I5 Sights? Eugene down to San Francisco

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

We have a LOOOOONGGG driving day from Eugene, Oregon down to San Francisco. There's a full day free to do it and I know it's a good 8 hours drive.

When we drive up to Portland we are going via the redwoods/crescent city/coast way, which is why we're doing the long I5 drive back.

I thinking we're going to need some places/points to break up the journey though. We won't have time to go far from the I5 because we have to get to San Fran that evening but are there any side trips or stops that would be worth checking out on the way?

Thank you

Hopefully you get some replies, because I'd like to read them! We are driving from Portland to Disneyland, doing the Crescent City/Redwoods portion on the way south and I-5 back home. So far along I-5 we are planning to stop at Wildlife Safari and the Jelly Belly Factory near San Francisco.

I-5 is pretty much rural most of the way until you get to Redding.

Some good spots might be Lassen Volcanic National Park on the way back. You'd have to get off I-5 at Red Bluff, but it's something that you could make at least a half day. If the Bumpass Hell Trail is open, that's a pretty nice simple hike with probably the most impressive thermal features along the West Coast. It's not Yellowstone, but it's probably most interesting you'll find west of Yellowstone. The've got some hot springs, mud pots, and the hottest recorded fumaroles on the planet.

7934134254_edc02ccccf_z.jpg

Maybe Lake Shasta or Turtle Bay Exploration Park in Redding, including the Sundial Bridge:

cp-sundial1-lg.jpg

In Medford there's the Harry and David Country Store/Village along with their factory tour:

http://www.harryanddavid.com/h/view/tours

Hopefully you get some replies, because I'd like to read them! We are driving from Portland to Disneyland, doing the Crescent City/Redwoods portion on the way south and I-5 back home. So far along I-5 we are planning to stop at Wildlife Safari and the Jelly Belly Factory near San Francisco.

Thanks for these too, I'm gonna take a look :D

Wow, look at that bridge popcorn:: Thank you

I've been there a couple of times. The bridge was designed by Spanish architect/engineer Santiago Calatrava. He's designed similar cable-stayed pedestrian bridges around the world, but this was designed with the tower meant to serve as a sundial. The area around the base has markers for the approximate time matched to the shadow of the tower.

The whole place is part of a park complex that's been consolidated in the area from several parks that used to be separate. There's no charge to park your vehicle or walk the bridge. There is for the rest of the park, which includes a botanical garden, a science and natural history museum, and a "nature camp". My wife really enjoyed the parakeet room as well as a butterfly house. This could nicely eat up a half day.

Of course I mentioned Lassen. There's also Sacramento, with Old Sacramento and the California State Railroad Museum. I got a membership there and have returned at least a half dozen times.

Sorry if I don't give more detail. If interested, certainly research these places on the web.

I've been there a couple of times. The bridge was designed by Spanish architect/engineer Santiago Calatrava. He's designed similar cable-stayed pedestrian bridges around the world, but this was designed with the tower meant to serve as a sundial. The area around the base has markers for the approximate time matched to the shadow of the tower.

The whole place is part of a park complex that's been consolidated in the area from several parks that used to be separate. There's no charge to park your vehicle or walk the bridge. There is for the rest of the park, which includes a botanical garden, a science and natural history museum, and a "nature camp". My wife really enjoyed the parakeet room as well as a butterfly house. This could nicely eat up a half day.

Of course I mentioned Lassen. There's also Sacramento, with Old Sacramento and the California State Railroad Museum. I got a membership there and have returned at least a half dozen times.

Sorry if I don't give more detail. If interested, certainly research these places on the web.

Thanks, I appreciate the tips and I will check them out :D

So far along I-5 we are planning to stop at Wildlife Safari and the Jelly Belly Factory near San Francisco.

I recommend the Jelly Belly tour only if you'll be there Monday-Friday. On the weekends, they still run the tour; but the factory is closed down and all the equipment is idle. The result is a dry lecture-type tour. My granddaughter was bored to tears.

-Bob

I recommend the Jelly Belly tour only if you'll be there Monday-Friday. On the weekends, they still run the tour; but the factory is closed down and all the equipment is idle. The result is a dry lecture-type tour. My granddaughter was bored to tears.

-Bob

They do throw in something that's done only when the factory isn't running. They program the loading robots to do a little performance.

Lots of Oregon to California drivers this summer...I always thought I was the crazy one that did that.... :)

Not much to see between Medford and Redding and not much after that if you are taking 505 to 80. The Jelly Belly Factory is always a neat place, free samples and plenty of candy to choose from, it's also right next to the Budweiser factory as well, if the adults are interested.

If you take I-5 all the way to 80 (without the 505 shortcut to SF), you can stop at Sacramento, as bcla said, there's quite a lot to do in Sacramento.

We are from Portland and are driving down to Disneyland in August. We too, are driving down through the Redwoods. I will be watching this thread closely :)

Old town Sac is really cool. Don't forget that Sacramento is the capital of CA & we have the capital buildings. I believe they have tours but you would have to check into that that's if your interested in thhat historic type of stuff. We have done the jelly belly factory on Saturdays a few times & the kids loved it. We always want to eat a jelly belly shaped hamburger or pizza but always get there when the cafeteria is closing so if interested check their site for their schedule. Their candy/gift shop is cool.

We did the Jelly Belly tour on a weekday when DD was 5- factory floor was in full swing. She was so repulsed by the smell inside the factory that we had to figure out how to escape from the tour part way through which it's definitely not intended to allow (we were on catwalks over the factory at the time).

Something to keep in mind if you have any members of your party who are smell sensitive. I didn't find the smell intolerable but she certainly did. I'm not quite sure how to describe it... Burnt sugar?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks guys, I'm gonna check out all the suggestions. Burnt sugar is something I'm used too cause we lived in York. It would either smell of chocolate or burnt sugar :rotfl:

Old town Sac is really cool.

I always thought of Sacramento in the summer as really hot. :beach:

I like visiting the California State Railroad Museum and recently renewed our membership. My kid can spend hours there and loves going through their Pullman sleeper/dining car combo several times. They also have these excursion rides on the Sacramento Southern Railroad, but recently they haven't been using their steam engine (I was told that they couldn't get their ten year certification from the state because the boiler needed to be completely scrapped) and the diesel doesn't seem as magical. They also have a tendency to shut down that train when the temps get too hot. They're not air conditioned, and I've been told that passengers sometimes pass out if it gets too hot.

I always thought of Sacramento in the summer as really hot. :beach:

I like visiting the California State Railroad Museum and recently renewed our membership. My kid can spend hours there and loves going through their Pullman sleeper/dining car combo several times. They also have these excursion rides on the Sacramento Southern Railroad, but recently they haven't been using their steam engine (I was told that they couldn't get their ten year certification from the state because the boiler needed to be completely scrapped) and the diesel doesn't seem as magical. They also have a tendency to shut down that train when the temps get too hot. They're not air conditioned, and I've been told that passengers sometimes pass out if it gets too hot.

lol about Old Sac. The museum sounds good. I think we're gonna run out of time to do this justice but I shall add it to the possibles list though, thanks.

I have a question about Old Sacramento if you don't mind.

If we could only swing by on the way through and wouldn't get there until after 5pm, is it still worth going just to look at the old buildings etc? I'm British and love the 'wild west' so I'd like to see it but I honestly think the only way would be in the early evening. Maybe we could go for dinner?

Thank you

I have a question about Old Sacramento if you don't mind.

If we could only swing by on the way through and wouldn't get there until after 5pm, is it still worth going just to look at the old buildings etc? I'm British and love the 'wild west' so I'd like to see it but I honestly think the only way would be in the early evening. Maybe we could go for dinner?

Thank you

The railroad museum closes at 5 PM.

In many ways it's kind of a manufactured experience there. The boardwalks are fairly new. Any original ones would have rotted away years ago. The restaurants, bars, and many of the stores should still be open around that time. I wouldn't say it really feels that "Wild West" much more than Frontierland feels as such. These are essentially modernized buildings remade to modern code. Maybe some of the material is over 100 years old, but lots had to be rebuilt over the years. Some of the stores are tourist traps like at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. So - it's good, clean fun as long as you realize that's what it is.

Now I haven't yet tried the underground tours, which look rather interesting. There's apparently a night tour at 6 PM twice a week.

http://www.historicoldsac.org/programs/programs-underground.asp

Now Gold Rush Days is another matter. Then they cover the pavement with dirt, don't allow cars inside, and it feel a little bit different. There will be a lot of people there in period costumes as well as lots of horses (the first and only time my kid touched a horse was there). I then tried again with a Sacramento Police mounted patrol, but my kid suddenly got scared even though the horse was extremely calm with other children. However, I-5 is right next to it so it's impossible to escape the freeway noise. We've been there after the railroad museum closed, and there was still plenty of activity.

Slider-Costume.jpg

The railroad museum closes at 5 PM.

In many ways it's kind of a manufactured experience there. The boardwalks are fairly new. Any original ones would have rotted away years ago. The restaurants, bars, and many of the stores should still be open around that time. I wouldn't say it really feels that "Wild West" much more than Frontierland feels as such. These are essentially modernized buildings remade to modern code. Maybe some of the material is over 100 years old, but lots had to be rebuilt over the years. Some of the stores are tourist traps like at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. So - it's good, clean fun as long as you realize that's what it is.

Now I haven't yet tried the underground tours, which look rather interesting. There's apparently a night tour at 6 PM twice a week.

http://www.historicoldsac.org/programs/programs-underground.asp

Now Gold Rush Days is another matter. Then they cover the pavement with dirt, don't allow cars inside, and it feel a little bit different. There will be a lot of people there in period costumes as well as lots of horses (the first and only time my kid touched a horse was there). I then tried again with a Sacramento Police mounted patrol, but my kid suddenly got scared even though the horse was extremely calm with other children. However, I-5 is right next to it so it's impossible to escape the freeway noise. We've been there after the railroad museum closed, and there was still plenty of activity.

Slider-Costume.jpg

Oooh thank you for that. I'm gonna look into it in more detail. We have a long drive that day but it might be nice to do something fun for the evening as we'll be staying in the Oakland area. x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter