I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I think I calculated that if I spend $15k on the personal, that should net me 11 elite nights from spend plus 1 free Cat 1-4 night. Is the 1 annual free night that comes with the personal WOH issued at the beginning of the card year or at the end? So, if I use the 2 free nights, that is 13 elite nights.
Yes, $15K on the personal will get you to 11 elite nights. The Cat 1-4 FNC that comes from holding the card gets issued on your anniversary and expires 12 mo. from issuance, so you won't have it for 2024. The Cat 1-4 FNC from spending $15K has a 6 mo. expiry so it's possible you could use that this year.

For every 5 nights I spend in a Hyatt I can get decrease my needed spend on the Biz WOH by $10k.
Yes, this is true. Also you'll be getting (at least) 1 Hyatt point per dollar spend, so if you spend $90K on the Biz WoH you also have 90K Hyatt points from spending to redeem...if you have cheaper Hyatts nearby where you can spend 3500 or 6500 points (off peak Cat 1 or 2) for an elite night that might be something to consider for a mattress run (toward the end of the year) if needed to reach Globalist.

All that said, I have a spreadsheet (of course), where I keep track of progress towards Globalist, and so far in our travel plans this year I don't think we'll be actually be using those Globalist benefits all that much. Maybe I will break even on the fees incurred to reach Globalist (e.g. Plastiq fees), but I'm not planning on a GH Kauai or Andaz Papagayo trip over the holidays this year like I have for the past several years so I'm kind of meh on having Globalist this year so far. It was great for 2022 & 2023 though.

And the opportunity cost of not putting that $105K of spend on a simple 2% card is $2100 - will you get $2100 worth out of spending on the WoH and Biz WoH cards (I'm not accounting for the value of the SUB on the cards since you don't need to spend that much to reach the MSR). I'll echo @wanderlust7 : does it even make sense for to go for Globalist?

While I have a lot of organic spend, I think I would need $120k in spend on the Biz card to get Globalist? :crazy2:

I figured I could speed things up and also require less overall spend by getting some of those elite nights covered by the personal WOH plus the SUB and maybe do some trips and mattress runs to get it done.

I think I calculated that if I spend $15k on the personal, that should net me 11 elite nights from spend plus 1 free Cat 1-4 night. Is the 1 annual free night that comes with the personal WOH issued at the beginning of the card year or at the end? So, if I use the 2 free nights, that is 13 elite nights.

I would put the rest of my spend this year on the Biz card and lay off trying to get more SUBs since the INKs are getting harder anyways.

After the personal WOH spend of $15k, I would need to spend $90K ($40k on top of the $50k needed to get the best benefits on the card) on the Biz plus at least 2 additional nights at a Hyatt to get to 60 nights for Globalist.

For every 5 nights I spend in a Hyatt (after 2 using free certificates from personal WOH and the 2 needed to get to 60 elite nights per original calculations), I can get decrease my needed spend on the Biz WOH by $10k.

Did I do the math correctly? My brain is about to explode. 🤯 I tried to talk it through with my DH and he thought I was crazy!

I think your math is good except for the anniversary free night in year 1, but as @wanderlust7 said - are you sure it makes sense to go for Globalist?

I can spend 30 - 40 nights a year at Hyatts and use the credit cards to top up as needed for Globalist. From your post above, it looks like you have barely any Hyatt stays. Of course, if you think you will get great use from the benefits then go for it with spend. However, if you think you will only spend a few nights a year at Hyatts to reap the benefits then you may want to consider what you are giving up. For example, you are talking over $100k of spend - that could be a lot of SUBs you are forgoing in pursuit of Globalist.

Or - maybe, like me with college tuition, your current spend outweighs your ability to get new cards so throwing the extra at the Hyatt cards is less of an issue. Nonetheless, you want ensure you have the potential for some good trips next year to get value out of Globalist.

Also, as you mentioned spending the $50k to get the best benefits by which I assume you mean the 10% points rebate on stays - that only applies to the rest of the calendar year so if you don't have many stays planned this year it won't be much of a benefit.

Last edited:
And the opportunity cost of not putting that $105K of spend on a simple 2% card is $2100 - will you get $2100 worth out of spending on the WoH and Biz WoH cards (I'm not accounting for the value of the SUB on the cards since you don't need to spend that much to reach the MSR). I'll echo @wanderlust7 : does it even make sense for to go for Globalist?

So just a thought on this - the Hyatt cards also have 2% categories and lets say 20% of the proposed spend is at 2% then the $105k would yield 126,000 Hyatt points. I conservatively value my Hyatt points @ 1.8cpp, but often manage to get 3cpp or more. So those 126,000 points could be worth $3,500 or more IF you have the stays to take advantage. Throw in free breakfasts, parking, waived resort fees and upgrades and that value multiplies rapidly.

Basically, it all boils down to how many stays at Hyatts you think are in your future as to whether it is all worthwhile.

I am hitting a brick wall! Chase Ink denial, Amex pop-up, BofA Alaska denial, and Citi AA denial. I think I've about hit all of them. :( The universe is telling me to cool off, but I have summer camp to pay for next month. I hate having all that spend and no SUB!
CapOne? Or just do the VGC deals on the CIC maybe. It's easier said than done where I live though. They really limit those GCs and there are too many people playing this game nearby.

While I have a lot of organic spend, I think I would need $120k in spend on the Biz card to get Globalist? :crazy2:

I figured I could speed things up and also require less overall spend by getting some of those elite nights covered by the personal WOH plus the SUB and maybe do some trips and mattress runs to get it done.

I would put the rest of my spend this year on the Biz card and lay off trying to get more SUBs since the INKs are getting harder anyways.

After the personal WOH spend of $15k, I would need to spend $90K ($40k on top of the $50k needed to get the best benefits on the card) on the Biz plus at least 2 additional nights at a Hyatt to get to 60 nights for Globalist.

For every 5 nights I spend in a Hyatt (after 2 using free certificates from personal WOH and the 2 needed to get to 60 elite nights per original calculations), I can get decrease my needed spend on the Biz WOH by $10k.

Did I do the math correctly? My brain is about to explode. 🤯 I tried to talk it through with my DH and he thought I was crazy! :rotfl:

Hyatt Gloabalist is great, but I wouldn't spend that much on a Hyatt card to get it unless you can't find any SUBs to get. Also, it really depends on how many nights you're planning to stay at a Hyatt this year and also after you reach Globalist. The perks are great, but if you aren't spending a lot of time there it would cheaper to just pay for your breakfast. Just my opinion (and we do have Globalist here and really value it, but it sounds like you aren't planning to really stay at any Hyatts this year so... ) Also important to remember that Hyatt doesn't have a large footprint, so there are times when I'd like to stay at a Hyatt but just can't find one near where I want to go.

Ugh, 5/15... was really hoping for a bit later than that. We have a post-cruise stay at a SLH in Barcelona a week after that date. I guess cancel and stay at the less-convenient Regency (I want the night to credit for status)

Is it one that's also a Mr and Mrs Smith? Points or cash? If cash, there's a promo to buy Mr and Mrs Smith gift cards. You'd get 1 elite night per $300 GC, promo expiring 3/31.

Sorry to see all the Ink denial DPs. Feels worse than I thought.

Has anyone been approved for an Ink in the last month or so?
I was approved in January, and DH was approved in February. We stick to the 4/yr guidance, and I never keep more than 4 Inks open at a time. Still getting instant approval. Also I keep our personal lines of credit low. Only keep $10k on the Preferred/Reserve card. Every other card is $2500 or less.

We finished our current spends and now we still have another 3 months before we are both back under 5/24 and can make some planned moves around that. I am hoping Amex hits us with another upgrade offer, maybe on P2s green?!

Question as I debate how to go about being under 5/24- we will be eligible for the Sapphire products again (4 years was Jan) but are either worth it if we hold the Cap X and the Plat?

Amex dropped a $20 credit onto my Marriott card (used to be the Brilliant but product changed to the no fee last year). It credited me with what I think are small business credits (2 x $10) probably from 2020 or 2021. I can only check transactions for 2022-2024 without requesting statements and I had stopped using the card on a regular basis. I did not use the card at the business in the last three years, but I probably did use it there in 2020-2021.

Anyone else get unexpected Brilliant credits?

Wasn't worried about Ink velocity here as I only have had 2 in 2023 and 3 lifetime. But, I had been waiting for the 1 year mark in April to close one of them before possibly app'ing for another.

Now curious to see if I will get approved for another after I close it. Not in a hurry so I'll wait on my original schedule. No big spend until closer to summer when I have some windows to replace. Disney trips are all paid for mostly with gift cards and points.

Currently on the LNER (train) from Edinburgh to London. When I arrived at the station for my 9:30am train the boards noted that it had been cancelled. Proceeded to the LNER office in the station and got re-booked on the 10:30 train. Irritating as I could’ve spend a bit more time enjoying my room service breakfast at the Balmoral enjoying views of the Scott Monument and the Castle, but since the train was cancelled LNER will refund the cost of my first class ticket, so that’s a bonus. I used the extra hour to wander through Princes Street Gardens and take a few more pictures before heading back to the train station.

The Balmoral is such a nice hotel. Maybe one of my favorites ever. The staff were all lovely and my room, though a wee bit ‘compact’ was so nice. I didn’t care for the breakfast in the restaurant because the food arrived at my table cold, but room service breakfast arrived nice and hot and I love room service, so win! The Balmoral only charges 5pounds more for room service — if I return to Edinburgh I will definitely book through AmEx FHR to get breakfast included.

Yesterday afternoon I asked the front desk staff if I could see the JK Rowling suite and they obliged me with a little tour! It was very cool to see where she finished the last chapter of HP and the Deathly Hallows. A stay in the suite would be sublime, but at a rate of over 2,000pounds / night, it’s not in my future!

IMG_8371.jpeg
IMG_8378.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8373.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg
The desk JK Rowling finished writing the Deathly Hallows at — it remains unchanged.
IMG_8844.jpeg
Breakfast with a view!
IMG_8965.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was approved in January, and DH was approved in February. We stick to the 4/yr guidance, and I never keep more than 4 Inks open at a time. Still getting instant approval. Also I keep our personal lines of credit low. Only keep $10k on the Preferred/Reserve card. Every other card is $2500 or less.
I was approved for the Ink Cash in early January, right when they an announced the 90K points were going away. My first (and so-far, only) Ink. Good timing, because I had vacation spend in January/February. Normally, I wouldn’t have $6K spend in three months, except for fourth quarter with property taxes and Christmas spend.

I was looking at another Ink for 4th quarter, but I think I’ll go for the SW companion pass (end spend in January). Meaning, I’ll need another business card. I’m eyeballing either the IHG business or personal card (probably business). I can make minimum spend there. But with all the Chase business denials, I don’t want them to deny the SW business card. And the chance for the companion pass.

Decisions, decisions.

Approved for the Delta Gold business card from DHs support link….didn't realize in addition to the MR points he now will earn 10x on restaurants for 3 months.
I always put restaurant spend on my CSR…have to see if it makes sense to use his BBP instead.
The only thing I’ve used our MRs for is cashing out with gift cards so need to do the math and compare

Currently planning a one day Disney trip to eat all the things before I have my jaw surgery next month 😊
My daughter's recovery was shockingly easy and fast! She never really did much liquid only stuff.

I can't believe I'm having another major issue with my travel to Edinburgh tomorrow. I swear I'm having the worst luck lately. I got a text this morning that my flight tomorrow (which was YYZ-->JKF-->FRA-->EDI) had changed to YYZ-->EWR-->EDI. The reason: Lufthansa is staging a 2 day strike at FRA and MUC March 12 & 13th. It isn't enough that the ground crew and security at the same airports staged a strike March 7&8 (which shut down both airports). That's 4 days shut down in less than a week. CRAZY. Warning to anyone traveling through either airport this summer to watch the strikes at FRA and plan backup plans accordingly (unless the strikes are settled before then).

So I called AC regarding my re-booking and it's on a United 757 (2x2 in biz class -- suppose I can deal with it), BUT I don't have a seat. EF is showing 4A as blocked, the rest of the seats are occupied. I just checked in and I still wasn't able to get seat 4A, my boarding pass shows as GAT (which I'm going to guess is gate assignment). My huge issue is: what if I get to the gate and 4A has already been assigned? I cannot sit in economy class overnight (or I would rather not take the trip). I am on hold with United now to see if a CSR can unlock the seat for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Tagging @LilSweetPeaPhoto for any insiders insight.

I might change my plans to try to leave YYZ tonight (a flight departing at 10:20) -- I see that there is a direct flight to FRA tomorrow with an onwards connection to EDI, landing at 5:15. One seat remaining in biz class, but it sure beats not having any seat tomorrow....I think.
Sorry, I've been in back pain hell and just saw this. All I can say is chat or call. I never fly United. There is an app, staff traveler, that will show accurate loads, but I think you have to be affliated w/ the airlines to even get access. I don't remember what I sent to get approval, I'm sure it was a screenshot of my status, LOL.

I hope you got on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter