I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got almost all the way through the CIP app about 6 months ago when I read that statement and decided not to go through with it. I think everyone justifies it by saying everything is a "business" expense. Is your business out of the home? Then yes utilities are an expense. Do you make calls then yes your phone is an expense. Do you take "clients" out to eat? Then yes restaurants are an expense. Etc etc etc I think I have convinced myself it is OK. I plan on going through with the app very soon.
You’re getting the hang of it but let’s go next level. Dentist bill? Employee health care/benefit. Vet bill? Employee benefit. (Or company mascot!)... Let’s do a challenge! Can you think of any expense the rest of us can’t justify as a business expense to a credit card company?

I got almost all the way through the CIP app about 6 months ago when I read that statement and decided not to go through with it. I think everyone justifies it by saying everything is a "business" expense. Is your business out of the home? Then yes utilities are an expense. Do you make calls then yes your phone is an expense. Do you take "clients" out to eat? Then yes restaurants are an expense. Etc etc etc I think I have convinced myself it is OK. I plan on going through with the app very soon.
I might be too much of a rule follower :-(.

You’re getting the hang of it but let’s go next level. Dentist bill? Employee health care/benefit. Vet bill? Employee benefit. (Or company mascot!)... Let’s do a challenge! Can you think of any expense the rest of us can’t justify as a business expense to a credit card company?
My daughter’s dance class?
Swim lessons for my kids?
I’m sure you can come up with an explanation but they might be a stretch, lol!

I might be too much of a rule follower :-(.

Lol. That is exactly what I said about myself 6 months ago. And now I have been saying for over a month I am going to get the CIP but still haven’t done it. Maybe I am all talk in my head now but still afraid to pull the trigger. I did just finish the SPG biz. But I don’t remember seeing that wording for AMEX. I did have company health benefits (dental bills) and company mascot (vet) bills on that card. So I guess the AMEX made me less afraid of the rules.

My daughter’s dance class?
Swim lessons for my kids?
I’m sure you can come up with an explanation but they might be a stretch, lol!
That’s a part of my “Fitness For You and Yours” employee benefits package ;)

In all seriousness though, do you (or any other vets) remember any credit card companies going after customers for non-business charges? I thought the warnings were more just warnings mandated by the gov’t since biz cards have fewer protections than personal cards than a “gotchca! We’re yanking your bonus now!” clause?

That’s a part of my “Fitness For You and Yours” employee benefits package ;)

In all seriousness though, do you (or any other vets) remember any credit card companies going after customers for non-business charges? I thought the warnings were more just warnings mandated by the gov’t since biz cards have fewer protections than personal cards than a “gotchca! We’re yanking your bonus now!” clause?
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s about the protections. They don’t care what you put on the card and I’d guess that off the record they would say they want the volume and swipes.

Gahhhhh, I am still a chicken. I just spent about 20 minutes going through the CIP application. Took me forever to pick my business type. Then I get to the very end where it says i agree this is for business purposes only and I will not use for personal use, blah blah blah, and I can not do it. I just shut it all down. I know everyone is doing it, but I have a problem with following rules. lol Other ideas for me?

@eeyoreland this was my post from December. So I feel you.

@eeyoreland this was my post from December. So I feel you.
@eeyoreland @WVMomof3; If it makes you guys feel any better...We got 39 cards before I jumped into business cards (I started dabbling in churning in 2011 and jumped in full force in early 2015, from there it took over 18 months to try for a biz card). It just didn't feel right to me initially either, but as I read more on it, I gained a comfort level. 10 of our last 24 cards have now been business cards.

I don't say this to try to make you feel comfortable about it. Nobody can tell you how to feel about something in this game, just do what you guys think is right :) I just figured I'd point out that even a "veteran" such as myself had an internal struggle on this one.

Last edited:
I pause at the Biz language too but then I step back and think, realistically, they know and/or don't really care. Otherwise, why are they approving @amalone1013 's DH with $150 in revenue for a card with 5k in spend req for a bonus... and then give the bonus. If I'm spending 5k to make $150 I'm doing something wrong :scratchin Even if you're counting projected income, who goes out to spend 5k in 3 months on a business after only bringing in $150 in the last year? I'm sure it could happen but the percentage has to be low, so what bean counter in his right mind would trust you with credit? (And I'm not picking on your/DH's application, amalone1013, I just think it's an awesome example! I'm still awesomely impressed with your figures and success in getting Biz cards with them, truly. It gives me hope :) )
On the AmEx side, they seem to have always been biz lenient as I constantly got Biz card offers when I was only 20 or 21 and still in college. I guess they were trying to get in early for when I graduated and set up an office right away :rolleyes: If only I knew then what I know now I could have had a lengthy business credit history too :teeth:

I pause at the Biz language too but then I step back and think, realistically, they know and/or don't really care. Otherwise, why are they approving @amalone1013 's DH with $150 in revenue for a card with 5k in spend req for a bonus... and then give the bonus. If I'm spending 5k to make $150 I'm doing something wrong :scratchin Even if you're counting projected income, who goes out to spend 5k in 3 months on a business after only bringing in $150 in the last year? I'm sure it could happen but the percentage has to be low, so what bean counter in his right mind would trust you with credit? (And I'm not picking on your/DH's application, amalone1013, I just think it's an awesome example! I'm still awesomely impressed with your figures and success in getting Biz cards with them, truly. It gives me hope :) )
On the AmEx side, they seem to have always been biz lenient as I constantly got Biz card offers when I was only 20 or 21 and still in college. I guess they were trying to get in early for when I graduated and set up an office right away :rolleyes: If only I knew then what I know now I could have had a lengthy business credit history too :teeth:
Hey, examples like mine are what made me more comfortable, for all of the reasons you stated!,

Rookie mistake: booked a round trip flight on Alaska using URs. At least it’s only a 90 min flight. Had I booked my return trip separately I could have refunded my return ticket + my extra legroom upgrade to My Wallet with Alaska and then booked it in first class for like $5 in taxes and fees tonight. Alas the outbound flight has since jumped $30 & since I have to re-book the whole RT ticket it makes the entire thing not worth it in my travel budget for such a short flight. Mad at myself because in the back of my head I KNEW not to book a round trip ticket! (Granted the refundable more than 60 days out part stops in like 2 weeks with AS but until then this reminder is relevant :) )

Just wanted to report that I got my Marriott Premier Plus card in the mail, finally. I was impatient though, so I made a $10 Amazon purchase with my premier card a few days ago, since I assumed the number would stay the same. It did. The transaction posted on May 18:

Rewards earned with this transaction
+ Bonus on Premier Plus Upgrade
+ 2X Points on all other purchases
Total Points

The Marriott points haven't posted to my account yet, but I assume that they will. So I plan to now cancel the card before the end of the month to get my AF refunded. That will be before my statement posts at the start of June. I will report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Second ticket for NYC dropped in price again this morning so my mom and I will be flying from RIC to EWR for $340 round trip! Paid cash for those tickets on my new CIP and the Marriott Marquis will be on points. Now to figure out which show to see!

I need DH’s CIP to arrive, I should have had him call to have it expidited. I have about $2000 that I need to purchase but I’m holding off until the card comes. He was approved Tuesday, I really thought it would come yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter