I wish DCL offered a dinner buffet

I’ve always wanted to order room service for dinner and then bring it to the pool deck.
**Room service has to be delivered to your cabin
Maybe next time 😊😊💕

I would love a dinner buffet. It's funny because normally we don't really look for buffets when choosing where to eat. However our last two cruises (not on DCL) were very port intensive - a 12 night with 2 sea days and a 14 night with only 1 sea day. We loved being able to head to the buffet after a long, tiring day in port and just grab what we wanted. We didn't find the food repetitive at all, either. While they offered some of the same things each night, they also changed things up quite a bit, often having themed nights - seafood night, Asian night, Mexican night, etc. It was perfect for that type of cruise.

DCL leans more towards the dinner and a show concept, making dinner in the MDR's an event rather than a meal. I can appreciate that, but it doesn't mean I want to deal with it every night. Personally I don't find the pool deck food a fair substitute, either. It's fair quality (at best) and for what DCL charges, I really don't want to eat chicken fingers for dinner when I'm not up for the MDR. It will be interesting to see if anything is different on the newer ships, but I'm not holding my breath for any major dining changes.

As others have mentioned, the dining experience (set times, tables, long meals) on DCL is probably my biggest negative about them as compared with other cruise lines - well, besides price :P .

We just got off our first cruise on the Wonder a few weeks ago and we had a great time! Probably the only thing we would change is we wish DCL offered a dinner buffet. First off, let me say that we enjoyed our experience in the MDRs and our wait staff were great! The timing of our dinners was fine, it's just that a multi-course meal takes some time! Our dinners most nights averaged around 90 minutes and that was with our wait staff really hustling to get the courses out and we never felt like there was too much time between courses. But although we enjoyed the shows and our servers, we just aren't into long drawn-out meals for dinner each night for a week! We did eat up on the pool deck one night and we really enjoyed ourselves - my DH said it was his favorite meal that week! We loved not rushing to get changed for dinner and our kids had the slide to themselves! It felt like we gained so much extra time that night and were able to do many more things! My DH said if we do another DCL cruise he would want to eat most meals up on the pool deck again. I wouldn't necessarily mind this but there's not a ton of choice if you're eating there every night! I know Cabana's is open as a table service restaurant but I really wish they would keep it as a buffet for dinner! I loved our breakfasts sitting outside at Cabana's every morning - in fact we really prefer to eat outside if possible. We only managed to eat lunch at Cabana's a few times (we were in port each day!) but I loved the food offerings at lunch - I'm more into pasta and Asian food so I actually preferred those meals to most of my dinners!

Anyone else wish they would keep Cabana's a buffet each night and would you prefer that over the MDRs?
What you just pointed out is one major plus point for RCCL when people compare the two. We split our week on the Oasis between MDR and Buffet for dinner. make the week less stressful.

I’ve always wanted to order room service for dinner and then bring it to the pool deck.
**Room service has to be delivered to your cabin
Maybe next time 😊😊💕
That's a great idea! If only they would deliver to the pool deck! :)

I would love a dinner buffet. It's funny because normally we don't really look for buffets when choosing where to eat. However our last two cruises (not on DCL) were very port intensive - a 12 night with 2 sea days and a 14 night with only 1 sea day. We loved being able to head to the buffet after a long, tiring day in port and just grab what we wanted. We didn't find the food repetitive at all, either. While they offered some of the same things each night, they also changed things up quite a bit, often having themed nights - seafood night, Asian night, Mexican night, etc. It was perfect for that type of cruise.

DCL leans more towards the dinner and a show concept, making dinner in the MDR's an event rather than a meal. I can appreciate that, but it doesn't mean I want to deal with it every night. Personally I don't find the pool deck food a fair substitute, either. It's fair quality (at best) and for what DCL charges, I really don't want to eat chicken fingers for dinner when I'm not up for the MDR. It will be interesting to see if anything is different on the newer ships, but I'm not holding my breath for any major dining changes.

As others have mentioned, the dining experience (set times, tables, long meals) on DCL is probably my biggest negative about them as compared with other cruise lines - well, besides price :P .
We also never eat at buffets at home! I can't even remember eating at a buffet since we had kids other than when we are at Disney World! I like the idea of theme nights - I LOVE Mexican food, Italian, Asian, and a steak and potatoes is really not my thing so trying to find a variety that wasn't that each night in the MDR was tough (and I'm not a seafood fan). I would also agree that that was the only real downside that I found to the cruise even though I did still enjoy the MDR experience (and obviously price! ;) )

Just a thought in my head, but could it be DCL won't offer the dinner buffet option regularly because people won't eat in the MDR's and the wait staff will suffer a tip loss?
I thought about that too! We would definitely not adjust our tips at all even if we didn't dine in the MDR though!

I have never sailed with kids, so I guess I don't completely understand the need for a buffet. Part of the reason I sail with Disney is because of the service in the MDR's and the dinner periods which are enjoyable.

I have had servers in the past that are slower but obviously swamped so it was ok. When we were on the magic, most meals were upwards of 2 hours but it was still fine. The service was impeccable.

The one time I sailed on Norwegian, (The Epic, probably the worst ship in the world) the service and food was terrible. The buffet was open all the time but the food was so bad, very little of it could be eaten. I also saw them throwing out a LOT of food. It was embarrassing how much waste there was. The dinner service was horrendous also.

With Virgin coming out in a few months, they don't have a buffet at all which is an interesting choice. Based on the conservation efforts across the different cruise lines, I can't see more buffet time being added.

I have never sailed with kids, so I guess I don't completely understand the need for a buffet. Part of the reason I sail with Disney is because of the service in the MDR's and the dinner periods which are enjoyable.

I have had servers in the past that are slower but obviously swamped so it was ok. When we were on the magic, most meals were upwards of 2 hours but it was still fine. The service was impeccable.

The one time I sailed on Norwegian, (The Epic, probably the worst ship in the world) the service and food was terrible. The buffet was open all the time but the food was so bad, very little of it could be eaten. I also saw them throwing out a LOT of food. It was embarrassing how much waste there was. The dinner service was horrendous also.

With Virgin coming out in a few months, they don't have a buffet at all which is an interesting choice. Based on the conservation efforts across the different cruise lines, I can't see more buffet time being added.
I think for us at least, it less about the kids and more about just wanting options other than sitting down for a 90 minute meal each night. My DH hates going out to eat at home because he feels like it takes too long. And when we eat dinner at home, he often scarfs down his food and then gets up from the table - at which point I need to gently remind him that the rest of us are still eating! Lol! I would say probably the only time we would ever want a long leisurely meal is if we were sitting outside somewhere with an amazing view. Otherwise we'd rather move on to other business! :)

I think for us at least, it less about the kids and more about just wanting options other than sitting down for a 90 minute meal each night. My DH hates going out to eat at home because he feels like it takes too long. And when we eat dinner at home, he often scarfs down his food and then gets up from the table - at which point I need to gently remind him that the rest of us are still eating! Lol! I would say probably the only time we would ever want a long leisurely meal is if we were sitting outside somewhere with an amazing view. Otherwise we'd rather move on to other business! :)

I totally understand that. As a kid, my parents had the "no one gets up till everyone is done" rule and I guess that's why I have no issues with it to this day. I haven't traveled with kids though and I can imagine they are impatient to get to the next thing they want to do.

I have a friend who has an autistic son. They travel with Disney because he can order from room service at night when the dining rooms are a bit overstimulating and he has had enough for the day. They will leave him in the room to eat and go to dinner themselves with a wave phone (now that they can text they do that instead) in case he needs anything. Normally on a 7 night he will eat with them only 2 or 3 times in the MDR's. Definitely an interesting choice and maybe an alternative?

Just a thought in my head, but could it be DCL won't offer the dinner buffet option regularly because people won't eat in the MDR's and the wait staff will suffer a tip loss?
I wouldn't think so. Gratuities are (typically) added automatically to your onboard account. To be divided and shared by your room host, dining room server, assistant server, and head server. The servers in Cabanas (for dinner) are in training and are on a salary, and not in the tipping pool.

I thought about that too! We would definitely not adjust our tips at all even if we didn't dine in the MDR though!
I would say no. On other lines tips are also given to wait staff regardless of where or how you eat. . It has more to do with rotational/fix schedule dining and scheduling staff I would think.
With royal half of the MDR is a fixed schedule for those who choose and single night reservations/ standby for any-time dining. They are able to split servers up to different stations based on demand, which they see by prebookings. .

I hope everyone is filling out on their comment cards and any surveys about this (we do). I get DCL on the MDR's, the logistics and their commitment to service/shows which makes them a bit different than other lines. However, the parks are changing to accommodate on how people vacation, why can't the cruise line?

I agree on perhaps having one side open for the buffet. However, seeing comments here makes me think the MDR might be a bit empty and Cabanas overpacked if this were to happen. Bummer. I hope this is being re-evaluated with the newer ships and not just "let's have another pricey, dressy, specialty restaurant".

I witnessed this on RCL (Oasis) where the dinner buffet was always super crowded and the MDR was maybe 60-70% full. The head server would call our room wondering why we haven't shown up for dinner, practically begging us to return. We only went to the MDR on seafood night (DH is a big fan of seafood). The rest was either at a specialty(not all of them are dress up like Palo/Remy), buffet or quick grab on our own schedule. It is nice to have a family sit down dinner, but for small families, you are likely sharing with strangers so not exactly much-desired family time. I wish there was some sort of middle ground solution.

We love DCL but really dread the MDR like the OP's DH - especially the time I feel is wasted for the most part. I guess I am jaded as last time we were always the last served in our section (with little to no apology from our servers or their supervisor), our meals were lasting almost 2 hours (late seating) and still waiting on dessert. We left most nights not getting to dessert because of the wait. I let DCL know about their subpar service. We have a short 4 night coming up and we are really debating just doing the Cabanas sitdown if it is a decent menu and doing room service or whatever is on deck, skipping MDR all together.

We sail DCL very often and I still enjoy the MDR's...I think we have missed the MDR's just a few times over the last 20 years. I enjoy the slower pace and know where and when I have to show up to eat!! I can see the appeal for a buffet alternative though. Who knows that the Wish will hold for dining options when she comes into service.

MJ

A buffet in Cabanas doesn't interest me at all. I avoid buffets in general and specifically don't like Cabanas on Disney's ships. I don't like the tables/layout, it's always way too hot in there because they just can't seem to cool it adequately, and the germs from non-clean hands serving themselves is a really strong turn-off for me.

A buffet in Cabanas doesn't interest me at all. I avoid buffets in general and specifically don't like Cabanas on Disney's ships. I don't like the tables/layout, it's always way too hot in there because they just can't seem to cool it adequately, and the germs from non-clean hands serving themselves is a really strong turn-off for me.

When we sailed on the Dream one time, they had extra precautions up due to a few illnesses on the previous cruise. (We were on a 4 night after a weekend 3 night) so cast in Cabanas were serving the food (as always, you could have as much as you wanted) but someone behind the counter to serve you as opposed to guests serving themselves. There were far more CM's in cabanas than I have ever seen before.

I understand why they can't always do this, but for a germiphobe like myself, it was heaven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter