• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

i must remain calm, i must remain calm

First I have to say, I hesitate giving a New Yorker any helpful info. ;) I'll just assume you are NOT a Yankees fan....or Jets fan. (jk all in good fun).

I totally understand your feelings. On one trip I was sooo close to losing it until my grown DS said - "Mom, please don't get upset at all of these people who are behaving badly. They can't understand that Disney World was built just for you and you alone!" I looked at him and we both started laughing. That's when I knew that my best medicine was humor. Now when I visit I try to notice the people that "know" the park was built for them and laugh.

I love this. Sounds like something my kids would say. :lmao:

What I do? I imagine the worst scenario I've encountered personally, then I imagine that person recently had that same experience, or something worse. I find I have alot more tolerance with people if I have compassion. Atleast I try to do that. I always remember my mother saying things like, "you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar" and my uncle saying "yeah, but vinegar cleans up messes better". I don't know why that just came to mind. I hope you have a peaceful, joyful amazingly magical trip.

I'm born and raised in the midwest and get very annoyed when people don't follow the rules or behave like they "should."

Having said that, I give those who are "clueless" some slack ... I get very upset with those who appear to know better and CHOOSE to cut lines and generally behave as if they are the only ones of importance.

Too many of those rude guests, unfortunately, know EXACTLY what they are doing.

First I have to say, I hesitate giving a New Yorker any helpful info. ;) I'll just assume you are NOT a Yankees fan....or Jets fan. (jk all in good fun).

As a fellow Southern New Englander, this made me laugh :) It'd be funnier if the Sox hadn't let us down so hard but at least Brady and Welker seem to be back in their awesome groove, right? :)

I feel the same way. I have been giving myself pep talks for two weeks now about not letting little things get to me. Just breathe, and remember that we'll get to ride eventually and there's no time to be annoyed at DISNEY!!!

Okay....so now I am a little scared of being in front of any of ya'll in line. Maybe I should ask the people directly behind me if they are from the north...if so I'll just let them in front of me. :thumbsup2

Ha ha.... too funny!:rotfl:
I guess in turn I will have to ask the people in front of me if they are from the south so they dont get hurt!

What can I say, people are people. Yes it is annoying when people do not understand personal space is personal space or cut or being rude. And I must tell you people cut even with 5 min wait. On a Buzz, we were about to enter building, no line, my DD already got in when a family with a litle kid literally run and cut infront of me. My DD let them pass and we reunited again but 2 min later when we are about to get on a ride, 2 other family members of the same group run and push everyone in a line to get "reunited" with others. Nobody had even chance to block them even if they wanted, those were so fast like it was the last boat on Titanic. Why not to wait for all of you get to the ride and then go like the rest of us?:confused3 My DD was elbowed on a Stitch ride, in a second room, when door to actual ride opened, why, someone needed better seat? Be prepared, a lot of rudeness is going on, BUT try not to concentrate on it. Saying something helps, not nessasary to offender, just out loud and then let it go, get ice cream, drink some water, look at something nice, like a beautiful building and let offender in a past. :goodvibes

Wherever you're from, when you're about to have a head-on collision with someone, don't you move to the right?

I don't get the people who move to the left. Is that a regional thing?

:confused3

dh, ds (age 1) and i leave for WDW on sunday morning! :cheer2: it'll be our first trip as DVC owners and the trip just couldn't come at a better time. dh had to leave his job for a new one since he believes the current one is about to go under. the new job involves a commute to jersey and less money. anyway, enough of that....let's just say it's been stressful and i can't WAIT to just be at disney!!

but here's where i need your help. i don't know if it's b/c i'm a new yorker or just because i have bad nerves but i sometimes tend to lose my patience at disney. i never say anything nasty but i do internalize my annoyance with people (you know, like the guy who is a little too close to the back of you in line, the lady who cuts in front of you in the bathroom, the kids on wheelies, etc). i don't want to get annoyed and let silly little things like that ruin my trip.

how do you just let it go? take deep breaths? i'm just not going to allow my usual pet peeves to get the best of me. it's silly to get all in a huff about someone not moving far enough down the row. who cares?? my dh is so good like that, he lets everything roll off his back.

how do YOU do it??

(i realize i sound like i need xanax! lol!)

I'm so glad your DH was able to find another job before his company went under. It was a great proactive approach.

This post made me laugh as it sounds just like me. I'll never forgot the first time we went grocery shopping at the Super Walmart down there. We were in line for what seemed like forever. The pace is painfully slow to me compared to what it is in the Northeast. I am getting better when I vacation down there now. I remind myself that I am on vacation so what's the rush??? I try to take it slow. The whole feeling of someone up my butt as I'm waiting in line I just can't get over. I will ask for my personal space and I remind my DD to always give personal space as well. That, to me, is just good manners.

Go, have fun, and take it slow. ;)

To OP: Good job on identifying that you might react. That's a good portion of the battle. My strategy is to hum, whistle, or sing (usually a Disney tune), not loudly as to annoy, in fact very softly, but to:

1) avoid snapping at anyone (I really don't want to argue with rude guests if avoidable)

2) it makes me and my party happy to be in the Disney-fied spirit, and

3) most of the time, if the rude person is still standing right there, as with a close line person, it sort of freaks them out, They tend to back up - I assume on the instinctive reaction of "the humming lady is smiling and staring at me, she doesn't seem too balanced." Works 90% of the time.

Hey, I'll have to try that. We leave a week from tomorrow!

I usually sling my backpack around to clear the space behind me!

I go to Disney with my mother. LOL

The reason that's a stress reliever is that SHE is the one who gets upset with others easily. So I'm usually too busy trying to calm her that I dont get upset! In fact I always ask her "is this really worth ruining the next 10 minutes of your life".

Maybe tell your hubby to say that to you when you get worked up.

lol! well thanks for not holding it against me. i will tell you that yes, i'm born & raised in the bronx but a die hard mets and giants fan :)

compassion is a good word. i will have to remember to have compassion for those that i want to smack. lol! no but really, you're right. who knows, maybe that lady freaking out at her husband is going through something really bad.

Ha ha.... too funny!:rotfl:
I guess in turn I will have to ask the people in front of me if they are from the south so they dont get hurt!

YES! Please! I need a heads up! :rotfl:
I THINK I am pretty good with line etiquette but I don't notice these things or either they don't bother me when it happens. I guess I am slow to anger. My DH says when I get in Disney I go into a "nothing bothers me. I'm just happy to be here" mode. Might just be my personality not my location in the US.
Ya'll northerners remind me so much of my BFF. She was born and raised in New Orleans but apparently New Yorkers and Cajuns think alike. ;)

My father actually does a lil routine with all the grandkids as a joke. He says "now remember kids.... push and shove, push and shove" It's a running joke now with our family. The kids will actually say.."everyone, remember what Grandpa says!":lmao:

My father actually does a lil routine with all the grandkids as a joke. He says "now remember kids.... push and shove, push and shove" It's a running joke now with our family. The kids will actually say.."everyone, remember what Grandpa says!":lmao:

that's too funny!!!

i appreciate everyone's replies. i'm glad i'm not the only one who gets annoyed even though we know it's silly to get annoyed. who CARES if that person cut in front of you?? i mean, it's not right...but they are only hurting themselves (karma's a "W"itch, right??).

i'm just going to take ALOT of deep breaths. ALOT.

I absolutely love this thread!! I moved to AZ from Long Island about 4 years ago, and everyone out here thinks I'm crazy. My poor DBF moves slower than a turtle and God knows I try to be patient, but something just snaps in me! I think why I get so frusturated (especially at Disney) is I want to get the most out of my time. I only have 1 week there, of course I want to get to as much as possible and use the time how I want.
That said, I'm learning slowly but surely it's not worth getting stressed over things I can't control, and I guess I'd rather do less on my vacation while being relaxed, than get to everything while being annoyed.

dh, ds (age 1) and i leave for WDW on sunday morning! :cheer2: it'll be our first trip as DVC owners and the trip just couldn't come at a better time. dh had to leave his job for a new one since he believes the current one is about to go under. the new job involves a commute to jersey and less money. anyway, enough of that....let's just say it's been stressful and i can't WAIT to just be at disney!!

but here's where i need your help. i don't know if it's b/c i'm a new yorker or just because i have bad nerves but i sometimes tend to lose my patience at disney. i never say anything nasty but i do internalize my annoyance with people (you know, like the guy who is a little too close to the back of you in line, the lady who cuts in front of you in the bathroom, the kids on wheelies, etc). i don't want to get annoyed and let silly little things like that ruin my trip.

how do you just let it go? take deep breaths? i'm just not going to allow my usual pet peeves to get the best of me. it's silly to get all in a huff about someone not moving far enough down the row. who cares?? my dh is so good like that, he lets everything roll off his back.

how do YOU do it??

(i realize i sound like i need xanax! lol!)

I'm sorry I have no words of advise. If I did, I'd be using them on myself...lol. I'm just here to say I totally get what you're saying. I know my dh probably thinks I could use some Xanax from time to time. I swear it must be a northern thing. My brother in-law is from the deep south and he's totally oblivious to some of the most annoying behavior from others. (Lucky him I guess!) I suppose when we go back, I'll just do what I can to let things go. No one wants to have it out with someone at "The Happiest Place On Earth" :scared1:. I hope you have a great vacation!

First of all here's a :hug:. Second I am dying laughing only because you sound like me. I don't know if it's my "northern" nature or what, LOL. We leave Friday and just last night I said to everyone we are not going to complain this trip about other "people" in the park that annoy us. We are just going to go and enjoy each other as a family and not let anyone else get to us. Then I'll take a xanax :rotfl:, just kidding.

Heck I am from Alaska, and I go through the same exact annoyances!! Maybe it is a "northern" thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter