I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Question:

Can the AU on a Chase account initiate a chargeback? Or does it have to be the main account owner?

I’d CSR. Hit the $300 travel credit now and again before downgrading to a CSP a year from now and bam! Cheaper than a CSP!

Don’t book flights through the Chase portal unless you’re redeeming your points. Prices are generally the same but when things go wrong you have to go through Chase to make changes instead of being able to do it direct with the airline. Not the end of the world but mildly annoying.
That's great you can doubledip on that travel credit! I wonder if anyone has had problems doing that before they cancelled/downgraded their CSR? Also, I read that you have to have excellent credit for the CSR. Mine is in the 700's and I believe ranked Good. Does it hurt to apply for CSR and possibly get rejected? Would I then still be able to apply for the CSP? My P2 has excellent credit, but I just don't even want to deal with having a card through him. :rotfl:
One of my main concerns when deciding which card to start my churning journey with, has been the % of points awarded when purchasing travel through their portal. So, if that isn't a concern now (due to the 'hassle' and not much % difference of booking direct), should I lean to getting a Marriott (currently Platinum status) card and possibly an airline card (lately has been mostly SW, Delta & American) to purchase my monthly travel on?
I love this board! :goodvibes Granted, I've been on the disboards over 20 years, but this one has been so informative. I really appreciate everyone's help!

I haven't dealt with Barclays since my last Arrival+, but the other day I read a person's experience with applying for the Wyndham Biz and it was an extended drawn out process lasting months and repeated mailing in of ID-sensitive documents. I think he applied in December and only just got approved recently. But not actually approved, because when he called back because he hadn't received the card yet, the fraud department said that the hold on his application was never cleared despite copious notes -- on their end! --documenting that he had been approved. He's still waiting for the card...and get this, his CL is $1300. I hope you have a better experience than he did!

Called again was told (again) that I was approved, but he'll transfer me to get the application "finalized". The next person told me that I need to send the identify docs. So they say it's approved, but it's not really approved. 🙄

Trip is in a little over a month and I still need to do the Caesar's match. I waited too long debating whether to get the card. If this all takes too long, it'll be a bit moot. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Called again was told (again) that I was approved, but he'll transfer me to get the application "finalized". The next person told me that I need to send the identify docs. So they say it's approved, but it's not really approved. 🙄

Trip is in a little over a month and I still need to do the Caesar's match. I waited too long debating whether to get the card. If this all takes too long, it'll be a bit moot. Oh well, you win some you lose some.
At Caesars, you lose more than you win!

...One of my main concerns when deciding which card to start my churning journey with, has been the % of points awarded when purchasing travel through their portal. So, if that isn't a concern now (due to the 'hassle' and not much % difference of booking direct), should I lean to getting a Marriott (currently Platinum status) card and possibly an airline card (lately has been mostly SW, Delta & American) to purchase my monthly travel on?
Nope, Bonvoy points suck with their rate of inflation now and airline cards are suckers bets if you don't have a plan ("ohh, I could get two tickets with this bonus! oh, what do you mean I can only get 2 tickets on tuesdays at midnight in January to Alaska? I need them on Saturdays in July!") To make airline cards work you need to be familiar with their exact currency, award prices, and how much you'll need to go where you want when you want. I don't think you're ready for that. However, we have Southwest experts here that can help if a Southwest companion pass would be of use.

To start out I always feel it's easiest to stick with points you can translate to cash, if anything happens Chase points can be cashed out straight to your bank for $.01/point, currently they can be cashed out towards grocery purchases at $.0125. If you wanted Bonvoy points you could transfer points from Chase to bonvoy but unless you're topping up it's most likely not going to be worth it. Chase also transfers to Southwest but again, know what you're doing before you transfer.

Do make sure to review page 1 here as well :)

Does anyone know how to stop Amex from spamming me with offers for cards I already have? Every single time I log in, I get an ad for either BBP, which I have, or Biz Plat, which I also have.
I don't know the answer but I wanted to say that many might consider such offers lucky! Often these offers have no lifetime language, allowing you to earn another SUB on a card you already have or had previously. Food for thought! 😉

As they say: One person's cc offer spam is another's easy decision on what card to get next. Well, maybe nobody says that...

I don't know the answer but I wanted to say that many might consider such offers lucky! Often these offers have no lifetime language, allowing you to earn another SUB on a card you already have or had previously. Food for thought! 😉

As they say: One person's cc offer spam is another's easy decision on what card to get next. Well, maybe nobody says that...
I'm currently working the Biz Plat SUB and it's dicey already so I'm not looking to jump on anything additional haha.

I'm currently working the Biz Plat SUB and it's dicey already so I'm not looking to jump on anything additional haha.
Yeah, I wish we could jump on DH's Biz Plat targeted offer (and he already has one Biz Plat) but even if we weren't working on two INK SUBs, the $15K spend would be too much rn. Don't have major projects or anything else coming up to take up some of that spend, and our normal monthly spend isn't enough. If only Amex wasn't sensitive about GC spend...

It's not difficult at all. I've had to do it the last two times because I keep forgetting to unfreeze. The call didn't take long at all and it was approved instantly both times.
Thawed credit and then called the number they gave but it only took me to an automated line with a 7-10 day msg. Do they automatically run the app again after you enter your info on the automated line? I thought we’d be routed to a person.

That's great you can doubledip on that travel credit! I wonder if anyone has had problems doing that before they cancelled/downgraded their CSR? Also, I read that you have to have excellent credit for the CSR. Mine is in the 700's and I believe ranked Good. Does it hurt to apply for CSR and possibly get rejected? Would I then still be able to apply for the CSP? My P2 has excellent credit, but I just don't even want to deal with having a card through him. :rotfl:
One of my main concerns when deciding which card to start my churning journey with, has been the % of points awarded when purchasing travel through their portal. So, if that isn't a concern now (due to the 'hassle' and not much % difference of booking direct), should I lean to getting a Marriott (currently Platinum status) card and possibly an airline card (lately has been mostly SW, Delta & American) to purchase my monthly travel on?
I love this board! :goodvibes Granted, I've been on the disboards over 20 years, but this one has been so informative. I really appreciate everyone's help!
Transferable currencies tend to be better than locking in to one program just because you have more options. Chase points transfer to United, Southwest, Marriot and Hyatt. Hyatt is the most lucrative option as I regularly find redemptions of 3 cents per point. I use my CSP to book all of my flights, I get 2x on the purchase, and it has travel insurance. I use my CSP to book my rental cars as it has primary car rental insurance. But most of my spend goes on my AMEX Gold for 4x on groceries and dining, I can then transfer those points to airlines like Delta, or top off my Hilton account. I have a Delta credit card but don't use it to book Delta flights, I'd rather have the Chase points and the insurance. I do have an American card for the moment that I got for the SUB. I booked tickets to WDW for October for 12k round trip, SW was 14k each direction. Used my CSP to pay for the taxes and fees to get the insurance.

I think it's more cash equivalents that Amex is sensitive to such as Visa or MC gift cards, money orders or other items that can be converted back to cash.
Hm, well that's interesting. So I could load up on GC for my local grocery store, for instance? I think I would need to think on how to diversify what GCs we buy. It would take us a long time to get through, say, $5K worth of grocery store GCs because there are only two of us and our weekly grocery bill is much lower now that we're vegetarian (meat is expensive! lol)

Transferable currencies tend to be better than locking in to one program just because you have more options. Chase points transfer to United, Southwest, Marriot and Hyatt. Hyatt is the most lucrative option as I regularly find redemptions of 3 cents per point. I use my CSP to book all of my flights, I get 2x on the purchase, and it has travel insurance. I use my CSP to book my rental cars as it has primary car rental insurance. But most of my spend goes on my AMEX Gold for 4x on groceries and dining, I can then transfer those points to airlines like Delta, or top off my Hilton account. I have a Delta credit card but don't use it to book Delta flights, I'd rather have the Chase points and the insurance. I do have an American card for the moment that I got for the SUB. I booked tickets to WDW for October for 12k round trip, SW was 14k each direction. Used my CSP to pay for the taxes and fees to get the insurance.
Who did you book through for the 12k RT, when SW was 14k ea direction? And when you say you use CSP to book all your flights, does that also mean you book it through their portal or just booking direct and paying with the CSP? Sorry to ask such newbie questions, I really am trying to learn. I am going to work on churning to help with a trip to Europe next year. 😊
I do typically stay 35-50 nights a year at Marriotts. Would it be beneficial to start focusing on stays at Hyatt hotels since their redemption value seems better?
Very helpful info, especially regarding the insurance. There are several times that travel insurance would’ve been a benefit if I had it!
Thank you and gottalovepluto for your advice!

Does anyone know how to stop Amex from spamming me with offers for cards I already have? Every single time I log in, I get an ad for either BBP, which I have, or Biz Plat, which I also have.

Haha! I have to agree. I certainly don’t NEED anymore Amex business cards, but I would appreciate the offer 😂

Who did you book through for the 12k RT, when SW was 14k ea direction? And when you say you use CSP to book all your flights, does that also mean you book it through their portal or just booking direct and paying with the CSP? Sorry to ask such newbie questions, I really am trying to learn. I am going to work on churning to help with a trip to Europe next year. 😊
I do typically stay 35-50 nights a year at Marriotts. Would it be beneficial to start focusing on stays at Hyatt hotels since their redemption value seems better?
Very helpful info, especially regarding the insurance. There are several times that travel insurance would’ve been a benefit if I had it!
Thank you and gottalovepluto for your advice!
I was comparing the two airlines programs. It was 12k AAdvantage points RT vs SW 14k RR points each way.
I don't book anything through a portal unless it's a one off single hotel night. Airline tickets using a portal puts additional restrictions and complicates any issues that come up. Hotels you don't earn points or get any status benefits if you book through the portals. I book direct with the airlines and pay the taxes and fees with the CSP. I haven't paid cash for a flight for me in 6 years. I get enough points and fly enough for my jobs that I use points.
I will always choose a Hyatt over a Marriott property. The only status I have is with Hilton but I would still choose a Hyatt. As a general member you can get a free night at a decent property after $1,000 spend with Hyatt. With Marriott it's going to take $3,000 at least, and pretty much the same with Hilton.

Thawed credit and then called the number they gave but it only took me to an automated line with a 7-10 day msg. Do they automatically run the app again after you enter your info on the automated line? I thought we’d be routed to a person.
I spoke with a live person both times and got my instant approval. I think I called the number they gave me, but it's possible I called a different number that eventually routed me to a person.

Hm, well that's interesting. So I could load up on GC for my local grocery store, for instance? I think I would need to think on how to diversify what GCs we buy. It would take us a long time to get through, say, $5K worth of grocery store GCs because there are only two of us and our weekly grocery bill is much lower now that we're vegetarian (meat is expensive! lol)

With Amex I'd be careful of loading up on anything. I would however, buy a store giftcard with my regular food purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter