If you didnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, many people DO think SAHMs are lazy. I think that's why so many feel the need to defend themselves.

As to which is more difficult - I truly don't believe which is more difficult doesn't enter into the choice for most women. If your logic continues - if working is more difficult why would anyone CHOOSE to do it? People make choices, not only for financial reasons, but because it's what they want, what they believe is the best choice for their family, etc.

I don't know ANYONE who made their choice because they were simply picking the easiest option. Ease depends on a lot of things. It might be easier to stay home on days your kids are all at school and you don't have other pressing responsibilities on that day. It might be easier to go to work if you're leaving sick kids in someone else's care that day. I've experienced the "ease" of both and it really has had no impact on my choices whatsoever. I don't know anyone who makes decisions based on ease, even if they enjoy the easy days.

lol, I bet low-key never thought when he started this thread that it would turn into a bunch of women scratching each other's eyes out:rotfl: Something he would prefer to see them do in a pool of jello:lmao:

lol, I bet low-key never thought when he started this thread that it would turn into a bunch of women scratching each other's eyes out:rotfl: Something he would prefer to see them do in a pool of jello:lmao:

hahaha! :rotfl:

These threads (topic) always get so ugly. :scared:

Actually, many people DO think SAHMs are lazy. I think that's why so many feel the need to defend themselves.

As to which is more difficult - I truly don't believe which is more difficult doesn't enter into the choice for most women. If your logic continues - if working is more difficult why would anyone CHOOSE to do it? People make choices, not only for financial reasons, but because it's what they want, what they believe is the best choice, etc.

I don't know ANYONE who made their choice because they were simply picking the easiest option.

Well said!

My mother gave up a very accomplished career as a professor at a prestigious university to stay home with my siblings and me, and it was a tremendous sacrifice for her, but one she made willingly to do the best she could for her family.

My wife is as an executive for a global financial company, spends many days on the road and many late nights at work, and it is a tremendous sacrifice for her, but one she makes willingly to do the best she can for her family.

I think "both sides" need to stop looking at it as being an issue with two sides, and rather embrace the fact that nearly everybody is doing the very best that they can for their children, for their families, and for the world, regardless of the choice they make!

I do love jello. It's a shame I am a working mom because otherwise I bet I'd have some in my fridge chilling for just these moments. Damn that job!!!

Note to self: Ask nanny to make jello tomorrow :p

I really have no response for that line of thinking.

I'm not sure why it's such a difficult concept. It's a matter of math really. Person 1 has 10 things to do every day. Person 2 does those same 10 things, and 3 more. Whose day is more difficult?

Honestly, I think trying to compare being a SAHM to a working mom is like comparing a mom of 1 to a mom of 4. Quite obviously, the mom of 4 - all other things being equal - more than likely has a more difficult day in front of her every day.

I'm a SAHM and I'll admit I have a lot of free time, I personally enjoy it! It's great to have several hours to scrapbook in the middle of the day. My kids are 9 & 10 and I wouldn't dream of having a job. What am I supposed to do with the kids all summer, Christmas break, spring break, and all the various days off? Just last week they were off Tues. for election day, and Fri. for staff development! How about days they are sick? I enjoy being able to play with them all summer long. We go on camping trips, to the park, pools, the lake, Six Flags, mini-trips and vacation. We actually have very few free days during the summer, no bored kids at my house! On the rare day we don't have an adventure planned everyone is crashing! I enjoy being able to have fun with them anytime they have a day off. Our house is a small 3 bedroom ranch, I have a cleaning schedule that takes about 15-30 minutes per day. The kids do their own laundry and all the towels, etc. so I only do 2 loads of mine and my husbands a week. I go grocery shopping once a week, that takes an hour and a half or so. I am a substitute teacher, and sub on Mondays. I do this for summer vacation money :) I am very happy with my life and wouldn't have it any other way :thumbsup2

As to which is more difficult - I truly don't believe which is more difficult doesn't enter into the choice for most women. If your logic continues - if working is more difficult why would anyone CHOOSE to do it? People make choices, not only for financial reasons, but because it's what they want, what they believe is the best choice for their family, etc.

I don't know ANYONE who made their choice because they were simply picking the easiest option. Ease depends on a lot of things. It might be easier to stay home on days your kids are all at school and you don't have other pressing responsibilities on that day. It might be easier to go to work if you're leaving sick kids in someone else's care that day. I've experienced the "ease" of both and it really has had no impact on my choices whatsoever. I don't know anyone who makes decisions based on ease, even if they enjoy the easy days.

Well said!

My mother gave up a very accomplished career as a professor at a prestigious university to stay home with my siblings and me, and it was a tremendous sacrifice for her, but one she made willingly to do the best she could for her family.

My wife is as an executive for a global financial company, spends many days on the road and many late nights at work, and it is a tremendous sacrifice for her, but one she makes willingly to do the best she can for her family.

I think "both sides" need to stop looking at it as being an issue with two sides, and rather embrace the fact that nearly everybody is doing the very best that they can for their children, for their families, and for the world, regardless of the choice they make!

Both of your posts are well said. So silly to knock either side. :goodvibes

Well, I can only speak directly for our experience. My wife having time off makes everything a LOT easier on both her AND on me in every single way EXCEPT for financial. And that ease most definitely played a HEAVY role in our decision to downgrade her from a good, full-time job with benefits to a part-time job with no benefits and 2/3 her former hourly wage.

I can also say that I have for several months in the past been a SAHD, not by choice BTW. And my day was most certainly easier than trying to juggle work AND kids. If money were no object, I'd have never gone back to work.

I'm a SAHM and I'll admit I have a lot of free time, I personally enjoy it! It's great to have several hours to scrapbook in the middle of the day. My kids are 9 & 10 and I wouldn't dream of having a job. What am I supposed to do with the kids all summer, Christmas break, spring break, and all the various days off? Just last week they were off Tues. for election day, and Fri. for staff development! How about days they are sick? I enjoy being able to play with them all summer long. We go on camping trips, to the park, pools, the lake, Six Flags, mini-trips and vacation. We actually have very few free days during the summer, no bored kids at my house! On the rare day we don't have an adventure planned everyone is crashing! I enjoy being able to have fun with them anytime they have a day off. Our house is a small 3 bedroom ranch, I have a cleaning schedule that takes about 15-30 minutes per day. The kids do their own laundry and all the towels, etc. so I only do 2 loads of mine and my husbands a week. I go grocery shopping once a week, that takes an hour and a half or so. I am a substitute teacher, and sub on Mondays. I do this for summer vacation money :) I am very happy with my life and wouldn't have it any other way :thumbsup2

That's awesome :) Very happy for you :thumbsup2

I'm not sure why it's such a difficult concept. It's a matter of math really. Person 1 has 10 things to do every day. Person 2 does those same 10 things, and 3 more. Whose day is more difficult?

Honestly, I think trying to compare being a SAHM to a working mom is like comparing a mom of 1 to a mom of 4. Quite obviously, the mom of 4 - all other things being equal - more than likely has a more difficult day in front of her every day.

OH it really isn't a difficult concept even for a SAHM. We are slow sometimes. What I have a problem with is your assuming that women do it because it is easy, or at least some of them do. I find that extremely insulting. I wanted to stay home with my kids no matter how hard or easy it is. My DH feels the same way. What if I implied that women go to work because they can't be bothered with raising kids on a full time basis and it was easier to not have to deal with them for at least 40 hours out of the week? I am a mom of 3, my DH works crazy hours, weekends and holidays. I am very often the one taking kids places for those moms who work, I don't mind at all, they have to work and I volunteer to do it, I don't begrudge it, but the attitude I am seeing here against SAHMs is really just very insulting. The only people trying to compare the two types of moms are the SAHS who are damn tired of being accused of laziness and basically wasting their time raising kids.

:eek: I thought I was clicking on a thread about the fun things people would do if they didn't have to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter