If Disney world closes

.landry

mouskenerd
Does anyone know if dvc would give your points back?
We’re leaving Saturday for 8 nights. We’re still planning on going but wonder if they close the parks will they refund maybe the remaining points or not at all.
We would be OK staying at the resort. That’s fine. But that seems like a very very expensive pool vacation 😜😜

This is a situation I never dreamed of happening, even in the short time I owned DVC. I don't think it is a matter of if, but when they shut down DW. I feel as though Disney will refund all your points and such. I think they will do right here. But what makes me wonder is this, if you have a whole bunch of DVC owners that have an extra year or so worth of points to use next year because of this, how will this effect next years booking ability?

I think if you are there, it may not be as easy to have them refund the nights, When there is a hurricane and parks are shut down, but resorts are not, they don’t usually refund points for leaving early,

Having said that, this is all new and it seems like they are trying the best to accommodate,

I am going to say, though, that we could see some suspension of banking and borrowing in a year or two if what they choose to do during this throws the system out of balance,

this is my fear of losing points I used to book my upcoming vacation so I am waiting until the last resort to call and cancel and see what happens. I am in denial that my April 3-9 trip may be not happening. I am heartbroken

this is my fear of losing points I used to book my upcoming vacation so I am waiting until the last resort to call and cancel and see what happens. I am in denial that my April 3-9 trip may be not happening. I am heartbroken

I'm heartbroken, too... was supposed to go 4/4 and have After Hours tickets for the 5th. I wonder if they will refund tickets. Hopefully they can set up a website to handle cancellations because the phone lines are crazy busy.

They are closing 3/15 through the end of the month. Resorts will remain open, but parks will be closed. I imagine tickets will be refunded.

Just members notification - Mothi g stating that Disney is closing parks.
Tou think they would let members know right away so we can figure out what to do next.

We had to cancel our trip that was supposed to be today to monday and we are all so disappointed. Disney was super accommodating though and refunded our reservation entirely with no penalty because our state just declared state of emergency and asked everyone to stay home. Hopefully this will go away quick and we can reschedule very soon! I think Disney is going to return any points used for vacations.

To all of you who had to cancel your upcoming trips to Disney I am very sorry and can understand your disappointment. I know how much I look forward to my trips to WDW and how much time and effort goes into putting the whole trip together. On the upside you now don't have to agonize over the decision now that the choice was made for you and you now stand a better chance of not get the virus.

Probably the best course of action is to start planning your next trip as this too shall pass. We will get a handle on this and it will become a distant memory. I'm hoping that will happen sooner rather then later.

Sending all of you pixie dust. pixiedust:

I wonder too. Technically, since the hotels are still open, if you choose to cancel "just because" there are no theme parks to go to:)), the cancellation and any associated penalties are on you. However, since the reality is that most people DO expect the theme parks, you didn't cancel-they did! It will be an interesting dilema.

I wonder too. Technically, since the hotels are still open, if you choose to cancel "just because" there are no theme parks to go to:)), the cancellation and any associated penalties are on you. However, since the reality is that most people DO expect the theme parks, you didn't cancel-they did! It will be an interesting dilema.
Reports on the Resorts page are that Disney is refunding deposits and letting people cancel without penalty. So Disney is doing what they can.

In the POS, if I'm not wrong, there is explicitly written that the parks are not a guarantee and one shouldn't buy with the expectation they'll be always open until the resort expiration. That being said, MS are being quite helpful with members who have to cancel due to the virus, like the do in case of a hurricane.

Last edited:
In the POS, if I'm not wrong, there is explicitly written that the parks are not a guarantee and one shouldn't buy with the expectation they'll be always open until the resort expiration. That being said, MS are being quite helpful with members who have to cancel due to the virus, like the do in case of a hurricane.

I think the fact that MS is being allowed to do what they are is wonderful. But we shouldn’t always expect it will happen.

As you said, having the parks isn’t guaranteed and they could have held to the rules.

Ok, so here is another dilema... if points expire at the end of this month, and you already have a reservation, what are the odds they will wave the expiration date and let you reserve in the future with those points?? I tried calling to find out but the lines are busy and i wonder if the DO, will they let you book it yourself without having to go through them??

I think if you are there, it may not be as easy to have them refund the nights, When there is a hurricane and parks are shut down, but resorts are not, they don’t usually refund points for leaving early,

Having said that, this is all new and it seems like they are trying the best to accommodate,

I am going to say, though, that we could see some suspension of banking and borrowing in a year or two if what they choose to do during this throws the system out of balance,
Then refunded points when I left early because of Irma. Albeit one day early

Of course that is no guarantee that that's what will happen. This is an extenuating circumstance, closing the parks like this is going to triple the amount of closures WDW has had in 50 years

Ok, so here is another dilema... if points expire at the end of this month, and you already have a reservation, what are the odds they will wave the expiration date and let you reserve in the future with those points?? I tried calling to find out but the lines are busy and i wonder if the DO, will they let you book it yourself without having to go through them??
No guarantee, but what they do for hurricanes and others have reported is that they may let you:
- cancel without the points going into holding
- "unborrow" the points (if any) that were borrowed for the reservation
- bank even after the usual banking deadline until the end of the UY

But I've never heard of anyone who was allowed to bank again points that were already banked. Those would be lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter