khertz

DIS Veteran
When there's a smile in your heart
There's no better time to start
Think of all the joy you'll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye
You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 7th Trip Report! If you followed over from my PTR, welcome back, but if you are just now finding me for the very first time, welcome aboard! We had an amazing trip filled with lots of magical memories that I can't wait to share with you. But wait, who am I? Glad you asked. Let's get to the introductions, shall we?

IMG_3875 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

First up is my little family of three. I am the chick on the right, also known as khertz. :wave2: I'm a wife and mom, Disney lover, and pediatric nurse, in that order. This was my 11th trip to WDW, and I have been to Disneyland twice, both times last year. I also LOVE writing and reading trip reports, hence why you are hopefully following along with this one. Now for a few of my Disney favorites...

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Rides: Splash Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, Rock'n'Roller Coaster
Favorite Characters: Mickey Mouse, Rapunzel
Favorite Restaurant: Via Napoli
Favorite Shows: Boo To You parade, Dream Along With Mickey, Wishes, Mickey's Philharmagic, Festival of the Lion King
Favorite Movies: Tangled, Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid

Up next is my wonderful DH, sometimes to be found on the boards as DDuck4Life. He's an engineer working in the oil field juggling radioactive sources, a la Homer Simpson. Luckily, we both fell in love with Disney World in a whole new way on our honeymoon, or I don't know if this marriage would have lasted this long. :rotfl: Just kidding! But really, it's wonderful to share the love of all things Disney! This was his 10th trip to WDW, and he has also been to Disneyland 3 times. He also enjoys photography, trading Vinylmations, and Mardi Gras is probably his favorite holiday hands down. His list of favorites include...

Favorite Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite Rides: Big Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror, Mad Tea Party
Favorite Characters: Donald Duck
Favorite Restaurant: Sci-Fi
Favorite Shows: Main Street Electrical Parade
Favorite Movies: Wall-E, Princess & the Frog, Wreck-It Ralph

And rounding out our family is DS! He made 3 years old on our trip, and luckily for us, has turned out to be just as big of a Disney nut as his parents! He looked forward to this trip almost as much as I did, and enjoyed counting down the days with me by removing a Mickey head from our countdown calendar each day. I'm not entirely sure he understood what the entire process was for, as he asked to take down a Mickey head at times while we were IN Disney World, and has done so a few times since getting home. :rotfl: But nevertheless, he again had a wonderful time celebrating his birthday for an entire week at the place where dreams come true! This was his 3rd trip in as many years, and he has also been to Disneyland once. His favorites all pretty much overlap as you will definitely notice a theme of things he REALLY likes. :laughing:

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Rides: It's a Small World, Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel, Mad Tea Party, WDW Railroad
Favorite Characters: Lightning McQueen, Mickey Mouse, Peter Pan, Dusty Crophopper
Favorite Shows: Disney Junior Live on Stage, Main Street Electrical Parade, Dream Along With Mickey
Favorite Movies: Cars, Cars 2, Peter Pan, Planes

For a few days of our trip, we overlapped with some of our family members, my parents, my sister and her BF, and my in-laws. I didn't call to ask their favorites, so you will just get a photo and a quick intro to them.

P1140910 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Poppi & Nonni on the left, and if you read my TR from last year, you probably remember them! My parents, who definitely don't spoil DS at all, considering he is their first and only grandchild. ;) And with them, my sister Katie and her boyfriend Mitchell. My parents started taking us on trips when I was about 12 and my sister was 6. I used to make fun of how much planning my mom did, and would get so embarrassed every time she whipped out her little notebook to take note of how much we enjoyed or didn't enjoy an attraction or meal. If only I had known then that I would end up being 10x worse!

IMG_9537 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

And finally, my in-laws, also known as Mammy & Pappy. They are DH's mother and step-father, and you may also recognize them if you read my very first TR from our 2009 Christmas trip where they also joined us. They also enjoy Disney, but I don't think they are as hardcore as the rest of us! But they still had a good time.

Now that you have met everyone, let's go over the basics of this trip.

WHEN: October 22nd-30th (with our family joining us in the parks from the 23-25...they arrived before us and left before we did)
WHERE: Wyndham Bonnet Creek with one night at the Royal Pacific Resort
WHAT: One day at Universal Orlando, followed by 7 days in WDW, including our first MNSSHP
WHY: To celebrate DS's 3rd birthday, which occurred during the trip!

I hope you found all of that interesting enough to join along in our adventure, because I sure do have a lot of fun and magical memories I can't wait to share with you!

Table of Contents

Introductions

Tuesday October 22nd
Day 1 Part 1: There's a Neverland Waiting For You
Day 1 Part 2: Please Do Not Throw Rocks
Day 1 Part 3: How It Got Here I Haven't a Clue

Wednesday October 23rd
Day 2 Part 1: Please Respect the Spell Limits
Day 2 Part 2: "I Wanna See That Throwin' Up Boy"
Day 2 Part 3: It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!
Day 2 Part 4: Now Is the Time...
Day 2 Part 5: Home of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
Day 2 Part 6: Welcome to Jurassic Park!
Day 2 Part 7: Look Out! Here Comes the Spider-Man
Day 2 Part 8: Beware the Forbidden Journey
Day 2 Part 9: Under the Magical Archway

Thursday October 24th
Day 3 Part 1: Good Morning, Good Morning!
Day 3 Part 2: Welcome To A Place Where Dreams Come True
Day 3 Part 3: I'm So Rumbly In My Tumbly
Day 3 Part 4: Tale As Old As Time
Day 3 Part 5: There Must Be More Than This Provincial Life
Day 3 Part 6: We Got No Trouble, Life Is the Bubbles
Day 3 Part 7: I'll Paint the Walls Some More, I'm Sure There's Room Somewhere
Day 3 Part 8: Everything You Do Celebrate You
Day 3 Part 9: Come Join the Party, A Castle Party!
Day 3 Part 10: Your Attention Please...
Day 3 Part 11: When You Close Your Eyes Then You Realize Any Dream Is Possible!
Day 3 Part 12: Happy Birthday to You!

Friday October 25th
Day 4 Part 1: There's More to See Than Can Ever Be Seen
Day 4 Part 2: When I was a Young Warthooooog!
Day 4 Part 3: Asante Sana, Squash Banana
Day 4 Part 4: Now Entering...Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama!
Day 4 Part 5: Dig and dig and dig and diggety dig
Day 4 Part 6: Characterpalooza!
Day 4 Part 7: No Cuts, No Buts, No Coconuts
Day 4 Part 8: "Poised to shape the future of this, our spaceship earth"
Day 4 Part 9: I'm Missing You Like Candy
Day 4 Part 10: This Must Be POP!

Saturday October 26th
Day 5 Part 1: You've Got A Friend In Me
Day 5 Part 2: "Mo-om! Phineas & Ferb Stole My PhotoPass Pictures!"
Day 5 Part 3: A Visit to MU
Day 5 Part 4: Lunch at the Drive-In
Day 5 Part 5: Disney Jr, Where the Magic Begins
Day 5 Part 6: We're Pumping Up the Party Now!
Day 5 Part 7: Saving the World From the Evil Emperor Zurg!
Day 5 Part 8: So This Is Love...

Sunday October 27th
Day 6 Part 1: The Second Star to the Right
Day 6 Part 2: We're All Mad Here
Day 6 Part 3: There's Magic In the Air Tonight
Day 6 Part 4: Like All You Lovely Folks I've Got A Dream!
Day 6 Part 5: It's Really Not So Scary
Day 6 Part 6: Boo To You & You & You & You!
Day 6 Part 7: Give Me Something Good to Eat
Day 6 Part 8: Happy Hallowishes, Everyone!
Day 6 Part 9: Now Walk It By Yourself
Day 6 Part 10: It's Not So Very Scary

Monday October 28th
Day 7 Part 1: Somewhere Beyond the Sea
Day 7 Part 2: Fish Are Friends, Not Food!
Day 7 Part 3: One Little Spark Lights Up For You
Day 7 Part 4: She Really Is A Funny Girl, That Belle!
Day 7 Part 5: La Bella Vita
Day 7 Part 6: Bear Hugs
Day 7 Part 7: A Dinner Here Is Never Second Best
Day 7 Part 8: We Burn Up the City, We're Really a Fright
Day 7 Part 9: Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...
Day 7 Part 10: ...The Main Street Electrical Parade!
Day 7 Part 11: And It All Starts With A Wish
Day 7 Part 12: Welcome, Foolish Mortals

Tuesday October 29th
Day 8 Part 1: 'Ohana Means Family
Day 8 Part 2: Happy Birthday to You!
Day 8 Part 3: I'm Tired of Monkeyin' Around
Day 8 Part 4: I Look Once More Just Around the Riverbend
Day 8 Part 5: A Wilderness Explorer Is Friend to All
Day 8 Part 6: Best. Characterpalooza. EVER.
Day 8 Part 7: I'm So Excited to Be...Sofia the First!
Day 8 Part 8: Love In A Rollercoaster

Wednesday October 30th
Day 9 Part 1: Step Inside Our Storybook!
Day 9 Part 2: Think of the Happiest Things, It's the Same as Having Wings
Day 9 Part 3: Down the Rabbit Hole
Day 9 Part 4: It's the Truth, It's Actual
Day 9 Part 5: Everything Is Satisfactual!
Day 9 Part 6: No One's Slick As Gaston
Day 9 Part 7: Now It's Time to Say Goodbye...

October 2013 Wrap Up!

Life Updates
Yep...we are GOING BACK!
Carnival Time Part 1
Carnival Time Part 2

Can't wait to hear all about it - love your TR's! :cool1: Am I first? That would be a first!

Day 1: Tuesday October 22nd

Before I get to the real day 1, our travel actually started the night before! For all of our Disney trips, we find it best to drive to the airport in New Orleans, about 2 hours from where we live, to take the direct flight to Orlando on Southwest. Originally, we had booked a later morning flight so we could get up that morning and drive straight to the airport from our house instead of having to spend the night in NOLA the night before. But at kind of the last minute, we decided to go to my mom's house near NOLA Monday night since they were already in Disney and their 6 dogs were boarded (the dogs were pretty much the reason we didn't plan on staying at their house, so them not being there made it an easier decision!). I picked DS up from daycare after spending the day packing and getting the house ready. We came home and I gave him a really early bath and showered myself, then we had a quick dinner of chicken quesadillas, which is both quick to make and not a lot of clean up! Before getting in the car, DS and I had a little business to take care of...taking down that last Mickey head from our countdown!

0002 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

We got to my parent's house around 7:30 and didn't waste much time getting DS down to sleep in the guest room. DH and I decided to sleep in my parents room because sharing a room with DS is usually the reason we don't sleep too well when we are there. Those that have been following me awhile know my parent's house was flooded last year during Hurricane Isaac. They recently got finished with all of their renovations, and new furniture meant memory foam mattresses! So after watching one of our Monday night shows, The Blacklist, we turned on the Monday Night Football game, and I don't remember being awake more than 5 minutes after that. Yay for sleep! Usually I have a terrible time sleeping at my parents house, but I think with us 3 being the only ones there and more comfortable sleeping arrangements, we all got a good night's rest. And we didn't have to wake up super early in the morning, so BONUS!

I woke up around 6, well before our alarm was set, and of course I couldn't go back to sleep because we were leaving for Disney World! I laid in bed until about 7 when DS woke up crying saying his belly hurt. Uh oh. I'm of course already thinking the worst, and even started feeling his head to make sure he didn't have a fever (I had just listened to a podcast episode a couple days before about a guest whose son had appendicitis on their trip!). But what do they say about hearing hooves and thinking zebras? Turns out he was just really hungry because we had eaten dinner so early the night before and he had not eaten much. He ate 2 pieces of toast, a granola bar, and had a glass of orange juice, and he was all set. He played until about 9 am, when it was time to start loading up the truck to head to the airport. I was ready to go in my Hollywood Tower Hotel t-shirt!

0002 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

We drove to Louis Armstrong International without incident and went over to the lot across the street where we had a Groupon (NOT the same place we had a groupon for our Disneyland anniversary trip that was disastrous!). We were directed over to the uncovered lot and parked, and there was a shuttle already waiting to take us over to the airport.

We were the first ones on the shuttle dropped off, and we had to shlep our many bags over to the check-in counter. But once we were relieved of our 2 checked bags, it was a little easier to maneuver around the airport. We headed over to security, which went by quickly since they had just started to get a little congested and directed us to the line they had just opened. We were at our gate by 10 am and our flight wasn't until 11:30. After watching the planes out of the window for a bit, DS started whining that he was hungry! I guess the poor dude really was feeling it after his pitiful dinner the night before. So just after 10 am, DH went over to Subway and got a pizza and milk for DS. While DH was gone, DS got a little silly.

0003 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0004 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

Once he returned with the food, DS was ready to chow down. So we settled him in the stroller with his pizza while DH and I decided what the two of us were going to eat since we'd be on the plane for lunch. DH decided he wanted a meatball sub from Subway, but he didn't want to get it until right before we got on the plane so it would still be hot. When DS slowed down on the pizza after eating about 2/3 I ate the rest and had some Cheez-Its I had packed for a snack, so I decided not to get anything else.

Finally, DH went to get his sandwich and took awhile, so I was kind of annoyed when he came back because I wanted to make sure to take DS to the bathroom before we boarded but I couldn't leave all our stuff. We went to the restroom and of course there were only 3 stalls and a bit of a line ahead of us. Another family on our flight going to Disney World was in there, and I heard the husband yell from the doorway for them to hurry up, so I booked it out of there with DS! We got on with family boarding and took the last row.

0008 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Ready to go!

VIDEO: DS is ready to blast off!

DS was really good on the flight, and for the first time we didn't have to worry about his ears! He had gotten PE tubes put in last December, so no struggling to get him to drink juice during takeoff or him getting grouchy because his ears hurt. It was wonderful! Once we could use electronics, we put on the iPad with his new headphones, and he was good to go. (As an aside, ever since using the iPad with the headphones, now no sounds comes out unless the headphones are plugged in...any suggestions???).

0011 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

The flight was a bit bumpy, so I couldn't read my book on my Nook because it was making me feel a bit queasy, so I tried to nap instead while DH watched a movie. Thankfully it's a short flight, so having something to do is not a must.

We landed on time at 2:15, but it took us awhile to get off of the plane since we were in the last row. But I took that time to take DS to the restroom so we wouldn't have to do that first when we got off the plane and we could head straight to claim our bags instead.

0013 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
First monorail ride!

0014 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
DH on the elevator. Doesn't he look thrilled?​

We made it down to baggage claim just before the bags started coming out. I waited off to the side with DS while DH went to grab our suitcases.

0015 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Still happy, even with no nap on the plane!​

We were able to skip the counter for the rental cars and went right across the street to the lot once we had our luggage. One scary moment when I just happened to glance behind us and saw we had dropped DS's backpack out of the bottom of the stroller without even noticing! I mean, it was just his toys and stuff, but I still would have been upset. He loves his Lightning McQueen backpack!

Pretty soon, we picked our car, a gray Altima, loaded up our luggage, grabbed the driving directions, and left the airport. The drive was not long at all, but of course DS finally gave in to a nap on the last 5 minutes of the trip. Pretty soon we were passing this lovely sight!

0017 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

We arrived at our hotel for the night right around 3:30 pm. I stayed in the car so DS could sleep a little longer while DH went inside to check us in.

0020 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0021 by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

DS started to wake up just as DH came back, and he was a little groggy and cranky at first (who wouldn't be after a 10 minute doze when you're used to a 2 hour nap?). I thought he might go back to sleep once we got in the room, but he was raring to go! We were on the first floor, so we actually had to go down 2 floors because the lobby is on the 3rd. I put DS in the stroller and took him with one of the suitcases to the room while DH went to park the car and bring in the rest of the bags.

I took a few minutes to snap a few pictures of our room before we destroyed it by bringing in all of our stuff! We brought in all of our bags because we didn't want to leave them in the car, but we had packed one of our small carry on bags with everything we would need for the night and clothes for the next day, so we didn't have to dig around in our big suitcases for anything except for our toiletry bags.

0024 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0026 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0025 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0029 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0030 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

0034 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

If you look closely in the photo of our view, you can see Dr. Doom's Fear Fall at IoA through the trees! We freshened up a bit, and then we were ready to go exploring!

UP NEXT: Exploring the Royal Pacific Resort and dinner at CityWalk

Here!! And LOVE the title which I think is perfect!

Our DS has the exact same headphones down to the color. Hmmm, wish I could could come up with a bright idea for your ipad other than doing the good ol turning it off then on trick. :goodvibes That's as far as my tech knowledge goes. :rotfl:

I am here!!! When I went to NOLA one of our connecting flights was from MCO to New Orleans. I reallyyyy wanted to run to the Disney store there but we didn't have time.

The hotel is beautiful! I'm excited to hear about your experience at Universal!

OK here, you can start now!!! Oh wait... you did. :upsidedow

Not a bad travel day at all.

So cute how Pax was so into taking down the Mickey heads even AT Disney. :laughing: Perhaps that was just his way of making the trip longer. If you keep taking the heads down, the trip can't be over. Smart!! :thumbsup2

That is a beautiful Hotel. Can't wait to hear about Universal with front of the line!

I'm here!

Your DS is so adorable! What a cutie!

I can't wait to hear what you thought about Universal, we are going for the first time in awhile in December.

Subbing :) My Little Bug and I love reading your reports and looking at the pictures. She calls Paxton her Disney Friend. Can't wait!!!

I'm here, so excited that you've started your TR!

Wow your hotel looks so nice!! Can't wait to read/see more! :goodvibes

I'm joining in! I finally am starting at the beginning of one of your TRs! :) Great start!

I'm here! I'm here! SOOOOOO excited to hear all about your trip and Paxton's big birthday celebration! :goodvibes

Here!! And LOVE the title which I think is perfect!

Our DS has the exact same headphones down to the color. Hmmm, wish I could could come up with a bright idea for your ipad other than doing the good ol turning it off then on trick. :goodvibes That's as far as my tech knowledge goes. :rotfl:

I had a few ideas in mind for a title, but well, I'm sure you know why I chose that one! It was just too cute not to.

They were pretty good headphones, and they served their purpose aside from breaking my iPad. I have tried several different tricks mentioned online in help forums, but I might just have to bring it in to get looked at. :headache:

I am here!!! When I went to NOLA one of our connecting flights was from MCO to New Orleans. I reallyyyy wanted to run to the Disney store there but we didn't have time.

The hotel is beautiful! I'm excited to hear about your experience at Universal!

Happy to have you, Courtney! I feel your pain, we didn't have time to stop in the Disney store either. :( When we got there, I suggested we go look, but DH said we should do it before our flight home, and well, that's a whole 'nother story for why that didn't happen. :scared1:

We stayed at the Royal Pacific for our honeymoon, so when we decided to stay onsite at Universal for the unlimited Express Pass, it was the one that I just HAD to choose! It's gorgeous there, I only wish we could have stayed more than one night.

subbing, can't wait to read all about your trip!

:welcome: Happy to have you here!

OK here, you can start now!!! Oh wait... you did. :upsidedow

Not a bad travel day at all.

So cute how Pax was so into taking down the Mickey heads even AT Disney. :laughing: Perhaps that was just his way of making the trip longer. If you keep taking the heads down, the trip can't be over. Smart!! :thumbsup2

That is a beautiful Hotel. Can't wait to hear about Universal with front of the line!

:lmao: I knew I was waiting for something...:idea:

It was definitely one of the better travel days for us. :thumbsup2 I think having the later flight helped. Getting up super early on our travel day seems to just put DH and I on edge.

He is a pretty smart kid, so I wouldn't put it past him. :rotfl: He will randomly ask when we are going back to "our room" and today he asked me where our "black car" was several times before I could understand what he was asking until finally he got annoyed with me asking "What?" and just said, "We left it in Disney World!" Then I finally understood he was asking about our rental car. :rotfl2:

Following along! :goodvibes

Glad you see you again, wiigirl!

:welcome: Happy to have you!

I'm here!

Your DS is so adorable! What a cutie!

I can't wait to hear what you thought about Universal, we are going for the first time in awhile in December.

Aw thank you! He is cute, but he's a handful. :rotfl:

Spoiler Alert: We LOVED Universal! I can't wait to post all about our day! I just wish we could have had a little more time, but we were okay at that time of year with just one day.

Subbing :) My Little Bug and I love reading your reports and looking at the pictures. She calls Paxton her Disney Friend. Can't wait!!!

:welcome:

That is too adorable that Paxton is her Disney Friend! :rotfl: Love it!

I'm here, so excited that you've started your TR!

Wow your hotel looks so nice!! Can't wait to read/see more! :goodvibes

:welcome: I totally missed that you started your TR but I have it open in another tab ready to go!

The hotel was great. I just wish we had stayed longer than one night!

I'm joining in! I finally am starting at the beginning of one of your TRs! :) Great start!

:welcome: I have started your TR I don't know how many times, but I'm going to subscribe right now and I WILL get caught up!!

I'm here! I'm here! SOOOOOO excited to hear all about your trip and Paxton's big birthday celebration! :goodvibes

Yay, happy to see you Missy! I wish it had worked out for us to meet up while we were there. I also randomly got a text from you yesterday about the Princess meet at MNSSHP. :lmao: I guess maybe it didn't come through when you originally sent it, so I got it a week late! And I can't wait to read about your WEDDING!! The pics I have seen are beautiful, you made a gorgeous bride!!!

When there's a smile in your heart
There's no better time to start
Think of all the joy you'll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye
You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!
Great way to start a TR... pixiedust:

DS watches this movie pretty much every night before bed. And it is still my all time favorite Disney movie! :thumbsup2

He's an engineer working in the oil field juggling radioactive sources, a la Homer Simpson.
So... is this your way of saying he just shows up to work, leaves total chaos in his wake and eats donuts all day and naps on the job? :confused3 :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

And rounding out our family is DS!
Hey! You left out his favorite restaurant. Via Napoli, I assume?

I used to make fun of how much planning my mom did, and would get so embarrassed every time she whipped out her little notebook to take note of how much we enjoyed or didn't enjoy an attraction or meal. If only I had known then that I would end up being 10x worse!
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

But I totally understand what you mean.

(I had just listened to a podcast episode a couple days before about a guest whose son had appendicitis on their trip!)
I just listened to that one yesterday! Yeah, I'm a little bit behind on my podcasts. :lmao: I'm glad that this wasn't the problem you experienced. :crazy2:

While DH was gone, DS got a little silly.
Those pictures are great! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

We landed on time at 2:15, but it took us awhile to get off of the plane since we were in the last row. But I took that time to take DS to the restroom so we wouldn't have to do that first when we got off the plane and we could head straight to claim our bags instead.
Good plan! :thumbsup2

UP NEXT: Exploring the Royal Pacific Resort and dinner at CityWalk
Looking forward to seeing what you got to do at CityWalk and the Studios! I hope you can give me some good information to help sway me one way another for our trip. :rolleyes1

By the way, I downloaded the book, Ears of Steel, last week. There was a certain part of the book that made me think of you. The author went on a mini-rant about the Eat to the Beat concert series and the bands they have. A certain band got a little extra attention. :rolleyes1

I'm here! I enjoyed all your Instagram pictures while you were there, so obviously I'd enjoy seeing them again. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter