• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you eat a pound of chocolate, can you gain more than one pound?

HappyMommy2

<font color=green>He loves that Disney quasi-"futu
No, I am NOT planning to eat a pound of chocolate! I dream about it though, sometimes ;)

But a friend of mine recently asked me this hypothetical question, and it got me to wondering. CAN you gain more than the food you eat actually weighs?

Just a silly question. Has anyone ever thought about this? :crazy:

Funny you should ask this. Supposedly i know the answer to this. Cause somebody asked almost the same question of Marilyn Savant who writes for the Parade magazine in Sunday papers. She said that if you eat 1lb of chocolate or 1lb of anything else. Then you will only gain 1lb from eating it. She always gets questions like that in her column. So if I'm wrong then she's wrong LOL

:wave:

Well, the human body contains many different substances. Some of the ones that can weigh considerable amounts are water, fat, and muscle. The body also contains glycogen (animal starch) in the liver and muscles, and this tends to be bound to water. Glycogen contains 4 calories per gram, the same as all carbs, but can be bound to about 4 or 5 more grams of water. There are 452 calories per pound, so a pound of glycogen bound to water contains only about 500 calories.

Dieters often deplete their glycogen stores early on while dieting. This is where the "water weight" lost in the early stages of low carb diets typically comes from.

If you eat more calories than you burn, the body can use the extra calories to replace the glycogen stores. It would take only 500 excess calories to replace 1 pound of water-bound glycogen. A pound of chocolate is something like 2500 - 3000 calories, so you could gain 5 or 6 pounds as a result of eating it. However, most of this weight would be water, and would come off quickly when you started dieting again.

assuming my maths is right (which isnt often) it's even better than that. One pound of chocolate is 16oz (I think): 1oz of chocolate is around 115-150 calories, therefore 1lb of chocolate contains 1840-2400 calories which is half to 2/3 of a 1lb weight gained (seeing as 1lb is 3500 calories!!). Of course my maths could be completely wrong, in which case what do I know!!!

However the math works - I'm pretty sure you would gain more than a pound. I think it's an apples and oranges equation since your talking weight into calories conversion. Can't we get some skinny person to experiment with?:smooth:

Well, I HAVE eaten a pound of chocolate.....last valentines day. It was a wake up call that I had and ADDICTION!

I actually did not gain weight from it, but I was already pretty heavy.

Wow.....1 pound of chocolate (if it's goooood chocolate ;) ) might be worth it!! LOL

No, you can't gain more weight than you eat. It's one of the basic rules of physics - the law of mass conservation states that mass can neither be created nor destroyed, except in a nuclear reaction. JudyS is right in that eating that pound of chocolate might cause you to retain water, in which case it would appear that you gained more than one pound. However, the maximum weight gain that the chocolate by itself could cause you cannot exceed its own weight.

I refuse to believe that if I ate all the chocolate mousse I wanted (which weighs very little) that I would only gain what it weighed. That's absurd.

...and what about cotton candy?:confused:

TVCDiff - Let me try to explain how I’m thinking about it. Say you got up today, used the restroom, and then weighed yourself. Then for today, you consume one pound of fried chicken, one pound of chocolate mousse, and two pounds of water that day. You eat exactly that and nothing more. When you get on the scale tomorrow, could you possibly weigh more than 4 pounds above what you weighed the day yesterday? If so, where is the additional weight coming from? If your body is somehow turning the 4 lbs of food and beverage you ate into 5 lbs of weight, it must have picked up an additional pound somewhere – it couldn’t have created it out of the air.

I did try the math approach as well. There are 9 calories in a gram of fat and 453.5923 grams in a pound, so there are 4,082 calories in a pound of pure fat, the most calorie-dense substance we know. But wait - we’ve always heard that there are 3500calories in a pound, right? This confused me at first, until I found the following website for the University of Florida’s College of Health and Human Performance. Here’s the quote from it:
Q. In books on nutrition, I'm told that to lose one pound of fat it's necessary either to reduce my food intake by 3500 calories or to exercise so that 3500 calories are burned. How is the value of 3500 determined? If fat contains 9 calories per gram, and there are 454 grams in a pound, then there should be 4086 calories in a pound of fat-- not 3500.

A. The nutrition books are correct-- 3500 calories per pound of fat is not an absolute amount, but it's very close. However, your math is correct, too. Here is the story.

When we burn fat, or other nutrients, heat is produced, which is measured in calories. As you note, each gram of fat generates 9 calories, and 454 grams equals one pound. But a pound of fat is not all fat. It's about 10% water. All of our body tissues--fat, muscle, bone, skin--contain some water. And water has zero calories.

In addition, not all the nutrients we eat are completely absorbed from the digestive tract to meet metabolic needs. In the case of fat, roughly 5% is eliminated in the feces. This 10% water content and 5% non-absorbed fat accounts for the 15% difference between your calculated 4086 calories and the actual 3500 calories in a pound of fat.

Two other minor points: The calories can be reduced when the meal is high in fiber. Fiber speeds the movement of food through the digestive system, there is less time for the nutrients to be absorbed before they are eliminated. So the non-absorbed fat could be a bit higher. Also, the amount of heat generated from fat differs a little for various foods (depending on fatty acid content). For example, there are 9.50 calories in one gram of meat compared with 9.30 calories for vegetables and fruits and 9.25 calories for dairy products.
So, we can’t really use the 3500 calories in a pound for this question. I did email the professor with this question. I’ll be happy to post any response that I get. In the meanwhile, all I can say is that it intuitively makes sense to me that you can’t gain more weight than you eat.

Originally posted by DVCTiff
...I'm still gonna keep looking for the skinny person to experiment with.

Well, when I get skinny, I will be taking you up on that experiment! :)

Thanks everyone for the great responses. My mind tells me that you can't gain more than the weight of what you eat, but my gut (literally) tells me that I'll gain more than one pound if I eat a pound of super-supreme pizza or chocolate or whatever!

Thanks for the scientific and mathematical insight that some of you provided. Kennancat, I would be interested to hear what that professor has to say! I think I am convinced now that eating a pound of chocolate won't result in a more-than-a-pound gain (REAL gain I mean, not just water weight).

Thanks again everyone :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter