I took the plunge

Bridge203618

Mouseketeer
Back in March I got a room only 30% off discount at POP. I was pretty happy with it. Then everyone and their brother, but not me, kept getting FQSD pins that I wanted so bad. The thought of using the dining plan really intrigued me but I figured if I had to pay for it I could get food for less. But I tried and tried to get that pin and waited and waited. It never came :( But the more I read about the DDP the more I wanted it. Yes I COULD spend less if I just watched what we ate but the DDP gave me freedom. A freedom my family isn't used to. No watching what we ordered (for the most part)! So I decided it was a extra expense worth paying for just to have a different kind of vacation. One where we ate at nice places without looking at the price :)

So last night I made the plunge, called up Disney, changed my room only to a package, kept my 30% even though it expired. I did add 1 day tickets that I actually don't need (YET). I will upgrade my DD to a 6 day and keep the other 3 for a future trip.

:confused: You bought tickets that you don't need so you could pay for a dining plan that you didn't want to pay for...and you are happy about this because you don't have to watch what you spend at restaurants? Are you sure that makes good financial sense?

Once you factor in the cost of the extra tickets, it would seem that you could use those same dollars to eat where you wanted and still save some $$. I would try to remember that you were happy about the 30% back in March...

They are tickets I don't need right now. I will use them, just not yet.

My husband and I spent weeks trying to decide which route to go. We decided that the freedom was worth the extra cost. It is a different kind of vacation for us, one that we aren't use to. It will be nice not to worry about the food once we get there. For the most part it is paid for. Could i have gone cheaper, yes, but we can make the most out of our vacation this way.

Sorry if you don't agree but for us it made the most sense.

:thumbsup2 That makes sense to me. Enjoy your trip. And, it is nice to have those tickets hanging around...urging you to plan your next trip!! :goodvibes

They are tickets I don't need right now. I will use them, just not yet.

My husband and I spent weeks trying to decide which route to go. We decided that the freedom was worth the extra cost. It is a different kind of vacation for us, one that we aren't use to. It will be nice not to worry about the food once we get there. For the most part it is paid for. Could i have gone cheaper, yes, but we can make the most out of our vacation this way.

Sorry if you don't agree but for us it made the most sense.

This is exactly why we do the dining plans. It is nice to know ahead of time what the food budget will be and for some reason, it just seems cheaper to have things paid for ahead of time.

We are DVC so we currently pay at check in but use our Disney Reward Dollars which makes it even better!!!

I agree with you 100%. I am by nature a frugal (cheap) person and whenever I go to restaurants I always worry about ordering the least expensive item or whether I want to pay for dessert etc. To me the DP is worth it for the freedom it provides people like us.

I agree with you 100%. I am by nature a frugal (cheap) person and whenever I go to restaurants I always worry about ordering the least expensive item or whether I want to pay for dessert etc. To me the DP is worth it for the freedom it provides people like us.

Yes thats me for sure! I think my family will enjoy the freedom and just have that much more of a magical vacation!!! Less stress for me wondering if I budgeted right or if the steak i want to order will screw it up!!! :cool1:

I am a frugal "coupon queen" for lack of a better word. I choose my purchases very carefully and respect our hard earned money. We have used the DDP 5 years in a row. This year we are going OOP with a 40% discount and no DDP. We are booked at Le Cellier, Ohana and few others. We will not deprive ourselves. What we will get is 3 meals a day rather than the 2 on the dining plan if we choose. We always had to pay for a 3rd meal OOP anyway. We don't eat dessert with every meal in real life and don't feel deprived for not doing so. We will buy dessert when we like and funnel cakes, dole whips and snacks. However, the amount of filler items per day on the dining plan could have been a 3rd meal. The bottom line is that we always end up paying several hundred dollars OOP even with DDP because it just is not a well balanced option for eating. This is just our experience and may not be the way everyone else eats. If I thought it would be stressful not to have the plan, I would buy it. I have 5 years of experience that says that we will be fine OOP and enjoy all of the goodies Disney has to offer on our terms.

Have a wonderful trip! Disney is the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter