• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I would appreciate some help for friends who will be at FW during Thanksgiving, it will be their first time camping here.

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi all,

So our friends... they have been camping for years and some how missed camping always staying at their DVC.. This year however they got lucky and got a spot at FW... they booked a site for 10 days... They have a 5th wheel...

They are meeting family who will be staying at Wilderness lodge for the Thanksgiving holiday... not at the DVC...

Is it possible to set up a 2 person tent for the grandsons to sleep in one night basically is there room and is this allowed? the grandsons are begging to sleep in a tent... they are around 10ish and most likely will end up coming in during the night to actually sleep... parents are getting a date night.

They want to have Thanksgiving dinner all together ( 6 adults and 2 grandsons) and are basically thinking of a bunch of appetizer and cocktails... nothing fancy, which means more upscale than cheese and crackers with her.... suggestion on easy stuff they will be in the parks most of the Thanksgiving day.... they were wondering about a extra picnic table, or should they bring a folding table... Also something about ordering just fried Chicken? no idea what she means.

Will the campfire happen on Thanksgiving?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated for them...

Do you know what category of site they have booked? I assume with a 5th wheel they are already fairly long in length. We are 30 ft travel trailer (spare tire to hitch) and have room to set up a good size tent behind the trailer on a Premium site and still have room for the truck in front. But I don't think there would be room in a Preferred site which are shorter. So I guess the answer is maybe ? And depends on the tent size I guess too.

If they need an extra table I would bring a folding one. The picnic tables are pretty heavy and hard to move (square or rectangular are site category dependent), they won't be able to request a second one for their site.

One tent is allowed as long as you have room in the campsite. You can move the table around if you need to fit in the tent on the little pad.

Disney does not have extra picnic tables, so bring a folding one if you need more room.

Easy appetizers would be shrimp cocktail, ceviche, Philly Cheesesteak dip, quiche, or sliders you can cook on the grill. The fried chicken is from P and J's Southern Takeout, a little restaurant next to Trail's End buffet. In addition to meals, you can get the chicken or ribs by the bucket/rack.

Not sure about the campfire.

Sorry, yes if the tent fits it is absolutely allowed! We have a tent and a travel trailer almost every year.

.... they were wondering about a extra picnic table, or should they bring a folding table... Also something about ordering just fried Chicken? no idea what she means....

They should bring a folding table as they may not be able to borrow one from a nearby site as that times of year it will be full up. I'm not even sure if borrowing one is even allowed.

The fried chicken they are talking about is from P&J's Southern Takeout at Crockets Tavern/HDDR area. It's the same fried chicken they serve at the Trails End and HDDR as they use the same kitchen. They have an 8 piece meal that is probably the best meal deal in all of Disney. You get 8 pieces of chicken, 2 sides, and cornbread for $23.50. In the past you have been able to get all white meat for a small upcharge. It's called the Giddyap And Go meal that some of us call the GAG meal tongue and cheek. The also have a 2 piece chicken meal. The full menu is below and has things such as ribs and pulled pork.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...d-js-southern-takeout/menus/lunch-and-dinner/

In 2017 we had a gathering at our site and the Fort brought us an extra picnic table via tractor and picked it up when we were done. Try calling and see if they still offer this service.

Thanks so much everyone... I talked with them last night..

They are hitting the road on Friday on their trip across the country, They both just retired.... So happy for them... She created a binder, and filed this info into to...

As far as the tent size, its a dome 2 to 3 person tent. She said that they have a small folding table, so they are going to buy a full size one...

So another question she had for me is do people decorate their camp site for Thanksgiving? she has a Mickey/with a giant turkey blow up she wants to bring...

Lastly for now anyways...We will be seeing them on Friday after Thanksgiving... I wanted to get them something for their camper kinda a house warming or camper warming gift... I bought 2 - S'mores kits which I know that they will use. Any suggestions on some little items, that I can make a basket for them out of... ?

So another question she had for me is do people decorate their camp site for Thanksgiving? she has a Mickey/with a giant turkey blow up she wants to bring...

Lastly for now anyways...We will be seeing them on Friday after Thanksgiving... I wanted to get them something for their camper kinda a house warming or camper warming gift... I bought 2 - S'mores kits which I know that they will use. Any suggestions on some little items, that I can make a basket for them out of... ?

As soon as Halloween is over people will start decorating for Christmas but that's not to say you won't see turkey day stuff as well mixed in.

Maybe a camp themed basket, a couple lighters, bug spray, trail mix, maybe a couple camping type coffee mugs personalized with their names on them with a couple hot cocoa packets, deck of cards, and if they don't already have one a camping/travel journal.

As soon as Halloween is over people will start decorating for Christmas but that's not to say you won't see turkey day stuff as well mixed in.

Maybe a camp themed basket, a couple lighters, bug spray, trail mix, maybe a couple camping type coffee mugs personalized with their names on them with a couple hot cocoa packets, deck of cards, and if they don't already have one a camping/travel journal.
Our DD got us a lighter similiar to this...

ZNQUFVR044WiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

No more burning fingers trying to get birthday candles to light.

A camping journal... what a great idea.. going to use this for sure...

They are appetizer people, so I thought about some type of smaller trays for them to use... I have this BBQ ( themed with BBQ logo) serving tray and she is that she always comments on it's, she did say that it was to big to fit in the camper... I found one at TJ Maxx yesterday, it smaller than mine... so I did pick it up, it's about 6 inches wide, and 12 inches long, heavy plastic and has a camper on it... so cute..

Just a suggestion for anyone staying at Ft Wilderness campgrounds at Thanksgiving (or anytime really) There are several PUBLIX grocery stores nearby, and they all will make turkey and all the fixins if you preorder ahead of time. The bakery will have all kinds of desserts that you can preorder as well. If you google PUBLIX, the closest locations would be Summerport, Lakeside Village, and even the Hamlin Groves location are all within 9 miles and very easy to get to. PUBLIX is closed on Thanksgiving Day, so you would need to pick the food orders up the day before.

I was just at Publix yesterday and the Bakery already had pumpkin pies in stock ! Must mean egg nog soon in refrigerated section!

Just a suggestion for anyone staying at Ft Wilderness campgrounds at Thanksgiving (or anytime really) There are several PUBLIX grocery stores nearby, and they all will make turkey and all the fixins if you preorder ahead of time. The bakery will have all kinds of desserts that you can preorder as well. If you google PUBLIX, the closest locations would be Summerport, Lakeside Village, and even the Hamlin Groves location are all within 9 miles and very easy to get to. PUBLIX is closed on Thanksgiving Day, so you would need to pick the food orders up the day before.

They are having a traditional meal at LTT for lunch, so this will be for after they finish in the parks... I told her to check out Aldi as they have some really good stuff for making appetizers. lots of dips, and prosciutto, cheese's, olives and such, and the cost factor is much less than at publix...Her DIL is getting an instacart order from Publix, so they are going to add some stuff in there as well...

I also found some cute tumblers, with camping themes on them, I got 6.. also found a picnic table cloth, the one with the straps on the corners so the wind doesn't blow it off , and some napkins to match... I found all this in 3 different stores, and they were all on clearance.

We are there for Thanksgiving annually and after having our meal in one of the resort restaurants we have late night drinks and apps back at the site.

Our easy ones to make ahead of time are:

1. Charcuterie Tray of Cheese, Italian Meats and Crackers
2. Pico de Gallo and Chips, add some cocktail shrimps for a nice ceviche
3. Caprese Salad
4. Veggie Cups
5. Skewers with Mozzarella Balls, Salami, Basil, Tomatoes and Olives
6. Jalapeno Poppers
7. Mexican Street Corn Station

Drinks:
Sangria, Palomas, Sparkling Grape Juice and Apple Cider

Around rhe fire:
Hot Chocolate for kids and for adults spike it with Peppermint RumChata!

Your other questions have been answered but just to reiterate with our own experience:
*We have a 41 ft. TT and have always fit (albeit a bit awkwardly) a larger 12 person tent on the site along with a CLAM Quickset Escape Screen Tent that sits nicely over our seating area).
*Yes, people have their Christmas stuff, Thanksgiving and some still have Halloween up at Thanksgiving time! It's pretty much an anything goes type of thing! LOL!

+As far as a gift:
We absolutely love the elastic fitted table cloth and bench covers that can make any picnic table nice and then add in the padded bench seats and it is an awesome gift for around $40.00

Battery operated lighters are awesome and can be paired with a monogrammed tray and some basic smores supplies. Easily done for around $20.00

Cutting Board set in a Mickey share from Amazon is perfect for a charcuterie board night $45.00 and you could add a box of crackers and or a wedge of cheese if desired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter