If they built a new Titanic replica ship, would you take a cruise on it?

Nope. Have you seen what the rooms on board that ship look like? There is a traveling Titanic exhibit that I would recommend checking out.

I have no desire to ever go on a cruise but even less of one to party and vacation on a replica of a ship where 1500 people died.
What's next building replicas of the Twin Towers for wedding receptions?

I have been interested in the Titanic since before the shipwreck was found. The museum in Belfast is on my wishlist of places I want to visit. I have visited the small Titanic exhibit here in Orlando, and am planning to visit the one in Pigeon Forge in the next year or two. While I would enjoy being able to board and explore the actual ship to pay my respects, no replica ship is going to be the same. I was actually a little disappointed that they turned the White Star offices into a hotel. It’s a beautiful hotel, from the photos I have seen, but when I see the drafting rooms turned into bars and restaurants, it makes me sad. I have always wanted to do a transatlantic cruise, not to follow in the steps of Titanic specifically, but simply to experience a form of travel that was prominent for years on ships like Olympic, Mauritania, or Normandie.

I know people reenact battles where people died as a way to remember and honor the dead. That never made a lot of sense to me either. I think there is a big difference in respectfully visiting a place where a tragic event occurred and literally recreating that event for your own amusement. I have been to Colonial Williamsburg, and it’s not the same thing. Visiting Williamsburg is not recreating one specific event, and a tragic event at that. If I went to Williamsburg and the only reenactment was the death of most of the citizens from a flood or a plague, I wouldn’t want to visit there either. Williamsburg is about how people lived their daily life in a different period in history, and I do find that interesting.

I wouldn't be interested, especially if they play up the historical angle with period costumes, etc. I don't think I'd be into the extended immersive experience, and I'm sure the price would be outrageous.

I assume we're not going to replicate the fatal flaws of course. Still No because modern ships are much more fun to be on and far better. In the movies we get to see lavishness and extravagance. But the reality on board even for first class was different. And steerage was a dump by today's standards.

I mean really. Look at this pool. Isn't it a total dump?

No. that's not the steerage pool although by our standards it might look like one. That is THE pool. And only first class could use it. Steerage didn't even get a pool. And it cost an extra fee.

No thanks.

Last edited:
There was a 100th anniversary Titanic cruise in 2012. Both descendants of those who died and history buffs attended. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=101325

A high school friend went. She is involved with what I think of as historical cosplay. She and her mom recreating outfits from various historical events/time periods.

I don't see this as offensive to the dead and would love to see a true replica. Frankly, modern cruise ships give people much more for much less money, so I don't think it would be very successful long term.

I've had an intense interest in the Titanic since I was a kid and read Raise the Titanic by Clive Cussler. When the ship was found, my interest only got more intense. I devour books on the subject, and watch all the documentaries I can get my hands on. There's a great channel on YouTube, Titanic University, which goes into great detail about aspects of the ship like the patterns on the linoleum, or the type of tea and coffee served to passengers. I enjoy that sort of thing.

Would I sail on a close replica? No. I find it...I don't know...in bad taste. @Mysterian is right- why would you want to follow in the footsteps of something that ended in such tragedy? I went to the Titanic exhibition at the Franklin Institute in Philly, where they had a big slab of real ice. The challenge was to see how long you could hold your hand to it before having to pull away, knowing that *that* was the temperature of the water that horrible night when so many people died. Not from drowning, but from exposure. It's awful to me to think about.

I'd avoid her maiden voyage.

And hopefully it wouldn't be 100% accurate replica- they need to fix the lifeboat issue.

There were details of the compartments that could theoretically be updated. Perhaps more compartments to keep the ship buoyant in case a few are breached. Also the design of the compartments. Any such concept would really be a modern ship with a skin meant to look retro.

But I don't see it happening. I would just seem so tacky.

I wouldn’t do it but not because I think it’s somehow wrong. I just wouldn’t want to spend the money and I think if you truly wanted the Titanic experience then as someone else said — be prepared to pay for it or be prepared to have a truly miserable experience and one that wouldn’t even be legally allowed to exist in today’s world.

I appreciate history - but that doesn’t mean I want to go experience it.

Current pandemic notwithstanding, there's been rumors for a few years of a company trying to create a new Titanic for people to ride, at least the look and styling of the cabins etc.

Would you want to take a cruise on it?

It would be cool to take a tour of a replica but not actually sail on it.

Same answer. I was a big Titanic buff for a while, and would definitely be interested in a tour if it was offered, but I would have no desire to sail on it. I don’t find cruising appealing in the first place, but it would also feel kind of creepy to me.

Depends.... do I get First Class? then yes! 3rd class no...
But we have the Queen Mary I and II somewhat similar with the style...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter