I need yummy veggie recipes for Xmas dinner!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi there! I am making Xmas dinner for the first time this year. I want to make it as simple as possible so I am planning on using frozen veggies (mostly).

I want two yellow veggies and two green. SIL is bringing turnip casserole and I like making candied carrotts with fresh baby carrots, butter, brown sugar and honey.

But I am stuck on the two greens. I am thinking about peas and green beans. I like GREEN GIANT Sweet Peas and GREEN GIANT French Cut Green Beans, but what can I add to them to give them a lift. I usually just all almonds to the peas and sometimes tiny chopped red pepper to the green beans. What else can I do? THX Sandra

I used to attend a monthly luncheon that serve peas every month! :rolleyes: They always made them with chopped pimentos. It looks festive - but gets real old month after month. ;)

A former friend (moved away, lost contact) serves her peas with pearl onions.

To jazz up green beans I stir in french fried onion rings just before serving. It's not as much work as the casserole & kind of spruces them up. Other times I toss in slivered almonds.

We also like the whole petite green beans just plain.

Those are easier & healthier than making some sort of casserole - or stir-fried green beans.

Sometimes I cook my green beans with bacon in it. It gives the green beans a nice flavor.

We LOVE this recipe - I omit the cheese and use two cans of green beans, drained.

Ingredients
3 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen French cut green beans, thawed, drained
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup CHEEZ WHIZ Cheese Dip
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 can (2.8 oz.) French fried onions, divided

Preparation
MIX all ingredients except 1/2 can of the onions in 1-1/2-quart casserole.

BAKE at 350°F for 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 can onions. Bake 5 minutes.

Here's a great green bean recipe. I got it from Parents magazine

1 lb green beans (I use a package of the Freshlike frozen whole green beans)
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 large shallot,minced (I've also used garlic or an onion, both good)
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

In a small skillet or saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon w/ slotted spoon and set aside. Add shallot to skillet and cook for 5 min. stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and vinegar. Heat through. Keep dressing warm while you make the green beans according to package directions. When green beans are done, whisk dressing and pour over green beans. Sprinkle bacon on top and serve.

It really is wonderful!!

Dark Green? I always go for the broccoli and cheese sauce. In fact you can buy them frozen w/ cheese for ease.

Hi Sandra! My sister adds chopped fresh mint to her peas. It gives them a really different flavour that is very fresh.

What I do with peas ( frozen) is; cook the pea's. When they are done chop some lettuce in small pieces and add to the peas and then mircowave about two to three minutes, depending on your microwave, until the lettuce is soft. Season to taste. It adds a little different taste to the peas and it looks nice in the dish. another idea it to add fresh mint to the peas. This is excellent.

For sting beans.. I use about 6 cans of french style green beans. Mix with cream of mushroom soup. place in casserole. Then put a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs on top of the green beans. Saute onions and then put on top of eggs and top with bread crumbs. I prefer Japanesse bread crumbs, but the other will do. When you are sauting the onions you can add red pepper to give it a zip, but I can't as we have people in the family that cannot eat anything hot or spicy food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter