I must be crazy……AUGUST?!?!

Can you switch your plans to DLR? Instead of hellish humidity and an apolcalyptic daily thunderstorm, it will be in the mid 80s-90 (and usually a dry heat) with zero rain almost guaranteed.

When my friends ask me why I go to WDW in the summer my answer is I go when my HS aged kids can go and not miss school so they aren't stressed. I'm not taking my kids on vacation to be worried about missed work or projects so we usually go over spring break or summertime. Yes it's hot but it's bearable and the heat can be mitigated. I do think it depends on personal heat tolerance but nobody in my immediate family has ever tapped out on the heat. For reference we live in SC and our summer temps and humidity is about the same as ORL the only difference is their summer lasts longer. I think the goal is to go at a much slower pace and don't push yourself or your son to 'do it all', summer ain't the time for that.

We do early mornings, midday breaks, lunch ADRs or QS with indoor eating to catch AC, bring our own refillable water bottles and we definitely choose a resort that's closer to the parks we'll visit more to accommodate back and forth park visits. We'll also do EEH if we can or an after hours to enjoy after dark temps. Our summer trips look a lot different than winter/spring trips- shorter park days and a lot less walking. There's no way we're rope dropping and staying all day in August. We'll also build in a rest day/half day if we can to sleep in, swim, relax if we do a late night the eve before. Other tips and tricks-
  • I have seen alot of people say heat rash killed their love of summer disney visits so if you or your son are prone to heat rash, be prepared. I see a lot of people with running ointments
  • Summer shoe choices are dicey too since you don't want to be uncomfortable walking around in wet shoes so consider what shoe might dry quickly but also supportive. I know some people bring two pairs.
  • Yes to a small umbrella, poncho is more portable but it's gross when it's 100% humidity and really doesn't keep you that dry.
  • handheld fan, cooling towels, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, are all necessary
  • if you pack a water bottle, you can get free ice water from the QS to fill it up- just bring some water flavoring packets or infusions since as you probably know, disney water is NASTY
Hope you have a great trip!

I can't imagine spending all that money and being hot sweaty and miserable just stepping foot outside for a minute. So many other beautiful vacation spots to go to in August. Since you've been there so many times- maybe open your son's eyes to other places in the world.

We have done it twice. Totally manageable if you know what you are getting into.

If there is a way to move your dates later in August, you would probably have lower crowds. That's when we have been there.

Just a thought!

My mom's yearly work convention was always in Orlando in August so that was our go to WDW time as kids. My sister and I were just laughing the other day, recalling how the paper toilet seat cover would stick to your sweaty derriere and you had to peel it off.

I am from the Boston area and went in July once and found not a huge difference between our weather and Florida weather. I am planning a week in August this summer as my work in is closing and I could either spend a week with my toddlers in my house driving me crazy, or spend it in Florida (my babysitters refuse to work if I don't have work, and it is family so what can you do when they do it for free?). Hoping it is a similar situation where the heat is similar to Boston.
When I was growing up, our family trips were always in August because of lower crowds/prices and NYC schools going back later than the ones down south, and I have been back a lot for Labor Day weekend trips as an adult. tbh even now I don't find the weather in FL to be any worse that time of year than at home. The actual real feel temps are about the same. It can get very humid in the city in late summer, as bad as sometimes worse than down south.

But it really does depend on how well you handle heat. I swear I'm built for it, doesn't bother me at all (dry or humid!), but some folks just can't cope no matter what they do and think no one else can (see some PPs). The key, like many folks have said, is staying indoors during that hottest part of the day. You don't want to be in the parks that time of day anyway because it's the most crowded with the worst waits. I still use the tried and true strategy of rope drop till about noon, long rest at the resort during the middle part of the day, then go back in the evening after the clockwork afternoon thunderstorms and close out a park. When you are outside, go slower, switch off between indoor/outdoor attractions, make sure you are hydrating enough (Liquid IV is a godsend) and taking breaks. The latter two are always important but become even more so during the summer months.

Possibly TMI, but take 2 pairs of underpants for each day, minimum, especially if you are going to be showering or changing mid-day. Trust me- you'll be glad you did.
Not TMI at all, I actually go as far as packing 2 outfits per day for summer trips and shower/change during that midday break. Goes a long way to making you feel like a human being again! (I also swap shoes too, and I swear it's why I never get blisters)

If you like to go in August then please share with me your tips and tricks and why you enjoy it! And similarly, if you have been in August and swore “never again” and stuck to it, feel free to weigh in as well, all opinions and advice welcome.

For context this would be perhaps my 12th or 13th trip and my son’s 5th? 6th? So we are not first timers. We’d be staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and doing Lyft and Uber everywhere.

Hi! We've traveled in August a few times. Yes, it's hot, but we definitely manage!

Here are a few things we do to help make our trip more enjoyable:
  • Most people don't eat as much when it's really hot out. Instead of having 3 meals a day, we usually do a light breakfast and then a late TS lunch, like 3pm (or maybe 3:45pm, following the parade if we're at MK), which puts us in an air conditioned restaurant during some of the hottest parts of the day.
  • We go to more shows in the afternoon hours, from like 1-5pm, when it's especially hot.
  • We go to rides with air conditioned queues during those same hours, like Soarin'.
  • We bring a UV umbrella for shade for when we spend time outdoors in the sun.
  • We bring cooling hats and towels, which work great, as well as items like cooling/fever patches and spray fans.
In general, by doing those things, we manage the heat pretty well! But the heat and sun can definitely wipe you out, so I think it's more important to have a resort day if your trip is in the summer months so you can give your body a day to recover before venturing out into the heat again!

It really boils down to how well you and your family do in the heat. The days in August can definitely be brutal, with Feels Like temperatures extending into 103/104 due to the humidity, but they also tend to be among the least crowded of the entire year.

There are a lot of devices available nowadays, as well, like cooling towels, neck fans, mister fans, etc. that may help your family to manage the heat.

The one thing that can't be helped is the storms - in summer, we have storms at approximately 4pm daily. These don't last terribly long, but they are essentially guaranteed, and will temporarily shut down various attractions at each park. If you're fine with that, I think you'll still have a grand time, even with the heat!

tbh even now I don't find the weather in FL to be any worse that time of year than at home. The actual real feel temps are about the same. It can get very humid in the city in late summer, as bad as sometimes worse than down south.
AGREE! NY is hot and humid in August. I just try to stay inside whereas at Disney we are outside moving around or in a pool. It's definitely gross in NY over the summer. Humidity is killer.

I am originally from brazil, where our "winter" is just rain LOL. And Even for a Brazilian, August was MISERABLE. I never went that time again. Apart from being super hot, it is super humid, plus high chances of rain .

I always laugh since every year someone where I work takes their family to Disney for the first time in July/August and invariably comes back to say they will NEVER do that again. It is SO hot/humid that walking for miles in the blazing sun isn't my idea of a fun vacation. No amount of beverages or lightweight clothing is going to make that experience any more enjoyable. I doubt even if you live in the southern part of the country that you do you most strenuous outdoor activities at the hottest times of the day.
I mean, there are likely around 6-10 million people who go to Disney World every July/August. Do you think that many people are doing something that they don't like and/or not having a good time? Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean that no one does, and I guarantee you that the majority of the millions have a good time. Personally I've never been to WDW any time outside of summer, and I think it's odd that some people can't deal with the heat for a few minutes here and there.

Overall, I think visiting in summer is great, we sweat, we complain we say never again and yet we go back lol---- Like I said we go when my kids can go. I equate summer trips to disney to my labor experiences, it's painful but rewarding and all the bad stuff like heat and pain eventually fade away in your mind and you do it again....

Kind of skimmed the responses, saw a lot of recommendations for cooling towels and fans, which I recommend, but also strongly recommend UV umbrellas. They can second as a rain umbrella too. But it makes a big difference having some shade when walking around and even when in lines where there is little to no shade. We were the envy of many guests when we did a June trip one year and temp in the parks was 100.

We go in August every year - this was after years of going in October and the weather not feeling much different (so why not save some $$). I also find the crowds to be more manageable, ADRs more plentiful and the trip all around more enjoyable.

I definitely recommend bringing portable fans/AC as well as cooling towels - both have been super helpful.

Enjoy!
Based on this thread I ordered a shipment of cooling towels, misting fans, and neck fans. I'll probably also go for a USB umbrella based on some other responses on here!

Can you switch your plans to DLR? Instead of hellish humidity and an apolcalyptic daily thunderstorm, it will be in the mid 80s-90 (and usually a dry heat) with zero rain almost guaranteed.
I know the weather in California is sooooooo nice. And California is also sooooooo expensive (says the girl who once lived there and moved far, far away). We actually finally visited DLR last November and loved it, though! If we were going to be close to California so that travel there was affordable I would definitely consider it!

When I was growing up, our family trips were always in August because of lower crowds/prices and NYC schools going back later than the ones down south, and I have been back a lot for Labor Day weekend trips as an adult. tbh even now I don't find the weather in FL to be any worse that time of year than at home. The actual real feel temps are about the same. It can get very humid in the city in late summer, as bad as sometimes worse than down south.

But it really does depend on how well you handle heat. I swear I'm built for it, doesn't bother me at all (dry or humid!), but some folks just can't cope no matter what they do and think no one else can (see some PPs). The key, like many folks have said, is staying indoors during that hottest part of the day. You don't want to be in the parks that time of day anyway because it's the most crowded with the worst waits. I still use the tried and true strategy of rope drop till about noon, long rest at the resort during the middle part of the day, then go back in the evening after the clockwork afternoon thunderstorms and close out a park. When you are outside, go slower, switch off between indoor/outdoor attractions, make sure you are hydrating enough (Liquid IV is a godsend) and taking breaks. The latter two are always important but become even more so during the summer months.
I have a friend like this. She loves Florida in the summer and I swear she is always cold any other time of year and pretty much anywhere else in the country.

My sister has a total, literal meltdown if the mercury rises above 80. She told me she thought she was going to die going to DC in September. I don't love heat/humidity, wouldn't seek it out, but I also don't freak out the way she does. Totally agree, everyone handles the heat so differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter