I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Any suggestions on places to stay in Salem, MA? Planning a few nights there and Boston next Sept.

We are back from our travel hacked Virgin Voyages Irresistible Med cruise. We followed that up with a day in DLP, not travel hacked except for the flight. After that another flight on miles to Manchester and caught a train to Wales where we spent 4 nights touring before heading to London to crash at a Hilton on points before our morning flight on BA (using Avios) back home.

It was our first time flying Iberia and while their business class product isn't something to write home about, I'd definitely fly them again. It was only 51.5K miles for a lie flat seat.

We were traveling with my BFF TA so I didn't need to do much in the way of planning. We did a tours by locals on our Barcelona pre stay and visited Sagrada Familia.

I didn't like any of the excursions offered by Virgin during the cruise so we mostly explored each port. The exception was Cinque Terre. Here, I really wanted to see the villages from the ocean and not with crowds of people, hiking and trains and whatnot. My TA was able to secure 2 private boats for the day since 11 in our group of 13 wanted to come with on this adventure. We sailed around and stopped at a few of the villages and had time to swim in the Mediterranean sea for those who wished to do so. They provided local wines and local charcuterie for lunch among other snacks. This was my favorite day of the cruise as was for our other traveling companions. For those of you who enjoy cruising, it is definitely worth thinking outside the box when you don't like the excursions available with the cruise line.

We hired a local guide in Wales that my TA found as none of us were keen on driving on the left side of the road. Plus, I'd rather sightsee and hear about local culture and history than pay attention to and try to decipher road signs in Welsh. Here we stayed at Inns and B&Bs as the large corporate chains aren't as available in the countryside. Even if they were, I prefer the charm and quirks of an old fishing villages turned into an Inn or B&B. We stayed at one place that had nary a proper right angle to be found :laughing:

We also stayed at the Wildings Hotel in Llandudno. Llandudno was the holiday destination of the real Alice in Wonderland, Alice Liddell, who inspired Lewis Carroll’s famous story. The Wildings Hotel’s link with the books began when Alice Liddell, stayed in Llandudno in 1861. The census that year shows the Liddell family, along with Alice aged 8, residing The Wildings Hotel. Back then the hotel was known as ‘Tudno Villa’ and then became St Tudno Hotel before being renamed The Wildings Hotel in 2021.

I attempted to pack carry on only as I am an over packer. I failed epically at this endeavor. Firstly, I did decide to pack a Dapper style dress with full petticoat, gloves, fascinator, shoes etc. for Scarlet Night on the ship. Secondly, I failed to recall that 54F in Wales is NOT AT ALL the same as 54F in South Florida. An extra jacket simply did not cut it. I now own a hoodie with a Welsh Dragon from the Visitor's center LOL

Below a few favorite pics from the trip.

View attachment 800652

View attachment 800653

View attachment 800654
View attachment 800662

^ Lessons in what NOT to pack for carry on only ^

View attachment 800663

View attachment 800655

View attachment 800656

View attachment 800659
Hi! Would you mind sharing more info on the boat cruise you did to Cinque Terre? Was this out of La Spezia? Any chance you know or can find out the name of the tour company? This sounds like something I’d love for our Med cruise next summer!

Any thoughts on the Hyatt properties in Denver? Not the Thompson because I have a fnc I need to burn. I'd like to do the grand since it would check another brand off and it looks a little "fancier" but the HR is closer to the theater so I need more justification for my friend to pick the grand. Just 1 night, probably explore some of Denver and see Six. Hopefully get a late checkout, would do it the night before I leave so we aren't doing the long drive back and forth since she's out near Boulder. Would be early Dec.

@afan We just stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Denver last week. Nice property, we only stayed one night but got upgraded to a suite. It was a big, or at least was that night, business hotel which made the lobby a little chaotic. I would stay there again.

We're doing BOS-MAD-BCN next May to get to a Med DCL. I know Iberia Biz class isn't the best but are the flight attendants nice at least? Just wondering what to expect on such a long flight. Also hoping to have time to use a lounge shower in MAD during our 2.5 hr layover.
Is this the 9 night Disney one? This is the same cruise im sending my daughter and mother n law on. I see
crazy point costs but I think it may come down. I get Iberia a lot in my searches. That business class
point cost she got is good. Im not seeing that for my dates but I keep checking back. I would settle for
anything reasonable.

Last edited:
Is this the 9 night Disney one? This is the same cruise im sending my daughter and mother n law on. I see
crazy point costs but I think it may come down. I get Iberia a lot in my searches. That business class
point cost she got is good. Im not seeing that for my dates but I keep checking back. I would settle for
anything reasonable.
Iberia only releases 2 biz class and 2 PE seats for award bookings for each flight (not sure about economy). Once they’re gone, they’re gone, until maybe 1-2 weeks in advance when they might open up additional seats.

Iberia only releases 2 biz class and 2 PE seats for award bookings for each flight (not sure about economy). Once they’re gone, they’re gone, until maybe 1-2 weeks in advance when they might open up additional seats.
Thank you...that explains it. Im locked into dates so not much flexibility.

@afan We just stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Denver last week. Nice property, we only stayed one night but got upgraded to a suite. It was a big, or at least was that night, business hotel which made the lobby a little chaotic. I would stay there again.

Thanks!

The HR is at the convention center so I figured it would be a work hotel. We'll be there a Sat night so maybe it doesn't matter. Only an explorist so I never get much of an upgrade.

anything reasonable.
This is the DVC Member Cruise. It's just a week long. We booked a year out, last May. Good luck searching! Hopefully Air France will have some sale you can use. You can book Air Europa though Air France

Hi! Would you mind sharing more info on the boat cruise you did to Cinque Terre? Was this out of La Spezia? Any chance you know or can find out the name of the tour company? This sounds like something I’d love for our Med cruise next summer!
We were docked in Marina di Carrara and had to get a private transfer to La Spezia to meet our boats. So if you are docked in La Spezia, it would be easier. It was this one https://www.boatcinqueterre.com/en/

My Cap One Venture X yearly fee is coming up. I also have the Cap One Venture. Not sure I see any reason to keep this anymore. I was keeping for PP but I have CSR now, which includes restaurants. And seems all the places we fly into the PP is not at that location. If I cancel the Venture X - the Cap One can pretty much do all the same things right. Still cash out travel purchases 1:1 and transfer to partners?

Also the Cap One 360 Checking. Opened accounts for me an DH on 9/22. Transferred $250 on 9/28 and 9/29 from my Bank. $350 Bonus was in there on 10/10. One of the easier bonuses. Also, did US Bank Biz Bank Bonus - waiting on the 60 days to keep funds in there and that will be another $350.
Do you not use the $300 travel credit when you book through Cap One? I know that’s only part of the AF, but it’s something. Their PP is not quite as useful without the restaurants, I agree with that.

Anyone still have Delta Vacations vouchers from Covid cancellations? I still have $300 left.

They're expiring - book by 12/31/23 for travel through 12/31/24. Which is a little misleading since their calendar opens 331 in advance, so it's really travel by 11/26/24 (unless the reservation can be moved?). But I guess they've been more than generous with it, so I shouldn't complain lol.
I still had $1800 that needed to be booked by the end of the year (so Covid) plus about $4k from Covid vouchers that I have extended by then cancelling trips). Unlike in the past when I called this week they answered right away and it wasn’t too painful to make the changes I wanted from what I had done initially online. I am hoping the MQD’s will count for Delta status in 2024.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter