• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I’ve done some searching and digging through old posts but haven’t had luck finding exactly what I’m looking for, even though I’m sure this has been asked a zillion times…

Paris hotels.

I’m Platinum Marriott and zero status Hyatt (but plenty of Hyatt points and URs). Looking for a Paris hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary trip - planning to spend probably 3 nights in Paris in early September 2025 (I know, I’m ridiculous with my planning!)

I’m leaning towards a Marriott property for free breakfast and maybe club lounge access? Any recommendations for well-located Marriotts (we are planning on all the normal Paris tourist activities, as this is our first trip there). A million bonus points for a hotel with air conditioning (we are heat wimps at night) and an open club lounge.

Suggestions? Or convince me it makes sense to stay at a Hyatt without any status?
I agree, you don't need breakfast in Paris- as bakeries are readily available, affordable and delicious.

If there is an Hyatt SLH property in Paris you are eyeing, breakfast is included, if I recall.

I like to stay in walking distance of the Louvre.

I surprisingly haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but I just saw that Chase and Southwest are offering a companion pass through 2/28/25 plus 30k points as a SUB on all 3 of the Chase SW personal cards. Offer ends 3/11/24.

The offer is also showing up through support links.

I’ll throw in that my personal favorite of the 3 Chase personal SW cards is the Priority. It’s the most expensive of the 3 ($149) but the benefits of the card ($75 yearly SW credit, 7500 SW points each year, 4 upgraded boardings each year) more than pay for the annual fee.
It is an amazing deal. Can we only have one SWA personal card? I would love to take advantage of their offer but my current personal card doesn’t turn one for a few months…

Well today has been a busy and stressful day of flight booking for me! Decided last minute to book a quick Friday-Sunday weekend trip to WDW to leave tomorrow… it seemed easy enough, but every SWA flight was just about sold out or only had 1 ticket left and I needed two. Kept looking at the dreaded Spirit airlines because they have amazing flight times, but I just couldn’t bring myself to commit to them. So ended up booking the last SWA flight out tomorrow night. It costed me something like 60k RR points and almost wiped me out. 😳 Not ideal at all, but it’s all we could do. Then 20 minutes after I booked them, DH calls to tell me he may have to work tomorrow after all so we won’t get to go until Saturday morning if he does. That takes another half of a park day from us since we already had to take the late flight Friday night, but nothing we can do about it. DH has to work so I can take more trips!! So I haven’t even booked a hotel yet because I’m waiting to see if he has to work or not tomorrow. There’s no DVC availability either. So who knows where we will end up and 🤞🏼 WDW won’t be sold out of rooms by the time I know. After this day, I decided I’m not cut out for last minute trip planning. We do have AP’s so at least our park tickets are covered!

I also just booked our September Aulani trip tickets too. We paid $3k for 5 SWA Anytime tickets so that’s exciting. We’ve been wanting to take this trip for quite some time.

Well today has been a busy and stressful day of flight booking for me! Decided last minute to book a quick Friday-Sunday weekend trip to WDW to leave tomorrow… it seemed easy enough, but every SWA flight was just about sold out or only had 1 ticket left and I needed two. Kept looking at the dreaded Spirit airlines because they have amazing flight times, but I just couldn’t bring myself to commit to them. So ended up booking the last SWA flight out tomorrow night. It costed me something like 60k RR points and almost wiped me out. 😳 Not ideal at all, but it’s all we could do. Then 20 minutes after I booked them, DH calls to tell me he may have to work tomorrow after all so we won’t get to go until Saturday morning if he does. That takes another half of a park day from us since we already had to take the late flight Friday night, but nothing we can do about it. DH has to work so I can take more trips!! So I haven’t even booked a hotel yet because I’m waiting to see if he has to work or not tomorrow. There’s no DVC availability either. So who knows where we will end up and 🤞🏼 WDW won’t be sold out of rooms by the time I know. After this day, I decided I’m not cut out for last minute trip planning. We do have AP’s so at least our park tickets are covered!

I also just booked our September Aulani trip tickets too. We paid $3k for 5 SWA Anytime tickets so that’s exciting. We’ve been wanting to take this trip for quite some time.
Not sure what Chase cards you have but many of mine had a 10% of Southwest offer yesterday. Still not too late to add it, I would think.

Getting ready to go out to breakfast with family this morning! So happy! I'm at that resort you can walk to from Epcot, and they are on the opposite side of the lake. So nice to be able to walk to breakfast!

Temps going to 70ties today but morning still cool. Went to my car for something and it's drenched in morning dew. Much better than snow!!!

Very quick trip! But sometimes one needs a little get away to refresh the mind 🙂

A financial columnist that I follow wrote last week about retention bonuses on credit cards. This morning he shared the below. As a churner it kind of made me cringe, but it's good that more people don't churn so the doors stay open for those of us that do! The below man was "thrilled" to save $150.00 AF on his card and (cringe) $50.00 on his spouse's AU. Can you just imagine how many trips he and his wife could have been on with that spend :oops:?

Let’s look at Mr. Hambly’s story in a bit more detail because it may help clarify what it takes to qualify for a bonus. Mr. Hambly said he’s held a credit card from this particular issuer since the mid-1970s and spent more than $275,000 on it over the previous four years. You don’t need to be as loyal and avid a customer as this to get a retention bonus, but you do need to imagine whether your card company would feel regret about a competitor scooping up your business.​
Mr. Hambly didn’t threaten to cancel his card, but he did say he and his wife have been looking at other options. “You give out extra rewards to new cardholders, so let’s do the same for a good customer,” he wrote in his e-mail to the bank.​

Advice please

Just got notice that my C1 Quicksilver card will be closed (for inactivity) soon. I literally haven't used it since I came back from Japan in November 2018 (in fact at the time, before I "met" you all, I was simply looking for a card with no foreign transaction fees).

Do you all think I should make a small charge just to keep it open, or is it OK to let it go?

Dh and I thought it would be fun to go stay one night this weekend at Disney by Epcot. Our thought was to use chase points to stay at the Swan or dolphin but we’ve been looking all week and both are completely sold out. The swan reserve is too. I guess we’ll just be driving over for the day

If you have any other Chase cards (like CFF or CFU), I think they also offer free Instacart+, and you can “stack” the membership periods. I managed to push my membership out all the way to Nov 2024 thanks to an embarrassing number of CFFs between me and P2.
I read my CSR it said my card was eligible i hit accept when back to the site still said its expiring this year I burned through all my chase cards to get today's date. I may cancel the credit. It didn't get extended did it (from the csr?)

also for those interested free hyatt points coming up
https://onemileatatime.com/deals/world-of-hyatt-promotion/

I agree, you don't need breakfast in Paris- as bakeries are readily available, affordable and delicious.

If there is an Hyatt SLH property in Paris you are eyeing, breakfast is included, if I recall.

I like to stay in walking distance of the Louvre.
what hotel in paris? i missed it. I stayed at hotel du louvre over winter break the breakfast was rotated to pastries to some degree my kid was happy. Can't beat the location.

So now it looks like my mom doesn't want to go to Ireland. She's upset she doesn't have a biz class seat. She's upset w/ the time of year we're going. She's upset that we're going "too short". I've booked hotels for 3, which I'm sure you know are harder to find. So now I need to go back and look at booking hotels for 2. She hasn't decided 100%, but she seems pretty set in her ways. I've thought about asking my 18yo to give up her seat for my mom, but again, this was her bday trip. I could give up my seat, but if I do that, I would try to non-rev instead on Delta. But then there is a chance I won't get there at all. So I'm super torn. I'm going to talk to her about it this weekend. But I think she wants a summer trip for closer to 2 weeks. TBH, I don't want to do something that long, LOL.

I'm a people pleaser, and so I am very much taking on the "guilt" of my mom not going. This trip was planned for 13 years, then fell apart. And now keeps falling apart. I worry what if she never gets to go later (esp after suddenly losing my dad). I'm struggling to deal with it all. It is not fun!

Well I guess after my tax issue in the fall, my township got Paypal Bill pay removed! I used it in Jan to pay my water, but when I search it doesn't come up anymore. I guess now I decide if the fees are worth it, since I don't have a SUB I need to hit. I'll probably just transfer from my bank account.

So now it looks like my mom doesn't want to go to Ireland. She's upset she doesn't have a biz class seat. She's upset w/ the time of year we're going. She's upset that we're going "too short". I've booked hotels for 3, which I'm sure you know are harder to find. So now I need to go back and look at booking hotels for 2. She hasn't decided 100%, but she seems pretty set in her ways. I've thought about asking my 18yo to give up her seat for my mom, but again, this was her bday trip. I could give up my seat, but if I do that, I would try to non-rev instead on Delta. But then there is a chance I won't get there at all. So I'm super torn. I'm going to talk to her about it this weekend. But I think she wants a summer trip for closer to 2 weeks. TBH, I don't want to do something that long, LOL.

I'm a people pleaser, and so I am very much taking on the "guilt" of my mom not going. This trip was planned for 13 years, then fell apart. And now keeps falling apart. I worry what if she never gets to go later (esp after suddenly losing my dad). I'm struggling to deal with it all. It is not fun!

I get the struggle with your mom but don't lose focus that this is supposed to be your daughter's trip for her birthday. Don't change what she wants just to please your mom unless your daughter is ok with it, and actually ok with it not just agreeing because you asked if she's ok with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter