I think i'm through with disney!!!

If you purchase Annual Passes every year and are planning to purchase them next year, you can purchase the tickets required in order to book the dining plan with the AAA discount and then put the value of those tickets toward your Annual Passes next year.

It would be too bad that you have to put more money out up front but it does even out in the end.

Harry potter ride sucked. SERIOUSLY! My DH wanted to do something 'different' so I tacked on a few days outside of Disney. I was soooo happy to get to Disney. I did not like Universal. The world of Harry Potter was neat to look at, but it's just a small section of one of the parks.

Yeah, it sounds like maybe you shouldn't renew your AP and maybe you don't want to do Disney for a while. But I find that I like going back to Disney time and again. I've been to 30 countries & 50 states in our great country and my favorite vacation spot is Disney...

Harry potter ride sucked. SERIOUSLY! My DH wanted to do something 'different' so I tacked on a few days outside of Disney. I was soooo happy to get to Disney. I did not like Universal. The world of Harry Potter was neat to look at, but it's just a small section of one of the parks.

So sorry you disliked it! FJ made me ill (but I wasn't 100% to begin with), but it was still stunning and super-cool. There are of course two other rides inside of Wizarding World.

And WE found the rest of Universal to be *incredible*. So beautiful, immensely themed (and I'm not normally one to require theming), really fun rides...we LOVED it.

If Universal ever creates their own timeshare like DVC, we'll sell DVC and buy into the Universal one (assuming you still get the onsite perks), we liked it just that much. :)

We got APs for WDW in order to come back twice inside of one year and not pay for another set of tickets. And that's it. Period end of story.

Anything else we get from APs is extra. You might find yourself liking the idea of WDW better if you look at your APs like that. So *this* time you can't get the AP discount and therefore can't get the AP dining pseudo-package. It probably won't always be like that. Because you can't get the thing you want, you looked to other packages, and those packages have their own requirements.

Look into what norestneeded said...it's a good idea!

I'll second the Tables in Wonderland card suggestion. You can use that at all table service restaurants, plus any resort with a food court and NO ts restaurant. We have looked at the Dining Plan and even when we planned to eat out every day, over the Christmas trip, we still came out ahead using the TIW card discount. The TIW covers apps, alcohol, anything on the menu.

I'm sure the TIW card is good at Pop.

As FORMER AP holders, I totally agree with your complaint about discount rates and timing. We became the step-child, getting the dregs after everyone else got their pick of the rooms. Because of the timing and amount of AP discounts lately, we did not renew in June and cancelled our November trip. We do plan to get a new one next year because we hope to get 3 trips, possibly 4 out of it so it's a good financial decision, even without room discounts.

I'll second the Tables in Wonderland card suggestion. You can use that at all table service restaurants, plus any resort with a food court and NO ts restaurant. We have looked at the Dining Plan and even when we planned to eat out every day, over the Christmas trip, we still came out ahead using the TIW card discount. The TIW covers apps, alcohol, anything on the menu.

I'm sure the TIW card is good at Pop.
I agree with TiW too. It works much better for us than DDP-especially in the heat of the summer-I can order and eat exactly what I want not what the DDP dictates.

TiW is good at Pop food court.:thumbsup2

As FORMER AP holders, I totally agree with your complaint about discount rates and timing. We became the step-child, getting the dregs after everyone else got their pick of the rooms. Because of the timing and amount of AP discounts lately, we did not renew in June and cancelled our November trip. We do plan to get a new one next year because we hope to get 3 trips, possibly 4 out of it so it's a good financial decision, even without room discounts.
I think AP rates have always been released late since I've started using an AP in 2005. I usually book with AAA room discount first, change to general public and change to AP if better.

Did you look at the Aug-Sept room code Disney has under Special Offers? I only ask because we too are AAA members and the Disney discount in this case was better than the AAA price although that really doesn't help with the dining part.

Did you look at the Aug-Sept room code Disney has under Special Offers? I only ask because we too are AAA members and the Disney discount in this case was better than the AAA price although that really doesn't help with the dining part.

I"ve looked at everything. The problem is adding DDP with the AP. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I have to do it quick. I leave in 3 weeks lol!

In your OP, you said that you can't get the AP rate at your first-choice resort - Pop, I'm guessing. Did you check on other resorts? What about one of the All-Stars? We've stayed at Pop and All-Star Sports and they were essentially identical to me. Same size rooms, we had decent transportation at both (we never once shared a bus with another All-Star resort), food courts were comparable. Pop does seem to be the most popular Value resort and I'm not surprised that all the AP discounts are gone 3 weeks in advance. What about moving up to a Moderate?

Yeah, it sounds like maybe you shouldn't renew your AP and maybe you don't want to do Disney for a while. But I find that I like going back to Disney time and again. I've been to 30 countries & 50 states in our great country and my favorite vacation spot is Disney...

Sorry you thought Universal "sucked" . We loved everything at Universal. Op if your looking to try something new I would give Universal a try.

In your OP, you said that you can't get the AP rate at your first-choice resort - Pop, I'm guessing. Did you check on other resorts? What about one of the All-Stars? We've stayed at Pop and All-Star Sports and they were essentially identical to me. Same size rooms, we had decent transportation at both (we never once shared a bus with another All-Star resort), food courts were comparable. Pop does seem to be the most popular Value resort and I'm not surprised that all the AP discounts are gone 3 weeks in advance. What about moving up to a Moderate?

We actually just booked Pop with a discount for the girls and we bought a useless park ticket for ourselves. I priced the moderates, but two rooms was too much, we are treating for this trip. In the past we've done that, but with the kids contributing.

As for my resort preference, I've stayed at Movies and Music also, and I like Movies. The thing about POP is its nice because its on a lake, it has hair dryers in the rooms, and of course its newer.

I doubt I'll ever get another AP again after this, but now that my resort is booked, I'm over my anger and excited for my vacation. I even work my Mickey earrings to work today!

We actually just booked Pop with a discount for the girls and we bought a useless park ticket for ourselves. I priced the moderates, but two rooms was too much, we are treating for this trip. In the past we've done that, but with the kids contributing.

As for my resort preference, I've stayed at Movies and Music also, and I like Movies. The thing about POP is its nice because its on a lake, it has hair dryers in the rooms, and of course its newer.

I doubt I'll ever get another AP again after this, but now that my resort is booked, I'm over my anger and excited for my vacation. I even work my Mickey earrings to work today!

Glad you got it sorted out! Hope you have a terrific vacation! :thumbsup2

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction. I was afraid you'd have to change your siggie!:rotfl: I hope you have a wonderful and magical trip!:dance3:

So my husband and I are APHs. We have jobs that make it very difficult to schedule a week off. So we were able to get an entire week at the end of Aug and have already booked our airfare. The resort we would like to stay in does not have any passholder rooms available, thats fine. So we went to AAA. We can get a great deal on 2 rooms at Pop the week we want, through AAA. But in order to get the DDP we need to book park tickets!!!!! We are PASSHOLDERS!! They will allow us to book a room at Pop for full-price as passholders and purchase DDP without purchasing park tickets.

So the Happiest Place on Earth, known for it's customer service, is penalizing us for being passholders. We are not permitted to use an AAA discount and purchase a DDP, unless we by park tickets! But if we didn't have an AP we could. It's irrational.

Anybody have any other places in the Orlando area they could suggest? At this point I'm through with Disney. Hows the Harry Potter ride?

Sorry, Didn't read all the replies and you may have already said this but can't you just stay somewhere else with an AP discount? I don't think you are being penalized for being AP holders as you didn't book an AP room. There are so may rooms available at each hotel for AP holders. If you have your heart set on staying at Pop, I would just pay full price.

Sorry, Didn't read all the replies and you may have already said this but can't you just stay somewhere else with an AP discount? I don't think you are being penalized for being AP holders as you didn't book an AP room. There are so may rooms available at each hotel for AP holders. If you have your heart set on staying at Pop, I would just pay full price.

The point is, I'm also an AAA member. I didn't mind that I couldn't use my AP discount because there were no more rooms. My complaint was, and still is, that there is an AAA discount available. I could not use it and get the DDP because in order to do so, I'd have to purchase a one day park pass. Which is ridiculous since I have an AP. This is what I ultimately did. I still see it as being penalized. If I didn't have the AP I could have purchased my DDP with the discounted room. Becasue I have the pass I can't get the room discount with dining, without the pass I can.

The point is, I'm also an AAA member. I didn't mind that I couldn't use my AP discount because there were no more rooms. My complaint was, and still is, that there is an AAA discount available. I could not use it and get the DDP because in order to do so, I'd have to purchase a one day park pass. Which is ridiculous since I have an AP. This is what I ultimately did. I still see it as being penalized. If I didn't have the AP I could have purchased my DDP with the discounted room. Becasue I have the pass I can't get the room discount with dining, without the pass I can.

Kind of like the DVC reservations and cash reservations. Two separate things. There are an allotted number of AAA discouted rooms and an alloted number of AP rooms. The policy has always been that unless you have an AP room or are staying DVC you have to purchase at least a one day park ticket because you have to purchase a package in order to get the dining. I think if I had an AP, and wanted to purchase the dining plan I would ask what resorts had availability for the AP discount and go from there.

I am glad you got everything worked out in the end and hope you have a great vacation! Maybe they will end up releasing more free dining dates, in that case you will be glad you don't have an AP room only rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter