I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I closed my Chase Ink Unlimited(have another ink unlimited still open) in the beginning of the month. Maybe Oct 3/4? I’d like to apply for a Chase Ink Cash. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time after closing?

Status match from Delta platinum.
They gave me the level 3 mosaic. Then the if I got the credit card from the status match link they waive the 99$ fee and the signup bonus is easy 1k for 70k points. Also if I got the card I get another year of mosaic so I signed up.
Nice! I don't have any Delta status. That's a sweet deal. I don't think I'll ever have Mosaic haha.

I closed my Chase Ink Unlimited(have another ink unlimited still open) in the beginning of the month. Maybe Oct 3/4? I’d like to apply for a Chase Ink Cash. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time after closing?
I've closed an ink on Friday, and app'ed for a new Ink on that following Monday, and was approved. I don't think a waiting period really matters.

I need some help that is only tangentially travel / cc. My son is doing study abroad in Paris starting in January for 4 months (flight bought with AA miles to keep it related :) ). We live in Miami and I know that I am making ourselves look sooooo ignorant but I have no idea what clothes he needs. What do college kids wear in Paris, what coats do you need for average temps of 46/37? What shoes? He will be going to class, commuting on the Metro, doing lots of walking around. He doesn't need to look like he's attending fashion week but I want him to look polished and nice. Thanks for any help!

ETA: I have been doing research - my post sounds like I haven't but, for example, are sneakers something you wear in Jan/Feb or should I buy him some boots? Do those temps require he wear something under his jeans or are other pants better? We have the wool hiking socks from when we went to Utah so will send those. Our coldest travel has been N.Carolina/Tenn. over New Year's for a few days and we bundled up as best we could.

Last edited:

You are fine applying, just keep in mind your pacing with chase…recommendations are 90 days on average between applications and total credit outstanding with Chase…around 50% of household income or $75,000 whichever is lower…these are guidelines not hard rules

You are fine applying, just keep in mind your pacing with chase…recommendations are 90 days on average between applications and total credit outstanding with Chase…around 50% of household income or $75,000 whichever is lower…these are guidelines not hard rules

Thank you for the reminder. I haven’t gotten any cards since June but I just checked my limits and am close. I will lower my limits today on something.

I need some help that is only tangentially travel / cc. My son is doing study abroad in Paris starting in January for 4 months (flight bought with AA miles to keep it related :) ). We live in Miami and I know that I am making ourselves look sooooo ignorant but I have no idea what clothes he needs. What do college kids wear in Paris, what coats do you need for average temps of 46/37? What shoes? He will be going to class, commuting on the Metro, doing lots of walking around. He doesn't need to look like he's attending fashion week but I want him to look polished and nice. Thanks for any help!

ETA: I have been doing research - my post sounds like I haven't but, for example, are sneakers something you wear in Jan/Feb or should I buy him some boots? Do those temps require he wear something under his jeans or are other pants better? We have the wool hiking socks from when we went to Utah so will send those. Our coldest travel has been N.Carolina/Tenn. over New Year's for a few days and we bundled up as best we could.
I think sending him with a puffer jacket, a rain jacket, some wool socks, and some comfortable waterproof sneakers and his normal clothes is fine. Also some shopping money.

I have a quick point redemption value question. It’s just for my personal tracking. I just checked my Chase UR redemptions for the year so far and I’ve used pay yourself back for all over my points. Nothing travel related that I needed was in the portal so I purchased my flights on the card and then have been using pay myself back at grocery stores for the extra 25%.

I have redeemed 300,000 points. So in my mind should I be thinking I redeemed $3000 or is it really $3750 because of the extra 25%?

I have a quick point redemption value question. It’s just for my personal tracking. I just checked my Chase UR redemptions for the year so far and I’ve used pay yourself back for all over my points. Nothing travel related that I needed was in the portal so I purchased my flights on the card and then have been using pay myself back at grocery stores for the extra 25%.

I have redeemed 300,000 points. So in my mind should I be thinking I redeemed $3000 or is it really $3750 because of the extra 25%?
$3750

Nice! I don't have any Delta status. That's a sweet deal. I don't think I'll ever have Mosaic haha.
yeah i don't usually open credit cards but with both status matches and me going full speed on being a free agent. we already saved a few hundred on a direct flight with UA over a connecting flight with delta. This is probably the approach i should have done last year when delta slowly increased the barriers of entry this year it was just more of a shock with the limited skyclub visits. I will be closing my wife as an AU on my reserve card I dont see the point. Im still hoping jetblue does a non stop from Florida to Europe if so ill be burning those certificates right now i can only use the mint if i fly into new york to europe.

My child did a study abroad from Feb-May in Prague. There were some COLD days! I'd suggest a google search on 'study abroad Paris/Europe winter' for example. Definitely a warm jacket and some thermals for under his jeans. I also agree with sending some $$, but be aware that clothes are more expensive in Europe. Also a good sized backpack for weekend travels out and about - my kid and her roommates visited 8 different cities in her 16 weeks there! Bus trips are cheap, other countries are close so why not?

I have one resort credit that just reset and I'll be using soon and another that resets 12/22, lol, so now I'm going to have to figure out how to use that in the 9 remaining days of 2023. 🤣 I'm sure I can work out some churning math. DH's companion pass expires at the end of the year, so that calls for a trip, right? :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, I do think I've seen DPs on various FT forums that some resorts will allow you to prepay a room charge deposit on your Aspire. So perhaps I will do that for a January stay.
I still haven't seen confirmation that the $250 resort credit will reset between now and end of 2023. I've read a lot about double dipping the airline credit and even the T&Cs specifically point out if you have the card already, you will have until 12/31/23 to use it. But nothing in reference to the resort credit.
Quoting myself to give an update. All $250 SW airfare reimbursements posted by today...AND I got an additional $50 credit so now I have a negative balance on my card! I'm confused but ok Amex I'm not going to complain.
Thanks for the DP! Based on what I've read, this is the way it should work. If you already had the card before changes announced, you get the original $250 and the new $50/quarter. I had already used my $250 earlier in the year but was waiting on more DPs to see if I can get the $50.
Do you plan to re-spend the $50? It sounds like something that has the potential to be clawed back and knowing Amex, they'd do it next year when you can no longer reuse it.
Ditto.

I still haven't seen confirmation that the $250 resort credit will reset between now and end of 2023. I've read a lot about double dipping the airline credit and even the T&Cs specifically point out if you have the card already, you will have until 12/31/23 to use it. But nothing in reference to the resort credit.

From the e-mail about the Aspire changes:
"Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members approved prior to October 19, 2023 will receive up to $250 in statement credits per membership year for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts through December 31, 2023."

So I'm pretty sure it'll work. But I won't have a DP until end of the year.

He will be fine with comfortable sneakers, a light puffer, a fleece jacket, jeans and long-sleeve shirts will be plenty. April will be starting to get warm, so a few short-sleeve shirts and a good waterproof jacket. From my observations on public transit in Europe most people wear sneakers for everyday and dress up more to go out on weekends. Your son can grab stylish and inexpensive clothes at Monoprix (think of it like a bit more upscale Target) if / when needed. He might want a nice scarf – men wear them to dress up jeans and shirts in Paris (have you ever watched The Parisian Agency on Netflix — great show if you don’t mind subtitles). Storage is at a premium in Paris apartments, so young people are experts at capsule wardrobes — he doesn’t need much as long as everything can be mixed and matched.

Are you going to visit him?

My dd did 6 months in England, not Paris, but still LOL. She took a winter coat, a thin easily packable one. She took boots, but not winter boots, chunky clarks, more probably because she liked them. It did get pretty cool sometimes and she wore her coat quite a lot.

From the e-mail about the Aspire changes:
"Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members approved prior to October 19, 2023 will receive up to $250 in statement credits per membership year for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts through December 31, 2023."

So I'm pretty sure it'll work. But I won't have a DP until end of the year.
Thanks! I can't find the email. I don't have a resort stay until Xmas so I'll find out then as well.

I have a Southwest personal card I want to close. What do I need to know? When should I do it? I opened it mid-November (mdd, on a weekend, and miraculously still worked)

Wait for the anniversary points to post. your AF will also post on your statement. You can then close via SM and the AF will be refunded. Just don’t wait more than 30 days after posting.

Also, depending on the card, you can also use a) the $75 annual credit (you can buy a SW gift card on their site to hit it) and b) the EBCI/upgraded boarding (if you happen to have a flight where that works in the 30 days after AF hits).

I'm so sorry this happened! That's terrible -- I guess at least you saved some time knowing exactly what happened rather than wondering what happened between the delivery and when you didn't find it when you returned home.

A few years ago, my DH got his SSN stolen and it was used to order like 4 phones and a tablet from TMobile and had a phone and tablet delivered to our home. I happened to work from home and since our dog barks at everything, I knew something had been delivered immediately and got it from the porch. Anyway, we aren't sure if someone was planning to swipe it after delivery or if they HAD to send something to our address as to not raise suspicions with all those devices going somewhere we'd never lived. It's a terrible feeling.
That is very scary... glad you were home and stopped it. It is very clear from watching video and seeing the Uhaul Truck go down our Culdesac 3 times before he finally stopped and picked up the package, that he is working with the Fedex guy. Hope they get them both. Have clear pics of both of them.

Do you have fedex alerts signed up for your address? There was a scam awhile back where people would register others addresses as their own, and then be notified when packages were being delivered to that address. After that scam started we registered ours for usps, ups, and fedex to help prevent that.

Either way, not your fault and people suck! Just wanted to share that tip if you haven't done it before: I am glad you are getting a new phone!
No. Just USPS. But DH had got notification that it was delivered by AT&T. That's why he was confused when it wasn't there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter