• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I'm the same but will use the $150 stays credit. It's on any property on their delta stays site so it'll be much easier to use than thr fhr/thc credit on the plat without having to spend over the amount. I've already looked up places nearby for July 4 if I decide to go somewhere more quiet with Tux since it sounds like a war zone where I live. I just don't trust my neighbors enough to book something.
Hm, you know, I didn't look into Delta Stays before jumping into conclusions! This may be a useful perk after all.

hmmm, do I need to look into this?
Well, looks like Delta Stays is just an Expedia overlay. Here's how this was helpful for me:
I'm staying two nights at a Hyatt Place outside Atlanta for my cousin's son's birthday party. First night was 8K Hyatt points, the second was 9.5K. I found the property on Delta Stays and it was $147 per night on either night--so I'm using up the credit on my Delta Biz Gold ($150) to book the second night and saving the 9.5K points. At check in, I'll ask for the reservations to be linked so I don't have to move rooms, but I'd be okay if they say they can't do it (though I really think they will do it).

The only negative is not getting the 1 night stay credit, but it's okay.

I was able to have Hyatt Explorist status due to the MGM grand status match, is there another way to earn Explorist status?

I was able to have Hyatt Explorist status due to the MGM grand status match, is there another way to earn Explorist status?
hit the nights + nights on cc you can only do the status match I think a certain number of times in a time period (a hyatt question I'm not sure of lol) I do know most of the time you cant do it back to back.

I'm joining the "a Delta Gold card is not worth a $150 annual fee" crowd.

I won't get charged for my annual fee until later in the year.

I see that there is a Delta Skymiles Blue AmEx card which has no annual fee.

If I decide to downgrade, what is the procedure? What's the timing? Do I just call shortly before I would get hit with the annual fee, or is there something else I should know?

interesting..... yeah I'm looking at Manhattan so all 5* -6 awards.... I;m sure that's it....
I've stayed at the PHNY on points before but it was booked about 6 months before. The Park Hyatts and the Andazes (sp?) seem to want a certain number of nights, and calling Hyatt can't always fix it. I tried to add a 2 night stay onto a 7 night Andaz stay in Maui (with a suite upgrade so it needs to be a different reservation) and even the Globalist concierge couldn't get them to agree to do it. It's ok, we are staying somewhere else for those 2 nights so we can use up the Hilton resort coupon book credits and our FHR credit, but it's really annoying that Hyatt is doing this.

If I decide to downgrade, what is the procedure? What's the timing? Do I just call shortly before I would get hit with the annual fee, or is there something else I should know?
I will end up keeping mine for the luggage benefits. And the 15% mileage discount. Not happy about the fee though.

Thanks. It is just so different. We know Disney World so well and nothing about Disneyland. But it will be fun to try something new.
Not a DL expert- have only been once. Are you a "I could sleep anywhere, it's just a room" type person or are you a "I really like a nice accomodation" person? It was on our only trip to DL where we stayed at the Howard Johnson, which so many people on the DL forum raved about. On the backend of the trip we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on property. It wasn't until we got to the Disneyland Hotel that I felt like I was actually on vacation. That trip really helped me solidify some of my travel style. Now I know that I like nice lodging and it sort of makes/breaks a trip for me.

Well, looks like Delta Stays is just an Expedia overlay. Here's how this was helpful for me:
I'm staying two nights at a Hyatt Place outside Atlanta for my cousin's son's birthday party. First night was 8K Hyatt points, the second was 9.5K. I found the property on Delta Stays and it was $147 per night on either night--so I'm using up the credit on my Delta Biz Gold ($150) to book the second night and saving the 9.5K points. At check in, I'll ask for the reservations to be linked so I don't have to move rooms, but I'd be okay if they say they can't do it (though I really think they will do it).

The only negative is not getting the 1 night stay credit, but it's okay.
where do you find the delta stays- is this just booking thru the Delta website?

I’ve downgraded to the Delta Blue twice since having my original Delta Gold (2012 I think). I just call and say I want the no AF card and they switch me and credited my AF (I wait until it hits). I re-upgraded to gold once when I got a good email offer and then downgraded the next year when the AF hit.

I will end up keeping mine for the luggage benefits. And the 15% mileage discount. Not happy about the fee though.

We almost never check bags anymore and we don’t fly Delta exclusively since we don’t live near a hub for any specific airline. More often than not we get the offer to check our bags thru to the destination at the gate so sometimes we’ll do that (of course that requires a carry on size bag to begin with).

Thanks. It is just so different. We know Disney World so well and nothing about Disneyland. But it will be fun to try something new. Trying to figure out their night time shows. I know they have WOC but not familiar with what it is and Fantasmic is set to reopen end of May. That one is always great. Not sure if it is different.
If you value your feet and time, book the WOC dessert party. You get dessert and a drink but even better, chairs to sit on. People line up hours ahead for that show. It's very unique and nothing you'll see at WDW. Fantasmic was good, we did a dining package when we went last because I had a broken shoulder at the time. I felt it was worth it because I'm not a stand in-line forever kind of person. I'm not a huge Fantasmic fan but it was definitely different than the WDW version.
For hotels, most of the really close places are motels. There are some chain hotels, most are a bit of a walk and farther than the motels. If I had no budget I'd for sure do with Grand Californian, but in real life I'm fine with a motel since it's close and we spend way more time in the parks. That said, many of the motels are conveniently close to take a break mid day which we never do at WDW. Also park hopping is amazingly easy, and so close. Have fun!

It's time for DH's next Chase business card, would you go for the CIP with 100K SUB or the CIC with the 75K SUB?
The AF of the CIP would make the SUB more like 90K URs. Thoughts?

How much of your spend can you make happen with fee free VGC at Staples? How much would be 3% travel if you went CIP?

CIC 75k SUB + 30K UR at Staples = 105k for 6k spend no AF. CIP 100k SUB + 8,000 UR at 1% = 108k UR but you owe about 10k back for the AF and you had to do 2k more in spend.

We play the VGC game whenever we can here, so, unless there was a specific spend that we couldn't use those cards for, we'd go CIC. I've got a CIC that I need to go to Staples next week finish the SUB, lol.

The two Hyatt CCs have elevated SUBs until 3/6, and I'm tempted to help me keep Globalist beyond this year. I was waiting for an elevated SUB to get the personal one since I figured it would be a keeper for me, but the higher offer is only 5K more points than normal. Meanwhile, the Biz card is 15K higher. I wouldn't be getting any new cards until close to the end date of the elevated SUB (around early March), so I'd only be getting one. Seems like I should plan to apply for the Biz one, then, right? Or am I missing something?

My previous ways of earning Globalist were promotions and mattress runs, these cards seem like a lot less work 😆

I’ve downgraded to the Delta Blue twice since having my original Delta Gold (2012 I think). I just call and say I want the no AF card and they switch me and credited my AF (I wait until it hits). I re-upgraded to gold once when I got a good email offer and then downgraded the next year when the AF hit.

We almost never check bags anymore and we don’t fly Delta exclusively since we don’t live near a hub for any specific airline. More often than not we get the offer to check our bags thru to the destination at the gate so sometimes we’ll do that (of course that requires a carry on size bag to begin with).
Thank you!!!

the Andaz is nice but it is difficult to get availability under 3 nights, PH NY is a hard-to-get-on-point hotel from my experience I ended up going hyatt prive I had a deal I haven't found good availability since they went up to 40k points a night.. Thompson is pretty easy to get available. so is Beekman, (i use NYC as my international jump point and don't mind going there the night before) :). I was going to book Dreams for my upcoming trip but I read so many bad reviews on flyertalk i decided to pass.
Also wanted to add the 2 times I've been to PH NYC the rate was low enough that to me getting 1.2-1.5 cents a point wasn't worth it.
thanks!

We're hosting our DS's rehearsal dinner in late March. The total will probably be around $5000, however if we use a CC they will charge 3% fee. So $150 in fees. I'm presuming most would take that fee in trade for a SUB?

Now I just have to figure out what card to grab next.

For us RDU-ers, did you see there will be a new announcement for an int'l destination on Monday? I suppose it could be something in the Caribbean/S or C America/Canada, but it would be fun to have another EU destination!

We're hosting our DS's rehearsal dinner in late March. The total will probably be around $5000, however if we use a CC they will charge 3% fee. So $150 in fees. I'm presuming most would take that fee in trade for a SUB?

Now I just have to figure out what card to grab next.

For us RDU-ers, did you see there will be a new announcement for an int'l destination on Monday? I suppose it could be something in the Caribbean/S or C America/Canada, but it would be fun to have another EU destination!
Here's hoping for something fun out of RDU!

And I definitely would trade $150 for a SUB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter