I was not allowed to use rocking chairs at Baby Care Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most moms in real life watch out for one another. I can't imagine IRL a mom seeing another in need, and not reaching out to help, whether it was a bfeeding mom, pumping mom, projectile vomiting mom, or just a mom with a child who couldn't be calmed, and needed to sit in the dark. Msg. boards bring out the extremes like "if you let bottles in, the men will follow."

And where did you hear about the child smuggling rings going on at WDW? I must have missed that newsflash, I have never heard of a kidnapping at WDW. :confused3

You must have missed the leash thread. I think there was also something about light up shoes... and one other thing. Can't remember now.

I do plan accordingly. Unfortunately there are times where a melt down will come from out of nowhere and that room has saved us where we could quietly bring her back to an activity she does everyday at home.

DD(4) was diagnosed with OCD at her 15month appointment and while WDW is a good vacation for us NOW where she knows what to expect and what will generally happen while there ~ there is OCCASIONALLY be a time where we need to whisk her away and give her a dose of "routine" or familiarity.

We spend months telling her all about what is going to happen and trying to prep her. But you can't anticipate everything.

BTW ~ she is my easy child.

Would we stay home if it weren't there? Heck no. But it is fantastic that it is there for when we need that 10 minutes to bring her back to herself.

Most moms in real life watch out for one another. I can't imagine IRL a mom seeing another in need, and not reaching out to help, whether it was a bfeeding mom, pumping mom, projectile vomiting mom, or just a mom with a child who couldn't be calmed, and needed to sit in the dark. Msg. boards bring out the extremes like "if you let bottles in, the men will follow."

I definitely would help any mom who looks like she needs it and would welcome it.

I just wanted to say that if anyone thinks that I have not been given very dirty looks by people for bottle feeding my baby at Disney or any other public place your very very wrong. Everyone has their own opinions and either way your going to get the wrath of people who believe one way or the other.

My only feeling on this is I did and would bottle feed my baby in public at Disney I also sat in the TV rooms at Disney feeding my baby. I didn't mind not being able to feed her in one of the chairs. I wish however that they would be as strict with people who are there for who knows what reason just running around acting crazy with no intentions of feeding, changing, calming anything it's not a playcare it's a baby station and should be used as such. I'm not saying that they should interrogated people when they come in to ask what they are there for but if your kids 4 and 5 needed a time out (as when I was there at one point) this is not the best place for them as they scream and cry they want to ride Dumbo and you tell them to sit they are in time out while I am calmly feeding my baby following the rules of the space. I also agree that if you want a calm quiet place then maybe your hotel room is the best place because anyone who things one of the benches or other areas outside are calm and quiet to bottle feed they are sadly mistaken, this is Disney remember.

I wish however that they would be as strict with people who are there for who knows what reason just running around acting crazy with no intentions of feeding, changing, calming anything it's not a playcare it's a baby station and should be used as such. I'm not saying that they should interrogated people when they come in to ask what they are there for but if your kids 4 and 5 needed a time out (as when I was there at one point) this is not the best place for them as they scream and cry they want to ride Dumbo and you tell them to sit they are in time out while I am calmly feeding my baby following the rules of the space. I also agree that if you want a calm quiet place then maybe your hotel room is the best place because anyone who things one of the benches or other areas outside are calm and quiet to bottle feed they are sadly mistaken, this is Disney remember.

I wonder if all the centers are different or if it changes based on if they are busy or not. When I went the the BCC in Disneyland during off season there was someone waiting as soon as I walked in to ask what I needed assistance with. When I said I needed to pump I was immediately shown where to go. There wasn't anyone running around etc it was all organized. I had the impression I was supposed to go to a certain designated area and not wonder around. However, I have also been to BCC in Magic Kingom and it did appear quite hectic. One time there was other parents in the Kitchen area telling another parents were items were and to just help themselves.

:confused3

Still wondering what the CM could/should have done differently to not seem rude to OP while sticking to the policy (that would have been satisfactory to OP, even if she wasn't permitted in the room).

Still wondering what the CM could/should have done differently to not seem rude to OP while sticking to the policy (that would have been satisfactory to OP, even if she wasn't permitted in the room).

Since I wasn't there, I am not sure. But the OP said that the CMs "shrugged" and "snapped the policy at her" while she was upset. Sometimes a little empathy goes a long way.

Right or wrong, if the policy is "only breastfeeding mothers" in the room, then I don't blame them for enforcing the policy. But if she was obviously upset, an "I'm very sorry you're upset, but I'm afraid I can't allow you to ... because Disney policy is..." is a lot different than "Too bad. There's a sign. Get out."

Since I wasn't there, I am not sure. But the OP said that the CMs "shrugged" and "snapped the policy at her" while she was upset. Sometimes a little empathy goes a long way.

Right or wrong, if the policy is "only breastfeeding mothers" in the room, then I don't blame them for enforcing the policy. But if she was obviously upset, an "I'm very sorry you're upset, but I'm afraid I can't allow you to ... because Disney policy is..." is a lot different than "Too bad. There's a sign. Get out."

And sometimes we "hear" things when we are told no. I can't think of anything the CM could have said during this issue that would not have upset the OP.

And sometimes we "hear" things when we are told no. I can't think of anything the CM could have said during this issue that would not have upset the OP.

Really? You really can't think of a nicer thing to say than shrugging?

How about ~ "I am really sorry ~ I understand you are upset ~ but it is Disney's policy"

Or even "I am really sorry you are upset"

Or "I understand how this might upset you"

Anything that shows some compassion and understanding for another person.

That's also a definite possibility... but since neither of us were actually there, we don't really know. I was going with what the OP said happened.

Really? You really can't think of a nicer thing to say than shrugging?

How about ~ "I am really sorry ~ I understand you are upset ~ but it is Disney's policy"

Or even "I am really sorry you are upset"

Or "I understand how this might upset you"

Anything that shows some compassion and understanding for another person.

I think you misread Livndisney's post. She said:

I can't think of anything the CM could have said during this issue that would not have upset the OP.

I think you misread Livndisney's post. She said:

I can't think of anything the CM could have said during this issue that would not have upset the OP.

:confused3 OP was upset since she was shrugged and treated rudely.

There are a lot of things the CM could of said that wouldn't have made the OP feel she was spoken to rudely.

:confused3 OP was upset since she was shrugged and treated rudely.

There are a lot of things the CM could of said that wouldn't have made the OP feel she was spoken to rudely.

The only thing the CM could have said was "sure go ahead and use the room". But since that is not the policy (as quoted by 2 different CM's) there was not a lot the CM's could do.

Hopefully, she will be able to get off her formula soon but right now it is medically necessary for her to remain on it. We do what we need to do and try to have as much fun as we can. We're not about to become hermits just because our daughter needs a quiet spot to eat.

Something that hasn't been mentioned as an option here for a place to go to attend to a baby with a medical need: the First Aid Station!

I had a problem with my ds at DL over Christmas....he started throwing up and I didn't know why (too cold? allergic reaction? just an upset tummy?). Anyway, I high-tailed it over to the BCC and they turned me away when I wanted (needed) to bring the stroller in with him in it (couldn't get him out and carry him in all barf covered plus carry all the stuff I needed in case it was an allergic reaction). Suggested I go to First Aid instead. Worked out great! They gave me a private room; I was able to basically bathe him in the sink in that room. They gave me towels and wash clothes and an extra towel to wrap around him while I went to buy him a new warm outfit at the Emporium.

It's pretty quiet in the First Aid stations; they are right next to the BCC. If your baby needs a quiet place you could probably go in there, even if it's just to sit in the foyer. Just a thought....

The only thing the CM could have said was "sure go ahead and use the room". But since that is not the policy (as quoted by 2 different CM's) there was not a lot the CM's could do.

I believe you are purposely avoiding the point of HOW it was said so you can be right.

I will say it again. There is a nice way and a rude way to say the same thing.

So NO "sure go ahead and use the room" wasn't the only thing that could have been said. A kind and understanding word goes a long way.

Something that hasn't been mentioned as an option here for a place to go to attend to a baby with a medical need: the First Aid Station!

I had a problem with my ds at DL over Christmas....he started throwing up and I didn't know why (too cold? allergic reaction? just an upset tummy?). Anyway, I high-tailed it over to the BCC and they turned me away when I wanted (needed) to bring the stroller in with him in it (couldn't get him out and carry him in all barf covered plus carry all the stuff I needed in case it was an allergic reaction). Suggested I go to First Aid instead. Worked out great! They gave me a private room; I was able to basically bathe him in the sink in that room. They gave me towels and wash clothes and an extra towel to wrap around him while I went to buy him a new warm outfit at the Emporium.

It's pretty quiet in the First Aid stations; they are right next to the BCC. If your baby needs a quiet place you could probably go in there, even if it's just to sit in the foyer. Just a thought....

I wandered into the First Aid station at MK by accident when I needed to change my DD into different clothes and wash her off for dinner. They were SO NICE. They weren't busy and they gave us a room to use.

I wandered into the First Aid station at MK by accident when I needed to change my DD into different clothes and wash her off for dinner. They were SO NICE. They weren't busy and they gave us a room to use.

We've used them ~ when DD fell and scunned a lot of skin off her elbow.

They were AWESOME with her. And she thought it was WAY cool that Mickey Mouse was the nurse's boss. :)

I will say it again. There is a nice way and a rude way to say the same thing.

/QUOTE]

And how we hear those words can change greatly depending on our mood. The OP said it was a sensative subject, and that she started to tear up and get upset. It could very well be that the OP would have been upset and thought the CM rude no matter how the words were delivered. We will never know.

I give up ~ you all are right. The OP wasn't spoken to rudely. She was sensitive and read it as rudeness.

*shrugs and moves on*

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter