I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I applied to renew my GE on Friday evening using P2’s IHG card. The $100 credit posted quickly to his account, and I received an email Sunday morning noting a change to my application and it was approved over the weekend. Nothing about an interview so very happy about that. My GE expiration would have been this coming November so now I’m good through November 2029.
I applied to renew my Global Entry on 2/5/2023, and I'm still waiting for it to be Conditionally Approved...

FWIW, we just cruised on the Apex a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Only issue we had was that we had signed up for a set dining time but when we went to eat the first night they showed us as “anytime dining”. I never took the time to straighten it out as it wasn’t really that big of a deal. Celebrity’s infinite verandahs are also different and in the end, I think I prefer a traditional balcony as you can’t have the infinite verandah window open and still keep the AC on in the cabin.

We aren’t drinkers and are perfectly content with the “free” beverages. Maybe that is where the “nickel and diming” is perceived? Other than that I’m not sure what that would be referring to. There is an espresso machine at the spa cafe that you can use without a drink package/extra charge and we took advantage of that every morning.

We’ve never been on DCL though so can’t compare.
I have two friends who had that infinite veranda, on one the Edge and one on the Apex. They both hated it so much that we made sure to book a real balcony. I think the nickel and diming had to do with swiping a drink card every time they wanted to drink anything (even though they had the beverage package and the drinks were included) and seeing up-charge offerings all over the place. When we booked this cruise it came with the premium beverage package (we aren't drinkers, but we do need to hydrate) and prepaid tips and the better wifi, so I'm not sure I'm going to need to pay for much on the side but I do like how I can just get my own drinks on DCL and nobody is checking my card all the time just because I think it sounds like a hassle.

I appreciate your review and the information you are sharing here. I think part of my concern is that a friend booked the same cruise since it sounded nice to her, and I now I'll feel responsible if they don't like it.

Cancelled DH's Chase Bonvoy Boundless in November after the free night arrived. Just went to book the free night, and he got an offer to reapply for the same card, with a $300 egift card and 75,000 points after $3000 spend. With all the trouble using the 50,000 night certificates lately, I'm thinking that $300 makes up for fewer points. I had been planning to wait a bit and refer him, he got both a SW card and CIC in December so probably will pass.
Quoting myself from Jan 26. I figured what the heck, why not have him apply for a new Marriott card since they offered it, even though he got a new CIC and SW personal in December. (The SW took ages to approve, with no updates or tracker.) So applied, got a need to review message, and tonight (17 days later) he got a congratulations here is your $300 Marriott gift card. I know the $300 is taxable, need to have hime slow down a lot now on new CC apps.

I applied to renew my GE on Friday evening using P2’s IHG card. The $100 credit posted quickly to his account, and I received an email Sunday morning noting a change to my application and it was approved over the weekend. Nothing about an interview so very happy about that. My GE expiration would have been this coming November so now I’m good through November 2029.
We applied for renewal 1/6 and DS got an email 1/9 that he had a change in status. On logging into his account and mine, we were both approved. No interviews required. Our upcoming expirations were in March and April this year. DH applied the same day and is still pending. His expires in October. I used CSR x2 and SW Performance Biz to pay, all of which credited quickly.

Side question, I did see where we could have booked somewhere like the Drury Inn or maybe the Hilton at Disney Springs on Hotels.com. Has anyone ever stayed at any of those on a short notice trip like this was for us? I have something like $220 in hotel cash, which we could have used for this trip and only been out of pocket maybe $300 for our room, but I just wasn't sure if it was inconvenient not staying at an actual WDW resort.
DH and I have stayed at both the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista and Hilton Buena Vista Palace, both Disney Springs Hotels. They work great for us for shorter trips especially using FNCs and/or points. With diamond or gold you get $15/person per night food&bev credit- so $30 for us which we used mostly for drinks/snacks for the room. You get two included Starbucks per day and two waters per day. We usually rent a car so no first hand experience with shuttles but we’ve had family stay there and they schedule the night before and have gotten there for early entry. We prefer HLBV over BV palace, but I hear BV palace has a great pool. We’re just not pool people and didn’t even go to look at it. We did walk to Disney springs which was convenient and HLBV seemed shorter but I’m not 100% sure. They do have resort and parking fees (parking fees seem to come and go) but with rewards stays at least you don’t pay the resort fee. We’ve also stayed at the Doubletree a few times and it was nice to have a suite but the hotel wasn’t as updated as the others.

Yesterday I took my final final for my Master's program. Can't believe I'm done. I now need to figure out Japan in May. I just don't know what to do because my dad is very sick (been in the hospital the last 2.5 weeks--I need to get down to Naples in the next few weeks and spend time with him and support my mom who's exhausted) and then I've got a 17 year old dog. My ex would keep her, but I absolutely don't want her to die and to not be there. This has been a really tough season in my life:(

I'm sorry this season is so tough. Please take this opportunity to look back at what you've accomplished in your education, your career and your homelife in past many years. You deserve to reflect on what is good.

For Japan, perhaps you can list out the penalty cancellation dates. Commit that you'll need to make a decision by that earliest penalty date. And then perhaps just do nothing until close to that approaching date. With a sick parent, so much can change in a short period of time.

I hope our ex can keep your beloved dog for a bit. Hopefully they can be vigilant for any signs and give you the heads up to return if she isn't looking good. I bet if he knew you'd rather come and everything be okay than not be there, that would help him proactively alert you of even small signs.

Sending hugs your way.

Second mistake: The Hilton aspire has been one of the favorite cards in our portfolio (until the recent changes but that's another story), and we've always gotten great "value" out of the free night awards, In the past we've used them to visit our daughter and play golf in Phoenix (Biltmore and Boulders) as well as the fancy hotel in Amsterdam (can't remember name). But I totally spaced this year and forgot DH"s was expiring March 6th! Normally that wouldn't be a problem but we are in London for two weeks before that, and super busy before we leave. Trying to figure out how to not let it go with a "staycation" but it's hard swallowing it on cheap cash stays in the SF Bay Area for not great hotels. I didn't realize we didn't have any high end Hiltons near us. Thought about a last minute one-night trip to So Cal for Disneyland (we are pass holders) but flights are outrageous. So mad at myself!

I'd appreciate any help/ideas on both!

Awhile back someone (perhaps @djmeredith ?) posted a very specific dp of getting their Hilton FNC extended. What I recall was that they called the diamond desk with a specific redemption date and property, past their expiration date. The rep did extend it to that date. They noted it was a one time extension and the amended cert had the date of the new redemption.

I thought their advice was that the Diamond Desk seemed more willing to do the extension with a specific redemption in mind than just a generic extension request. So their recommendation was even if you don't have a specific redemption, to find a property with a date further out, make the request and book it, and then you can cancel but keep the new (one time) extended date.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely pop down to WA Los Cabos pedregal to burn that cert, even if it was just for the night or two.

I'm sorry this season is so tough. Please take this opportunity to look back at what you've accomplished in your education, your career and your homelife in past many years. You deserve to reflect on what is good.

For Japan, perhaps you can list out the penalty cancellation dates. Commit that you'll need to make a decision by that earliest penalty date. And then perhaps just do nothing until close to that approaching date. With a sick parent, so much can change in a short period of time.

I hope our ex can keep your beloved dog for a bit. Hopefully they can be vigilant for any signs and give you the heads up to return if she isn't looking good. I bet if he knew you'd rather come and everything be okay than not be there, that would help him proactively alert you of even small signs.

Sending hugs your way.
Thank you for this--this is really good advice and I very much appreciate the kind words. Adding to my list for this weekend to look at cancelation dates. I'm thinking it looks like I'll head to Naples no later than 2/23, and once I'm there I think I will have a better sense of what is going on and be able to make a decision.

Will the shuttle get there in time to take advantage of early entry?
While I can't speak from experience yet, the shuttle has a posted schedule on their website, and they start running about 60-90 minutes BEFORE early entry, so I'd assume you get there with plenty of enough time for early entry. I have also read so many reviews about the hotel and the shuttle transport and the early entry there, to make sure it's worth it for us. I've read a lot of positive things, especially for the price point. I'll be sure to report back in April after our visit with an honest review!

I have two friends who had that infinite veranda, on one the Edge and one on the Apex. They both hated it so much that we made sure to book a real balcony. I think the nickel and diming had to do with swiping a drink card every time they wanted to drink anything (even though they had the beverage package and the drinks were included) and seeing up-charge offerings all over the place. When we booked this cruise it came with the premium beverage package (we aren't drinkers, but we do need to hydrate) and prepaid tips and the better wifi, so I'm not sure I'm going to need to pay for much on the side but I do like how I can just get my own drinks on DCL and nobody is checking my card all the time just because I think it sounds like a hassle.

I appreciate your review and the information you are sharing here. I think part of my concern is that a friend booked the same cruise since it sounded nice to her, and I now I'll feel responsible if they don't like it.
I bet there’s a service charge on each drink, so that probably does add up quickly if you’re getting several drinks a day. It’s a beautiful ship though and I think you’ll love it, especially if you got the regular balcony.

I am taking the plunge and finally using up a bunch of points on a dream Japan trip in May/June. Used a chunk of Delta points for the flight (but still watching in case ANA / Virgin availability pops up), and am burning lots of Hyatt points as well. Snagged one stray night at the Park Hyatt Kyoto to possibly give it a try, need to decide if switching hotels is worth it since it looks like you do generally need a taxi to get there, I'd just send bags off to the next destination given just one night. Planning to spend the rest of the Tokyo days at the Grand Hyatt 25k/night most likely, sounds like the Hyatt Regency is due for lots of refurbs beginning in May/June and I don't want to deal with that. I would LOVE to grab the new Hyatt House Shibuya for 15k/night but points nights are sold out. Not sure how good of a chance I have of it reopening for my exact dates, as they have a washer/dryer in room, who would let that reservation go? :hyper: (Of course Tokyo Disney is in the plans too, but sadly I don't do Hilton points, so I have Toy Story hotel booked on cash for now)

I have a lot of Capital One points I haven't had a good use for that I can transfer to Virgin if needed. I know ANA awards are really hard to get that way, but once I'm a couple weeks out I'll start watching closely. Virgin does have good availability for direct flights to HND from my airport in the upcoming month or two, nothing for my trip dates but I imagine it might just be too far out. If they do become available, it'll be less Virgin points to fly direct from MSP than I am currently paying for Delta from LAX. Crossing all my fingers and toes. I'd have to pay for the 2nd bag, but I think I could handle that for a nonstop flight instead of having to do two RT flights!

Feels like I have just been hoarding points for so many years, and not using them, so it's good to finally have some plans forming. Once all this is done I'll have to start thinking about the next cc as I think I am down to 3 in 24 months now...

I am taking the plunge and finally using up a bunch of points on a dream Japan trip in May/June. Used a chunk of Delta points for the flight (but still watching in case ANA / Virgin availability pops up), and am burning lots of Hyatt points as well. Snagged one stray night at the Park Hyatt Kyoto to possibly give it a try, need to decide if switching hotels is worth it since it looks like you do generally need a taxi to get there, I'd just send bags off to the next destination given just one night. Planning to spend the rest of the Tokyo days at the Grand Hyatt 25k/night most likely, sounds like the Hyatt Regency is due for lots of refurbs beginning in May/June and I don't want to deal with that. I would LOVE to grab the new Hyatt House Shibuya for 15k/night but points nights are sold out. Not sure how good of a chance I have of it reopening for my exact dates, as they have a washer/dryer in room, who would let that reservation go? :hyper: (Of course Tokyo Disney is in the plans too, but sadly I don't do Hilton points, so I have Toy Story hotel booked on cash for now)

I have a lot of Capital One points I haven't had a good use for that I can transfer to Virgin if needed. I know ANA awards are really hard to get that way, but once I'm a couple weeks out I'll start watching closely. Virgin does have good availability for direct flights to HND from my airport in the upcoming month or two, nothing for my trip dates but I imagine it might just be too far out. If they do become available, it'll be less Virgin points to fly direct from MSP than I am currently paying for Delta from LAX. Crossing all my fingers and toes. I'd have to pay for the 2nd bag, but I think I could handle that for a nonstop flight instead of having to do two RT flights!

Feels like I have just been hoarding points for so many years, and not using them, so it's good to finally have some plans forming. Once all this is done I'll have to start thinking about the next cc as I think I am down to 3 in 24 months now...

If you have any Citi Thank You points - supposed to be a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin starting next week.

DH and I have stayed at both the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista and Hilton Buena Vista Palace, both Disney Springs Hotels. They work great for us for shorter trips especially using FNCs and/or points. With diamond or gold you get $15/person per night food&bev credit- so $30 for us which we used mostly for drinks/snacks for the room. You get two included Starbucks per day and two waters per day. We usually rent a car so no first hand experience with shuttles but we’ve had family stay there and they schedule the night before and have gotten there for early entry. We prefer HLBV over BV palace, but I hear BV palace has a great pool. We’re just not pool people and didn’t even go to look at it. We did walk to Disney springs which was convenient and HLBV seemed shorter but I’m not 100% sure. They do have resort and parking fees (parking fees seem to come and go) but with rewards stays at least you don’t pay the resort fee. We’ve also stayed at the Doubletree a few times and it was nice to have a suite but the hotel wasn’t as updated as the others.
What floors/rooms did you stay in that you liked? At hlbv

Awhile back someone (perhaps @djmeredith ?) posted a very specific dp of getting their Hilton FNC extended. What I recall was that they called the diamond desk with a specific redemption date and property, past their expiration date. The rep did extend it to that date. They noted it was a one time extension and the amended cert had the date of the new redemption.

I thought their advice was that the Diamond Desk seemed more willing to do the extension with a specific redemption in mind than just a generic extension request. So their recommendation was even if you don't have a specific redemption, to find a property with a date further out, make the request and book it, and then you can cancel but keep the new (one time) extended date.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely pop down to WA Los Cabos pedregal to burn that cert, even if it was just for the night or two.
I tried multiple time to extend a cert that way with no luck. Then DH called to book the WA in Amsterdam with one cert and a bunch of points and the Hilton guy saw he had another cert that was due to expire and he said he could apply that one, too! Without asking, but with all of the comments about this is a one time thing, etc. So it may just be luck of the draw in terms of who answers the phone, although I did the HUCA quite a few times with no luck. Cabo is playing games with the points rooms right now (which really makes me like them a lot less than before) and by the time they release them I can't get a decent flight - after months of trying I'm pivoting to yet another trip to Hawaii.

ana via virgin you have to call i would sign up for Thrifty Traveler if you can what airport are you going out of lax? they had an email out of sfo today I'm sure most of that is gone by now though. I know when I got the deal for Munich by the time I told my friend and he was working it was sold out (was 100k from various airports delta one via virgin). As far as delta miles I haven't seen anything better than premium economy out of lax and it was quite high like 180k pp. It was a great trip Im trying to figure out how to convince my DW when our DD is a good age to bring her too one can hope find Jal or ana available during the dates. She did fine on the 8+ hours to France so one can hope.

Last edited:
ana via virgin you have to call i would sign up for Thrifty Traveler if you can what airport are you going out of lax? they had an email out of sfo today I'm sure most of that is gone by now though. I know when I got the deal for Munich by the time I told my friend and he was working it was sold out (was 100k from various airports delta one via virgin). As far as delta miles I haven't seen anything better than premium economy out of lax and it was quite high like 180k pp. It was a great trip Im trying to figure out how to convince my DW when our DD is a good age to bring her too one can hope find Jal or ana available during the dates. She did fine on the 8+ hours to France so one can hope.
Right now I am planning on MSP to LAX to HND (separate RT flights), I’m centrally located enough with MSP that I could shift to SFO or SEA or ORD if a business or first class flight came up. I’ve been watching and there’s been lots of award availability for the next week or two, seems like it’s either a quiet time to go right now or people are not able to make last minute changes. Yes the calling is the downside…I heard Virgin has long waits and they no longer hold flights for point transfers. Since I still have a few months I plan to get my virgin account set up and test transfer a small amount of points to at least get my account ready.

Right now MSP to HND direct is something like 250k for main cabin, insane. It’s usually closer to 150k which I’d do if it were available, for the convenience of direct. That’s why if Delta opens more seats to Virgin closer to May, I have a good chance (no need to call since booking thru virgin directly so I could do it online). It’s only 50k each direction on Virgin. Obviously not super ideal in main cabin but would be 100x better than flying to LA and booking a hotel and then flying to HND the next day also in main cabin. Plus cheaper as I’m paying 63k each way out of LA! Virgin has availability like every day for this MSP to HND route in Feb and most of March so I’m hoping they just don’t open up until 1-2 months out.

What floors/rooms did you stay in that you liked? At hlbv
We just request top floor away from elevators- somewhere quiet. Those are always our top two requests. Beyond that there’s no room or area we prefer. DH is diamond and we did get upgraded to a very spacious suite on our last trip which was nice because we were there for five nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter