• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could choose

1. Jalapeno Cream Cheese Pretzel
2. I think a burrito at Rancho Del Zocalo or Cocina Cucomonga are probably the best deals, with Plaza Inn Chicken second.
3. Good old fruit.

You asked some questions I've spent much, much, much time thinking about. So much time. ;) If time thinking about this was money, I'd be eating 3 meals a day in the Blue Bayou.

1: I would chose the mini cupcakes from one of the bakeries. My kids (there are 4 of us) loved this. Everyone gets to pick one & then there's an extra 2 for the kids for later.

If you want to make it two snacks *wink wink nudge nudge*, we've also split churros (1/2 each) during World of Color & Dole Whips while in line for Indie.

2: I feel like we get the most out of our buck at Rancho del Zocalo. We go every time we're there. It's also our comfort food, so that's an added bonus. Once upon a time, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port was a good value for us, but that's not my experience any more.

3: I bring: Turkey sausage sticks, chocolate coated almonds (not a melty chocolate covering, it's a dry coating), dried fruit & granola bars. All stuff that's high protein, low on simple sugars & can get beat up in my bag haha. We get enough sugar in the park & always feel short on lean proteins & fiber.

Wooo, it sounds like I'm a penny pincher, but I'm really not (as you said, DLand on a budget, ha!), but we are aware of our costs & our calories.

But I suspect this is the one place I won't be accused of "over thinking" our Disney trips!

We like Whitewater snacks (usually my daughter and I share the nachos), Corn dogs (yummy, but don't think about how bad they are for you), Taste Pilot's, and Flo's. My youngest likes anywhere that serves macaroni and cheese, or she eats a PB & J that I've brought in for her, or (gasp!) the ultimate treat for her is Vienna sausages (I don't allow them at home). We've also been known to buy a kid's power pack for the girls to split (w/a PB & J). At Flo's, I usually buy one adult meal (the turkey) and one kid's meal for the three of us to split (I usually sub Mac & cheese for one of the adult sides). Splitting is often the best way to go - it controls costs and reduces waste. My oldest's palette is starting to mature, so she is normally happy to share.

My favorite "snack" (I usually make a meal of it) is a jalapeño cheese pretzel. Sometimes DD9 and I share one of those and a chicken skewer from Bengal BBQ. She and I also like the "chimichangas" (in quotes because it isn't what I think of as a chimi) from the carts. We always buy popcorn, we sometimes buy caramel corn, and we normally hit Ghiradelli (not a budget place, but so yummy). For budget soft serve ice cream from that place on the Pier or the Cozy Cone, order a large and then ask for an extra cup - viola, two kids get ice cream for $4. The pretzel bites from the cozy cone are also very good.

We bring in - PB & J for the kids, fruit roll-ups/nuggets, crackers or pretzels, granola bars and trail mix. I usually also have some of those flavor packets for water.

I should have said favorite treat excluding Dole Whip. Lol. That is a given. We always get one of those!

1) Churro or Dole Whip.
2) Plaza Inn for chicken, Hungry Bear for the fried green tomato sandwich
3) We brought all sorts of little snacks the last time: goldfish, granola bars, string cheese, bananas, packs of pre-sliced apples and peanut butter.

Love this thread!!

1.DL: Caramel apple from Poohs candy shop, or a truffle, or tigger tail... But we always patronize them ;)
DCA: soft serve ice cream from cozy cone or the pier, or popcorn from that cart :)

2. DL: best deal? The corn dog :)
DCA: I though Flos was great, big meal and tasty!

3. Dh and dd(10) are gluten-free, so we pack a lot of snacks. I also try to economize our time and $, so we snack in line or waiting for a show and try to only do 1 meal in the parks...
Fruit, Trail mix, squeezable applesauce pouches, protein bars, Cliff bars, water bottles and drink mix packets, cheese, turkey and pepperoni (freeze a water bottle for ice, then drink when thawed), and almonds (sometimes chocolate covered-we go in nov or dec ;))

1. Disneyland treat -- At this time of year (Halloween Time), I will choose the Limited Time Magic Spooky Kooky (zombie) gingerbread cookie, found only in New Orleans Square. It is soft, fresh and delicious. If that was not available I would go for a gingerbread cookie with Mouse ears.

California Adventure treat -- I'd pick a pineapple spear, from that place on Buena Vista Street that sells the fruit and juices and what not. The spears are refreshing, juicy and yummy!

I would also swing by Ghirardelli for a free sample of pumpkin chocolate (or peppermint bark during the holidays).

If we are in the holiday/Christmas season, I would still get the gingerbread cookie in DL but I'd get peppermint ice cream in DCA.

2. Best bang for your buck counter service place -- Hmmm. In Downtown Disney, I actually think that Earl of Sandwich is a better value than most of the places in the parks in terms of price relative to portion size. But if we are only talking inside the parks I guess that Plaza Inn is good. River Belle Terrace also serves pretty substantial sandwiches.

3. I don't bring any snacks into the parks with me (other than bottles of water) but if I did it would be something protein-rich, like something with peanut butter. Maybe little Ritz Bits or something along those lines. I also really like Promax bars -- have you had those? Their cookies & cream bars are quite tasty and they have a lot of protein.

First may I suggest - We like to get 1 treat at a time and split it, so that we can experience a greater variety of treats :) There are 4 of us, so we tend to get 4 treats a day. With everyone sharing, it works out to a good portion over the course of the day.

Treats:
DL: Boysen Apple Freeze
CA: Cozy Cone Soft Serve (close second: Marshmallows)
Both: Cream Cheese Pretzel

Best bang for $ meal:
DL: Plaza for large portions and splitability (though I don't think it's the best food)
CA: Flos for splitability (though prices seem high), fun selection.

Bring from home:
Fruit, granola, granola bars.

Treat: Let each person pick out one item at Pooh's Corner. There is a wide variety there. My vote is for the caramel apple rolled in peanuts. I have one son who likes Tigger Tails, one who likes the brownies. popcorn::

Counter Service: I would have to say Flo's Café because it almost has a table service feel to it. The theming and atmosphere is excellent, as well as the view. In that respect you are getting more for your money. :teacher:

Snack to bring: I think nuts or trail mix would be an excellent choice. :idea:

Midnightred

Love this question, great thinking OP!

1 - plain caramel apple or peanut butter heaven

2 - Plaza Inn chicken for sure. Definitely large enough for 2 and delicious.

3 - Goldfish, granola bars, raisins, PB&J's, beef jerky.

I would suggest packing a variety of items and then make "goody bags" for each of your kids depending on their tastes. If you shop beforehand and prepare the bags in advance (wihout the kiddies) it will be a nice surprise everyday. You could also consider adding little Disney mementos in each bag. Again, if you shop before you leave at target/walmart you can get great little treats for low cost. Things like stickers, keychain, pins, small plush toys, notebook etc... it's a great way to do Disney magic on a budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter