If I’m the CEO of Universal/Comcast, this is what I’d do

tommygunn

Maniacal Disney Addict!!!!!
They have a singular opportunity to crush the mouse. Chapek is a bean counter with zero vision and the Disney faithful are angry. Plus the company has zero plans to launch a proactive response to epic universe as is evidenced by the crickets heard at D23. Right now Disney is all about short term $$ and not thinking strategically.

So if I’m Universal I get aggressive. Before Epic universe is even built, I’d announce a fourth park. Say that the shovels would start on that park before Epic is even open. Now’s the time. Chapek is asleep at the wheel and within less than a decade you can be on nearly equal footing with Disney . Here’s why I like this strategy.

- timing is right, Disney leadership sucks

- it would tie Disney’s hands as to how they could response since universal would have most of the construction resources tied up for many years

- Disney fans are ripe for the taking as they are tired of getting penny pinched and would laud the decision.

- Disney would be shocked and caught flat footed. I’m sure they are not expecting to respond with anything major until Epic U is complete. Now they’d be forced to respond earlier but their options would be very limited as resources would already be under contract from universal.

This decision would not be without risk of course. Economy is unstable right now , and capital investment is more expensive with rates up, and this would put them in the red for the short term.

But imo it would be a bold and timely move. Anyway what do y’all think??

They have a singular opportunity to crush the mouse. Chapek is a bean counter with zero vision and the Disney faithful are angry. Plus the company has zero plans to launch a proactive response to epic universe as is evidenced by the crickets heard at D23. Right now Disney is all about short term $$ and not thinking strategically.

So if I’m Universal I get aggressive. Before Epic universe is even built, I’d announce a fourth park. Say that the shovels would start on that park before Epic is even open. Now’s the time. Chapek is asleep at the wheel and within less than a decade you can be on nearly equal footing with Disney . Here’s why I like this strategy.

- it would tie Disney’s hands as to how they could response since universal would have most of the construction resources tied up for many years

- Disney fans are ripe for the taking as they are tired of getting penny pinched and would laud the decision.

- Disney would be shocked and caught flat footed. I’m sure they are not expecting to respond with anything major until Epic U is complete. Now they’d be forced to respond earlier but their options would be very limited as resources would already be under contract from universal.

This decision would not be without risk of course. Economy is unstable right now , and capital investment is more expensive with rates up, and this would put them in the red for the short term.

To be fair, you are right that it is a good opportunity for Universal to expand, but there is the danger of being too aggressive. Plus, for all the talk of Disney penny-pinching, I did Universal recently and they easily give Disney a run for their money in the price department! The one-day ticket to Uni was actually slightly MORE than a one-day Disney ticket would have been for that day. Also, just my opinion, but Universal's offerings just weren't as good as what Disney provides. I saw massive improvements in Disney CM service levels this trip (from where it has been since the shut-down/reopening), but Uni was not so great I would say. One thing you are certianly not wrong about is that Disney needs to step it up right now. Get this stuff at the WDW parks DONE! Disneyland is already goign to open their Runaway Railway early while TRON is just moving at a snail's pace. They've still got room to work in their four parks, so I don't see a fifth on the horizon just yet, but they need to actually do it.

Its not a joking matter but if you drive around the construction area progress for EPIC … you realize they must have all the local construction companies and equipment on their property .
And that explains the slow progress at WDW…

During the holidays , I swear walking around Universal feels like they almost stole Osborne Spectacle and with a little more effort they would have it complete!
Every year same old same old at WDW So boring !

Please ignore my comments and stay away from USO Haha
Its getting too crowded.

While I would love to see it happen, it won't make a huge difference. Going by this board and others like it, it won't make much a difference as most Disney fans don't have much interest in Universal. They lack family friendly rides and lack the "magic" that many here love. The biggest one is for one reason or another Disney fans don't seem to like thrill rides as much.

I’m a local and would love to spend more time at UO (I’ve been and really enjoyed it) but I have a young child with special needs who doesn’t do thrill rides, a preschooler, and will have a newborn soon. They have zero for my kids to do (no, I’m not paying full price for them to play at a couple of playgrounds and the Seuss carousel) so it’s a non-starter for us 🤷‍♀️ If they want to start building more family friendly attractions we will get passes. Until then (or until my kids are way older) we will be sticking with Disney.

However I do see what you’re saying. Disney leadership sucks right now and Universal has an opportunity to pull more people away from WDW. Now if they will spend the money to do that, and widen their target demographic to do so, who knows.

Disney fans are ripe for the taking as they are tired of getting penny pinched and would laud the decision

They aren't though. People with little kids are looking at Disney more than they are uni due to the amount of stuff for kids. People that don't/can't do thrill rides all day aren't looking at uni. Those that have been and think it's fine for a day aren't looking at uni except to see the new stuff when it opens.

Disney is always going to win the nostalgia contest. Just as some uni people will never do Disney some Disney people will never do uni. It's not a valid replacement either way.

They'll get a bump when it opens but they aren't going to take a huge % off of Disney's attendance regardless of what Disney does.

I don't think Universal will ever "beat" Disney in terms of attendance as I think they appeal to two different demographics but I do think they have a chance at becoming more popular especially with the opening of Epic Universe. Here are some things I think Universal could do to make themselves more appealing to Disney diehards:

- Build more dark rides similar to E.T. Adventure and Secret Life of Pets at Universal Hollywood. These rides are great and can really appeal to the younger demographic, though I do not understand why Secret Life of Pets has a height requirement. E.T. I understand due to the bike like seats but Universal really does need more no height requirement dark rides. They have a lot of great IPs they could utilize for a ride like that.
- More rides on the same level of quality as Velocicoaster, Hagrid's and Revenge of the Mummy and less rides like Kong, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons and Fast and Furious. I'm happy to see Universal relying less on screen rides (and not so happy that Disney is building more of them).
- Incorporate Pokemon into Epic Universe. That will be harder to do than Mario since Nintendo does not fully own Pokemon but it would be a slam dunk for Universal to have a massive IP like Pokemon.
- Retheme Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent. These areas just look so......sad IMO. Who under the age of 20 knows who Dudley Do Right is?
- Invest more into the Studios park. Islands has gotten a lot of great additions that I feel are needed in Studios.

Last edited:

I would buy UVC today.

Starting with the new Epic Hotel.

Last edited:
While I would love to see it happen, it won't make a huge difference. Going by this board and others like it, it won't make much a difference as most Disney fans don't have much interest in Universal. They lack family friendly rides and lack the "magic" that many here love. The biggest one is for one reason or another Disney fans don't seem to like thrill rides as much.

There are plenty of family friendly rides. And the magic is long gone and dead.

There are plenty of family friendly rides. And the magic is long gone and dead.

And there's a lot more that aren't. The crossover between the fan bases isn't as some think. I've gone and can easily do the two parks in one day and and not stay til close. I'm far from the only one that's this way.

I think the reverse is the same though. Those hure uni fans aren't going to Disney or wasting a day there. It doesn't have the stuff they want to do. You aren't going to convince a uni fan that has been to Disney and thought meh to go there instead.

And there's a lot more that aren't. The crossover between the fan bases isn't as some think. I've gone and can easily do the two parks in one day and and not stay til close. I'm far from the only one that's this way.

I think the reverse is the same though. Those hure uni fans aren't going to Disney or wasting a day there. It doesn't have the stuff they want to do. You aren't going to convince a uni fan that has been to Disney and thought meh to go there instead.
A lot of that is for 2 reasons. 1 is if you have littles you aren't going to Universal. The bigger one is for some reason or another many don't like thrill rides.

1665276121587.png

In reality, many of the "family rides" Disney fans say Universal doesn't have are actually kids rides so in that sense yes most universal fans aren't interested in kids rides.

Its not a joking matter but if you drive around the construction area progress for EPIC … you realize they must have all the local construction companies and equipment on their property .
And that explains the slow progress at WDW…
Major projects at either of the parks will draw in construction resources from across the nation. There are contractors everywhere eager to work on projects for either of these organizations so shortage of construction resources is not a problem!

I think Universal should launch a competitor to DVC and use it to fund epic universe. I'm sure lots of people are ready to jump ship and buy.

In reality, many of the "family rides" Disney fans say Universal doesn't have are actually kids rides so in that sense yes most universal fans aren't interested in kids rides.
No they aren’t. There’s only a couple of rides in both Universal parks that don’t make my wife motion sick. There’s at least two rides in each Disney Park that she’ll do, and Magic Kingdom has more than a dozen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter