I quit my job to keep our cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

starview

Canadian Cruiser
I had just gotten back to work after a medical leave for a knee replacement & put in my vacation request for our B2B Wonder Cruise on December 6. My DH & I were looking forward to being able to relax after a stressful recovery. In my department we have never had issues with short notice vacation booking & I wasn't able to book while on medical leave. My boss decided he would not approve the vacation after me just getting back to work & said we were too busy for me to leave. I tried to tell him the cruise was paid in full & now non-refundable but he wouldn't budge even when I said I would resign rather than give up the cruise. I couldn't understand the logic of him rather I resign & lose me permanently or lose me for a week's vacation.

I've had some major anxiety over the decision, but I knew if I was forced to forgo my cruise I would never be able to fully enjoy my job again.

I'm hoping I find something soon after getting back & am very hopeful because I have 20 years of customer service/sales.

I know we'll have a great time & it will be worth the sacrifice but I'd appreciate some pixie dust from you great people on the board.

Thank you.

Sending some Pixie Dust your way :wizard: I understand taking that road. I've always said I'd quit my job before I'm ever made to work on Christmas Day! And I did too! I'm back to working at that place now (a retirement home), after a 6 year absence (they asked me to come back last January), the first thing I told my supervisor was "I have a two week Holiday booked for Oct/Nov. and I still won't work Christmas!" We'll see what happens this Christmas.
Anyway, best wishes and pixie dust to you. Have a relaxing Cruise, and a succesful job search when you return!

I had just gotten back to work after a medical leave for a knee replacement & put in my vacation request for our B2B Wonder Cruise on December 6. My DH & I were looking forward to being able to relax after a stressful recovery. In my department we have never had issues with short notice vacation booking & I wasn't able to book while on medical leave. My boss decided he would not approve the vacation after me just getting back to work & said we were too busy for me to leave. I tried to tell him the cruise was paid in full & now non-refundable but he wouldn't budge even when I said I would resign rather than give up the cruise. I couldn't understand the logic of him rather I resign & lose me permanently or lose me for a week's vacation.

I've had some major anxiety over the decision, but I knew if I was forced to forgo my cruise I would never be able to fully enjoy my job again.

I'm hoping I find something soon after getting back & am very hopeful because I have 20 years of customer service/sales.

I know we'll have a great time & it will be worth the sacrifice but I'd appreciate some pixie dust from you great people on the board.

Thank you.

Good for you. I have been in the same situation ,do not look back but look for a better job they are out there:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Good for you.

I came so close to booking the last Panama Canal Cruise, but it most likely would have requiered me to quit my job and I decided not too, and I have regretted it since.

Things always work out for the best.

Hi Karen,

Good for you! You will find something much better with a company that will treat you better! Enjoy your cruise and I'm still sorry you didn't join our FE exchange! :) I do hope you will join our "meet" in the Promenade lounge though.

Pam

Hope the job market is better by you. Around here if you quit you have three issues. You don’t have a job. There are no jobs to go after. You get no unemployment insurance.

What kind of service job do you do? retail or otherwise.

If you work retail you may find it difficult to find another job after the Christmas season is over.

pixiedust: Pixie dust to you, and bravo for having the guts to stand your ground. Hopefully in Canada the job situation is better than in the U.S., but in any case I think you did the right thing. Otherwise you would resent your job and would always regret not respecting yourself enough to carry out your plans.

"The things we regret most in life are the things we did not do."

IMHO, this was a very irresponsible, selfish thing to do.

So, you've been out of work for what, 8? 10? weeks or so on medical leave? Who was covering for you at work? Were they able to take vacation while you were out? Were they going nuts covering not only their workload but yours as well?

And now you're finally recuperated enough to be able to go back to work and relieve some of the stress caused by your absence. Oh, wait, you need a vacation to relax from your ordeal. What relaxation do your co-workers get?

From your post, I am led to believe that you booked your cruise while you were out on medical leave. Your boss was completely in the right to deny your vacation request. He/she would have had a coup on his/her hands with your co-workers aggravated that you're receiving some sort of special attention. Before booking and paying for your cruise, you should have found out if it was possible and/or ok for you to take even more time off from your job. Personal responsibility.

The only way that I could see myself on your side is if you had the cruise booked and paid for; your vacation time off already approved; and WHAM! something suddenly happened to your knee necessitating an unexpected replacement.

I'm not even going to go into length about the current economy and unemployment rate.

So, you've been out of work for what, 8? 10? weeks or so on medical leave? Who was covering for you at work? Were they able to take vacation while you were out? Were they going nuts covering not only their workload but yours as well?

And now you're finally recuperated enough to be able to go back to work and relieve some of the stress caused by your absence. Oh, wait, you need a vacation to relax from your ordeal. What relaxation do your co-workers get?

From your post, I am led to believe that you booked your cruise while you were out on medical leave. Your boss was completely in the right to deny your vacation request. He/she would have had a coup on his/her hands with your co-workers aggravated that you're receiving some sort of special attention. Before booking and paying for your cruise, you should have found out if it was possible and/or ok for you to take even more time off from your job. Personal responsibility.

The only way that I could see myself on your side is if you had the cruise booked and paid for; your vacation time off already approved; and WHAM! something suddenly happened to your knee necessitating an unexpected replacement.

I'm not even going to go into length about the current economy and unemployment rate.

What she said. Sorry, I could never do that.

My words exactly!!! This was not right what you did. You should have had your vacation approved prior to booking your B2B.

Pixie dust that everything goes right with your job and with your cruise and good luck in finding a new job.

I'm so sorry you were forced into that decision. Enjoy your cruise and here's some pixie dust pixiedust: to help you with your new job search.

Please remember that there is to be no snarky remarks or sarcasm or putting others down on these boards. OP asked for Pixie Dust, not a debate on whether she did or did not do the right thing. No one knows the internal workings of her particular job environment.

Thank you.

MJ

I have to agree with Mary on this one. After being out of the office for so long, it is not very considerate of your coworkers who have been taking care of your job responsibilities in your absence. More than likely, they were looking forward to you coming back to help relieve the stress that your absence had caused for them. December 6 is also only two weeks away. Although you could not formally put in a request during your leave, a conversation with your supervisor when you were in the planning stages would have been appropriate. That would have given you a sense whether or not the time off would be granted and also give him the opportunity to plan for scheduling. It was not fair or respectful to catch him completely off-guard with a short-notice request for time off. As a supervisor, I would have done the exact same thing. They have been picking up extra work during the time of your leave, so a couple more weeks to do so while finding your replacement will not be so difficult.

I couldn't understand the logic of him rather I resign & lose me permanently or lose me for a week's vacation.

I guess it depends on who needs who the most. If you don't need the income then you don't really need that job, and you don't care if you have it. If you are going to be really hard to replace then he probably needs you more.

I have a friend who has years of computer experience, but was working retail to get some experience before she opened her own business. She was setting up the computer in addition to her retail tasks for just minimum wage.

Months ahead of time she requested time off for a visit from her parents. When she got turned down she just laughed and quit. She did not need the money and at that time could easily get another retail job.

But if your employer can easily replace you, I can see why he'd just as soon you'd leave as to risk alienating other employees.

Thank you.
:cool1: YOU-GO-GIRL, :thumbsup2 Life is good , meant 2-B enjoyed. Your x-boss needs bossing-101 or maybe a cruise. :lmao: :cool1:

Previous posters, perhaps in your own situation, this kind of thing would look irresponsable. However the OP perhaps is in a different situation, One in which this trip is not just a vacation, but something very much needed. We only live once. In otherwords, if you have not walked in her shoes, it's difficult to understand.
Perhaps if she totally relied on this job as a main source of income, then it would be irresponsable. But I don't think thats the case.
I too as mentioned, quit a job over a similar yet different issue. And though I'm back there again, I'd do the same thing again. My family comes first and foremost, job comes second for me. But we don't rely on my income. I work only to keep my foot in the door, but have no hesitation about quitting it if the hours I work end up making my family come 2nd.
Yes, I think the state of the economy is different here in Canada than in the U.S. The OP made this decision, and whatever the consequences, it sounds like she's prepared to deal with.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter