I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I disagree, it depends entirely on what your goals are. If the goal is to maximize SUBs then yes, it makes much more sense to open accounts in each name. If the goal is to get cards to maximize the rewards and keep them. It makes more sense to get AU cards for spouses. My wife is an AU on all of my cards but one, makes it easier when I tell her to use a specific card for something to maximize the rewards.
That's a fair point but even that depends. Assuming a no fee card where the same household can pool points, an AU card can be a detriment in the long run as opposed to P2 having their own card. I will use the Chase Freedom as an example. Depending on the category and household spend on said category for a given quarterly bonus one can maximize their spend and get 5x on $3k in spend with both cards as opposed to only 5x on $1.5 in spend on one card account with an AU. Annually one could potentially be leaving 30,000 points on the table by having an AU card.

Additionally, if a given household is easily able to utilize FN certs from a specific hotel brand card, it would make sense for P1 and P2 to have their own card as each would have a FN cert with a value that exceeds fee and be able to save money and points.

Like everything in this hobby, there isn't a wrong way to do things. But there are many, many right ways and they are all dependent on each person's travel goals and individual situations.

Had my Capital One venture X Annual fee renew last month. I am thinking about maybe getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve to replace the Venture X. While the Venture X seems like a good value, I am only finding myself wanting to transfer points to Wyndham. With Chase, there are several options I like to transfer to, plus they are building a chase lounge in PHX where I am based. With the travel credit of $300, are there ways to somehow make up the other $250 of the annual fee?

Had my Capital One venture X Annual fee renew last month. I am thinking about maybe getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve to replace the Venture X. While the Venture X seems like a good value, I am only finding myself wanting to transfer points to Wyndham. With Chase, there are several options I like to transfer to, plus they are building a chase lounge in PHX where I am based. With the travel credit of $300, are there ways to somehow make up the other $250 of the annual fee?
$5 Doordash and $15 Instacart monthly, plus membership perks for both services as well as Lyft

If you're willing to game the system, you can hold a CSR fee free forever. You need two personal UR cards (CSR and one other like the Freedom Flex). The CSR's travel credit resets each card anniversary. So, you spend $300 in the first year, then spend $300 right after the 1 year mark. If you don't have travel plans, you can book a refundable ticket, get the travel credit, then cancel the ticket and use the money for other things.

To keep this cycle going, you can product change the CSR after 1 year to a different no annual fee product. In turn, you product change your Freedom Flex up to a CSR (needs to have $10,000 credit limit, so you may have to reallocate your credit line). Rinse and repeat with the "new" CSR. You're actually making $50, plus enjoying all of the travel benefits and multipliers on the CSR.

If all of this is too much of a hassle, then just do it for the first year and decide if the benefits are worth $250 to you for years 2, 3 and beyond.

When there are no direct flights from your home airport, you may want to consider positioning to a city that does have the direct flight to where you want to go and add that city as part of your vacation. Stay and explore the area for a night or two or more, then fly out to the destination.
While this is totally true, I have limited PTO so can only take 5 days at a time which gives us 9 days. If it takes 2 days there and 2 days back I’m not willing to travel that much for 5 days. We went to London a few years ago and I absolutely hated the flights, too long and too uncomfortable even in biz class. Just my personal preference. I really want to take DS to China but am dreading flights. For him though I’ll do it, plus I’ll somehow I’ll finagle 2 weeks off.

I would love to see Machu Piccu but I think I would struggle to climb that far. I did do more hiking and climbing in Costa Rica last than I thought could but still seems more difficult. Also, I looked up flights to Peru for fun last year and discovered It would take us a day to get there. No direct flights for us and frankly, that's the part I'm too old for now.

What DD was trying to plan for was acclimating to the elevation. I asked her was she hiking up and no, she was taking the bus up the mountain. From what I've read, the hike up is up to an hour and a half. Not sure if she will hike down. She's also planned on doing at least one of the planned routes while up there.

She has been working out for the past few years, post a couple of operations, one being a breast reduction. I would say she is almost athletic at this point at age 45.

Getting there: for her she looks for the least expensive barebones flight and this was into Ecuador, and since she left from Dulles, it's probably stop in Miami on the way to Ecuador, then bus to Lima where she will spend an extra day. Then Latam to Cusco. No fancy hotels, just IHG, Hilton and Marriott. Using up whatever points she has. After the mountain her and friend have about a week in other towns before flying back via Lima (Latam) to Miami and Delta back home.

She often makes convoluted travel arrangements to get best bang for buck and to see more. No one bringing a family along would do all this. Her and her travel companion both speak the languages and are very well traveled.

How MyWay benefits work​

With every stay, you'll get something special at any of our brands. Keep in mind benefits can vary depending on the brand.
Choose from benefits like:

Food & beverage credit or continental breakfast*​

Choose from a daily credit for food and drinks, any time of day, at select brands in the U.S. or enjoy complimentary continental breakfast.

Bonus Points​

Opt for more Points to use for a future stay. Earn up to 1,000 Bonus Points during your stay, depending on the brand.

Welcome Snack​

Choose this MyWay benefit and a welcome snack and drink will be waiting for you when you arrive at select hotels.

think this is what you are refering too. can get one of the 3.
ohhhhhhh So it's the food credit or the points? I didn't know that...we really didn't need that food credit, we were just buying snacks to use it up daily. oh well live and learn.

Anyone have a recent experience using the Amex biz plat wireless credit for Verizon Wireless? I haven’t had any issues with getting the Amex credit although it’s been taking longer to post. My issue is with Verizon taking away the $10/line checking acct/autopay discount by making the $10 credit card payment. I had been using the link to pay without signing in and it had been working but now when I get to the last payment page a window pops and says I’ll lose my autopay discount. Any way around this? I know a year or so ago some were buying Verizon gift cards with the amex and paying with them and didn’t lose the autopay discount so not sure if that’s still working.
Did you figure out a work-around? My auto draft is in 3 days and I just tried to pay and got the dumb pop-up, so I don't have time to order a gift card this month.

Do you know if paying at the Kisko still works? I have a verizon store a couple miles away so it isn't a big deal for me to stop by this month and pay with my card.

My DS has just booked a trip to Peru and Machu Picchu in May. We sure gave him the travel bug - he always seems to be off somewhere.

He should do it now. I was married in my early to mid twenties and after that, babies and beach and disney vacations, with a few ski trips thrown in. Before that, a bit of Europe and one small trip to Morrocco.

Time for a new SUB. Just finished both INK Cash and AMEX Gold for DH. So, my turn for a new card. I am 3/24. Last card was an INK Cash in November. I currently have 3 INKS open, will close the oldest one. Was looking at 100,000 United Biz SUB or US Bank Biz Triple Cash Rewards for $500 Bonus.... but then I got to thinking maybe try another INK. Would still be better than these with 40,000 Referral and 75,000 SUB....

Any other good options out there right now with increases SUBs? I did look through DOC's list but didn't come up with much else. Between DH and I we currently have about 1,100,000 UR's, A bit over 600,000 MR's , About 225,000 Cap One and a few other Misc Hotel/Airline Points.

Have a Cruise coming up in September but that is paid for. Next big trip is going to be back to Europe probably May/June 2025. Trying to decide on River Cruise or Tour. Leaning towards Tour Group as we then can stay a few days at each place. Probably looking at something that goes to Germany, Austria and Prague. Points can help with airfare unless they have a special price included in tour. So, may need to use points to cash out 1:1 even though not best value.

Time for a new SUB. Just finished both INK Cash and AMEX Gold for DH. So, my turn for a new card. I am 3/24. Last card was an INK Cash in November. I currently have 3 INKS open, will close the oldest one. Was looking at 100,000 United Biz SUB or US Bank Biz Triple Cash Rewards for $500 Bonus.... but then I got to thinking maybe try another INK. Would still be better than these with 40,000 Referral and 75,000 SUB....

Any other good options out there right now with increases SUBs? I did look through DOC's list but didn't come up with much else. Between DH and I we currently have about 1,100,000 UR's, A bit over 600,000 MR's , About 225,000 Cap One and a few other Misc Hotel/Airline Points.

Have a Cruise coming up in September but that is paid for. Next big trip is going to be back to Europe probably May/June 2025. Trying to decide on River Cruise or Tour. Leaning towards Tour Group as we then can stay a few days at each place. Probably looking at something that goes to Germany, Austria and Prague. Points can help with airfare unless they have a special price included in tour. So, may need to use points to cash out 1:1 even though not best value.
I'd definitely do the INK. I find URs incredibly flexible and can never have enough. I'd love to apply for another but am still finishing the SUB on dd's and won't be able to meet another big MSR until dd's tuition and res in September.

Yesterday I applied for another Cdn card for 35k points, which will be transferred to BA (when a 30% bonus hits -- usually twice / year). This card is amazing because you can apply every 90 days and the only requirement is 1 purchase. Hopefully this card never tightens up because the AP cards here have been completely neutered and AC has implemented a strict new rule about no more than 2 cc bonuses per year (several people have had their accounts frozen, so I won't take any kind of risk, especially since I got 2 cc SUBs last year).

Macchu Picchu is amazing! I wanted to climb up to the Moon Gate, but my lungs wouldn't allow it. I consider myself somewhat athletic (not as much as I was 10 years ago, but not bad for my age), but I couldn't get deep breathes and was really struggling (I do suffer from altitude sickness). Ds and dd practically ran up with the ABD group and shared their amazing pictures with me. However even if you don't climb up the views are still spectacular!

What DD was trying to plan for was acclimating to the elevation. I asked her was she hiking up and no, she was taking the bus up the mountain. From what I've read, the hike up is up to an hour and a half. Not sure if she will hike down. She's also planned on doing at least one of the planned routes while up there.

She has been working out for the past few years, post a couple of operations, one being a breast reduction. I would say she is almost athletic at this point at age 45.

Getting there: for her she looks for the least expensive barebones flight and this was into Ecuador, and since she left from Dulles, it's probably stop in Miami on the way to Ecuador, then bus to Lima where she will spend an extra day. Then Latam to Cusco. No fancy hotels, just IHG, Hilton and Marriott. Using up whatever points she has. After the mountain her and friend have about a week in other towns before flying back via Lima (Latam) to Miami and Delta back home.

She often makes convoluted travel arrangements to get best bang for buck and to see more. No one bringing a family along would do all this. Her and her travel companion both speak the languages and are very well traveled.
I'm not sure if there is an option to climb all the way down. We took the bus up to the gate and back down -- the bus ride is no joke. I could barely look out the windows going down; the road turns and twists and there are vehicles coming in the other direction on a very narrow road.

ABD had us a few days in the Sacred Valley before heading to Macchu Picchu -- it didn't help me at all unfortunately (though ds and dd had no problems at all). Ds and I both got altitude sickness in Cusco for a day, but at least for me, it wasn't too bad.

Neither of these pics were from the Moon Gate (note the rainbow in the first pic)!
IMG_8024.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

While this is totally true, I have limited PTO so can only take 5 days at a time which gives us 9 days. If it takes 2 days there and 2 days back I’m not willing to travel that much for 5 days. We went to London a few years ago and I absolutely hated the flights, too long and too uncomfortable even in biz class. Just my personal preference. I really want to take DS to China but am dreading flights. For him though I’ll do it, plus I’ll somehow I’ll finagle 2 weeks off.
We flew AC Rouge and regulars here know of my hatred for AC Rouge. It never should have been brought into service and should be permanently removed. Neither dh nor I will fly them, but in this case it was the only direct route to Lima. Thankfully it wasn't a red eye (if it was I wouldn't have done it); as expected it was horrible -- seats in "biz class" (nowhere near actual biz class) were cramped and uncomfortable, food was pretty bad and the bathrooms were beyond disgusting by the time we landed. Dd and I flew AA biz class back to MIA; I gave ds the option of flying AC Rouge direct or AA biz class with a connection; he chose the former and totally regretted it. I am so glad that we took the trip but don't see myself going back to Peru.

Also my AMEX Biz Plat is up for renewal. Not really seeing anything to keep this card - thinking of cancelling unless you guys have some good reasons on why it is a keeper card.

Did you figure out a work-around? My auto draft is in 3 days and I just tried to pay and got the dumb pop-up, so I don't have time to order a gift card this month.

Do you know if paying at the Kisko still works? I have a verizon store a couple miles away so it isn't a big deal for me to stop by this month and pay with my card.
I pay all but a couple dollars at the kiosk every month. The auto pay to my debit card satisfies the system and I get the discount. I was never able to get the Plat credit to work - did not code as wireless:mad:. I just use my Venture X and get at least the 2 points.

I am canceling a Disney cruise during the penalty period and will lose my deposit. Same for my daughter. I did not buy travel insurance as I usually get it closer to travel date. I got a serious test result and am going for a biopsy on Friday. I paid a small part of the cruise with my CSP and the rest with Disney gift cards. Does anyone know if the travel insurance cover cruises? I’ve learned a valuable lesson to always get travel insurance (which I always purchase for cruises) before the penalty period.

I am canceling a Disney cruise during the penalty period and will lose my deposit. Same for my daughter. I did not buy travel insurance as I usually get it closer to travel date. I got a serious test result and am going for a biopsy on Friday. I paid a small part of the cruise with my CSP and the rest with Disney gift cards. Does anyone know if the travel insurance cover cruises? I’ve learned a valuable lesson to always get travel insurance (which I always purchase for cruises) before the penalty period.
First let me say I’m so sorry for what you are dealing with. I do believe if you put any of the cruise on your csp, you have some coverage through Chase.

I'm sorry to hear this. You may be covered with the CSP under this section:
"Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced byYou or Your Traveling Companion which prevents You or YourTraveling Companion from traveling on the Trip"

They do cover cruises, up to $10k/person, and your daughter is covered as well. Here's the guide to benefits: link.

Hope your biopsy is better than what you suspect and that you are able to get through this. Sorry to hear it.

Have you tried to rebook your cruise further out? Not sure that can be done but perhaps you can buy some time? Disney has been known to be fairly sympathetic to family issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter