• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I said "forget codes"-- just rented DVC points

ccgegg

I'm watching you Wazowski... aaalways watchin
We're going in mid-Dec and I figure no AP code will top $164 per night for a 1br villa at BWV (std view). So I rented points from a DVC owner. Cancellation policy isn't as good (60 days) and we're staying Sun-Thu nights (Fri and Sat nights kill you with DVC pts), but these dates fit our needs perfectly. If you're looking to stay at a DVC resort, you should consider this.

How did you do this (was there someone in particular you went through?)

Thanks for the info! :flower:

Just go to the DVC Rent/Trade Board here on the DIS and you'll find lots of people selling and needing points. DISboards even has some info posted so you understand the process.... http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/renttrade-faq.htm

It's only April and I'm already confirmed in a 1br at BWV for December 11. And we already have park passes from our last trip. Just need air.

Good luck!

We rented DVC points for a 1 bdrm villa boardwalk view! You've got to love the price for such a nice place! I think it is the best way to go if you like to have a kitchen and the DVC resorts are so very nice. Waiting around for codes makes it hard to budget. I refuse to pay rack rate.

I leave in two weeks and rented DVC points for a Studio at BWV for May 15th-20th. Due to high weekend points, I'll be spending Fri and Sat nights at POP, then go to BWV for five nights, then back to POP for the last two nights (again Fri and Sat). I can't wait!

Alot of renters won't have a refund policy though, so you need to be very sure of your dates. Also the renter controls the ressie up until you check in, so some risk could be involved. If they cancelled there is nothing you can do. Make sure you deal with someone you feel you can trust. Of course there is some risk for them also, as you could cancel and they'd be stuck either trying to rent the ressie at the last minute or else putting the points into holding. Or you could be one of those persons who is constantly calling them to have them make requests/changes causing them to spend alot of time on the phone with member services, which would be very rude. Overall I think it's a good deal for all involved though and would like to do it again when I go back in late Sept/early Oct and again in the second week of Dec.

aubriee said:
Overall I think it's a good deal for all involved though and would like to do it again when I go back in late Sept/early Oct and again in the second week of Dec.

FYI.... Based on what I've read, early-mid December is a very busy time for DVC'ers. That's why I wanted to get my ressie for BWV so early (not going til Dec 11th). Someone told me it's best to secure it before the 7-month window opens up, which is when DVC owners can book at resorts other than their "home".

Just a note about renting DVC points, is that you may want to consider getting maid service during your stay. DW and I rented at the OKW in Dec 2003, and it is not a real big deal, but after running the parks all day and we didn't want to come back to a room that we needed to clean. The beds were not made at all, the towels are replaced once every 4 days, and you need to dispose of your own garbage. I think this is the part of the Home Away from Home feel of the DVC, where you still have to worry about the little things in life.

Prices for Maid Service are as follows:
$25 for studio, $30 for 1 bedroom, $40 for 2 bedroom and $60 for Grand Villa per day.
I have never had the maid service, but I believe it just needs to be request at check-in.

renting points is great if it works out. the draw back is that if you have to cancel your trip on short notice - you'll just be out that money, but the savings is HUGH - way better than any discount code.

Some people draw up simple contracts and sign between renter/ rentee and it's always good to ask for references too.

for a short trip (4 days or so) maid service really isn't necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter