I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have never stayed there either! We did stay at POR once but never made it over to FQ. I've always read good things and wanted to try it so I'm excited just for the one night and see how we like it. And YES, get immersed for the night!!
My favorite place! It was so sweet before everyone knew how great it was. Eventually the secret was out, which prompted WDW to start excluding it from all the good promos because they knew it would fill up anyway. We used to go every year for free dining and stay at POFQ. Deal of the century!

I haven’t read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been answered. I saw a commercial last night for a Capitol One card that awarded 10 miles for every $1 spent. Anyone have any info on the good/bad of this card? We live in the Midwest and only have united and delta We can do Southwest/frontier/jetblue if we drive six hours but earning miles where we could fly out of or town would be awesome.

In my head 10 miles per dollar is 25,000 miles for every $2500. That’s enouhh for typically one ticket on united

I haven’t read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been answered. I saw a commercial last night for a Capitol One card that awarded 10 miles for every $1 spent. Anyone have any info on the good/bad of this card? We live in the Midwest and only have united and delta We can do Southwest/frontier/jetblue if we drive six hours but earning miles where we could fly out of or town would be awesome.

In my head 10 miles per dollar is 25,000 miles for every $2500. That’s enouhh for typically one ticket on united

That would be amazing, I haven't heard of that! But are you sure it wasn't the Capital One Venture offering 10x miles on $1 spent specifically at Hotels . com?

ETA: Also, I think that even though Cap 1 calls them "miles," they are really just statement credits where 1 mile = 1 cent. For example, the miles are not transferable to United for booking as an award ticket. Instead, you'd buy a United ticket, and could redeem 25,000 miles as $250 statement credit.

Last edited:
I'm with you. I only fly other airlines for work now and it drives me batty how they do boarding. It takes twice as long as SW and invariably I manage to get on flights where they still reseat people after. I was so happy a couple years ago when they added SW to the travel portal we have to use. I still don't always get to pick SW but that's my first try :) They are certainly not luxurious but they seem the most efficient.
I had a boss in my old line of work who loved USair and hated the Southwest cattle call (as he called it). So when he traveled with me we'd have to take USair... The boarding would start and it would of course be Super Mega Platinum first :crazy2:, then Super Gold Elite, Silver, etc... Every time they called another boarding group the hoard of people would take one step closer to the gate agent :tiptoe:. :confused3 Finally they'd get to group 37 or something ridiculous:rotfl:(which included me) and it felt like Walmart on black Friday :scared1:. Elbows thrown...body odor galore...personal space = 0 :crowded:...and then we get on the jet bridge and stand...and wait :coffee::rolleyes1. Of course I'm exaggerating slightly with this story but I for one have learned to prefer the cattle call :worship:to the stampede :laughing:.

That would be amazing, I haven't heard of that! But are you sure it wasn't the Capital One Venture offering 10x miles on $1 spent specifically at Hotels . com?

I am not sure it wasn’t that. I honestly only heard the 10 for every $1 part. If that’s the case I guess my dreams are crushed. Lol

I am not sure it wasn’t that. I honestly only heard the 10 for every $1 part. If that’s the case I guess my dreams are crushed. Lol
I'm pretty sure I saw that commercial during March Madness and it was the hotels.com thing. Sorry but I think dreams may be crushed :( haha.

Oh and I'll be in the Orlando airport in two days. I just cannot wait to see the fountains, the Earport, feel the energy there...We don't get to go to the parks but get this, I decided to do one of those Hotwire Hotdeals (could NOT decide on an offsite hotel for just one night to save my life) so I decided to let Hotwire decide for me. I got POFQ! For $116 tax and all. Sorry if I already posted this here but I was shocked and I'm excited. It's only one night as we are in a different hotel each night but thrilled to just get be at Disney for a night.

Awesome! I got it last year on there for $82. I knew with great certainty it was PoFQ ahead but it was one of the opaque bookings. Been checking again for May-aug hoping I snag it. I’ve only seen $200+ So far. Gonna keep checking before I blow URs on the trip.

And beignat pofq will be great for a dose of wdw, even without parks.

Speaking of Southwest, there is a new promo! 2x RR points on paid flights taken between now and June 13. You can find it and activate it from the Promotions tab when logged into your RR account.
I'll be flying with them in that timeframe, but using RR, so I can't take advantage.

ETA: If my calculations are correct, you'd get 12 points per dollar on any Wanna Get Away fare, plus another 2 ppd if using the Premier card. Am I right, @SouthFayetteFan ?

Last edited:
I had a boss in my old line of work who loved USair and hated the Southwest cattle call (as he called it). So when he traveled with me we'd have to take USair... The boarding would start and it would of course be Super Mega Platinum first :crazy2:, then Super Gold Elite, Silver, etc... Every time they called another boarding group the hoard of people would take one step closer to the gate agent :tiptoe:. :confused3 Finally they'd get to group 37 or something ridiculous:rotfl:(which included me) and it felt like Walmart on black Friday :scared1:. Elbows thrown...body odor galore...personal space = 0 :crowded:...and then we get on the jet bridge and stand...and wait :coffee::rolleyes1. Of course I'm exaggerating slightly with this story but I for one have learned to prefer the cattle call :worship:to the stampede :laughing:.

OMG we may have been on the same flight! That's exactly how I remember my last flight on USAir :lmao:Because we're only allowed to fly steerage for work, I was of course in the very last boarding group. And insult to injury my carry on had to be checked because they're now out of carryon space by group 3 and no they won't gate check it I have to waste time picking it up at baggage claim:headache:
(slightly OT, but I totally don't get everyone who hops up out of their seat when boarding begins just to stand there for 20 minutes waiting until your group is called. I noticed some people who boarded with me had hopped up and barricaded the entry to the gate agent right after they called the Super Mega Platinum Elites. I'm going to be standing long enough in the jetway and the aisles, (to get to my assigned seat!) I don't need the extra before handing over my boarding pass too)

Awesome! I got it last year on there for $82. I knew with great certainty it was PoFQ ahead but it was one of the opaque bookings. Been checking again for May-aug hoping I snag it. I’ve only seen $200+ So far. Gonna keep checking before I blow URs on the trip.

And beignat pofq will be great for a dose of wdw, even without parks.

I was pretty sure it was a Disney hotel but I wasn't 100% which one, though it said the 'last person got POFQ'. I'm pretty sure BLT was coming up for what would have been $210 walk out, and as tempting as that was, I was afraid it would make me really sad.

I have never had one of their beignets!! I cannot wait :D

Oh and I did read somewhere here on the DIS, someone said they got Dolphin for $70 night (obviously before all the fees and probably taxes) for Sept. Your $82 for POFQ was great! I was psyched about $116 (can't remember the before tax price...I think $92 maybe).

OMG we may have been on the same flight! That's exactly how I remember my last flight on USAir :lmao:Because we're only allowed to fly steerage for work, I was of course in the very last boarding group. And insult to injury my carry on had to be checked because they're now out of carryon space by group 3 and no they won't gate check it I have to waste time picking it up at baggage claim:headache:
(slightly OT, but I totally don't get everyone who hops up out of their seat when boarding begins just to stand there for 20 minutes waiting until your group is called. I noticed some people who boarded with me had hopped up and barricaded the entry to the gate agent right after they called the Super Mega Platinum Elites. I'm going to be standing long enough in the jetway and the aisles, (to get to my assigned seat!) I don't need the extra before handing over my boarding pass too)
Agree with all of this!! :thumbsup2

I don't want to turn this into an "I love SW" thread today, lol but the carry-on space thing is so nice with them too. I don't think I've ever seen them have to check a bag due to running out of space (only times I've seen it is when somebody brought on a bag that was 2x too big, lol). With the free bags policy, people aren't trying to avoid baggage fees by bringing all of their possessions on the plane. I love that even when you get on the plane late you can usually find a good spot in the overhead bin if you need it.

I used to wonder why people bull-rushed the podium at other airlines but then I figured out it was the overhead bin space issue.

We have never stayed there either! We did stay at POR once but never made it over to FQ. I've always read good things and wanted to try it so I'm excited just for the one night and see how we like it. And YES, get immersed for the night!!

This is just you and DH, correct? If so, try to swing the carriage ride...assuming they still do it. It is over at POR in the evening. Walk over there along the river path to board your carriage. So sweet and romantic at dusk.

ETA: found it. They still do it. And $55 is a bargain for Disney add ons.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/carriage-rides/

THIS!! I'm going to be honest, I've become almost downright rude about snapping at people who get up too early and then want to block the jetway to everyone who should be getting on earlier. It is extremely frustrating, especially if you're traveling with anyone who is handicapped and therefore you need potentially additional space and time to get on the plane. You're already at the gate which means the plane is not going to leave without you as long as you don't leave the general vicinity of boarding. Why do you need to stand on top of the gate agent?!

Plus, I've never understood why all of these people are so desperate to get on the plane earlier... why do you want to sit cramped in a sardine tin for longer than necessary? Even if you're mega diamond platinum elite (to quote @SouthFayetteFan), my idea of a great time is not to sit on a plane, no matter how big or luxurious my seating arrangements are.

This is just you and DH, correct? If so, try to swing the carriage ride...assuming they still do it. It is over at POR in the evening. Walk over there along the river path to board your carriage. So sweet and romantic at dusk.

ETA: found it. They still do it. And $55 is a bargain for Disney add ons.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/carriage-rides/

Oooh yes, good idea! We did this and enjoyed it. You get a discount with a Disney Visa too :D

Pretty positive this for hotels.com only. I considered it for myself since I stay at a lot of off brand hotels on my travels that I can book through hotels.com. I've also heard this card can be very hard to qualify for even with a great credit score. I'm pretty sure someone here applied and was denied.

I was pretty sure it was a Disney hotel but I wasn't 100% which one, though it said the 'last person got POFQ'. I'm pretty sure BLT was coming up for what would have been $210 walk out, and as tempting as that was, I was afraid it would make me really sad.

I have never had one of their beignets!! I cannot wait :D

Oh and I did read somewhere here on the DIS, someone said they got Dolphin for $70 night (obviously before all the fees and probably taxes) for Sept. Your $82 for POFQ was great! I was psyched about $116 (can't remember the before tax price...I think $92 maybe).

I'm so jealous!! What an awesome deal! I haven't stayed at either but am really considering POR for 2019 trip since it seems like POFQ is pretty solidly excluded from free dining now.

August confirmation of a combined program is starting to become a reality...

"Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will be combining into a single program in August. Here's what I know:

• All members will earn 10 points per dollar spent
  • There will be five status tiers:
    • Silver status at 10 nights
    • Gold status at 25 nights
    • Platinum status at 50 nights
    • Platinum Premier status at 75 nights
    • Ambassador program at 100 nights and $20,000 in spend
  • Free breakfast (unknown which status level) will be "expanded to 25 brands and resorts."
so far on whats reported.

10 points per dollar makes me think the forced 1-->3 point transfer will happen.
it was 20 stays for gold status, so im guessing they made that a bit harder to get.
everything else seems about the same.

We've all been there :) it's just for hotels.com purchases. A more important thing for you though: "miles" doesn't mean what you think it means. Capital one miles are not Discover miles are not United miles are not Delta miles, etc. Miles/Points that transfer to other mileage/point programs are unique- off the top of my head right now those are Chase ultimate reward points, American Express membership rewards points and Barclays miles. Each only transfer if you have the right premium card (read: credit card that you pay an annual fee for) and each only transfer to certain companies they've partnered with. And that's not the whole story! Often times miles don't transfer at a 1:1 ratio. Chase's claim to fame is a 1:1 transfer ratio. Amex has all sorts of transfer ratios but periodically runs specials on certain ones bringing the rate down, Barclays recently came out with some pitiful looking transfer ratios where it will cost between 1.4-1.7 Barclay miles for 1 airline mile (of their select airline partners). (Fwiw- Cap 1 miles were never going to transfer to United anyway.) It's enough to leave anyone's head spinning!

August confirmation of a combined program is starting to become a reality...

so far on whats reported.

10 points per dollar makes me think the forced 1-->3 point transfer will happen.
it was 20 stays for gold status, so im guessing they made that a bit harder to get.
everything else seems about the same.

Why would all members earn at the same rate? That seems odd. Is that how it is now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter