• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I totally agree with this take on the new tier pricing plan.

When it starts driving customers away in numbers that are significant enough to bottom line, this stuff will stop happening. Until then, I expect to keep seeing stuff periodically go. They don't want to make "plenty of money" they want to make as much money as possible. I don't like that they keep taking stuff away either, but I can't really blame them for doing it.

I understand your post, and don't disagree with most of it..but the bolded I do.

Disney is the one who put themselves out there as the gold standard in customer service. I absolutely blame them for no longer upholding the standard to which they wanted themselves held accountable.

There is a specter looming that would ask...
How long will guests even WANT to go to a theme park for entertainment?

Before you dismiss such a thought, consider how new generations are using digital technology to replace physical interaction and experiences.

As technology gets faster and more advanced, will riding a jerking attraction vehicle through
painted sets be a primary draw?

Did anyone see the (1983!!) film "Brainstorm?" (CLICK.)
Haunting images!

I see it as fairly normal for a corporation to put prices up in times of high demand and discount in times of low demand. It is basic economics. If enough people will still pay the prices then ?Disney are doing right by their shareholders which is a corporations first concern.

I see it as fairly normal for a corporation to put prices up in times of high demand and discount in times of low demand. It is basic economics. If enough people will still pay the prices then ?Disney are doing right by their shareholders which is a corporations first concern.

That is ONE of the concerns.
But, a company like Disney can only "do right" if they take care of their paying guests.

Blow that, and you're suddenly Kodak or Polaroid.

As technology gets faster and more advanced, will riding a jerking attraction vehicle through
painted sets be a primary draw?
I've pondered this concept a number of times while riding Snow White's Scary Adventures, and long dreamt of the day my local movie house added the 3-D technology of Philarmagic combined with the adaptable minor seat motion of Shrek.

What I concluded is that while many folks would turn away from the kind of bland options offered by the 3 major tv networks if more viewing options were offered, plenty of folks will continue to desire:

A.) a shared cultural experience
B.) traveling to someplace other than where we live

New doesn't always have to be 'actually better' to be refreshing.

I'm sure Disney could simply replace Snow White' s 2D scenes with very minor 3D dolls, a new song, and people would welcome the newness of the experience.

Heck, they would probably PAY to have more television channels, even if the new offers were low quality home movies and the random musings of ordinary folks.

That might be one of the concerns.
But, a company like Disney can only "do right" if they take care of their paying guests.

Blow that, and you're suddenly Kodak.

Kodak sold a product that time left behind.

I don't know of any major corporation that prioritises customers over shareholders. Losing shareholders would have a far more significant an immediate effect that losing customers. I think with disney people get caught up in the pixie dust and expect it to operate like a charity and not a business.

If people will continue to pay increased ticket prices (and so far the evidence says they will crowds are increasing) then ticket price increases are inevitable until the next recession.

A product is always worth the highest price people will pay for it. If people continue to pay it it is not overpriced.

Kodak sold a product that time left behind.

I don't know of any major corporation that prioritises customers over shareholders. Losing shareholders would have a far more significant an immediate effect that losing customers. I think with disney people get caught up in the pixie dust and expect it to operate like a charity and not a business.

If people will continue to pay increased ticket prices (and so far the evidence says they will crowds are increasing) then ticket price increases are inevitable until the next recession.

A product is always worth the highest price people will pay for it. If people continue to pay it it is not overpriced.
Won't speak for anyone else, but nope, I don't expect Disney to operate like a charity. not at all. They had 1 *billion* dollars in income, in just *one* fiscal quarter this year. I don't think it's treating them like a charity to be upset that they're making so many small cuts that are likely not a big hit in their bottom line overall (how much do they really save by cutting the fairy godmother?), but are a very big hit on the customer experience.

I'm voting with my wallet on this one I don't mind the prince increasing I mind the prince increasing plus closing of attractions without opening new ones even all the stuff that has recently opened has been mediocre at best. We just got Ap's to sea world and I'm pleasantly surprised how much we have enjoyed it. We skip the whale show and I'm hoping at some point SW moves away from that but we are really loving the rest of the park and aquatica.

Loyalty is fragile thing.

Not that fragile people have very short memories. How quickly have people gone back to the banks that caused the crash in 2008. And how many are now back buying the same CDO offerings that caused the 2008 crash and it wasn't even a generation ago.

Sure some people will stop going for a while, others will come Disney have a captive audience of new families who generally spend more than long time visitors. There will be a new recession probably very soon if all the indicators are correct and prices will crash, then a new recovery and they will climb. This is capitalism.

Won't speak for anyone else, but nope, I don't expect Disney to operate like a charity. not at all. They had 1 *billion* dollars in income, in just *one* fiscal quarter this year. I don't think it's treating them like a charity to be upset that they're making so many small cuts that are likely not a big hit in their bottom line overall (how much do they really save by cutting the fairy godmother?), but are a very big hit on the customer experience.

You don't think they've done research to see where to make cuts and likely determined that the Fairy Godmother or whoever else wasn't really a big draw and those types of cuts make sense? I realize some of these characters are precious to the people on these boards, but perhaps to the average visitor, it doesn't matter if they can't meet Fairy Godmother. I'm not saying if I agree or don't agree with the cuts as I'm not privy to their finances or business plan.

Things are being taken away, but in my opinion I'm getting a lot more new stuff I'm excited about:
Disney Springs and all the new restaurants and bars.
Pandora
Animal Kingdom at night with a new show.
Toy Story Land
Star Wars Land.
New Star Wars themed shows at DHS.

Now I do wish the resort prices were lower and please, for the love of god, take care of Future World!

Meeting an old woman pretending to be Cinderella' s Fairy Godmother means nothing to me. I want new thrill rides and updated attractions.

I'd be interested to see how this effects 2 things
1) the value resorts, if you're going to price people out, I'd think those would be people who stay at the values, since those are the cheapest way to stay on site.
2) How will this effect the "bounce back" are people who came, saw and paid the higher prices, going to be disappointed in Disney's cutbacks? Anyone who is going for their "once in a lifetime" is not going to be impressed w/ the lack of things offered at HWS the next year (or 3) while Disney remakes the park.

You don't think they've done research to see where to make cuts and likely determined that the Fairy Godmother or whoever else wasn't really a big draw and those types of cuts make sense? I realize some of these characters are precious to the people on these boards, but perhaps to the average visitor, it doesn't matter if they can't meet Fairy Godmother. I'm not saying if I agree or don't agree with the cuts as I'm not privy to their finances or business plan.

Did I say I didn't think they've done research? No. I'm sure they have. Do I think that their research means that the characters they've cut weren't popular? No. And my point was beyond the characters..my point was that they're cutting lots of little things, characters being just one of them, that impact guest experience more than the cut likely impacts their bottom line. Do I know that for a fact? no. It's just my opinion, and that's all I've said it is.

Things are being taken away, but in my opinion I'm getting a lot more new stuff I'm excited about:
Disney Springs and all the new restaurants and bars.
Pandora
Animal Kingdom at night with a new show.
Toy Story Land
Star Wars Land.
New Star Wars themed shows at DHS.

Now I do wish the resort prices were lower and please, for the love of god, take care of Future World!

All of these things (excepting Disney Springs), are still years away. My excitement for them doesn't diminish my disappointment in the cuts they are currently making, as knowing that those things are coming in the future doesn't do anything for the current experience. How WDW has approached these cuts pushes my family more and more towards DLR where, even though there are still cuts happening and closures due to construction, they are also *adding* experiences to offset the impact to the guest. The fact that DLR and WDW are handling the same situation in such opposite ways tells me that it isn't just a "we have to do it this way" on WDW's part. They're choosing to, but there are other options, and DLR seems to be availing themselves of those options where WDW isn't.

Did I say I didn't think they've done research? No. I'm sure they have. Do I think that their research means that the characters they've cut weren't popular? No. And my point was beyond the characters..my point was that they're cutting lots of little things, characters being just one of them, that impact guest experience more than the cut likely impacts their bottom line. Do I know that for a fact? no. It's just my opinion, and that's all I've said it is.

All of these things (excepting Disney Springs), are still years away. My excitement for them doesn't diminish my disappointment in the cuts they are currently making, as knowing that those things are coming in the future doesn't do anything for the current experience. How WDW has approached these cuts pushes my family more and more towards DLR where, even though there are still cuts happening and closures due to construction, they are also *adding* experiences to offset the impact to the guest. The fact that DLR and WDW are handling the same situation in such opposite ways tells me that it isn't just a "we have to do it this way" on WDW's part. They're choosing to, but there are other options, and DLR seems to be availing themselves of those options where WDW isn't.

The only two things that are "years away" are Toy Story and Star Wars Land. Everything else is happening this year and next.
Sadly for you and others on here it seems Disney thinks there are more guests like myself who just really aren't upset about less characters and are excited about all the new stuff. Is it all here right now? No, so I solve that problem by not going until the new things are available.
Dollywood here we come! And I have to admit, it is nice to really just be booking the hotel, buying the tickets and just showing up for this trip!:duck:

And I'm not a cheerleader for Disney. I think they are crazy expensive, I am just offering the other side of the story -the people who aren't upset over what's going on at the moment. :)

Last edited:
Why do people always ask "what would Walt think?" Why don't we also ask "what would Roy think?" Its necessary to weigh both sides (creative and fiscal) in this discussion.

They're making plenty of money. Their parks and resorts had 1 billion dollars in operating income., just in quarter 1 on FY 2016! All the cuts and price increases that they are doing, in the face of such (in their . words) record breaking income is what makes it all difficult to swallow.

I have no problems with a business being a business and wanting to make money. I have a problem with them when they start to take advantage of their customer base in order to do it. Offering less and less and less, while charging more and more and more...it's going to drive customers away. And that may not affect them now, or even in the next 5-10 years, but I think it's shortsighted for them to think it won't affect them long-term.

And how much did Disney have in operating expenses? Operating income is only one measure of many and stated on its own it has no meaning.

And how much did Disney have in operating expenses? Operating income is only one measure of many and stated on its own it has no meaning.
And from what I have read their profits represented a 7% ROI which for most major corporations is very low and well below what most would invest at.

From Forbes:

On a full-year basis, Disney recorded $52.5 billion in revenue, a 7% increase over revenue recorded in 2014. Full-year net income jumped 12% to $8.4 billion, resulting in earnings of $4.90 per share. Excluding special items, the Mickey Mouse company recorded $5.15 in full-year earnings per share, a figure that marks a 19% increase over 2014’s earnings.

“In fiscal 2015 we delivered the highest revenue, net income and adjusted EPS in the Company’s history, reflecting the power of our great brands and franchises, the quality of our creative content, and our relentless innovation to maximize value from emerging technologies.”

Their full year NET income (so profit) jumped 12% in FY 2015.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter