Ideas for snacks and food for long trip down to DW?

K

kellymouse

I need some tips for snacks and food to bring with us on our very long road trip. The past 2 years we always stop and eat junk, like McDonald's or something. We always feel so lousy while we are driving....gee....I wonder why!?! What do you guys bring in the car to eat or just snack on?

This year I'm going to put some of the new Disney cereals in baggies for munchie type snacks.

LOL MosMom...When I read this post, I was thinking Buzz cereal!! :) I definitely agree with that one...

We drive every year and the one thing NOT to bring, is Cheetos!! They are sooooo messy!!! :)

We usually bring apples (my kids love these), pears, bananas, cereals, breakfast bars, cheese and crackers (the Kraft pre made ones)...we have a small cooler in our car for these trips, which doesn't take up any room, it fits between the front seats and we keep juice boxes in that! :)

Have a fun trip! :)

We had a 2 and a half day drive to Florida from Canada and we were on a very strict budget.

We had a large brown box and each week when we did our groceries we would buy one or two items for the box..... It added up very quick and we had snacks for the entire 16 day trip and both drives to and from Florida.

Here is a sample of what we bought: (some we ate on the way , some we ate there)

Granola bars (not the soft type)
Cheese and Crackers
Peanut Butter and Crackers
Different Candies
Lolly pops
microwave popcorn (we had a microwave in our hotel room)
Crackers (in individual packages)
Soda pops in cans
Water bottles that we froze to drink and keep other stuff cold
A Brita water jug and filter to refill our water bottles (froze 4 at a time for each day)
We had small snak size Chocolate bars that we bought for Halloween (got a very good deal)
Lots of sandwhiches that lasted us 2 days
On the first day we had salads in plastic containers
Pringles (not very messy)
Pretzles
Dry cereal in individual packages
Beef Jerkey (home made)
Juices and Gatorade
Fruit cup
Jell-o cups
Puddings
Large container of Cashews and ziplocks to devide them up for several days
Bagels (pre-cut and Pre-creem cheesed)
Cookies and Fig newtons in individual packages
Bretons and Easy Cheese for my fiance
Muffins
Celery and Carrot sticks
Lunchables (meat, cheese, crackers and a dessert)

We would carry around a variety of snacks each day at the parks and would return to the car each day for lunch and a break.
We saved a lot of money and time doing this.
Hope these ideas were helpfull:) :D ;) :p :) :D ;) :p :D :) :cool: :) :D :tongue: :sunny: :wave: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :wave: :tongue: :wave: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Beanie,

I was thinking of fruit as a good snack but thought that maybe apples would get too messy. My daughter is an apple nut! If we brought a 3# bag it would last us during the visit as well. Did you find they they didn't get too juicy or messy? I was thinking maybe bananas but my daughter finds ways to make messes with those too. We always have wet wipes on hand of course so it wouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe we will bring some. I was thinking of grapes too...bite size and not too messy.

Only 5 more days!!! WooHoo!!

If you have a cooler those cheese cubes are a good healthy choice. We also take nuts and rasins, wheat thins and fun shaped crackers. For a treat I bought Disney fruit snacks. I also bought the disney juice pouches but DS did not like the juice too well and they were hard to open.

Jordan's mom

We have driven quite often when we go and always have a cooler and bags full of goodies. We always have some sort of sandwiches that we make on the road. Whether it is lunchmeat or grilled chicken breasts or freshly cooked ham, we pack it in separate bags....as we do cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, or whatever we want on our sandwich. We make it while on the road so it tastes a little fresher and the bread or rolls don't get too soggy....it has always worked well. We also bring juice boxes and cans of drinks as well. Snacks run the gamut from pringles, fruit, breakfast bars, and cookies. Having a van works great in this case as it gives us plenty of room in the vehicle for all of the food but still plenty of room to stretch out.

Oh, by the way, don't forget the paper towels and trash bag. When we drive, we generally drive straight through (16-17 hours) and only stop for gas and bathroom breaks.....that's it! Having the ability to transport food and drink in this scenario works out great!

We drive every year and I know what you mean about all the junk food, so I started packing a cooler with a whole bunch of deli type sandwiches that I make at home. I let everyone tell me what they want on theirs and I make up enough for the whole day (lunch and supper) and then we stop at nice rest areas and have picnics on that first day. It's nicer than stopping at the fast food places because it seems more relaxing and then on the second day we only need to stop for lunch some place and by supper time we are at Disney.

The things we like for snacks are definitely the Pooh fruit snacks--good serving size-- chewy granola bars, animal crackers--Walmart sells a store brand for less the a $1 for a big box and they aren't messy--goldfish crackers, pretzels, my kids latest favorite is those Ritz Bits S'mores. I bring little containers to put each kid's serving into. Several of the juice box/pouch flavors come in clear juice so no worries about stains. We also bring a water bottle for each person--Gerber has some that don't spill for the littlest ones.

For fruit, we bring dried and fresh apples, raisins and grapes. If my kids were older, I would do oranges.

Sandwiches, I make wrap sandwiches with tortillas. A little different and they don't get soggy.

Jordan's mom--my kids didn't like the Disney juice either. I tried it and the flavor is TOO strong! (Especially since I usually water down my kids' juice!)

Our drive to Disney takes about 12 hrs, so we usually try to have as many snacks as possible to keep the kids busy and content. I try to buy things that we don't always have at home so its new for the kids. One year, I tried to do healthy snacks - bought some grapes, cantalope and watermelon. I cut it up and removed all seeds (on the watermelon). The kids loved it!!! My husband thought that was the best idea!!! One little problem - we made an awful lot of bathroom stops!!!! (HaHa - didn't think about that!) We also like to have a small ice chest for soft drinks and fruit juices for the kids. We do stop for lunch - just to get out and stretch.
The last two summers, we've just driven half way there and stopped for the night, but we still bring snacks and drinks. Its great to go back to the room for a break!

I usually pack up some Peanut Butter and Fluff sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, lots of water bottles, those awful fruit roll ups, goldfish, cheese sticks, bagels and muffins. We try to travel while the kids sleep or if we can't do that we have a good meal before we leave home.

Bring trash bags, paper towels, wipes etc. I hate a messy car and tend to straighten up at every stop!!!!!

Don't forget bag clips, twist ties, or something to close up the large snack bags! I always seem to forget those and the snacks either spill or go stale.:p

I also bring along a bowl with high sides (large plastic cereal bowl type) for each person. It's easier to eat the snacks that way, rather than just passing a bag around. And if stopping for fast food, it even holds the burger and fries. It especially helps for the driver!:)

I like to bring microwave popcorn. Most convenience store/gas stations don't mind if you use their microwave to pop it. :)

We also bring fruit but we cut and peel it all and put in either ziplocs or glad plastic containers. No peelings or apple cores to deal with. Also took wetnaps wrapped in individual packages. For my son we bought fruit juice in bottles that had a sport top. He could just pull up the top and take a drink when he wanted, he never drinks an entire juice box at once so this saves mess. We find if we have large meals when we drive we feel yucky so we tend to eat alot of snack type food and fruit. We bring the small individual packs of cereal because they can be opened to make their own bowl, we bring small cartons of milk and plastic spoons --instant breakfast (SOMETIMES DINNER).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter