Ideas to suprise kids with a cruise ( Christmas present)

Disneyfan754321

DIS Veteran
I decided to buy my kids a Christmas present of a Carnival Celebration cruise. This will be there only present and its leaving January 7th.
I would love to get some ideas on gifting this to them. They are 12 and 15

ALSO how do I hide this as a parent I'm so excited!!

a little background my children and I lost there father in August Christmas is going to be hard this year. Due to a very nice CM we were also gifted 1 day wdw hopper tickets.. not sure when we are using them.

Last year, we put three helium filled mylar balloons in a big box with a certificate I found online attached to it. When the kids opened the box the balloons floated to the ceiling. My kids were 7 & 9, so it might not work for older kids.

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss! I think it is awesome you are making new memories and hope you all have the time of your life!

How about a small pile of little cruise related gifts….suntan lotion, Packable float, bathing suit, beach towel, etc. Don;t explain what they are for and then at the very end maybe have them each open a box with a cruise ship ornament and a cruise “ticket”. That way they still get to open a few things and can be surprised and they will have the ornaments forever.

About a decade ago my parents were gifting us and my sister's family a trip to an AI in Mexico. They made up a poster board sized image, cut it up, then we had to put the "puzzle" together.

We did the same to them when we gifted my dad tickets to the PGA championship (he was an avid golfer).

Shutterfly (along with other online sites) will do custom puzzles. If you know anyone good with photoshop (or other image programs), have them create an image and upload it.

I can see a large image of the ship, the dates, and maybe your heads sticking out of windows or something.

I'm doing a surprise cruise at xmas too. We are sailing out of New Orleans, so DH is getting some New Orleans food things in his stocking - cajun seasoning, hot sauce, etc, the kids will get pins (they collect them) of Louisiana and Disney Magic, and I'm trying to find an ornament I like that's either of a cruise ship or NOLA themed. Then they'll have to figure out what it means. Pretty sure the Disney Magic pin will explain it, so that will be opened last.

First of all, so sorry for your loss! I’m not a good surpriser, but I’d do it early. One of my kids missed a week of high school every year due to an overseas dance competition, and it was a lot of work, before that week, during that week, and a couple weeks after. I suspect teachers will be willing to work with the kids due to the circumstances, but HS can be tough, depending on class rigor. Once my kids were teens they were weird about missing school.

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss! I think it is awesome you are making new memories and hope you all have the time of your life!

How about a small pile of little cruise related gifts….suntan lotion, Packable float, bathing suit, beach towel, etc. Don;t explain what they are for and then at the very end maybe have them each open a box with a cruise ship ornament and a cruise “ticket”. That way they still get to open a few things and can be surprised and they will have the ornaments forever.
That's my plan, I wanted somewhere new to go. Thank you

We did this years ago when surprising our kids with a trip to Disneyland. Inside a box were balloons with Disney images and wrapped pins for trading. Along with a file folder that had been converted into a paper fastpass sharing news of the trip. Have you considered filling a box with items that relate to your trip? Sunscreen, lanyard to hold room key, beach towel.

You could always give them clues and hide the next clue like a scavenger hunt around the house/yard. Collecting clues/items along the way until they reveal the trip.

We did this years ago when surprising our kids with a trip to Disneyland. Inside a box were balloons with Disney images and wrapped pins for trading. Along with a file folder that had been converted into a paper fastpass sharing news of the trip. Have you considered filling a box with items that relate to your trip? Sunscreen, lanyard to hold room key, beach towel.

You could always give them clues and hide the next clue like a scavenger hunt around the house/yard. Collecting clues/items along the way until they reveal the trip.
I was thinking about this , you and a couple others have said it. We live in South Florida so it would be funny because its the equivalent of socks and underwear. I can see my kids faces now.. really mom a beach towel lol.
I do really like the balloon idea on top of it.

If you're into baking, try cookies shaped like a ship? (check Amazon or ebay for cookie cutters.) Decorate with the dates.

I also like the ornament idea and the balloons -- lots of good ideas.

About a decade ago my parents were gifting us and my sister's family a trip to an AI in Mexico. They made up a poster board sized image, cut it up, then we had to put the "puzzle" together.

We did the same to them when we gifted my dad tickets to the PGA championship (he was an avid golfer).

Shutterfly (along with other online sites) will do custom puzzles. If you know anyone good with photoshop (or other image programs), have them create an image and upload it.

I can see a large image of the ship, the dates, and maybe your heads sticking out of windows or something.
I was bored (grabbed random pics online. Obviously use your faces)...

puzzle copy.png

Great ideas.

One year I had a surprise for my nieces and purchased a cameo (cameo.com) and then played the video for them on Christmas morning. I purchased mine from Tom Bergeron and he did an awesome job.

That’s a littl

We are going on the Carnival Celebration in December. Cannot Wait. Have been on her sister ship the Mardi Gras twice. Absolutely loved it. I like experience gifts, especially when the kids get older - it gets so much harder to buy for them. And you guys can certainly use a nice vacation after your loss.

Look on Etsy - there are some really cute certificates and stuff that you can get announcing the cruise. (search cruise gifts). You could also get them a Carnival Gift Card to put on their account towards the arcade or sodas or buying things. I do like the idea of making a little travel box with different fun items in it with the announcement.

I would go with the small gifts, then a scavenger hunt. Draw out the drama, since it's the only big gift. Can you imagine them trying to act grateful over sunscreen? "Um, it's just what I wanted...", and then the big reveal.

I would casually suss out if the older child wants to miss a week of school. Maybe clear it with the teachers ahead of time. Some kids don't like to miss class, once they hit high school. Getting this taken care of, ahead of time, would only improve the excitement and anticipation.

I got one of those nesting gift box sets where they get smalller and smaller and form a tower. In each box I put a small random gift where the first letter of each item was then used to spell out Disney cruise. The last box had an item and the instructions to spell out the gift. You could do it as a letter scramble since they are older or make it so the gifts in order spell out carnival cruise. It did totally random gifts too like a rubber band ball, ice cube mold, underwear. The gift box tower also made a beautiful Christmas decoration in the house. It was almost as tall as my littlest one at the time and they had so much fun opening it.

:grouphug: Disneyfan754321 and extra prayer to you and your family, I, too, am so sorry for your loss. Good for you indeed for creating new memories for your family. Much prayer that the cruise brings all of you much fun, extra healing and peace all-around! God Bless You.

We are going on the Carnival Celebration in December. Cannot Wait. Have been on her sister ship the Mardi Gras twice. Absolutely loved it. I like experience gifts, especially when the kids get older - it gets so much harder to buy for them. And you guys can certainly use a nice vacation after your loss.

Look on Etsy - there are some really cute certificates and stuff that you can get announcing the cruise. (search cruise gifts). You could also get them a Carnival Gift Card to put on their account towards the arcade or sodas or buying things. I do like the idea of making a little travel box with different fun items in it with the announcement.
We loved the original Mardi Gras. We do like the smaller ships. Have also been on the Festivale and Tropicale. All three have been retired. Haven't been on a cruise in over a decade. May do one next year as well.

I decided to buy my kids a Christmas present of a Carnival Celebration cruise. This will be there only present and its leaving January 7th.
I would love to get some ideas on gifting this to them. They are 12 and 15

ALSO how do I hide this as a parent I'm so excited!!

a little background my children and I lost there father in August Christmas is going to be hard this year. Due to a very nice CM we were also gifted 1 day wdw hopper tickets.. not sure when we are using them.
Great idea! I remember -- years ago -- two of my students (twins) lost their father in the fall, and -- rather than face their first Christmas without their father -- their mother chose to take them on a cruise. I thought it was a brilliant idea; it was just too soon for them to face the holidays without him.

Having said that, I'd want them to have SOMETHING to open on Christmas day. Do they need suitcases? Luggage tags? Of course they'll need small things like sunscreen, etc. You can make a great stocking with flip-flops, sunglasses, water shoes, lanyard to carry the Sea Pass.

Have they ever cruised before? If not, I'd pull up a bunch of You Tubes to let them see what your room, the buffet, the pool will look like. I'd also print off information for them to read about excursions you plan to take, etc. These things'll keep them busy on Christmas day.
I love this idea!
I would casually suss out if the older child wants to miss a week of school. Maybe clear it with the teachers ahead of time. Some kids don't like to miss class, once they hit high school. Getting this taken care of, ahead of time, would only improve the excitement and anticipation.
In high school, this may mean missing the week before exams, which is tough. BUT I also understand this is a horrible year unlike any other. The 15-year old's academic standing may not be the most important point in the grand scheme of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter