• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I typically advocate planning trips two years out. Sometimes though, unexpected trips don’t allow for that. I made it off the waitlist for Taylor Swift tickets in Wembley! We also managed to tickets to the concert. Thanks to this hobby, I was able to book flights there and back plus hotels. So this is how this unexpected trip across the pond turns out with points and miles.

I booked flights to Paris on Air France in J using miles that were going to expire next year. These were the refunded miles from when I changed my AF flight from Tahiti this past summer to an earlier flight using Alaska Miles instead. We will fly in a couple days before the show and I booked 2 nights at the Paris Hyatt Vendome. This hotel has been a bucket list destination for quite some time. We plan to take the Eurostar to London the day of the show and check into a nearby Hilton for one night booked on points. The next morning we will fly out on Virgin Atlantic in upper class. I took advantage of the 30% transfer bonus with Chase that I believe expires today.

Im pretty pleased with this surprise trip.
We stayed there on our Paris trip 5 years ago. Very nice and convenient location. I remember the service
was way above average (especially concierge) . This was right before Covid though so don't know how
much has changed. Beautiful hotel.

Thank you for mentioning this! I am in the process of looking for a card for my oldest DD. She's in her first year of college, has been an auth user on our amex cards for several years and has had a PT job of varying degrees for several years. I was considering adding her as an auth user on my freedom unlimited just so she could have a visa for the times that she is places that don't take amex. How long was your nephew an auth on your chase card before he applied? I'd like for her to have a card of her own, so that she can start building her own credit and in looking at this card it seems like its a good starter card.

I definitely do not think it matters whether they are an AU or not for this Freedom Rise card. The banker at Chase told my nephew is credit score is 4 and that he would probably not get approved. He still got approved without ever having been an AU.

From their website: "Having a Chase checking account with a balance of at least $250 will increase your chances of getting approved for Chase Freedom RiseSM." My nephew has had a checking acct there and it had around $500 because he had just received his paycheck.

ETA: I think the biggest deciding factor is their banking history at Chase.
DD18 also got the Chase Freedom Rise as her first credit card. She opened a Chase student checking account first (and got a $100 bank bonus) before getting the Freedom Rise. She's been an AU on my and DH's cards (Chase & Amex) for years, and her credit score is 740 which seems pretty good for an 18 yr old. She wants simplicity so I don't know if I'll be able to get her to branch out more in the future, but I will do my best lol.

We stayed there on our Paris trip 5 years ago. Very nice and convenient location. I remember the service
was way above average (especially concierge) . This was right before Covid though so don't know how
much has changed. Beautiful hotel.
We were just there this past summer - it's still a lovely hotel. Room service was excellent. We had an issue with our shower one day - it took less than 5 minutes from when we called until it was fixed. I didn't use the concierge this time, but they were great years ago when we stayed there.

they had a good deal from RDU to Italy new non stop routes on air france i wanna say 32k in business a few days ago might want to see if its not all gone. unless you are locked to delta.
Thanks for the suggestions! We aren't locked to Delta, but DH is PM so he prefers to fly Delta. Thankfully, they walked back some of their changes for next year so he can keep status another year or two.

So frustrated with the application for the Chase Hyatt card. The status line (phone) has said "two weeks" since Monday. I've talked to a rep twice and no info at all about what's the holdup. I don't think I've ever had this experience with an app before--talking with the rep has always gotten me somewhere. Now they just say "it's under review."

Is there any downside to having my husband "add an employee card" for me on a Chase Biz (just to make me feel better about using a card that has my own name on it). If it matters, I have a handful of Chase Biz cards myself so I don't know if they would look askance at my now being an "employee" of someone else.

Question about Chase offers… I booked a flight through Air Canada Aeroplan last night. This morning I was looking through my Chase offers and realized there’s an Air Canada 10% back offer on the card that I used. After smacking myself in the head repeatedly, I added the offer to the card. The charge is still pending. Any data points on the offer maybe possibly working even though it was technically added after the charge was made??

Question about Chase offers… I booked a flight through Air Canada Aeroplan last night. This morning I was looking through my Chase offers and realized there’s an Air Canada 10% back offer on the card that I used. After smacking myself in the head repeatedly, I added the offer to the card. The charge is still pending. Any data points on the offer maybe possibly working even though it was technically added after the charge was made??
Can you cancel and rebook?

pretty sure I did the same once with a Chase offer and it worked

Thanks for the suggestions! We aren't locked to Delta, but DH is PM so he prefers to fly Delta. Thankfully, they walked back some of their changes for next year so he can keep status another year or two.
yeah I qualified for 2024 not sure I'm going to for 2025 tbh aa seems pretty easy with the shopping portal counting as status. I've saved some money booking direct with UA and AA upcoming did snag a flight for delta to dca well see how the rest of the year pans out. Also, remember Business class tickets tend to have lounge access it doesn't matter status that 32k was for a business class fare I think it was 32-35k each way. As I do this edit though I'm sure its gone that's how it usually happens. the fact that delta said they upgrade less then 15% of their medallion members and the changes getting pushed made me go FA. I think next year or 2 well be right back at the announcement.

Last edited:
Weird southwest thing. Got a "your change is confirmed" email for a flight in January. I didn't make any changes. In looking at it closely, SW changed the flight, eliminated the connection city and changed it to a different connection city, getting in 90 mins later. But the email I got wasn't the typical, "there's been a change to your flight" email with the ability to change flights for no cost. No banner on my itinerary. My acct hasn't been hacked, this is legitimately SW eliminating my flight (It's no longer an option to book on that date) and processing the change as if it was done self-service by the customer. Same deal for P2's flight, just without any notification email at all.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? I probably would take advantage of the free change if it were offered.

Glad you had a great time at U2/Sphere. Any tips? We dinner reservations at a restaurant in the Venetian (not fancy/fine dining) for 5:45, I’m presuming it’s enough time to eat and walk over.

RDU doesn’t have direct to any cities in Italy, but they do have direct from RDU to CDG (AF) and RDU to FRA (Lufthansa). When I was actively looking, final destinations in Rome (or Zurich) were same amount of points as CDG/FRA. So good options from RDU to Italy, but not direct.
I think you will be fine with a 5:45 reservation. They didn't start playing until 8:30 on the night we were there. Just wear comfy shoes because it is probably a 15 minute walk from the Venetian using the walkway to the Sphere. Not sure where you are staying, but we Ubered there and walked back to the Bellagio. The Uber drive had recommended that we not uber from the sphere after the show. He suggested we walk to the Mirage or Treasure Island and then call an uber. Once we got to the strip, we just decided to walk. Drinks are not cheap. Water was $7. We didn't get fancy drinks, but they were very pricey as well. Have fun!!!

yeah I qualified for 2024 not sure I'm going to for 2025 tbh aa seems pretty easy with the shopping portal counting as status. I've saved some money booking direct with UA and AA upcoming did snag a flight for delta to dca well see how the rest of the year pans out. Also, remember Business class tickets tend to have lounge access it doesn't matter status that 32k was for a business class fare I think it was 32-35k each way. As I do this edit though I'm sure its gone that's how it usually happens. the fact that delta said they upgrade less then 15% of their medallion members and the changes getting pushed made me go FA. I think next year or 2 well be right back at the announcement.
I agree that we will be right back at the announcement in a couple of years. We definitely need to look at status with UA and AA. We no longer live in Atlanta and have to take a connecting flight to all destinations. UA and AA both service our local airports so I really need to start looking into it.

I think you will be fine with a 5:45 reservation. They didn't start playing until 8:30 on the night we were there. Just wear comfy shoes because it is probably a 15 minute walk from the Venetian using the walkway to the Sphere. Not sure where you are staying, but we Ubered there and walked back to the Bellagio. The Uber drive had recommended that we not uber from the sphere after the show. He suggested we walk to the Mirage or Treasure Island and then call an uber. Once we got to the strip, we just decided to walk. Drinks are not cheap. Water was $7. We didn't get fancy drinks, but they were very pricey as well. Have fun!!!

Thanks! We’re at the Bellagio as well. We figured we’d walk to dinner then walk to Sphere. Good advice about ubering back (original plan).

Weird southwest thing. Got a "your change is confirmed" email for a flight in January. I didn't make any changes. In looking at it closely, SW changed the flight, eliminated the connection city and changed it to a different connection city, getting in 90 mins later. But the email I got wasn't the typical, "there's been a change to your flight" email with the ability to change flights for no cost. No banner on my itinerary. My acct hasn't been hacked, this is legitimately SW eliminating my flight (It's no longer an option to book on that date) and processing the change as if it was done self-service by the customer. Same deal for P2's flight, just without any notification email at all.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? I probably would take advantage of the free change if it were offered.
There were a lot of changes made over the weekend by SW. You will still have access to the free change, but you'll have to call in to get it. My flight to MCO got changed this weekend too, but I got the standard email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter