Ideas on how to keep a baby cool?

999miles

Earning My Ears
Hi! We will be taking our baby to Disney world the day after her birthday in September. She is a little furnace and has some medical needs so I am looking for ways to keep her as cool as possible. I am going to buy a little stroller fan but do you have any other ideas?

Go early, escape before noon, relax, have pool time, nap, then plan dinner in a/c then go back to the parks after dinner when it's cooler.
It is really hot and humid in September, so staying out of the parks during the hottest part of the day is my best advice.
Also, use cool crib sheets to cover the stroller, bring baby corn starch to powder the sheet a bit each time you change her or take her out of the stroller.
Obviously very light weight outfits, cool little dresses as opposed to shorts and tees. (Dresses are cooler and have those little diaper covers).
Stop for fairly frequent bathroom breaks to change her in comfort (the bathrooms have a/c) and keep cool water in her extra bottles.
If I think of anything more, I'll be sure to add it.

Also be sure to protect her from the sun... If she's old enough for sunscreen, use it liberally and frequently. The Florida sun will fry her up to a crisp really fast!

Water, water, water. Offer it to her much more frequently than you do at home. No, it won't cool her. But dehydration is as much a danger as over heating.

Water, water, water. Offer it to her much more frequently than you do at home. No, it won't cool her. But dehydration is as much a danger as over heating.

Thank you. Our daughter has a g tube and won't consume any fluids by mouth. We ordered unflavored pedialyte from garden grocer for her to put through her feeding tube as well as water. I will ask her dietitian how much we should increase her fluids.

Buy Frogg Toggs and lay them in the stroller and over her in the stroller. I cut mine in half
and they work perfect. That is what I did for my DGD a couple of years ago when I took her
and she never once complained she was hot. I wear mine around my neck. It's the best money
I ever spent to keep cool. It was so hot here the other night I even took it to bed
and laid it on my pillow here at home...

Here's an idea... Freeze some small water bottles, put them in a cooler, and let her hold/play with them in the stroller. They will be cool and get her a little damp from the condensation, which will also cool her off. Hopefully she hasn't figured out how to take off lids yet and won't get soaked! This is what I did with my kids in the car when the A/C was broken.

Make sure she has air flow into her stroller. Do not use a person carrier (I'm not sure what it is called) because it will make her hotter. Do not put a blanket over her stroller. Yes, keep her out of the sun, but do not use a blanket as that will block the breeze. Have fun!

I've seen "cooling mats" for dogs... They look like gel pads, but I'm not too sure how they work. I wonder if you could put one under her in the stroller. I don't think you freeze them... And you might need a layer of something or a towel between her and the mat

** I looked it up and apparently it uses an absorbent material-similar to what's inside a diaper, and you fill It up with water. It uses thermodynamics to make things cool... So as long as it is cooler than her it should absorb heat from her body! I imagine that by keeping it out of direct sun, and if it is taken into aircondotioned environments it shouldn't get warmer than her. If you cover it in a resort pillow case it's easy to swap with a clean one once or twice a day!

Last edited:
ice packs wrapped in towels and placed under her armpits will cool her core temp down

You can take washcloths and get them wet and freeze them. Bring an extra washcloth to wipe her down every once in a while. I have not used the frogg clothes. I bought some for my next trip. My dad uses them when he is outside in the heat of Las Vegas and he says they work well. Just be sure to wash them before you use them or it's possible to get a rash. Have you bought a water mister fan? I know DL sells them so I am sure WDW does too. Dollar stores carry them also. Just be careful with sunblock washing off with the water. And HYDRATE.

I use Frogg Toggs. It really cools you down, and all you need is a little water to cool it back off if it gets warm. It will cool your little one off without getting them soaked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter