I wondered how long it would take...

The problem is that those products could have been handled by a lot of extra people by the time they are returned and need to be cleaned, etc. People who hoarded more than they could use have the ability to donate them through many channels. Costco is not keeping them from being distributed. They are preventing more hoarding.

honestly, I would not blame Costco (or any grocery store) suspending all returns etc. for the time being and focusing on the greater need - keeping the food supply going. Thank you to everyone who works in essential services right now!!!

I'm pretty sure one local chain has an "All Sales Final" in effect temporarily. And they've stopped giving rainchecks for out of stock sale items.

'

There is a shortage of disinfecting supplies during a pandemic. People were morons, and hoarded them. Now let's say an individual is trying to return some of said disinfecting supplies, which others are desperately trying to obtain in order to keep their families safe. Is it really that big of a deal for Costco to take the 3-pack of Lysol spray, wipe it with a bleach wipe, put it back on the shelf, only for it to be immediately purchased?

Seems to me that it is needlessly punishing those who didn't hoard, for the sake of a tiny marginal amount of additional profit.

Like was said up-thread, no one is trying to return them now, they are still trying to buy more. They are trying to get people to think before buying even more and then trying to return it in 6 months when they find out they didn't need that 20lb bag of rice or 8 cases of TP. No one is going to be returning anything that is currently out of stock everywhere, they'll wait until everyone has it on the shelves again.

Like was said up-thread, no one is trying to return them now, they are still trying to buy more. They are trying to get people to think before buying even more and then trying to return it in 6 months when they find out they didn't need that 20lb bag of rice or 8 cases of TP. No one is going to be returning anything that is currently out of stock everywhere, they'll wait until everyone has it on the shelves again.

In that case, I'm in 100% agreement. You hoard, and you live with the results. (I don't get out much these days, so I don't see too much of what is going on... ;) )

As a PSA on this issue, if you need to determine your TP "drop-dead date", here is a handy-dandy tool: https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/ For our family, the one Costco package of TP we have (purchased weeks before this craziness) should last our family.. 179 days. (Click on the "advanced" options for some great tweak-able dials such as "squares per roll" and squares used per... session)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter