I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Is anyone aware of any NLL Amex offers out there for the plat or gold biz cards? I have a big spend coming up and need to take a break from Chase CICs but definitely more interested in something I can cash out like MR thru Schwab vs hotel/airline cards. The only upgrade offers I have right now are for 25k.

Ok, this is a bit of a what would you do question....

So just before the first of the year I supported DH for a CIC and I patiently waited for my support points to post. Week after week I would check on Tuesday/Wednesday and never would see any points pending. Of course we both have multiple CIC's and I didn't write down which card I supported him from and began to think maybe I made a mistake when I supported him and supported him from one of his own cards. I didn't want to call or SM and draw eyes to the situation and was ready to write the whole thing off.

So this morning I get an email from Chase saying "hey cash back coming your way". So when I start looking, it for one of my CIC's that is now closed. The last transaction on the card was in November and the last statement closed on January 26th. On the statement online it looks like I have 40k UR's for the period but when I look at the account online it looks like I have redeemed the 40K and the email states the "$400 credit should be applied to your account by 2/2/24" as if I redeemed the points. Problem is, there is no balance and no credit balance on the account.

Do you think I supported from this card, didn't remember it was this card, closed it and now that the support points have posted I've screwed myself? I don't want to really draw more eyes to my account but then if I can get the points I want them.

I've also decided that from now on I will be noting which cards we are supporting from on my spreadsheet so this does not happen again. The support points usually only take 2-3 weeks to post. This has been like a month if this is what it was.

Hello to whoever mods the Reddit sub. :)
I messaged to join, but I didn't see that I needed to click on the ... to see that I was required to include my username on here as part of my request to join. The mod messaged me to ask, so I gave it but haven't heard anything back. It's been several days, and now I can't even find those messages. I'm clearly not a regular on Reddit. ;) Should I just try again through the link on page 1 of this thread?
You sent us your username yesterday. The Reddit mod stuff is pain in the behind on mobile. We’ll work at clearing you tomorrow 😀

You just sent us your username yesterday. The Reddit mod stuff is pain in the behind on mobile. We’ll work at clearing you tomorrow 😀
huh, that's weird. I was sick in bed all day yesterday. But the days have been a blur, so there's that. eta: there's no rush. I was just concerned my request had disappeared. Thank you for letting me know! I appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the encouragement. The 90K URs are pending in my husband's CIC.

I had to juggle some funds around because I generally don't have extra money lying around.

I won't have to pay for groceries, the gas bill, the internet bill, or the electric bill for awhile.

So just before the first of the year I supported DH for a CIC and I patiently waited for my support points to post. Week after week I would check on Tuesday/Wednesday and never would see any points pending. Of course we both have multiple CIC's and I didn't write down which card I supported him from and began to think maybe I made a mistake when I supported him and supported him from one of his own cards. I didn't want to call or SM and draw eyes to the situation and was ready to write the whole thing off.

So this morning I get an email from Chase saying "hey cash back coming your way". So when I start looking, it for one of my CIC's that is now closed. The last transaction on the card was in November and the last statement closed on January 26th. On the statement online it looks like I have 40k UR's for the period but when I look at the account online it looks like I have redeemed the 40K and the email states the "$400 credit should be applied to your account by 2/2/24" as if I redeemed the points. Problem is, there is no balance and no credit balance on the account.

Do you think I supported from this card, didn't remember it was this card, closed it and now that the support points have posted I've screwed myself? I don't want to really draw more eyes to my account but then if I can get the points I want them.

I've also decided that from now on I will be noting which cards we are supporting from on my spreadsheet so this does not happen again. The support points usually only take 2-3 weeks to post. This has been like a month if this is what it was.
I’ve never seen that email….does it give you the option under…redeem points…combine points To transfer them to another card ?

It sounds like the points were automatically cashed out. I think some states have rules about losing points on closed credit cards. I remember seeing an exception for New York before. It does say by 2/2, so maybe it just needs a few more days to post.

If this wasn't what happened and you have the 40k still in the closed account, there is DP on r/churning that you can move them.

I do think you supported from that card. Normally, I would think you'd be SOL, but I would wait until 2/2 and see if you get this $400 credit. You can have it ACH to your bank account or transferred to another acct if you have another Chase balance.
I'm not sure when you canceled the card, I'm assuming sometime in January since you received a Jan 26 statement. If nothing materializes by 2/2, you could see about reopening the Chase card, which sounds like Chase will do if it's a card closed within 30 days, but I don't have any personal experience with that. IDK if that would help these 40k points materialize, as usually when you close an account that has points, you lose the points (not sure if that's immediate).

Is there a date on the 40k redemption? Does it match up with anything, like perhaps the date you cancelled?

I’ve never seen that email….does it give you the option under…redeem points…combine points To transfer them to another card ?
I've never received an email like that before either except on our CSR when we have redeemed points on there. It was odd. No option to transfer the points to another card.
It sounds like the points were automatically cashed out. I think some states have rules about losing points on closed credit cards. I remember seeing an exception for New York before. It does say by 2/2, so maybe it just needs a few more days to post.

If this wasn't what happened and you have the 40k still in the closed account, there is DP on r/churning that you can move them.
I wonder if this was the case. I usually close my CIC's after the one year mark.
I do think you supported from that card. Normally, I would think you'd be SOL, but I would wait until 2/2 and see if you get this $400 credit. You can have it ACH to your bank account or transferred to another acct if you have another Chase balance.
I'm not sure when you canceled the card, I'm assuming sometime in January since you received a Jan 26 statement. If nothing materializes by 2/2, you could see about reopening the Chase card, which sounds like Chase will do if it's a card closed within 30 days, but I don't have any personal experience with that. IDK if that would help these 40k points materialize, as usually when you close an account that has points, you lose the points (not sure if that's immediate).

Is there a date on the 40k redemption? Does it match up with anything, like perhaps the date you cancelled?
It does appear that I supported from this card. The redemption date is January 30th.

So this morning when I log into my account, it shows a $400 credit on that account as if I did cash in the points for a statement credit. This credit was not showing on the account yesterday. I will SM them and see if I can apply it to one of my open cards. If that's not an option then I will see if I can reopen the account since it was closed sometime within the last 30 days. This is my lesson to keep better track of which cards I use to support to and from and the dates I close them.

Having a difficult time with hotel points. DW and I both have Hilton and Marriott cards that generate FNCs each year but don’t put much spend on the cards. I feel like we should go all in on one and get a couple of new cards to build point balance up. But restrictions on Marriott cards are problematic and Hilton’s point redemption value is terrible. Have heard chatter about Hyatt but their sign-on bonus isn’t anything to write home about.

Interested to hear what hotel point strategy works best for you.

Thank you for clarifying that! I am slowly figuring this out. My Chase Sapphire is my oldest account, I think. I need to double check that. I don't want to cancel that one. I think my husband could apply and get the Sapphire Reserve that is supposed to be better.
This may have been already mentioned but in case it wasn't, you can product change your sapphire card to a freedom card and keep the "age" of the account (the card number doesn't change). Just be sure to avoid the words close/cancel when you request it.

I've never received an email like that before either except on our CSR when we have redeemed points on there. It was odd. No option to transfer the points to another card.

I wonder if this was the case. I usually close my CIC's after the one year mark.

It does appear that I supported from this card. The redemption date is January 30th.

So this morning when I log into my account, it shows a $400 credit on that account as if I did cash in the points for a statement credit. This credit was not showing on the account yesterday. I will SM them and see if I can apply it to one of my open cards. If that's not an option then I will see if I can reopen the account since it was closed sometime within the last 30 days. This is my lesson to keep better track of which cards I use to support to and from and the dates I close them.
Looks like you are getting your cash back.

About referral:

I referred DD from my Disney Premier account not too long ago, late 2023.

Guess where the points ended up? In my regular Disney card account, which is listed first in my long list of Chase cards.
The premier was the one I was going to close after transferring the points.

Now it still has a random amount left stranded because you need $10 to redeem, which is why I used it to refer. I'd have to spend too much to get it up to $10. It's minor but still irritating.

Edit: it just occurred to me to drop it on reddit to maybe get another referral and try again.

Oof. $1200 each for me and p2, on the 1099s from Chase.

Ouch. $900 for me. This is also the first year ever that we owe so it just adds fuel to the fire.

I apologize if I missed this (have been out of town), but is there a minimum for the 1099s? Is that the $600? I think we only did 1 referral last year, which was for Chase with 40k URs. We haven't seen anything yet.

I have a couple of slightly off-topic questions (but it is related to your ability to get credit cards LOL.) I've been hearing a lot of news lately about major data breaches. Do y'all think it's a good idea to "freeze your credit"? If so, how do you go about doing that? What are the downsides, if any?

Also, I always hear ads saying how easy it is for someone to steal your home title and they are selling a service to protect you. Does anyone know if that's a real danger or is that a scam?

Hyatt..... I like using UR to book rooms, the problem that I keep bumping into is the lack of award rooms overall. There are soooo many properties that just say 'no award space' basically all the time. Kind of frustrating- what do you all think?

So, decided that I would like to go to Disneyland sometime in May, June or July with DD22, She is a nurse and works 12 hour days and every 3rd weekend. So, if we go the week after she works a weekend then we can go a Wednesday - Sunday and she does not have to take any time off of work.

I have not been to Disneyland in 40 years (it was 1 day for a Choir Trip in High School). Been trying to read up on the Disneyland Board and ordered a Birnbaum Book for 2024.

We have been to Disneyworld lots of times and normally stay at Boardwalk DVC (a friend of DH's has points we rent from him). So, it is engraved in me at Disneyworld to stay on site. But seems it is not that important at Disneyland?? Any input on good places to stay. I want within walking distance - preferably across the street. I have some Marriott Points and will have 3 FN Certificates (2 at 35k and 1 at 50K) So, with adding points - (basically 2 at 50k and 1 at 65k). I also have some IHG points and have a ton of UR's that I can transfer to Hyatt or wherever. So, do we stay offsite or try and do DVC there - although I feel like that might be hard to get with only a few places to stay on points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Having a difficult time with hotel points. DW and I both have Hilton and Marriott cards that generate FNCs each year but don’t put much spend on the cards. I feel like we should go all in on one and get a couple of new cards to build point balance up. But restrictions on Marriott cards are problematic and Hilton’s point redemption value is terrible. Have heard chatter about Hyatt but their sign-on bonus isn’t anything to write home about.

Interested to hear what hotel point strategy works best for you.
We also don’t really spend on the hotel cards. We keep them for the FN certs and whatever other perks we can use up. We tend to only use our hotel points for aspirational properties that far outweigh the average CPP.

With Hilton, l don’t mind buying the points during a 100% bonus offer. I will let them build up and what should cost over $4,000 wound up costing about $700 and helped me meet an MSR at the same time.

Sometimes the variable transfer currencies like Amex and Chase offer bonuses to hotels like Marriott that may make sense given the situation. I am looking at a Marriott that is well over $3,000 per night sometimes so there I’d be willing to transfer especially during a bonus.

Sometimes canceling or downgrading a card to qualify for a Marriott card may make sense as well.

Chase URs for me are basically Hyatt points currency since I consistently get well over 2 cents per point in value. The free night certificate with the card is useful for many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter