I meant to write this thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
during last Christmas, but never got around to it. It absolutely ENGRAGES me that Christ is being taken out of the celebration of Christmas. You don't see Merry Christmas anywhere in public anymore. It pisses me off beyond belief. During Christmas of 2004 I spent a fortune to go to Disneyland only to arrive there and see "Happy Holidays" everywhere. Castmembers were saying it. It's funny, but whenever someone said Happy Holidays to me, I yelled back at them (in a friendly tone) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! The whole time there ONE cast member said Merry Christmas. I know this is an issue everywhere now and not just Disneyland. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks about it. I'm NOT trying to cause an argument, I just feel I have a right to my freedom of religion. Christmas use to be my favorite holiday, but not anymore, sad to say. This isn't Disney related, but the same topic. You know the Christmas song "We Wish you a Merry Christmas?" Well, I saw a Sears commercial last Dec and people were singing "We Wish you a Happy Holiday.." I've had it, I don't know about anyone else.

I am completely surprised that anyone wishing you a Happy Holiday enrages you!

There are celebrations for other religions and cultures going on in the same general time of year, and I see nothing wrong with DL (or anyone for that matter) wanting to wish goodwill and good tidings to others, regardless of their religious beliefs or affiliation. As an organization welcoming guests from all over the world, I would actually expect DL to go out of their way to include everyone in their good wishes.

If Happy Holidays enrages you, how would nice folks visiting from Israel feel about Merry Christmas. What about those fellow Americans who are Muslim or Buddist? Not everyone is Christian.

Alex2kMommy said:
I am completely surprised that anyone wishing you a Happy Holiday enrages you!

:sunny: At Christmas time, I want people to wish me a Merry Christmas. The United States is a predominantly Christian country. If Disneyland has Christmas decorations, why not say Merry Christmas? That's how it used to be. True, other holidays are being celebrated at the same time of year, but you don't see Disneyland putting up Hanukkah decorations. And that's too bad. Every holiday should be acknowledged. Saying "Happy Holidays" is just too impersonal to me. I should of said "annoyed" instead of engraged. It's a better way to put it.

I think you'll get more of a reaction if you post this on the Community boards.
This is a bit off topic for a trip planning forum. Thanks! :)

my3kids said:
If Happy Holidays enrages you, how would nice folks visiting from Israel feel about Merry Christmas. What about those fellow Americans who are Muslim or Buddist? Not everyone is Christian.

They would have absolutley NO reason to be offended by Merry Christmas, and I know most of them don't care. If I visited Israel, I wouldn't care hearing people say Happy Hanukkah because it's THEIR own right too. The United States is becoming more diverse every day. EVERY HOLIDAY of every religion should be acknowledged. I just don't think "Happy Holidays" is a good way to do it. And I don't like how Christ is being taken out of the celebration of Christmas. :)

Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings are the norm in our pluralistic society. To whatever degree DL does this, they are following the norm. As much as I would like to agree with you, I cannot see how DL can do anything different without being potentially divisive to some customers. There is a place for the religious dimension of Christmas, but DL is not that place IMO.

The most important element in a democracy is that ability to accommodate each other’s personal beliefs in public. Another important element is that we develop a shared sense, a sense of community, that celebrates that many ideas can exist in the same country. We need reminders that as different as we may be, our common bonds are more important than our individual differences. Almost every society has some sort of “year end” celebration. It’s a profoundly American solution that these have now become “the holidays”. It allows each of us to celebrate that time of year through our own beliefs and at the same time allows everyone to celebrate together.

I think “Happy Holidays” is one our nation’s great strengths.

It’s elsewhere in the world, the places where people are “enraged” because their particular ideas aren’t given precedence over all others, that have yet to learn to live with each other. Disneyland, of all places, should allow all people to feel that they are welcomed – at any time of year. To demand otherwise runs counter to everything the place stands for.

Another Voice said:
It’s elsewhere in the world, the places where people are “enraged” because their particular ideas aren’t given precedence over all others, that have yet to learn to live with each other. Disneyland, of all places, should allow all people to feel that they are welcomed – at any time of year. To demand otherwise runs counter to everything the place stands for.

Amen!

Disneyland1084 said:
EVERY HOLIDAY of every religion should be acknowledged.

Yeah, but MerryChristmasHappyKwanzaHappyHaunnakaCongratulationsforbeingBuddistPraiseAllahandbecausewemissedyouinthespringHappyPassoverandEasterandwehopeyouhadafulfillingRoshAShannafaithfulRamadanandHappySaintPatrick'sDay would really tend to back up the ticket turnstiles since the cast members like to greet everyone. Happy Holidays really is a lot more efficient.

Disneyland1084 said:
At Christmas time, I want people to wish me a Merry Christmas.
Then do so! It's a free country! The only restriction I know of for this is that your employer may ask that you use a more generic greeting out of respect for co-workers or others with whom you come in contact during the course of your work.
Disneyland1084 said:
The United States is a predominantly Christian country. If Disneyland has Christmas decorations, why not say Merry Christmas? That's how it used to be. True, other holidays are being celebrated at the same time of year, but you don't see Disneyland putting up Hanukkah decorations. And that's too bad. Every holiday should be acknowledged. Saying "Happy Holidays" is just too impersonal to me. I should of said "annoyed" instead of engraged. It's a better way to put it.
Thank you for saying what you did. I was really wondering at your first post where this was headed, and whether I wanted to respond or not, but I'm glad I did. I would not mind a bit, either, if DL put up Hanukkah decorations or those of another religion.

To me, the operative word in your second sentence is 'predominantly'. As in 'we are not all Christians.' If you lived in a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu country, would you feel compelled to go around wishing everyone a Merry Christmas? Or because you would be in the minority, would you issue a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu greeting? A catch-all "Happy Holidays" greeting? Or no greeting at all? To me, the last of these options would be the most sad and impersonal.

We live in a country where people are free to practice their religion, regardless of the dominant religion of our culture. Though I am not a religious person, I do celebrate Christmas, and if I know for sure that another person celebrates Christmas as well, I wish them a Merry Christmas. If I am unsure or know for certain that a person does not celebrate Christmas, I wish that person Happy Holidays. I do not wish that person 'Happy' whatever-their-religion's-celebration, because I don't want it to come across as insincere in any way.

In general, I am in favor of the effort to make our society more 'inclusive' of those who are not with the majority, whether it be religion, culture, ethnicity, whatever. I don't hold with the notion that we should continue doing something because "that's the way it's always been." We are moving toward a more global view of the world, and I think this issue is merely a reflection of that.

Happy Holidays is fine with me. That phrase is very fitting because it includes all religous affiliations, and even people who do not participate in organized religion...like myself.
Everyone should be included in the spirit of the season. Why would we want someone visiting Disneyland to feel left out?
Although the park decorates for Christmas which is a religous holiday...I think they are presenting Christmas from the idea that its a holiday to spread cheer, gifts, and love to family and friends. Thats how I was raised and thats how I celebrated all of my holidays.
So just because they decorate for Christmas...does not mean they are representing a particular religous viewpoint. Christmas has many meanings...therefore...Happy Holidays is perfect. In my opinion that is. :rolleyes:

Alex2kMommy said:
To me, the operative word in your second sentence is 'predominantly'. As in 'we are not all Christians.' If you lived in a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu country, would you feel compelled to go around wishing everyone a Merry Christmas? Or because you would be in the minority, would you issue a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu greeting? A catch-all "Happy Holidays" greeting? Or no greeting at all? To me, the last of these options would be the most sad and impersonal.

I totally agree! :)

Disneyland1084 said:
They would have absolutley NO reason to be offended by Merry Christmas,

And you have absolutely no reason to be offended by "Happy Holidays". How do you know those wishing you "Happy Holidays" are even Christian?

Disneyland1084 said:
and I know most of them don't care. If I visited Israel, I wouldn't care hearing people say Happy Hanukkah because it's THEIR own right too. The United States is becoming more diverse every day. EVERY HOLIDAY of every religion should be acknowledged. I just don't think "Happy Holidays" is a good way to do it. And I don't like how Christ is being taken out of the celebration of Christmas. :)

And I prefer my Christmas to have as little Jesus as possible. Good thing we live in a country where we can celebrate in the way that we want.

Yookeroo said:
And you have absolutely no reason to be offended by "Happy Holidays". How do you know those wishing you "Happy Holidays" are even Christian?

Yes I do. Nowadays if you go to Christmas tree lots, Christmas parties, etc....you see "Happy Holidays" signs. I doubt many Muslim or Jewish people go to Christmas tree lots. People are being forced to remove their Nativity scenes when it's their own right to display it. It doesn't seem fair to me. I just hate seeing Christ being taken out of the celebration of Christmas. :sunny:

Disneyland1084 said:
Yes I do. Nowadays if you go to Christmas tree lots, Christmas parties, etc....you see "Happy Holidays" signs. I doubt many Muslim or Jewish people go to Christmas tree lots. People are being forced to remove their Nativity scenes when it's their own right to display it.

This is a pretty outrageous statement. You have a cite to back it up?

Double Ditto with me. Happy Holidays shows respect for all races and religions. The decorations have no religious implication. It addresses the festivity of the season. Everyone who goes to the park at this time is simply celebrating their religion in whatever form they choose and the decorations celebrate the festivity. Addressing one specific religion would be an insult to all guests. I do agree however the meaning is so commercial, the good news is you at least have control over how you celebrate it and that truly is democracy.
This thread is completely in the wrong area however.

disneycutie84 said:
Happy Holidays is fine with me. That phrase is very fitting because it includes all religous affiliations, and even people who do not participate in organized religion...like myself.
Everyone should be included in the spirit of the season. Why would we want someone visiting Disneyland to feel left out?
Although the park decorates for Christmas which is a religous holiday...I think they are presenting Christmas from the idea that its a holiday to spread cheer, gifts, and love to family and friends. Thats how I was raised and thats how I celebrated all of my holidays.
So just because they decorate for Christmas...does not mean they are representing a particular religous viewpoint. Christmas has many meanings...therefore...Happy Holidays is perfect. In my opinion that is. :rolleyes:

I understand your point because Christmas for Christians is a religous holdiay and you obviously are in this group. I am too but I don't expect or demand that others see it my way and acknowledge that to me. At church I wish my friends Merry Christmas, elsewhere I say Happy Holidays. To me its about compromise and respecting others beliefs, that I cannot possibly know about unless I know them very well. Thankfully our country is mixture of many different religions, cultures and is also secular. I think the best way to fight this phenomenon is celebrate Christmas, yourself, personally, in the way that is fitting for you and your family. Put a manger scene in your front yard, make your cards say Merry Christmas, go to church on Christmas Eve, tell your family you are sponsoring a Salvation Army family this year instead of exchanging gifts, things of that nature. Expecting the whole world to make December about Christ is really spinning your wheels and will only diminish your joy during that very special time. To me and my family, Christmas is Christmas and we celebrate it as such. But we don't expect others to share our views and don't get offended when we are wished a Happy Holiday. Frankly, this day in age if anyone on the street is kind enough to get off their cell phone long enough to wish me a Happy anything, I am thrilled. And incidentally, the only time I see "people" being forced to remove their nativity scenes is when they are displayed on a public, government building. Here in Denver a debate raged for years over the display of a nativity scene on our city and county building. It was shame because both sides got heated and the meaning of the holidays, be it Christmas or whatever was lost in the tussle.

I don't see that any of this has a thing to do with Disneyland planning but I will say that to any who are planning a Disney trip during mid November through New Years, its a magical time to be there! And to the OP if you post this on the Community Board you will get a broad range of answers that might be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter