If, for insomnia...

Yada Yada yada....lots of reasons people take sleep meds and lots of reasons why not to or should take narcotics versus not. Disney boards are the last place I take advice.
While I see no harm in chatting about what has worked or not worked with others here on the boards, I agree that it’s best to talk to my own doctor about what is best for myself when it comes to medications. Just because something works great for another person doesn’t mean it is right for me. Between drug interactions, possible dependency, and potential allergies it can be dangerous to try things some random person on the internet recommended.

FWIW, most non-over the counter sleep medications should be prescribed by a registered psychiatrist and not a GP as they ARE psychotropic drugs.

Thing is, with Z-drugs, they become habituating and less effective over more than 7 days running. I was put through most of if not all sedatives, but ended up on Dosulepin at a micro dose. I felt drowsy and more at peace with the world!

I’ve been on Zopiclone for almost 10 years (with a three years break that ended in November. Nothing else works for me (even 30 mg of melatonin) and I am so, so thankful that my dr believes in treating the patient, not the symptom. Does he wish I didn’t have to rely on it? Of course, but he also knows it works for me, so he continues the current path we are on.

I'm just going to say no, I would not be comfortable taking any of that. Try reading a dull book, or doing a meditation. Stay away from screens leading up to bedtime, including...scratch that, especially this one.

LOL tell me you don’t really understand chronic insomnia without telling me you don’t understand chronic insomnia.

I’ve been on Zopiclone for almost 10 years (with a three years break that ended in November. Nothing else works for me (even 30 mg of melatonin) and I am so, so thankful that my dr believes in treating the patient, not the symptom. Does he wish I didn’t have to rely on it? Of course, but he also knows it works for me, so he continues the current path we are on.

Hey, if it works, all power to you!

I don't know if everyone understands this, but insomnia is a nasty health complication and there are many ways to challenge it. Sometimes it's as simple as reciting a mantra, sometimes medications are needed. It's all down to the individual.

I don't know if everyone understands this, but insomnia is a nasty health complication and there are many ways to challenge it. Sometimes it's as simple as reciting a mantra, sometimes medications are needed. It's all down to the individual.

In my opinion, if all you need to do to fall asleep is to recite a mantra, you’re just overtired. There’s a reason why sleep deprivation is considered a form of torture.

In my opinion, if all you need to do to fall asleep is to recite a mantra, you’re just overtired. There’s a reason why sleep deprivation is considered a form of torture.
To be fair, a mantra can be very powerful indeed. Buddhist Monks use mantras to come closer to inner peace, and can enter a state of deep trace simply by repeating a motivational script to themselves. But I agree, there is a different between being overtired and having insomnia.

While I see no harm in chatting about what has worked or not worked with others here on the boards, I agree that it’s best to talk to my own doctor about what is best for myself when it comes to medications. Just because something works great for another person doesn’t mean it is right for me. Between drug interactions, possible dependency, and potential allergies it can be dangerous to try things some random person on the internet recommended.
You need a prescription for most of the meds talked about. It’s not like anyone can take them without talking to their doctor.

Don’t you think there’s an underlying cause for it?

You need a prescription for most of the meds talked about. It’s not like anyone can take them without talking to their doctor.
Depending on the sleeping pill in question, I would go so far as to suggest that a psychiatrist would need to get involved. Some drugs are more benign, such as sedating Antihistamines, which could be prescribed by a GP but when you're getting into trickier territory such as sedating antidepressants or antipsychotics, psychotropic drugs, I'd prefer to consult a psychiatrist.

To be fair, a mantra can be very powerful indeed. Buddhist Monks use mantras to come closer to inner peace, and can enter a state of deep trace simply by repeating a motivational script to themselves. But I agree, there is a different between being overtired and having insomnia.

I wasn’t saying anything negative about reciting mantras; just giving my opinion.

LOL tell me you don’t really understand chronic insomnia without telling me you don’t understand chronic insomnia.

I have been on it for about 6 years, tried others, many mentioned here, and same as you. I have no shame, I need to sleep, work, function, etc.

I have tried (on many occasions) to wean myself off, and nope, I will be 😳 all night. PTSD big time. I know I need it, I Am addicted, but it is what it is. My Dr does not feel that it’s time to stop.

It's not for me to say, I'm not very well rehearsed on the subject. I've experienced it, certainly, and explored virtually every avenue for treatment, but beyond that, I'm blind.
Insomnia is usually symptom of a bigger issue. I don't think it's something people are born with. For instance my son has ADHD which causes sleep dysregulation.

Right? It’s like, gee, why didn’t I think of that?
My favorite (/sarcasm) part is that at one point during my marriage, we went to couples therapy and one of the issues was that my partner felt frustrated that I "slept so much." We had a baby and I took the overnight feeding shifts (since I had insomnia anyway) and would do the 10, midnight, 2am and 4am feeding (filling the time between with my professional work or stuff around the house) and then go to bed, sleeping from around 5-9:30 and then going to work (I had a job where I could be flexible). But my partner would go to bed around 10/11 and get up at 6 and feel frustrated that she was awake from 6-9:30 without me (ignoring the difference in actual amount of time we each got to sleep). And the therapist was just like, "Well, why don't you go to sleep at 10/11 and wake up for those feedings and then go back to sleep?" and I just wanted to cry. Would that I could, man - would that I could.

I think it's really hard for people to realize that their experience (especially of sleep) isn't universal and so if they can fall asleep on a couch in an instant, anyone who doesn't must be choosing to make it more difficult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter