ID for alcohol purchase

Jjpenguin2

Living in the real Kilimanjaro Safari
I was planning to have a cocktail at a pool bar every now and then on my May trip. But I don't want to carry my (UK) passport with me to the pool. Will they accept a photo on the phone with another ID?
And in general how strict are they, I remember being asked for ID 10 years ago, when anyone could see I was over 21.... flattering but a bit irritating as well (as I am used to Europe/SA where they aren't as strict).

I wish they could just code this into the Magic Band, would make more sense.

I was planning to have a cocktail at a pool bar every now and then on my May trip. But I don't want to carry my (UK) passport with me to the pool. Will they accept a photo on the phone with another ID?
And in general how strict are they, I remember being asked for ID 10 years ago, when anyone could see I was over 21.... flattering but a bit irritating as well (as I am used to Europe/SA where they aren't as strict).

I think you should probably contact Disney directly, so you are prepared. As more forms of ID become digital, they may or may not accept a photo on your phone even if you have a secondary form of ID physically present. This is what it currently says on their website, which sounds like you need to present the actual passport, but there is a phone number listed for clarification.
IMG_1017.jpeg

Contacting Disney directly won't help you. You'll get someone that says something that may or may not be correct, but what do you plan to do, show them the email at the pool bar?

This is likely the reason why they ask for ID:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2021/0562.11

"(c) A licensee who violates paragraph (a) shall have a complete defense to any civil action therefor, except for any administrative action by the division under the Beverage Law, if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served, or permitted to be served, the person falsely evidenced that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and the appearance of the person was such that an ordinarily prudent person would believe him or her to be of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and if the licensee carefully checked one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person: a driver license, an identification card issued under the provisions of s. 322.051 or, if the person is physically handicapped as defined in 2s. 553.45(1), a comparable identification card issued by another state which indicates the person’s age, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card, and acted in good faith and in reliance upon the representation and appearance of the person in the belief that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage. Nothing herein shall negate any cause of action which arose prior to June 2, 1978."

I would just bring 2 forms of government ID, such as passport and drivers license. Passport stays in room safe, alternate ID to the pool.

Will they actually accept photos of your passport from mobile?

You can try and if they say no just go back to your room and get your passport.

We now have digital Driver's Licenses but I've yet to hear of any spot around me that accepts them to buy alcohol. They are used for TSA. We def can not present a photo of an ID. That would be the easiest way to have a fake ID.

They should be very strict because if they get caught not following Florida law then they lose their job and Disney will be fined. And yes, there are often "narcs" testing Disney and other businesses all the time. A CM can be charged as well.

The MB has no information in it, it would have to be attached to your MDE ... not likely info they want to risk having in their data base. AND it would be too easy to share MB which brings you round to needed an ID to prove that is your MB so pointless.

Last edited:

I carry a photocopy of my Cdn passport (in a ziplock bag) plus my original Ontario driver license.

My original passport stays in a RFID envelope in my room safe. I can't lose it or get water damage so don't carry it in the parks.

Only been asked once for my ID in the parks when buying a drink. My driver license was good enough for the CM. But technically the copy of my passport should have been required as well. I was in my 40s then so strange to be asked. I haven't been asked since. Clearly, I'm not aging well :laughing:

Disney doesn't want their liquor license suspened for even a few days as a penalty for serving someone under aged. Sting enforcement sends in a 19 or 20 year old. That person looks, is dressed and made up to look 30.

Some places have a policy to check ID for anyone who looks under 30 or 40. Some places don't want an employee to have discretion. Everyones ID is checked, even seniors.

Disney doesn't check everyone's ID. Do you look like a 25 year old in your bathing suit? If yes bring your passport. Otherwise you probably won't even be asked.

I am always carded at WDW and they needed to see my actual driver's license vs. a photo of it. Back in November my sister's friends from Germany visited WDW and their German driver's licenses were accepted as a form of ID rather than a passport, but they had to show their actual card; a picture of it wouldn't be accepted.

I’ve never been ID’d at WDW since I only ordered alcohol after turning 30yo. Last trip my niece was 32 and never got carded but my 21yo son did every single time.

To be on the safe side, have a copy or link to the ID list on WDW website in your phone. Easiest proof is probably image of passport on your phone with whatever UK government ID card you have.

Have always carried physical drivers license and a photocopy or photo of passport. Always asked for drivers license, and need to add passport about half the time. We range in age from 28 to 65, and if they ask for one they want them all.

I believe that, legally, they are required to have the actual passport. Legally, too, they are supposed to card everyone, but I haven't been carded at WDW for about 30 years, so even though I keep a photo of my passport on my phone in case, I haven't had to show it yet. I won't carry my passport with me, so if they ask for it and won't accept a photo of it, I would just say no thanks to the drink. I usually have my DL with me, but they won't accept non-US-based DL and require a passport. I recall someone at Taphouse who was Canadian being asked for ID, showing their DL and was told that it wasn't acceptable but a photo of the passport would be. So YMMV, but I'd take the photo and maybe keep another form of photo ID on you recognizing that they may not accept it.

Magic bands could be taken off and shared so coding anything into them would be useless. I believe they will want a physical ID, not a phone pic.
True, but on the other hand they also code tickets onto them which are also non transferable and adult/child. Combo with fingerprint scanner same as park entry.

Contacting Disney directly won't help you. You'll get someone that says something that may or may not be correct, but what do you plan to do, show them the email at the pool bar?

This is likely the reason why they ask for ID:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2021/0562.11

"(c) A licensee who violates paragraph (a) shall have a complete defense to any civil action therefor, except for any administrative action by the division under the Beverage Law, if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served, or permitted to be served, the person falsely evidenced that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and the appearance of the person was such that an ordinarily prudent person would believe him or her to be of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and if the licensee carefully checked one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person: a driver license, an identification card issued under the provisions of s. 322.051 or, if the person is physically handicapped as defined in 2s. 553.45(1), a comparable identification card issued by another state which indicates the person’s age, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card, and acted in good faith and in reliance upon the representation and appearance of the person in the belief that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage. Nothing herein shall negate any cause of action which arose prior to June 2, 1978."
Yes, definitely a legal issue. But here a non us id Is ok and on the Disney site they need 2 types of ID. Almost not worth the effort tbh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter