I punched a Man at Disney, Kinda Funny Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see how the Texas laws have anything to do with the situation in the OP

It doesn't, I brought it up because I could not understand why we are all seeing this situation so differently :

But I live in Texas, and here we can shoot someone who is trying to steal from our home/trespassing, so a woman punching a guy who just caused injury to a child doesn't seem so steep to me. Maybe it's a regional thing. Not trying to cause a political debate, but just trying to point out why we might be seeing this all a little differently from each other.

And then you asked me more specifically about the laws here :

And because I'm confused, I have to ask: In Texas, if you track down the person who trespassed after they have left your property, can you still shoot them? Is it still considered defense if you do that?

And I answered you with an example of what you asked about. Did not mean to compare the two, really other than answering your question.

Kind of far fetched, but you asked. Just looking at different attitudes towards when it is justified to use force to "defend" (we see this differently, obviously) ourselves or our children.

This incident happened 2+ years ago. DH brought it up today, I started thinking about how if something like that happened on our upcoming trip, how I would respond, differently of course, and thought I'd share my story as I do think its silly now, Thats all. I still can't believe I did something like that. I see this thread is turning into a whole different story. I would hope that all Mothers/Parents protect and defend their children in a responsible way. Perhaps even learn from my story, or whatever. I never thought I'd punch a stranger, yet alone at Disney. Would I do it again?, Maybe! LOL!

Absolutely.

But that's not what you described. No defense, no protection.

You tracked down a rude stranger and assulted him, in the heat of the moment.

His actions were carelss. Your actions were criminal.

It doesn't, I brought it up because I could not understand why we are all seeing this situation so differently :

And then you asked me more specifically about the laws here :

And I answered you with an example of what you asked about. Did not mean to compare the two, really other than answering your question.

Kind of far fetched, but you asked. Just looking at different attitudes towards when it is justified to use force to "defend" (we see this differently, obviously) ourselves or our children.

Got it. I thought when you initially mentioned it that you were drawing more of a comparison, while trying to explain why you felt she was defending the child. I understand now. I'm sick and I guess my brain is more sluggish than I thought. Maybe that's my cue to stop posting for the night! :lmao: Sorry for the misunderstanding.:flower3:

I'm curious how your DH felt about what you did and if any of your children witnessed your behavior? With our words and actions it is usually best to teach children that even tho we can't control everything that happens to us, we can certainly control how we react to it.

Wow people! Give the OP a break! As she said, her motherly instinct kicked in. While I don't agree with what she did, she was reacting to her child being hurt. The man could have at least stopped to say he was sorry and see how the little girl was and the OP could have approached him without being physical.

you call decking a guy in the back motherly instinct? My motherly instinct tells me my child comes first, and I would be throwing all my attention into comforting my child, not throwing punches.

OP, what you did is shameful. :sad2: And I find it disturbing that you actually think what you did is funny, and that others would, too.

Got it. I thought when you initially mentioned it that you were drawing more of a comparison, while trying to explain why you felt she was defending the child. I understand now. I'm sick and I guess my brain is more sluggish than I thought. Maybe that's my cue to stop posting for the night! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem. I know it seems silly to even compare the two, but I was just curious why so many people who have such a similar interest (Disney) can react so strongly and differently to the incident the OP described. No harm, didn't want you to think I was trying to make it worse bringing guns in to it. Probably should not have even brought that up myself. Sorry! :hippie:

Wow, I need to stop reading these posts. I am trying to stop responding myself, but I can't, I just disagree so much with those who are all over the OP. I just don't agree, and I'll leave it at that.

I don't at all condone what the OP did, but I can't even believe my eyes that some on this thread are going the total opposite and defending this man in order to make the OP see the error of her ways, suggesting that "Oh, stuff like that happens at Disney, people bump into each other." BS.

Like I said, I don't think I would have punched the guy, but I know at the very least I would have screamed at him "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING YOU FRIGGING MORON", and I HOPE for the sake of all the little ones in earshot that I would have kept it that clean. Sorry, there's no excuse for knocking a little girl to her knees, even if you are in an emergency, let alone to get a spot for the parade!!!

I totally agree. I have no idea how I would have reacted in the situation but OMG why don't we run her off the board for losing her temper and doing something that was "criminal":rolleyes: Is physically harming a child okay even if accidental? I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I find it a bit HORRIBLE but I can't believe how mean people are being. Has no one here ever lost their temper? Done something before thinking about it? Even in front of their kids? If not I want to know how because I don't know about you, but I'm human and make mistakes.

I don't think what she did was right but if someone knocked my child down I would see red as well! And to the person who said if the child was that "unstable" OMGosh, REALLY? That is completely crazy! I had no idea my children were not allowed to walk at Disney until they can withstand the force of a full grown man pushing them to the ground. Seriously!

OMGosh, could we all just CHILL a little? Can you not see that the OP's kid got hurt, she lost her cool and overreacted, and let it go? Maybe she finds this humorous because she ISN'T normally a violent person and can't believe she reacted that way. Would this be the way I would choose to behave, in a similar situation? I don't think so, I hope not, but I don't know for sure. I do know that I am not going to sit in judgement. I am willing to cut her a little slack and hope that she's learned from her experience so it WON'T happen again!

BTW, what does "prolly" mean? I see it posted frequently but don't understand what it means :confused3

I wonder how long it will be before this thread is locked....

Prolly is what some people are using instead of the word probably (prolly isn't a word). I don't find two more letters that hard to type....

Thank you, Thumper (and his father):

"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all." :ssst:

I don't at all condone what the OP did, but I can't even believe my eyes that some on this thread are going the total opposite and defending this man in order to make the OP see the error of her ways, suggesting that "Oh, stuff like that happens at Disney, people bump into each other." BS.

Like I said, I don't think I would have punched the guy, but I know at the very least I would have screamed at him "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING YOU FRIGGING MORON", and I HOPE for the sake of all the little ones in earshot that I would have kept it that clean. Sorry, there's no excuse for knocking a little girl to her knees, even if you are in an emergency, let alone to get a spot for the parade!!!

Honestly for me, if she had titled this thread, "I punched a man at Disney, I am so embarrassed" then I feel that it would have gotten a much different reaction. Just reading the title put a bad taste in my mouth. But for it to have happened and think that it is funny is just hard for many of us to understand. Sure no one is perfect, but most feel remorse after doing something like this. Also, if my child had seen another child get knocked down she would have felt bad for that child, as both my husband and I would as well. Now if my child saw anyone being assaulted, then it would put a major damper on our trip. So for the OP to say this is funny means to me that she never truly reflected on how her own behavior may have affected those around her.

Your daughter is knocked down, you get her up, check to see if she is hurt, see her knees are scraped and then chase down a running man.

All I can say is wow, you must be fast.

Only read the first couple pages of this, reminds me of this lady that pushed my 3 year old daughter and caught her hair in her pocketbook and ripped a hunk of my daughter's hair out it was hanging from her pocketbook, she never stopped or said anything, I did not say anything to her because I was taking care of my baby, but to this day i regret not kicking her in the a---! Good for you if I saw it I would of backed you up!

You were not "defending your child" - your child was in no danger from this man.

You state you are not violent, but I have to disagree. You escalated a situation and instead of speaking rationally you went to punching.

No, no. You're wrong. She stated that she was not violet.

Maybe they man's family should have chased down the OP and punched her. Because they just would have been defending him.

This thread make me never want to go back to Disney. I would hate to see what would happen if my clumbsy nine year old falls and hits someone.

I am a mother of six and this "prolly" did happen to us at some point in my 21 years of parenting. I don't ever remember running up to some stranger and hitting them. As long as the kid is able to get back up again and walk, move on. Yes, upsetting but to actually run and find the man and hit him-Wow. My husband would have been mortified and left with the kids if I had done something like that and I would have as well if he had. Please, blank happens. The guy is an idiot and there are more where he came from.

This "mother bear" mentallity gets to me. Teach your child that bad things happen and that is part of life. Your child won't remember getting knocked down but I am sure she will remember her mother running away from her while she is crying and punching some guy. Plus it prolly ruined your day. If you had just dealt with it and moved on, you wouldn't have been writing about it now. I think you are feeling guilty, op.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter