I need some advice and lots of questions answered please help!!!

tinksgilrs251520

I want to be at WDW
Hello all,

Well my husband and I are purchasinga pop trailer that will sleep 8 and in 2013 we are going to Disney world for Halloween fun .. Now we always stay at the value resort (music) and with us buying a pop up I am hoping that we can have some new experiances. So anyways we are going to WDW with my girlfriend and her family but her husband says hes not going (work in progress). So here is what i need answered to sell camping for this trip.

Her family (including husband) = 6
My family is 4 (daughter 19 he never goes...:confused3)

So what I was thinking is that the adults can sleep in the pop up and the kids can sleep in the tents. and if it rains we can have them sleep in the trailer. SO anyways here is what I need answered in order to sell this idea.

1. Is smoking allowed at the campsites?
2. Are there poolside activities? (like movies, games, etc)
3. what GUY things are there to do for the husbands that dont like the parks?
4. Is teh dinning plan worth it when camping?
5. How far is the nearest store.
6. what is the closest pool to the sites
7. are the campsites somewhat secluded?

I will probably think of more but this is the start so thanks in advance to all who answers.:)

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Fishing in the canals, bike riding. Lots of great photography opportunities. Horseback riding, etc.
4. IMHO, no. I cook/freeze most of my meals before leaving home. Then just pop in microwave or on grill. I don't like spending a lot of my time while on vacation sitting in restaurants. We'll go out for a few nice meals but don't plan them in advance unless it's a special occasion.
5. There are two trading posts in the campground, but prices are high. Someone else will have to help you with other stores in the area.
6. Depends on which pool you're talking about. Go to the FAQ section and check out the Fort Wilderness map.
7. No. They used to be before Disney went in and cleared out the undergrowth a few years ago. But you still won't feel crowded.

Let me know if I can help further.

3.Guy things. fishing, golf, kayaks,archery, Segway tour, horse shoes, tether ball. Bring games, darts,
or beer and a TV. :lmao:

4. I now agree on the DDP, not worth it, with the price increases and taking away from it over the years.

5. There are several stores close by. Publix, Winn Dixie and Wal-Mart.

6. pools. There are 2 pools, a themed pool with a slide in the middle of the Fort and a small pool by the cabins.

7. seclusion. if you want seclusion, request the 2000 loop, if you want close to the main pool request 1500 loop.

Tink,

Welcome fellow pop-up owner! party:

I have a couple recommendations for your situation. It would help to know how many days you wanted to stay at the Fort.

First, Halloween time is beginning to get more popular at the Fort. Fall weekends are wonderful weatherwise. I would suggest booking your ressie as far in advance as you can (500 days from check-out is the soonest). Book a little longer than you plan so you can drop unwanted days once plans firm up.

As far as kids activities during the day, the Fort has ongoing things daily usually around the Meadow Pool area: here is the handout we got in March as an example of what is offered.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Of course around Halloween itself they will probably have themed activities.

Cooking for 10 people in a pup can be a daily strain. If you have lots of help it works fine but it will be a big job. My biggest thing was cooking a 22# Thanksgiving turkey and feeding 17 people at my site. But that was just one day. If you can utilize the grill that at each site for burgers/dogs, etc you can off-load that from the pup kitchen. It's just hard to find enough countertop or cupboard space to store anything more than 1-2 days worth of food in a pup.

One alternative would be to book two back-to-back ressies with same type of site but get one with the DP and one without. Use the WITH days as your theme park days. Use the WITHOUT days for your "lounge-around-the-Fort" time. for the record I've never used nor liked DP (it was a good deal years ago but not any more) but this split strategy is used by some.

Speaking as a guy I enjoyed the game of putt-putt me and the other adults played on the last trip. Over by the Disney Studios entrance and the Dolphin/Swan entrance is the Fantasia Gardens putt-putt. One course is Sorcerer's Apprentice themed (appropriate for kids) but the second course is my favorite, called the Fairways course. More like a real golf course with no stupid windmills. I had pix in my April trip report. It lets those competitive juices flow.

Some sites are somewhat secluded. Others are in the wide open with no trees. All over the map. The Winn Dixie I shop at is 10 minutes from the Fort entrance. Right next to the Winn Dixie is a Poppa Johns for cheap, filling, delicious takeout pizza (the Trails End pizza is reportedly not good). PJ also delivers to the Fort but we order specials online then go pick it up. Also two GAGS would feed your bunch dinner for $50. The "Giddyup and Go" (GAG) is 10 pieces of fried chicken, two sides (choose from mac/cheese, slaw, mash taters, or fries), cornbread from the takeout side of Trails End. We always get one the day we arrive and set up. One of the few bargains left at the Fort. The GAG is $25 so two should feed ya'll.

Good luck with your pup!

Bama ED

Bama Ed, thanks for posting that activities guide. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Guy things,
fishing the lake, fishing the canals, fishing the ponds, and let us not forget the manly sport of drinking from a red cup while BBQing outside watching a ball game on TV(while outside).

did anyone mention buggy riding ?

or fishing ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter