I need HELP!!!!!

tinkandonaldfans

DIS Veteran
So it’s my husband’s 40th and I have decided to treat him to tickets and a stay at Universal!
Our daughter(5years) is 48inches now so can go on a good chunk of the rides too!

Now we haven’t been to universal for literally years, maybe 6-7 years ago so my knowledge is rusty!!

My plan is while we are at Disney we get an early Uber over to the Hard Rock hotel as I’m booking a club level room. I figured we could then make use of the early entry but other than that I’m stuck! I know Disney like the back of my hand but universal is a big question mark. I really want to make the most of the two days we’ll be there so I’m after tips tricks and anything else you can shed light on!

Also after snacks/city walk recommendations as we are all about the food!

If you are staying at Hard Rock, there is not much you need to do since you will have Express Pass.

You will need to plan when to ride Hagrid's because it's not part of Express pass. Early entry is a good time, assuming the ride opens on time. Or right before closing. We also will "just wait," but we try to time it when people are getting lunch and the line is a little shorter. We grab a butterbeer (line is still usually shortest in the Hog's Head) and hop in line.

Since pandemic, people have gotten in the habit of making dinner reservations. Times between 4:30-9 will sell out, so once you figure out where you want to eat dinner, make a reservation for that.

Universal has an app, so you can check ride times (less important with Express), but you can also use it for some mobile dining options and looking at menus.

The great thing about Universal + Express Pass is that you just pick a park, pick a direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and just go.

I guess one thing that does require updated explaining is the lockers. Since your last visit, they have redone locker areas and so the "free" ones are smaller than they used to be. Try not to bring a backpack or other large bag, because then you will probably need to pay for a locker on the rides that require them.

Also, small cross-body bags, in addition to the previously allowed, three-prong hip pouches are also allowed on some of the rides now, like MIB and Gringott's, etc. If you have a small cross-body you can ask a TM before automatically assuming it needs a locker. Velocicoaster, Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket are still mandatory "everything goes in a locker" rides.

Utilize early entry and express pass. We have never had issues getting on every ride we wanted with Express Pass. I agree with pp to make a reservation for Hagrid's as it is the best ride in all of Universal imo. If your daughter is a Harry Potter fan (or if you or your hubby is) definitely budget time and $$$ to get a wand. My kids loved the interactive wands.

Apologies for my dis-organized post....Thankfully, you don't need to do a lot of planning for Universal, especially with having the express pass for 2 days. Hagrid's and the Velocicoaster are not eligible for the express pass, although I think Hagrid's is closed for refurbishment. Not sure. Either way, jumping into the Hagrid's line shortly before closing is your best bet. However, there is a risk that it may break down or they close the line early, so you may want to try riding earlier, too.

Staying at the hotel does get you early entry, too. If you are a morning person, a lot of people use early entry to ride Hagrid's. Sometimes I feel like the line is longer than then after the park opens, mid-morning. I would keep an eye on the wait times. Velocicoaster's line moves pretty quickly.

The Seuss train and the pterodactyl flight are super slow lines. Not worth the wait.

I think the log flume ride is closed. If it's open, know that you get a lot wetter on it than Splash Mountain. You will get soaked on the river raft drive. Ride that one last if you must ride. The Jurassic log flume is usually not too bad, water-wise. It really depends on the weight distribution of your boat mates. My daughter got really wet on it once. Otherwise, we've been fine.

The Kong line tends to move slowly. Use the Universal app to monitor line waits. It's a similar ride to the Fast and Furious Ride. It's not the original ride from Universal Studios. I prefer Kong to F&F, but the F&F line moves faster than Kong. Fast & Furious is LOUD. Bring ear plugs if your child is sensitive to noise. The Spiderman and Transformers rides are also of similar design. Spiderman is better, if you only have time for one. The Minion simulator isn't great (it used to be the Jetson's ride). It does have some non-moving seats if you prefer. Be sure to have everyone take some non-drowsy dramamine. The simulator rides will ruin your day.

The Mummy is a short, fairly mild roller coaster (except for a few sudden stops that can hurt your neck if you aren't supporting it). It's one of my favorites. I would compare it to Thunder Mountain.

Simpson's ride replaced the Back to the Future ride. Back to the Future was much better. The Simpsons line always takes a lot longer than the posted time. If you're a Simpson's fan, than ride it. Otherwise I would skip. It's not a smooth simulator.

The ET ride is still around. It's hidden, but I recommend it to everyone because it's not a simulator.

Be aware that the free HP wand that they offer if you buy over $250 is not interactive.

Best rides in Universal: Mummy, Escape from Gringott's, the rockin roller coaster (if you like them), Men In Black.

Second Tier would be Jimmy Fallon (it's a lot more fun than it sounds), Transformers, F&F, and ET. Make-up show (funny and a nice break from the heat), Bourne Stunt Show (very different than the Indiana Jones one-also nice for a break from the heat). I highly recommend both shows

Third tier: Simpsons and Minions.

Island's Rides: Hagrid's, Jurassic flume, Velosicoaster, HP ride in the castle (do not ride right after eating-it makes a lot of people motion-sick), Spiderman,

Second Tier: Cat in the Hat, King Kong, Hulk (this one is rough on your neck), carousel

Third: Flight of the Hippendorf, everything else in the park

Regarding Hogwort's Express...The line is very slow....It's much faster to walk to the other park than to take this. The wait time is usually a lot longer than the posted time. People say that it's different in each direction, but I haven't noticed how it's different. I'm not a HP fan and didn't read the books. If you are a die-hard fan, then ride it. If not, I don't think it's worth the wait. It's a slow moving train where you watch a screen that looks like the outside. Im sure you can watch it on YouTube. Also, you must have park-hopping passes to ride Hogwart's.

Butter beer and frozen butter beer are worth trying. The carrot one and others, are not. Both HP restaurants have a lot of seating and a decent variety of food. If you want a sit-down place, Mythos in Islands is the best. You can make reservations in the app.

If you buy donuts from voodoo donuts, order on the app and skip the line.

Again, make-up show and stunt show are both worth going to and a nice break from simulators.

Be sure to have everyone take some non-drowsy dramamine. The simulator rides will ruin your day.
100% disagree with this. Very much depends on your party. I can ride absolutely anything; my friend needs the anti-nausea behind-the-ear patch (Dramamine doesn't really help her). You know your family best to know if you need something to help with motion sickness. You can also buy stuff in Universal if you discover an issue.

I don’t have much advice but I am jealous of your DD5 hitting 48inches. Our DD6 just hit 42.(she’s has always been tiny) We took her when she was 4 and still under 40”. I was trying to wait she hit it but at that point I felt bad DS8 was missing Universal bc his sister is tiny.

We are going for the 4th time in 2 years later this month. She is excited to try the rides that are for 42”.

One ride my kids love that doesn’t have express pass is pteranodon flyers. It is a slow loading ride and you need to have a kid to go on it. It opens at 9 so we usually head to Harry Potter at 8 for early entry, have breakfast quick at 3 broomsticks and get to the Jurassic kid area at 9. Then we ride the pteranodon flyers twice before the line builds. It is just a little ride on a track about the kid Jurassic area but my kids love it.

We have stayed at Hard Rock a few times and you can’t beat the quick walk to the parks! Other than Hagrids , Universal is so easy to manage with express pass. We just hit the park in order and ride what we want at that time. No crossing the park multiple times to hit lightening lanes at selected times.

DS8 has been going the last few years. He really enjoys Hagrids and most of the other rides at Universal besides the major coasters. Hagrids is the most intense he can handle at this point.

Re: dinner reservations, the Hard Rock concierge may be able to help you with last minute requests. We stayed Club Level over Thanksgiving and they made us same day dinner reservations twice. We just texted them in the morning and they got back to us pretty quickly. Great perk!

I realize that everyone is different, but regardless of height I can't imagine there are many 5 year olds riding much of anything at Universal except in Suess land.
yep, everyone is different, so don’t count it our for the OP. My youngest was tall and loved Big Thunder at MK at age 3.5, and by age 5 she was riding Tower of Terror and Space Mtn. We didn’t go to universal until she was 7, but she rode more things than my 10 year old DS. You never know!

I realize that everyone is different, but regardless of height I can't imagine there are many 5 year olds riding much of anything at Universal except in Suess land.
My granddaughter was that age and had to be measured 3 times to get okayed for Forbidden Journey. She rode it and did fine. I was the one who got dizzy and sick from it. I've never ridden it since. Too much jerking and quick turns for me.

BumbleBee Man's Taco Truck is amazing. Florean Fortescue's ice-cream is wonderful on a hot day (or any day, it's great ice-cream). The Banana Icee near King Kong is one of my favorite Universal treats. In City Walk, Toothsome was wonderful, but I would make a reservation because it can get busy.

If you want to go old school and buy a book, this one was helpful when planning my first visit. The new edition comes out in December. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-G...Universal+Orlando+Guide&qid=1685555922&sr=8-1

For rides, you know your family. Keep in mind any issues people have with drops, motion sickness, simulator rides or other ride related issues. Some rides may be an issue or not. It depends on the person.

You don't need to have everything planned in the app like Disney or worry about making ride reservations. I would go in with a list of rides, shows, things you want to do, but that's about it in terms of ride planning.

Love leaky cauldron for any meal!

Florean forstecues is also a must for ice cream ( I love the Granny Smith apple soft serve and the Earl grey and lavender!)

Also enjoy Simpsons fast food Boulevard and I forget it’s name but the quick service in jurassic park!

In city walk my family and I love BigFire, Antojitos and the Irish pub (I think it begins with an f)

Regarding Hogwort's Express...The line is very slow....It's much faster to walk to the other park than to take this. The wait time is usually a lot longer than the posted time. People say that it's different in each direction, but I haven't noticed how it's different. I'm not a HP fan and didn't read the books.
(bolding mine) - The movie that plays on the windows is different. It does help if you know the story.

We didn't ride this last time, but have in the past. The wait can be long, but the queue is actually really well done - lots of great details if you are a fan of the books/movies!

Just FYI: Velocicoaster now has Express Pass.
I can confirm this - at least it did when we were there in early March. It was our favorite ride, and I think some of our party went on it four times!

You know your family best to know if you need something to help with motion sickness. You can also buy stuff in Universal if you discover an issue.
(bolding mine) - ...and if you don't see what you need, ask the cashier in the shops! They have sort of a "pharmacy" bin under the counter.

Love leaky cauldron for any meal!

Florean forstecues is also a must for ice cream
Definitely loved the Leaky Cauldron, and we get the butterbeeer ice cream at Florian's every time!!

You've gotten lots of good advice above! I'd add that our favorite CityWalk restaurant this trip was Cowfish. We loved the burgushi! (There's a cute photo-op for your DD out in front, too.)

And did anyone mention the dragon in Diagon Alley? - It breathes fire about every 15 minutes, so if your family doesn't know that, focus your camera on them when the rumbles start to get a great pic when it happens.

100% disagree with this. Very much depends on your party. I can ride absolutely anything; my friend needs the anti-nausea behind-the-ear patch (Dramamine doesn't really help her). You know your family best to know if you need something to help with motion sickness. You can also buy stuff in Universal if you discover an issue.
Agree. If anything, I’d do a trial run of the meds at home to see how all do react to it. Some people get terribly drowsy.

Others say it doesn’t sit well
With alcohol. I’ve not had an issue with a drink or two using it when cruising

I’ve learned to look down at certain points on simpsons. Spider-Man no issue, similar terminator is one I skip. No idea why it triggers me as I love the franchise. I don’t.bother with the medication there

As a Disney comparison, the guardians ride was the worst for me in any MCO park. Have been fine since after taking Dramamine an hour prior.

There are no absolutes with motion sickness

Last edited:
I’m also mom of a 6 year old, 48 inch daughter who loves Hagrids, Gringotts and Mummy! We took her for her first Universal visit in April and she absolutely loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter