I was scammed before my cruise

Just curious that since you were in London, why were you quoted in USD? Did you specifically ask for USD?

LAX
I

I wasn’t quoted US dollars. It was 15 pounds that comes out to around 18.49 in ius dollars. I wasn’t going to name the city but people wanted to know what city it was.

I've experienced taxi scams twice: they happen everywhere. Once was in NYC where the driver quoted a price nearly double the flat rate from JFK to Manhattan. Once was in Boston where the driver "forgot" to turn on the meter (not realizing I was a local--even though I happened to get that cab at a hotel--so knew exactly how much it cost on average to get the airport) and tried to charge me three times the normal fare. That driver got really aggressive and threatened not to open my trunk to get my suitcase and to drive off without it, but thankfully there was an airport cop who I called over and was not pleased that the driver didn't have his meter going.

I'm sorry that happened to you. We rarely take actual taxis and usually just use Uber when going places, including in Europe. We did one taxi in London, but we discussed with him how much it would cost before getting in and that was the amount we paid when we got there.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry that you were scammed like this. Hope it didn't put a damper on the start of your vacation. Consider it a cheap lesson. At least no one was hurt or identity stolen.

We had 2 families arrive into Vancouver earlier this year for our cruise. At the airport taxi line, there was a clear sign showing the taxi rates to different zones in the city. Our zone was $35. We took separate taxis. When we arrived at our hotel, the taxi driver said $42. I said the zone rates showed $35. He hesitated for a few seconds, and then lied and said that those rates were changed last week! He then said he would accept $40. We didn't want to start our trip off with bad vibes or have to waste time filing a complaint so we just paid him.

When we caught up with the other family, we shared our sad experience with them. They said their taxi driver charged them $48!

Is this a common thing? Really makes us want to rent a car in the future.

Taxis in Vancouver are awful. And they have such a strong lobby that we are having a hell of a time getting ridesharing like Uber or Lyft here. Strongly recommend avoiding taxis and taking Canada Line instead.

Taxis in Vancouver are awful. And they have such a strong lobby that we are having a hell of a time getting ridesharing like Uber or Lyft here. Strongly recommend avoiding taxis and taking Canada Line instead.
We heard about the taxi problem in Vancouver from a Canadian friend in Ontario (guess bad taxi service in Vancouver travels across the country) The Canada Line is great and love the service from YVR to the port area.

Yep, this is why alternatives like Uber are becoming so popular. You know the cost ahead of time. Vacationers are prime targets for scammers. Not a great way to start a vacation- feeling ‘had’.
Yes! We try to use Uber, Lyft, Grab, and other similar services whenever we can.

Just so people know, the OP is talking about BICYCLE taxis in London. These are like rickshaws, and are unregulated and unlicensed, operating due to loopholes in the system. They frequent the West End theatre area and the main tourist areas of London. Many of them play music and have party decorations to get the attention of tourist's.

The OP is not talking about the famous Black Cab taxis of London or Uber, which are very regulated and licenced.

Just so people know, the OP is talking about BICYCLE taxis in London. These are like rickshaws, and are unregulated and unlicensed, operating due to loopholes in the system. They frequent the West End theatre area and the main tourist areas of London. Many of them play music and have party decorations to get the attention of tourist's.

The OP is not talking about the famous Black Cab taxis of London or Uber, which are very regulated and licenced.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

We always use Uber where it is available...so I know the price before I get into the car and don't exchange any money directly with the driver! Uber is available in London!

Last week in Athens I handed the taxi driver a €50 plus €20 Euro note to pay the €60 cab fare plus tip.
He accused me of giving him a €10 plus €20 note and I had to make the money up.
Wonder how many times he pulls that trick. Again no point in arguing but it was just not a nice feeling that I’d been scammed.

Taxi drivers are &%&*&^%%$$ in Vancouver, we would NEVER take a taxi here. Ride sharing cannot come fast enough and of course the corupt and disgusting taxi union is trying to stop it.
Are you saying taxi drivers are worse in Vancouver than in other places? Or perhaps they're the same everywhere, but few people use them anymore where ridesharing is available? We did look into Canada Line, but it just didn't seem worth the hassle with little ones and a senior in a wheelchair.

Are you saying taxi drivers are worse in Vancouver than in other places? Or perhaps they're the same everywhere, but few people use them anymore where ridesharing is available? We did look into Canada Line, but it just didn't seem worth the hassle with little ones and a senior in a wheelchair.

I have certainly found them worse here than in many other places I've been to and without ridesharing there is little motivation on their part to improve. Given the choice between a taxi and Canada Line, even with little kids and strollers, I would always choose Canada Line. Supposedly we are getting ridesharing by the end of the year though.

I've lived in Vancouver my whole life, and have had several crappy experiences with taxi drivers here so no, I will not use taxis in Vancouver or it's suburbs EVER again. Canada Line is fantastic, but it's harder when you have someone in a wheelchair or who needs a stroller because not every station is equipped with an elevator (crazy!)

We arrived two days early before my cruise to see the city. I won’t name the city because it was a very nice city and I’m sure this scam happens everywhere including my home state.
we went to get a bicycle taxi and asked how much to get to a place. He pulls out a paper and had the price to the place we wanted to get to. The price was 18.49 inUS dollars. So we said ok. . So when we get to the destination he pulls out the chart again and at top of the chart he shows me per person.
instead of making a scene in a foreign country I just paid it. Yes I was stupid and dumb. Yes it was only 18.49 that I got scammed but I still got scammed. Maybe it will help someone here to not get scammed like I was.

Same thing happened to us in London before our transatlantic cruise started this month! We just let it go since we didn’t want it to ruin our vacation and took it as a lessoned learned

Taxi drivers are &%&*&^%%$$ in Vancouver, we would NEVER take a taxi here.

I’ve taken taxis in Vancouver several times and would recommend them over any city's taxis. Clean cars, polite drivers, and the exact fare as expected.

I’m mystified by the statements here.

We did look into Canada Line, but it just didn't seem worth the hassle with little ones and a senior in a wheelchair.

Not in my opinion. We were a family of three, no strollers or wheelchairs, and I didn’t like my Canada Line experience. Confusing ticket kiosk, not really traveler friendly onboard, inexplicable seemingly-random slowdowns,and then you still have to walk to your hotel with your bags. No thanks.

We took a taxi for the way back.

We had kind of the opposite happen once. Last year we were in San Juan before our cruise and we had been taking Uber everywhere. I had been the one using the app but for some reason this one time DH did it.

The guy picks us up and we’re expecting to go back to our hotel, a Marriott. We pull up 10 minutes later in an unfamiliar place that’s not our hotel. We tell the guy we’re in the wrong place and he starts telling me that if we want to go somewhere else then we have to pay him more money. I started to get very upset. I’ve spent a lot of time in NYC and there’s a lot of scammers and Gypsy cabs and things to watch out for. I was sure he just be trying to take advantage of us. Turns out DH selected the wrong Marriott in the app :sad2:

I've lived in Vancouver my whole life, and have had several crappy experiences with taxi drivers here so no, I will not use taxis in Vancouver or it's suburbs EVER again. Canada Line is fantastic, but it's harder when you have someone in a wheelchair or who needs a stroller because not every station is equipped with an elevator (crazy!)

Not true. Every station on sky train/Canada line has an elevator.

I’ve taken taxis in Vancouver several times and would recommend them over any city's taxis. Clean cars, polite drivers, and the exact fare as expected.

I’m mystified by the statements here.

Not in my opinion. We were a family of three, no strollers or wheelchairs, and I didn’t like my Canada Line experience. Confusing ticket kiosk, not really traveler friendly onboard, inexplicable seemingly-random slowdowns,and then you still have to walk to your hotel with your bags. No thanks.

We took a taxi for the way back.

Every taxi driver in Vancouver isn’t awful. It is certainly possible to get lucky.

The difference is BCWife and I are speaking as locals who have a lot more experience with the taxi system in Vancouver. When I say it’s bad I’m not using one experience but a decade’s worth. I’m glad you had a good experience.

Sorry that happened to you!
We were with you on this cruise.
On our first tour, our tour guide actually warned us about the pedi-bike scams and said to be careful.
Even though it was only $20, its still infuriating that they do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter