I need unbiased opinions

pjweaver

just happy to be here
How insane am I to consider to spend $200 for a Santa costume?

For background information I'm 40ish, married with no kids of my own, but extended family has plenty in the 2-10 year old range and the in laws have a huge Christmas eve party. The money won't bankrupt me but could easily go to better use.

Personally - I think it would be very sweet. And money can ALWAYS be used on "better things", but the look of joy on those kid's faces will be......wait for it....PRICELESS! :jumping1:

Last edited:
If the rest of the family thinks it is a good idea to have Santa visit and you would get a few years of use out of it then totally go for it. Outside of family you could also set up to do Santa visits to a local children's hospital or even foster families so not the worst idea ever.

You can rent yourself out for holiday parties and make a bit of money on the side.

Bringing other people joy is always a good way to spend your money and time!

When I have a big purchase to make, I always think will I get that much Value out of it in return...

Considering what you said above and the joy you will bring to the Kids definitely think you'll get your money's worth out of it...

So as long as it's not a stress on the finances, I say go for it...

I'm a very active contributor and moderator for Savingadvice.com. I can tell you what the responses would look like if you posted this question there.

Do you have a 6-month emergency fund?
Do you have any consumer debt other than your mortgage?
How much are you saving for retirement?

If the answers are Yes, No, and At least 10% of gross income, they'd say go ahead.

I know nothing of your finances but as long as this won't break the bank, result in new debt, or keep you from being able to pay your bills and contribute to your savings, I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. As others have suggested, once you own the costume, you may find other uses for it, some of which could even earn you money making it an investment as much as a purchase. Enjoy!

My friend has been doing it for 20 yrs for family and friends he loves it , this should bring you and everyone else a lot of joy.

On the few occasions I've felt the need for a Santa costume I've been able to rent them for <$50. Maybe you could test the waters with a rental and determine how likely you are to use the suit over the next few years.

Fwiw, I loved the IDEA of being Santa. I love Christmas. I have already started working on this year's light display. I do, regrettably, shake like a bowl full of jelly from time to time. Seemed like a perfect fit. It wasn't. As a 6'6", 420lbs soft spoken introvert, my portrayal of St. Nick was more traumatizing than endearing, and having children stare at me with unmitigated fear put a bit of a damper on my holiday joy. Not saying you wouldn't make a terrific Claus, just pointing out why I think it makes sense to test things out before making much of a commitment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter