If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

I’d like them to put on the itineraries when special nights like formal or pirate are. It would be helpful for first time cruisers to pack. We just went on a merrytime cruise and it would have been fun to have a holiday dress up night with a special menu.

One improvement they've already made. Moving from Miami to Fort Lauderdale.
I actually like the area around Port of Miami. Beautiful port to watch from the ship as you sail out. I also enjoy staying on Biscayne Bay (Intercontinental) and eating and shopping at the nearby Brickell District. But I do get it, Ft. Lauderdale is very pretty and more relaxed of an area.

I actually like the area around Port of Miami. Beautiful port to watch from the ship as you sail out. I also enjoy staying on Biscayne Bay (Intercontinental) and eating and shopping at the nearby Brickell District. But I do get it, Ft. Lauderdale is very pretty and more relaxed of an area.

It is all about the airport for me.

It is all about the airport for me.
The FLL aiport is the 9th circle of hell. I couldn't hate an airport more. I've lost count of the number of times I've been jammed in one wing of one of the tiny little terminals with a couple hundred new friends all waiting through a multi-hour flight delay (if not outright cancellation), sometimes with a toddler.

For me, if I could change one thing it would be the itineraries. I know they have to appeal to families, but one thing that cruising can do is make it possible to visit a bunch of interesting places in one trip without having to negotiate travel or unpack more than once. We took the Disney+ deal for our cruise next week, but for me this trip is about the Dream, which we've never been on, and the port is convenient for us. The novelty of everything we're never done (The Aqueduck, Beauty and Beast show, Remy, Midship Detective, Pirate Night) will make up for the snoozy ports. But we won't sail this itinerary more than once. I've been to Nassau too many times and have no desire to return again.

Scrap the Wish (or send it to the Asian market), stop work on the Treasure, and design a boat that has the convenience and amenities of the older boats (e.g. a promenade, shaded adult areas, adult after-hours districts)
I'm totally in agreement with all of this for any ship that will sail more than the short Bahamas Route (The Wish is fine for the short, family packed, Bahamas milk run). I'd also like to see better loyalty program. Other cruise lines do it so much better. (I get it that DCL doesn't really need to since they always sail full, but maybe someday they will need to actually entice us back.) And finally, more varied Caribbean ports - We don't even get off the ship any more in Jamaica or St. Thomas.

Last edited:
1. Make sailings during school breaks more affordable. The sailings during school breaks are like twice the price.
The problem is, anymore, it seems like every week is a school break somewhere in the U.S.
I had never heard of "Jersey Week" before I got on the DIS. Apparently a jam packed week at WDW.
About 20 years ago the public schools here started taking President's Day WEEK off, not just President's Day, and Thanksgiving WEEK, instead of just Thanksgiving and the day after. Both are now jam packed weeks at DL.
Throw in year round schools......where one third of all a districts kids are always off track , and the many Disney fans who seem to have no issue taking their kids out of school for a vacation, almost every week is a peak week.

#2 - Give us some rooms that have two beds in them. Ditch the sofa. Basically, a double-bedded hotel room. Or go back to offering the one bed that separates.

It might need to be an interior or oceanview to manage placement of the desk, but I’d trade the balcony for real beds.

I agree the one thing I would like to see is going back to having the ability to have 2 beds. I travel either with my mom or my best friend. It is always an awkward conversation over who is getting the bed. The two bed set up were maybe not as comfortable but they were equal! Would love if they just had a few rooms that were able to have this since I know others love the one bed set up. Being able to choose the 2 bed set up is one reason I consider other cruise lines
Agreed! The rooms are set up for nuclear families with kids who are young and/or small enough for the couch and bunks to work well. They were absolutely perfect when my kids were younger. They aren't great for many other traveling parties, though, or else we wouldn't have as many threads here asking about the size limits and/or comfort of those beds. I'm not saying every room has to change, but there is no good reason why they can't have different categories of rooms to give us more options.

We're moving on to other lines, too. My 6'5" 14yo isn't shrinking and is not going to fit in anything but a regular bed. DS14 is our youngest, so even if we traveled on DCL just 3 of us - we'd still have to book 2 rooms, b/c my middle-aged 5'10" self is not climbing up a ladder to sleep. He and DD17 are both looking forward to NCL and our pre-stay Swedish hotel that has two actual beds in their room.

A return to the paper navigator left in your room every night. As well as not having to ask for a real menu at dinner. One of my favorite things about cruising used to be unpacking my suitcase, turning off my phone, throwing it into my suitcase, and shoving it under the bed. Impossible to do now that everything is on the app. Yes, I'm a luddite, but I hate having to be constantly staring at the stupid shiny box while I'm on vacation.

A return to the paper navigator left in your room every night. As well as not having to ask for a real menu at dinner. One of my favorite things about cruising used to be unpacking my suitcase, turning off my phone, throwing it into my suitcase, and shoving it under the bed. Impossible to do now that everything is on the app. Yes, I'm a luddite, but I hate having to be constantly staring at the stupid shiny box while I'm on vacation.
:thumbsup2

About 20 years ago the public schools here started taking President's Day WEEK off, not just President's Day,

I know in NYC the week off goes back to when it was Washington's Birthday one week and Lincoln's Birthday the next...and there was the oil crisis. So rather than having 2 weeks where the school boilers would be turned down for the weekend then have to work extra hard and use more oil getting the building warm for 4 days they went to just having the week between them off. Then the federal holidays of those birthdays were merged into Presidents' Day - but the week was in our contract so it has remained.

Incidentally we don't get Thanksgiving WEEK off or more than a week at Christmas. We get Thanksgiving and the day after off - and then we get Christmas Eve through Jan 1 (or 2nd if the 1st falls on a weekend making the federal holiday be on Monday).

I know in NYC the week off goes back to when it was Washington's Birthday one week and Lincoln's Birthday the next...and there was the oil crisis. So rather than having 2 weeks where the school boilers would be turned down for the weekend then have to work extra hard and use more oil getting the building warm for 4 days they went to just having the week between them off. Then the federal holidays of those birthdays were merged into Presidents' Day - but the week was in our contract so it has remained.

Incidentally we don't get Thanksgiving WEEK off or more than a week at Christmas. We get Thanksgiving and the day after off - and then we get Christmas Eve through Jan 1 (or 2nd if the 1st falls on a weekend making the federal holiday be on Monday).
Interesting. Especially since Lincoln's Birthday was never a Federal holiday.
One school district in the next county over takes three weeks off from Christmas. They have a large population of students from Mexico, and many of them go home to Mexico for the holiday. I guess when they just took two weeks off, absences the first week back were very low because many of those students extended their stay in Mexico.

Interesting. Especially since Lincoln's Birthday was never a Federal holiday.
One school district in the next county over takes three weeks off from Christmas. They have a large population of students from Mexico, and many of them go home to Mexico for the holiday. I guess when they just took two weeks off, absences the first week back were very low because many of those students extended their stay in Mexico.

IDK, that is what I was told for why we had the week off.

The Mexico thing makes sense as they have their major celebration on January 6 - Three Kings Day (or Epiphany). So if a school district is going to be out the week before but also stay closed through the 6th, it's going to be longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter