• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you are over 50, how much do you have saved for retirement? anonymous of course

If you over 50, how much do you have saved for retirement? anonymous of course

• over 500 K, we're all set

• over 250,000 and climbing

• 100,000 still saving

• less than 50 K

• absolutely nothing and am scared

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can’t imagine anyone living thinking about what they will leave to people That is crazy. My parents have only gotten a funeral bill. Lol

I don’t expect anything from anyone. It is their money and they deserve to spend it

We are 44 and my DH has almost twice as much as your highest number in his 401k and still climbing. We also have other investments. DH plans on retiring by age 55.

I agree that the numbers for the poll are not high enough for some respondents. I also do not feel asking on the DIS is a good cross section to "know if we're on target with everyone else." And then because it is the DIS, a bunch of people are going to answer $10M.lol

Yes you will need $10m in order to pay for those annual passes and take a cruise with the mouse.

My God. All of you with all of this money are so fortunate. I hope you realize that the option to have that much money saved isn't an option for everyone, no matter that they work 60+ hours a week, etc.

Yes I was lucky to major in engineering and live in a high income area. So many people think it is all about working hard. It is probably closer to 1/3 luck, 1/3 connections, and 1/3 hard work.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-intersection-of-fire-and-disney.3724231/page-25#post-60322149

Perhaps op would be interested in this thread.

Dh and I have worked our tails off in the workplace and at home without income gaps since we were teenagers.

We live in an area with lower incomes, but we've had decent business oriented jobs.

Dh's goal has been to retire with 2 pensions. He's got one now. Working toward #2.

We've got great kids 2 in college 1 done, 1 starting in 2020.

Home is paid for.

We've been saving for retirement since 22 years old.

Don't have millions due to comparatively low salaries, but expect to retire better off than a good majority of folks. Dh says after last one is out of college.

Just turned 5 0 this year.

I don’t care for the we’re all set statement. Anyone who thinks that concerning their future is foolish.

Maybe they don't care about money as much as others? They way I figure it if I am loaded I will certainly enjoy taking more trips in retirements. If I go bust there is always the joy of living and in being with others that I love.

Your poll isn't anonymous. The results are public.
O geez, I fudged my answer because I just wanted to see the results. :p
We, in fact, have saved for retirement, and will have a pension and decent SS, etc.
We're beginning to think about what that will look like in terms of where we want to live and all that, but with two in college still, it's a little hard to even think that way just yet.

We have pensions and just shy of your 500k, but we also still have 8-10 years left to work. We are debt free but helping 3 kids through college so once that's done in 4 more years we'll really begin socking away money.

We have a moderate income (I've only worked part time since kids born) but we've been saving since we started working in our early 20's. With my pension, his pension, my social security and our 401ks we'll actually have more money in retirement than we currently live on now.

Even if something happened to the pensions, I still feel we'd have enough money for our lifestyle just in what we saved in our investments.

I think people do the very best they can do. My parents had nothing--my father made $12,000 and he and my mother had 4 children. He didn't begin to save for retirement until about 15 years before he retired. Neither he or my mother were college educated. My mother took a job with the state of NJ as a secretary when my youngest sibling was 16. When my father retired at the age of 67, he had a little over $100K in his 401k--he thought he was a millionaire. My mother continued for work for a few more years. My father has since passed away, and my mother now has Alzheimer's. She lives very comfortably and happily in a wonderful memory care facility. Her care costs $6800 a month. Between her pension, SS, what my father left her and the sale of her home in NJ (about $240K), she has enough money to live comfortably for another 15 years. She's now 76 years old. She has wonderful healthcare through her previous employer. My siblings and I hope she exhausts every last penny--her children want for nothing. We feel blessed that she is living her days well.

My point is this--not everybody needs/wants a 2nd home, nor do they want to travel the world endlessly, or leave a small fortune to their children.

I hate to see people made to feel badly that they haven't saved enough.

This is so true. I come from different people that have posted here I guess. I don't think anyone in my family (I have one that I guess most likely does) or any of our close family friends had anywhere near the amounts of money being mentioned here, NOT EVEN CLOSE. And none of them ever complained about not having enough money and not being able to enjoy their retirement. But these are also people that have one house, travel in the US, and don't have many expensive things.

This is so true. I come from different people that have posted here I guess. I don't think anyone in my family (I have one that I guess most likely does) or any of our close family friends had anywhere near the amounts of money being mentioned here, NOT EVEN CLOSE. And none of them ever complained about not having enough money and not being able to enjoy their retirement. But these are also people that have one house, travel in the US, and don't have many expensive things.

I didn’t vote because I’m not over 50, but my experience is the exact opposite of yours. No one in my family planned for retirement and they are all financially troubled. My aunt asked all the grandkids to give my grandmother $100/mo because she spent all of her money and left herself with bills she couldn’t pay. My dad had to borrow money from us to fix his teeth recently because he failed to save for retirement. He walked around without teeth, omg, for weeks. Who does that?! I have learned what not to do from all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter