If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

I would like to see them lower prices for Alaska Cruises. For a line that doesn't even
go to Glacier Bay it sure is expensive. Even above the usual "Disney" expensive.
I’ve found both my Alaska cruises in line with other Disney pricing however both of my cruises have been when kids are in school.

Disney aren’t going to reduce their prices if their one Alaska based ship is selling out in summer.

Disney aren’t going to reduce their prices if their one Alaska based ship is selling out in summer.
That is pretty much Disney's business model. So far, they haven't gone so high that people won't fill the ship.

I’ve found both my Alaska cruises in line with other Disney pricing however both of my cruises have been when kids are in school.

Yeah summer break is way more. Although Im curious when you sailed and price if you don't mind
sharing. Last year my brother and his GF sailed NCL mid September balcony for 2100. We sailed
Princess to Alaska last year May and again early June and was around similar price for balcony. If you
sailed DCL May or September (shoulder season) what was your price for balcony? We have tentative
Wonder booking in Aug and never really thought about moving it to September since I thought
weather would be a factor.

Last edited:

Yeah summer break is way more. Although Im curious when you sailed and price if you don't mind
sharing. Last year my brother and his GF sailed NCL mid September balcony for 2100. We sailed
Princess to Alaska last year May and again early June and was around similar price for balcony. If you
sailed DCL May or September (shoulder season) what was your price for balcony? We have tentative
Wonder booking in Aug and never really thought about moving it to September since I thought
weather would be a factor.
I’m probably no help as I don’t do a balcony in Alaska. I did it in 2012 (May) and am going this September on the 8 night.

I know that this won’t happen because of the current trend toward more concierge space. My request would be that the Outlook area on the Wonder be turned back into a public space. It was such a nice, relaxing space and really wonderful when sailing Alaska. On our first Alaska cruise I’m not sure that my aunt would’ve had any enjoyment at all on our glacier day if not for the Outlook. If we were sailing with her to Alaska today, I would not book DCL because of that. I know that experiences will vary, but on our most recent Alaska cruise last June, that space seem to be very lightly used by concierge guests.

I know that this won’t happen because of the current trend toward more concierge space. My request would be that the Outlook area on the Wonder be turned back into a public space. It was such a nice, relaxing space and really wonderful when sailing Alaska. On our first Alaska cruise I’m not sure that my aunt would’ve had any enjoyment at all on our glacier day if not for the Outlook. If we were sailing with her to Alaska today, I would not book DCL because of that. I know that experiences will vary, but on our most recent Alaska cruise last June, that space seem to be very lightly used by concierge guests.
Totally agree and this is why I hope DCL forward think and build a ship with more inside viewing areas for when they eventually retire the Wonder.

I do not think that most cruisers realize that the Wonder had to be retrofitted in other words reinforced to sail thru the colder Alaska waters and how much the fuel costs to go up the inside passage and the outside passage. Even have to bring onboard a special captain to manouver thru the passage!!
That is pretty much Disney's business model. So far, they haven't gone so high that people won't fill the ship.

I know this might not go over well and could start arguments but I would like to see an 18 and older cruise.
I think there would be enough of a demand they could do at least one a year. Make it a seven day with 2 stops at Cast Away Cay.
Now I have nothing against kids. My wife and I have been on thirteen seven day cruises over the last 22 years and we have always had a great time. I think it would sell out fast especially with 2 stops at Cats Away Cay.
They could do it during a time of the year most kids are in school.
Just a thought, please don't hate me:scared:
PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!

Oh wait, you were teasing me... :flower1:

Probably unpopular opinion here…but I would like to see a drink package that isn’t just beer and wine. We just sailed wonder of the seas in star class (won a RoyalUp bid) and not having to think about cost was an unexpected bonus. We aren’t super drinkers and haven’t ever had a beverage package before. It was awesome to be able to truly relax and not worry about another $28 being added to the stateroom account for two poolside punches. In fact, we are booked on a merry time cruise in a deluxe family verandah and it is already more expensive than star class on the wonder. It’s hard to stay with Disney knowing what else is out there with more incentives and less cost. 😬

What's honestly annoying me the most right now is that I can't cancel a booked activity for just one person in my party. I have to cancel the whole group and then hope I can add back the ones that want to keep it. This is even true if two people have individual spa treatments that happen to be scheduled at the same time.

Will we be charged is we wait until boarding to cancel these individual bookings?

What's honestly annoying me the most right now is that I can't cancel a booked activity for just one person in my party. I have to cancel the whole group and then hope I can add back the ones that want to keep it. This is even true if two people have individual spa treatments that happen to be scheduled at the same time.

Will we be charged is we wait until boarding to cancel these individual bookings?
If it’s a port adventure, yes, you will be charged. If it’s a spa appointment, tasting, or adult dining, then you can cancel on board.

1) Improved loyalty program and benefits, after seeing the Pearl benefits it's a bit disappointing (and we're only Gold, so not a personal thing). Return the reception for Pearl (maybe Platinum guests) on all cruises, not just those 8+ days. Understand not doing Gold on those, too many people. Include real perks at various level: free laundry, upgraded dinner to Remy or Enchante, free WiFI, drink package, specialty coffee package, free spa treatment, excursion stateroom credit, premium tour options on ship, early check-in, etc. Reintroduce priority boarding: Concierge + Pearl, then Platinum.

2) Improved concierge benefits similar to other lines (again, haven't sailed concierge, so not a personal thing), upgraded dining opportunity at Palo or Remy (1 night or maybe multiple if 8+ days cruise), free premium WiFi, free laundry or free laundry service (one-time), free drinks available around the ship vs. just the lounge, etc.

Otherwise, I wish they would simply change the "mad dash at midnight" process for all in some way (maybe by Castaway Club status vs. only Pearl/Platinum getting priority as I was thinking in loyalty program benefits) and have a bit more appealing wait in the terminal(s) - snacks / beverages even if for purchase.

I would change the constant pressure for everything to be "excellent" at dinner. Our last couple cruises made our dinners exhausting because we had to reassure our staff every 10 minutes that we loved everything, loved them, loved the food, and would tell them if anything was less than excellent. It took away from the enjoyment and put all of the focus and energy on their performance. It got really old. It actually made me more hesitant to tell them if I didn't like something or wanted something different. And I fully understand that this is not at all the fault of the servers! But it makes our dinners less enjoyable. On both of our last cruises we skipped dinner in the MDR at least once just so we could have a quiet dinner.

I would change the constant pressure for everything to be "excellent" at dinner. Our last couple cruises made our dinners exhausting because we had to reassure our staff every 10 minutes that we loved everything, loved them, loved the food, and would tell them if anything was less than excellent. It took away from the enjoyment and put all of the focus and energy on their performance. It got really old. It actually made me more hesitant to tell them if I didn't like something or wanted something different. And I fully understand that this is not at all the fault of the servers! But it makes our dinners less enjoyable. On both of our last cruises we skipped dinner in the MDR at least once just so we could have a quiet dinner.
I have heard this multiple times however in all the cruises my wife and I have been on this has never happened to us to the extent people are mentioning. I can only remember once or twice it being mentioned on the first night at the main dinning room over the last several years.

Probably unpopular opinion here…but I would like to see a drink package that isn’t just beer and wine. We just sailed wonder of the seas in star class (won a RoyalUp bid) and not having to think about cost was an unexpected bonus. We aren’t super drinkers and haven’t ever had a beverage package before. It was awesome to be able to truly relax and not worry about another $28 being added to the stateroom account for two poolside punches. In fact, we are booked on a merry time cruise in a deluxe family verandah and it is already more expensive than star class on the wonder. It’s hard to stay with Disney knowing what else is out there with more incentives and less cost. 😬
I agree. I sailed Princess in 2021 and we got their drink package. It was nice to not have the feeling of being 'nickel and dimed' every time we ordered a drink. I'm not sure DCL will ever got that route since they're more family-centric. But, I agree with you that it would be nice.

I agree. I sailed Princess in 2021 and we got their drink package. It was nice to not have the feeling of being 'nickel and dimed' every time we ordered a drink. I'm not sure DCL will ever got that route since they're more family-centric. But, I agree with you that it would be nice.

While I'm onboard with a drink package, I don't think Disney will ever do an unlimited package. Not because they're a "family" oriented offering (thought I'm sure that's a reason they'll give), but because they don't off anything unlimited really.

They do have "drink" packages. You can get a wine package or a beer package. They're just expensive and finite. They're not in the business of allowing you to have the advantage in a purchase.

I would vote for bring back the line up of people in the boarding area. That was much more orderly than the current numbers with so many people standing around right where you try to enter the Mickey head.

Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get inline. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter