If global warming could be stopped and earth saved by ending the use of all forms of electricity, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is currently possible to drive an EV coast to coast using the interstates, has been for a couple years.

67% of people in the US live in single family homes. They will do the vast majority of charging at their home. I only ever user public chargers when on a road trip.

For multi unit dwellings there are already charging units that power share a single 220 circuit. 2-10 chargers per circuit. Since the majority of level 1 or 2 charging occurs overnight it actually works out well. Everyone wakes up to a full car, everyday.

As for time spent charging on a trip, depends on your driving style. My trips from Atlanta to Orlando have exactly 0 minutes added due to charging. In the past and the present we time the trip so that we eat on the way. Now we just make sure to pick a spot with a nearby DCFC station and eat while charging. For the second stop we do our shopping for the meals we plan to eat in the condo. Again we pick a stop with a DCFC and shop while charging. The net result is exactly 0 minutes difference between a trip in an ICE and a trip in an EV for my driving style.

As for large charging stations....the US is really lagging behind the rest of the world. Isn't that how it usually works? We lag way behind, finally get drug into the future and then catch up. I have yet to arrive at a DCFC station and had to wait. The US government has allocated $7.5 billion to expand the current DCFC network. Each state has submitted a plan to the Feds to get their portion of that money. The plans have to spell out stations every 50 miles along major travel corridors with a minimum of 4 chargers at each station. Here is Georgia's plan. https://nevi-gdot.hub.arcgis.com/

Here is the future of charging that will one day come to the US when it is drug kicking and screaming into the future.

And here is a Baltimore to Orlando trip in my Mach e. I for one would not drive that far, I would fly.

View attachment 697554

A lot of very smart people have spent a lot of time and money thinking about the issue and providing solutions.

Ive made that drive 3 times. Theyre not that bad when you get used to it.

So you typically drive a car beyond the warranty period. Nothing changes with an EV. You are just driving it beyond the warranty period.
I guess but the difference I see is if something goes wrong on the F15 (and it has) the cost to repair is usually relatively inexpensive. (I could pull the file on the F150 and add up all the maintenance bills for the past 21 years to see what the total is but I'm not so inclined to take the time to do that right now.) Pretty much the main thing that could go wrong (as others have stated) with an EV is replacing the battery which will cost you thousands of dollars.

We are a long way from what the EV will eventually will become. A ton of money is being spent on developing the next generation of batteries. Think of the PC in the 80s and where we are now. We live in south orange county, the one in California, we have loads of EVs and people do seem to love them. As far as producing electricity, solar works great out west, again its a case of inventing the large storage batteries so we can eventually become 100% solar, but they are working on it

Yes this. I do believe there is a future for the EV and it's great if it works for you now. I'm happy for you but. I just think our state and federal law makers need to hold off on mandates/dictates until we as a nation are ready for the HUGE change.

So many necessary changes were shoved down our throats in the past, it is what is required for progress.

Progress will happen wither we like it or not, we just don't need it shoved down our throats before we are ready.

Please supply some of the necessary changes that were shoved down our throats in the past, I'm drawing a blank.

Please supply some of the necessary changes that were shoved down our throats in the past, I'm drawing a blank.
A high percentage of the population would see each of these as being shoved down their throats.

Same sex marriage
School integration
The Civil Rights Act of 1964

There are others. The government often has to drag their population into the future.

Like what?
Go look into the air quality in LA in the 1960s and what CARB has accomplished since then. Many changes on vehicles that were "shoved down our throat" and have benefited the community.

Also: Federal regulations regarding crash worthiness. We have made huge advances in accident survivability thanks to Government Regulations.

California has a long history of throwing out deadlines to see if they can be met, most of the time it does work out. If not they change the rule. They met their goals for renewable energy quite easily. People may not be aware, but in the 70s the air quality in Los Angeles was absolutely terrible. Now it is pretty darn good, these things can happen if you try. California always led in pollution controls, a program started by none other than Ronald Reagan. California started the no smoking in public places, and everyone thought we were crazy, anyone remember when you could smoke in an airplane or a grocery store.

state and federal law makers need to hold off on mandates/dictates until we as a nation are ready for the HUGE change.
Progress will happen wither we like it or not, we just don't need it shoved down our throats before we are ready.

A lot of people have tunnel vision. They can't see the big picture. They can't see what all these sudden policy changes are going to do to our economy, our quality of life, our food supply, our safety, but they will eventually. 2023 is going to be a very interesting year and not in a good way.

Go look into the air quality in LA in the 1960s and what CARB has accomplished since then. Many changes on vehicles that were "shoved down our throat" and have benefited the community.

Also: Federal regulations regarding crash worthiness. We have made huge advances in accident survivability thanks to Government Regulations.
That is a very weak comparison. That didn't raise the cost of living or put us on the brink of war with an nuclear power. Does anyone pay attention to what's going on in the world?

Actually I recall when there were big battles over car safety seat belts and air bags, the car manufacturers really fought it. So we reduced deaths per mile by 75% since the 60s.

That is a very weak comparison. That didn't raise the cost of living or put us on the brink of war with an nuclear power. Does anyone pay attention to what's going on in the world?
Both examples raised the cost of vehicles significantly which is why they required mandates to level the market.

How many wars have been fought over oil? Natural resources are always an issue that cause conflict and this will be no different.

Hopefully the other angry people that want electric cars move back to California and Washington where they belong. It's nice that rich people like yourself can buy Teslas's, but most of us can not.

Well if you made California or Washington State salaries maybe you could afford one. Of course you could just get rid of your car and do without one. I would rather spend my money on Disney vacations than a car.

We're the most indebted nation in the history of the world. I think you may be surprised what happens over the next couple of decades. Nothing lasts forever.........never in history has an empire stayed on top forever, and you certainly can't borrow from the future until the end of time.

Not even close. Japan's debt level is double the United States. Plus the United States will just devalue its currency and repay bond holders in devalued currency. It makes sense to issue tons of debt when you only have to pay 3% interest and inflation is 8+%. You are gaining 5% per year.

Like what?

The federal government had to force some states to allow minorities to vote. There were howls of protest about that and complaints about an overbearing federal government shoving their laws down people's throats. Even before that there were plenty of people who didn't want to allow women to vote.

And wait till California gets rid of all gas cars and relies on all electric - they have blackouts now. There is no way they can add that much if an increase of electricity without building more coal or nuclear plants. What will happen is people will just move out of that state the way they have been doing the past few years.

And wait till California gets rid of all gas cars and relies on all electric - they have blackouts now. There is no way they can add that much if an increase of electricity without building more coal or nuclear plants. What will happen is people will just move out of that state the way they have been doing the past few years.
The power black outs are a result of the power companies shutting down when there are high winds. We have had no power outages due to demand, that is a false rumor being used often. California produces close to zero electricity from coal. During afternoon hours about 70% is from renewable sources mostly wind and solar.

So many necessary changes were shoved down our throats in the past, it is what is required for progress.
Progress used to occur in this country via the free markets and capitalism not through government regulation and intervention. If everyone wanted an electric car then that’s all companies would make.
We should be able to choose I’m not going to have an actor or politician telling me what to drive when they are taking private jets to climate summits and have homes that use more electricity than some small towns. Last time I checked this was America.

The power black outs are a result of the power companies shutting down when there are high winds. We have had no power outages due to demand, that is a false rumor being used often. California produces close to zero electricity from coal. During afternoon hours about 70% is from renewable sources mostly wind and solar.
A power black out is a power black out. It's still going to be an issue for people needing to refuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter