if you could be granted 3 home improvement wishes to your home what would they be?

:faint: My wish would be that the real-life reno we’re currently grinding through would magically be completely finished. Other than impossible things like turning our new 2 bed/2bath condo into a 3&3 with vaulted ceilings, and having the terrace be both complete private while maintaining the panoramic view, we are already doing everything that can be done to make it ideally to our taste.

Oh wait! There is one thing. It would be lovely if one of the picture windows in the living room could be replaced with one that opens, for better cross-ventilation, but the condo board doesn’t allow that type of modification. :(

Living in an early 1800’s fixer upper that still isn’t done after 40+ years my list is WAY more than just 3 but here goes…
Either a downstairs bedroom or upstairs bathroom
Landscaping (I have none at all)
Deck off the back door (we have 2 concrete steps and that’s it)

I could go on and on…….

Another bedroom w/ ensuite bath (I'll count that as 2)
More room in the kitchen for a generous pantry

1. Remodel the kitchen. We are stuck in the 80’s here and it is getting more run down every month.
2. Redo the deck—we’ve replaced a few boards, but really the whole thing needs redone. We’ve been here 22 years and it wasn’t new when we moved in.
3. Add space and redo main bedroom and bath. The bath is original 1960’s—pink and brown tile, sink…hideous and tiny. The bedroom just needs to be a little bit bigger.

My list would be extensive but if I am only choosing 3 I am going with:

Insulate - which mean remediate the vermiculate
Replace the 5 bays windows which are now 40 years old
Add a small screened in porch

I could go on and on but I was only granted 3 things...

update the kitchen and add an island instead of a peninsula,
expand master bath/remodel
build in an electric fireplace into the wall (currently have a stand alone electric)

1. New roof-our roof starting leaking last winter during some major rainstorms-we've had a tarp up since January. Apparently we have a 30 year roof because the house was built around 1992, bought it in 2008. We've had 3 companies come out to give us quotes- all around 41k with gutters. This is a for a basic comp roof, nothing fancy like the concrete shingles I see on new houses.

2. Bathroom remodels-all three need to be renovated.

3. New siding on exterior of house-currently it's stucco and brick, want to remove or put lap siding over stucco, hate that stuff and it's also a pinkish salmon color, hideous.

Finish basement
Backyard redo--level and reseed plus extensive tree trimming
Replace siding--it was here when we moved in and it's pink.

A four season sun room addition across the back of the house.

New carpet on stairs, and in the one carpeted bedroom. It’s hideous.

Bathroom remodel ..I have a very specific vision for this one that would take it back to a 1930’s look with mosaic tile, soaker tub, etc.
The first two are possible, the third one is purely cosmetic and I doubt DH would ever agree.

A four season sun room addition across the back of the house.

New carpet on stairs, and in the one carpeted bedroom. It’s hideous.

Bathroom remodel ..I have a very specific vision for this one that would take it back to a 1930’s look with mosaic tile, soaker tub, etc.
The first two are possible, the third one is purely cosmetic and I doubt DH would ever agree.
I have an antique pedestal tub - it's gorgeous, however, it has become an art piece in the bathroom because my back is so bad that I can no longer get into or out of it. Our grandchildren love it though for bubble baths! If you are not tall, my advice is to get a tub that has curved sides with a dip in the middle for access and egress.

Complete kitchen remodel. Add dishwasher & more counter space.

Expand the two back bedrooms and add a en suite bathroom to the one.

New siding, fascia, gutters/downspouts.

The kitchen remodel. We're waiting on the design team to give us ideas.

All bathrooms to be remodeled. Tiny showers, like cruise ship size and I cannot! So many ideas and so little money.....

Just finished a space renovation recently so my current want is singular. I wanna change the window style which requires a municipal permit. Which means I should just buy some new drapes which will prolly be dry rotted/ out of style by the time the govt makes a decision, LOL .

Change staircase rails etc

new paint interior

new floors through out so they all match.

Oh goodness that's a hard one cause our house has so much wrong with it but:

New roof, I know we have a leak but hubby won't believe me. It's over 20 years old.
Rip out every ceiling to trace all the pipes and fix any leaking then replace the ceilings.
New kitchen floor. Our tiles started cracking years ago but there were only one or two. We had a small pin prick leak in our water line in the fridge we weren't aware of that slowly leaked down the wall into the basement then across the ceiling of the basement under the kitchen subfloor. Because it wet the subfloor (for who knows how long, we weren't aware of it until the basement ceiling collapsed) thus cracking just about every tile in the kitchen.

Other things I might think about instead of tracing the pipes:
Replace all the windows, there is one that leaks when it rains even though we have recaulked it a number of times and you can feel wind blowing through others.
Our house has shifted over the years and our brick steps leading up to the front porch are now crooked.
Repaint the outside.
Repaint the inside
New back deck
Redo hardwoods in dining room where window leaked.
Replace all the carpets in the bedrooms with hardwoods.
Replace the ceiling in the basement that collapsed with the leak.

Sell the darn house.

i'm taking this on the basis of a genie 'granting' my desires (so no consideration to feasability)-

a walk-in refrigerator and separate freezer. i want it restaurant style-pantry like shelves and bins so i can reduce my 1-2x per month shopping trips down to 4x per year :banana: :banana: :banana:

an asphalted and heated driveway. not just talking the concrete slab in front of the garage-the whole loooooooooooooong gravel driveway that leads up to it as well. i have heated mats that do a great job maintaining a small clear pathway on my slab during the snowy months but to never have to think about plowing or snowblowing :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

last but not least-for the area public transit to extend their reach so that paratransit would be available to my disabled adult son and so many others in need of it in rural settings. so many could benefit from it and it would reap much greater utilization:mic::mic::mic:

Always and forever that I am of tiny kind service from home to God. My wish would be that dad and I were no longer in any foot pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter