I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I booked our Hawaii flights on SW and have been checking and rebooking when the prices have dropped. Currently one of our flights has decreased by 572 points each (3 people) but when I try to change it I am not seeing the amount decreasing. The website is showing 0 for the difference in points. There are two other flights the same day at the new lower point amount. If I change to one of those flights today to save the points how soon can I switch the flight back to the one we really want? Do I have to wait a day or could I change it again later today? I realize that doing this there is a risk that when I switch it back it could be more than what I originally paid. Thanks for any info.

When you saw the decrease, did you search for 1 person or 3? Wondering if this is because the price is higher for 2nd or 3rd person.

I booked our Hawaii flights on SW and have been checking and rebooking when the prices have dropped. Currently one of our flights has decreased by 572 points each (3 people) but when I try to change it I am not seeing the amount decreasing. The website is showing 0 for the difference in points. There are two other flights the same day at the new lower point amount. If I change to one of those flights today to save the points how soon can I switch the flight back to the one we really want? Do I have to wait a day or could I change it again later today? I realize that doing this there is a risk that when I switch it back it could be more than what I originally paid. Thanks for any info.

You don't have to wait - you can change it again as soon as you like.

My first allegiant experience isn’t going so well. Trying to get ds from Lexington, KY to SW FL. Flight was delayed 3.5 hours, then they changed it to 2.5 hours. Everyone is boarded but now they can’t leave for 2 hours. He’s taking it better than I would have expected. Just making figuring out my day hard because I think by the time he gets here it will be too late to take him to the hospital.

I noticed the same thing starting on Thursday, using the change feature it wasn’t reducing the number of points, so I’ve been canceling and rebooking. Did just read on flyer talk that what you mentioned changing to another flight, then changing right back to the original flight works

I hope this means he won't go for another Chase card until September? That would be my risk tolerance.
Certainly not for a while! We have a large expense coming up in July which I will probably open a new card for. He had a lot in 2023 - Feb CIC, June CIU, June Barclays AA card, Sept CIP, Dec SW and CIC, applied in Jan 2024 for Bonvoy, got it in mid-Feb. On both the SW and Bonvoy personal cards, he heard nothing for 3 weeks and assumed it was denied, before they showed up.

Well about to be 2 weeks of back pain. Yet, I'm still nervous to cancel all the Ireland stuff. I'm like 99.9% sure we are cancelling. My daughter has accepted this. But yet, it still hurt to do this back to back years. Then there's the question of when to rebook, and how (aka waiting on Aer Lingus to become the site you book via, LOL).

I need to look at what options we may have for Spring Break. TBH, it'll likely be a last minute trip if we go. I would like to figure out my Delta credit and maybe pre-book/pay for something. IDK.

Off topic/on topic - just advice in case you're looking for unsolicited advice.
Ask for Gabapentin to get you through (get you by) if your herniation pain is due to the sciatic nerve being triggered by the bulging. Without going into all of the details, I had back surgery a couple of years ago for a badly herniated disc. I waited for 8 months to have the surgery because I was nervous of the surgery itself. I wish that I hadn't waited. But after the surgery - at six weeks - I still could not sit without pain. Enter Gabapentin. It's a nerve medication and it honestly worked for me right from the start.

Two things though-1) they may not issue Gabapentin if one has a history of depression or anxiety. Gabapentin is said to have some weird side effects sometimes including bad thoughts. I only had a bit of "slowness" or drowsiness as an effect, but my cousin was given Gabapentin when she had cancer (metastatic cancer, and she has since passed) and experienced no side effects from it. 2) at the same time that I had a back herniation my coworker had a bulge. His bulge eventually resolved on it's own, but he did experience a lot of pain until that happened. Herniations don't un-herniate, but bulges can eventually resolve themselves. Also, one more thing, I'd go to an anti inflammatory diet until that resolves. Anything you can do to reduce the swelling in your body will help.
My daughter has left over Gaba from her jaw surgery. TBH, she used to take it off label for anxiety! But when I read what it can do I took her off it. I should probably take her leftovers, LOL. Maybe see if I have some of her old pills too. I'm over this pain. I've been home 2 weeks now. I've tried to rest, I hurt. Heat, I hurt. Ice, I hurt. I try walking, I hurt. Nothing is improving this!

Anyone know if you have the WOH (Biz) card, if it shows up anywhere on the Hyatt website?

I was finally approved for the Biz WOH card after uploading proof of address documentation :banana: :banana: but when I called to have it expedited, the Chase Rep said the card needed to be verified by their partner (Hyatt) before it could be expedited and to call back again in a couple days to see if the verification was done yet, at which time I could ask for it be expedited.

I see the card on the Chase website already but was wondering if there was a way to see it linked on the Hyatt website before I take the time to call Chase again. Or perhaps I have to manually add the new Biz WOH card to the Hyatt website as my primary form of payment AFTER I receive the card and that is the only way it is visible on the Hyatt website?

TIA!

When you saw the decrease, did you search for 1 person or 3? Wondering if this is because the price is higher for 2nd or 3rd person.
I was only trying to change the flight for 1 person. I did a search withought being signed in for 3 and got the same lower price.
You don't have to wait - you can change it again as soon as you like.
I noticed the same thing starting on Thursday, using the change feature it wasn’t reducing the number of points, so I’ve been canceling and rebooking. Did just read on flyer talk that what you mentioned changing to another flight, then changing right back to the original flight works
Thanks for the information. I will go ahead and change the flights and then change back. It's not a lot of points saved but I'll take what I can get.

Anyone know if you have the WOH (Biz) card, if it shows up anywhere on the Hyatt website?

I was finally approved for the Biz WOH card after uploading proof of address documentation :banana: :banana: but when I called to have it expedited, the Chase Rep said the card needed to be verified by their partner (Hyatt) before it could be expedited and to call back again in a couple days to see if the verification was done yet, at which time I could ask for it be expedited.

I see the card on the Chase website already but was wondering if there was a way to see it linked on the Hyatt website before I take the time to call Chase again. Or perhaps I have to manually add the new Biz WOH card to the Hyatt website as my primary form of payment AFTER I receive the card and that is the only way it is visible on the Hyatt website?

TIA!

I think the Biz WOH card grants immediate Discoverist Status?

So, poking around the Hyatt website, I am not Discoverist yet, so I am guessing that I will need to wait a few days for Hyatt to verify the card before it can be sent out. Since the earliest Chase will be able to expedite it is on Monday anyways, I guess the earliest I should call is Monday.

I am always soooooo anxious to start on a MSR for a new SUB... :rotfl:

Never close a card before the one year anniversary; that's a major red flag for cc issuers. Many of us keep them open longer, especially if they have no (or low) AF. You can cancel after the first anniversary, but within 30 days and you don't have to pay the new AF.

The normal CP requirements require you to earn 135,000 miles. Upon reaching that amt, you will have the CP for the remainder of that calendar year and the whole next calendar year. Therefore, it is best to earn the points as close as possible to the start of a new year. You can only have one personal SW card at a time, so you have to get one personal and one biz card; or do an MDD to get 2 personal cards. If you have a P2, one of you gets a card, then supports the other one for their application. Then P2 can support P1 when they apply for their second card. This allows you to earn extra pts from the support links, but this plan also assumes there is no MDD involved so you have time to do the supports for ea other (see first page for MDD info).

Currently, there is a special offer to earn a CP until Feb 28, 2025 + 30K pts by getting only 1 card and spending $4K. That offer ends March 11.

We have a private group on Reddit. You can request to join that if you are interested (I can't remember who can add you but someone here will chime in with that info). There is some cc info over there, but we mainly use it to support each other when we apply for new card but don't have a support link from a P2.
I have been unable to find this group on Reddit. Can someone help me with this?

I think the Biz WOH card grants immediate Discoverist Status?

So, poking around the Hyatt website, I am not Discoverist yet, so I am guessing that I will need to wait a few days for Hyatt to verify the card before it can be sent out. Since the earliest Chase will be able to expedite it is on Monday anyways, I guess the earliest I should call is Monday.

I am always soooooo anxious to start on a MSR for a new SUB... :rotfl:

It might be 48 hours to verify, so Monday should be good to ask. You can SM if you don't feel like calling.

Booked our Universal trip with URs and my CSR. I can't believe I've been in this group for years and this is the first time I've utilized the chase portal and the 1.5x points! Not gonna lie though, it's hard seeing those point balances drop.

My only worry now is how we're going to feel about going to Orlando and not doing Disney. We're definitely HP fans so that part will be fun, but are we going to be sorry we didn't do a split stay?

DH had applied for a personal SW in December, go the 7-10 day message, so he went for an Ink (instant approval). Then the SW card showed up 3 weeks later. In Jan he was on the Marriott website using a FNC from a canceled Bonvoy card, and they invited him to apply for a new Bonvoy. Another 7-10 day message. This one also randomly showed up in the mail 3 weeks later. So don't count out that SW card!

My last INK did the same thing! So I guess you're right, I should wait and see...

Do you have a lot of plans you need to get points for soon? If not, maybe slow it down?

I always have plans, ha! We are a family of six and seem to go through the points very quickly. But we are finishing one large trip to Japan this summer and then doing a Disney World trip the next summer (where it is harder to use points). I have been doing the 5x rewards on my Disney Visa on gas/groceries/eating out since I do not have a current MSR. This is the first time in a loooong time I am regularly using that card!

We also have lots of smaller trips in between, trips to visit family and some college visits. The points always help! But we could try to focus on just maximizing spending categories.

I like to stay perpetually at 4/24. Occasionally, I'll go to 5/24 if one is dropping off soon, especially if I'll be waiting for the Chase 3 months anyways. Inks are too valuable to me to blow past 5/24.

Almost all our spend goes towards a SUB, upgrade offer, retention offer, spend offer, AU offer, or Hyatt status. Have also done the Hilton Surpass/biz 15k spend for FNC. We get Amex pop-up too, but sometimes links come up that will bypass it. I feel opportunities often present themselves eventually, though I'm feeling a lull right now.

These are good points. I have also always kept at least one of us well under 5/24 and if one of us does go above that it is always just briefly. That is probably why I am feeling a little anxious right now. I guess I can keep trying those AMEX cards. Dumb pop-ups!

I have considered going for the Hilton FNC. It is just so much spend for just one free night. But at least I would be working toward something.

Booked our Universal trip with URs and my CSR. I can't believe I've been in this group for years and this is the first time I've utilized the chase portal and the 1.5x points! Not gonna lie though, it's hard seeing those point balances drop.

My only worry now is how we're going to feel about going to Orlando and not doing Disney. We're definitely HP fans so that part will be fun, but are we going to be sorry we didn't do a split stay?
Did you book your tickets through the portal? I went to buy ours yesterday and noticed they had gone up so I'm holding off to see if maybe they'll go back down. I've been going back and forth "doing the math" to see what I should use our points on, the HRH or UR tix. I was able to get a discounted AP room so the plan is to buy tix through the UR portal, then use PYB at our grocery store for Disney gc's for food and Genie.

Hi all! I have a few more newbie questions. I would really like to apply for a card tomorrow, so I really appreciate any advice!
My P2 and I are both at 3/24. My main cc I’m looking at for now is CSR due to frequent travel, and then referring DH to it later.
1. I think a SW cc for the CP would be good for each of us, to get our family of 4 a flight out west this summer. I had previously planned to pay for 1/2 of our flights for that trip with my current points. Not sure if it’s worth it or not, since our next flight together probably wouldn’t be until we go to Europe next Spring/Summer.
Is the personal SW card the only one offering the CP or would the business card offer it too? If I book a reward flight, and had a CP, are they still allowed to fly free even though I’m flying free?
2. Does the Marriott offer for the 5 free nights only apply to the personal cards, or business also?
3. I have a cc that I plan to cancel at the end of its first year, which is in May. That card has a 15k CL. Should I lower that before applying for these new cards to help my chance of approval?
4. In April, I will have another cc drop from my 3/24 count leaving me at 2/24. CSR is my first choice, I plan to apply for now. Then I’m thinking an Ink and either the SW for the CP or the Marriott. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between applying for each card? And if you would like to give me advice on which other cards you prefer, that would be great.
Your advice is greatly appreciated! 😊

My last INK did the same thing! So I guess you're right, I should wait and see...

I always have plans, ha! We are a family of six and seem to go through the points very quickly. But we are finishing one large trip to Japan this summer and then doing a Disney World trip the next summer (where it is harder to use points). I have been doing the 5x rewards on my Disney Visa on gas/groceries/eating out since I do not have a current MSR. This is the first time in a loooong time I am regularly using that card!

We also have lots of smaller trips in between, trips to visit family and some college visits. The points always help! But we could try to focus on just maximizing spending categories.

These are good points. I have also always kept at least one of us well under 5/24 and if one of us does go above that it is always just briefly. That is probably why I am feeling a little anxious right now. I guess I can keep trying those AMEX cards. Dumb pop-ups!

I have considered going for the Hilton FNC. It is just so much spend for just one free night. But at least I would be working toward something.
Oh, I hear you! We're only a family of two (for now!), but do a lot of small trips between big trips. Pretty much once a month, sometimes twice. Love that SW CP for domestic weekend trips 😁

Did you book your tickets through the portal? I went to buy ours yesterday and noticed they had gone up so I'm holding off to see if maybe they'll go back down. I've been going back and forth "doing the math" to see what I should use our points on, the HRH or UR tix. I was able to get a discounted AP room so the plan is to buy tix through the UR portal, then use PYB at our grocery store for Disney gc's for food and Genie.
I did, and booked HRH too. The tickets were a little more but still a better savings through the portal. We are taking advantage of the buy 2 P2P get 2 days free promo. I made a whole spreadsheet comparing cash prices with points redemption and ultimately points won.

Hi all! I have a few more newbie questions. I would really like to apply for a card tomorrow, so I really appreciate any advice!
My P2 and I are both at 3/24. My main cc I’m looking at for now is CSR due to frequent travel, and then referring DH to it later.
1. I think a SW cc for the CP would be good for each of us, to get our family of 4 a flight out west this summer. I had previously planned to pay for 1/2 of our flights for that trip with my current points. Not sure if it’s worth it or not, since our next flight together probably wouldn’t be until we go to Europe next Spring/Summer.
Is the personal SW card the only one offering the CP or would the business card offer it too? If I book a reward flight, and had a CP, are they still allowed to fly free even though I’m flying free?
2. Does the Marriott offer for the 5 free nights only apply to the personal cards, or business also?
3. I have a cc that I plan to cancel at the end of its first year, which is in May. That card has a 15k CL. Should I lower that before applying for these new cards to help my chance of approval?
4. In April, I will have another cc drop from my 3/24 count leaving me at 2/24. CSR is my first choice, I plan to apply for now. Then I’m thinking an Ink and either the SW for the CP or the Marriott. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between applying for each card? And if you would like to give me advice on which other cards you prefer, that would be great.
Your advice is greatly appreciated! 😊

The SW CP offer is only on the personal cards and expires in 2 days. That promotional CP is only good through 2/28/25. You can also get a CP by earning 135k SW points in a year, which usually involves getting 2 SW cards. This CP would last the current year and the entire next year. So people often time it for the begining of the year to maximize it. Do you only have 1 SW flight planned where you need the CP?

The rule of thumb is to space out Chase cards (both personal and biz) every 3 months.

The Marriott 5 free night offer is on the Chase Boundless (personal) and Amex business card. The Marriott cards have convoluted rules. If you've had a Marriott card before, you'll need to check one of the charts. If not, then basically you're picking if you want to go down the Chase or Amex track first. I prefer the Amex track because it has the business card and the Brilliant (personal) appeals to me more because I like aspirational hotels. Plus it doesn't take up my Chase velocity. Others may prefer the Chase track for other reasons, such as eventually upgrading to the Ritz card which you can no longer apply for.

Keep in mind that the free nights are capped at 50k each and can be topped off up to 15k, so the maximum you can use it for is a night that is 65k. They expire 1 year after you earn them. You'll want to check if the hotel you're interested in tends to be below that price. Marriott has dynamic pricing though and the points values change all the time, so there are no guarantees. Nothing more frustrating than seeing what you want at 66k.

For lowering your CL, is it a Chase card? For Chase, you'll want to keep total CL across all your Chase cards to be under 75k-ish or 50% of income, whichever is lower. If it's not a Chase card, then it probably doesn't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter