• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Your question reminded me to check if my Icelandair flight credited. We rarely fly them, so I credited my flight to Alaska since I have some miles from a SUB. The kids and my mom don't have any Alaska miles, so I credited their flight to Jetblue where it can be pooled. Just checked and everything credited even though the Icelandair website was wonky and kept blanking out the mileage numbers. :D

I did the same, credited my IcelandAir flights to Alaska and had a similar glitch. I haven't seen any mileage credit. How soon after your IcelandAir flight did your points post to Alaska, if you recall?

Was this for the Norwegian Prima cruise? I'd love to hear all the details when you get around to it. I would have loved to do that itinerary.

I have diversified points but heavy on UR (1M UR, 350k AA, 140k Delta, 60k MR). So a UR partner might be better. I did create a flying blue and British airways account to have ready.

Good for you! Those are some really, really solid balances! 350kAA is crazy valuable. I didn't realize until this year what a gold mine AA points are, so I would use those wisely.

There is a Chase to British Airways transfer bonus going on right now- maybe 25% or 30%. But BA also has high taxes/fees, so I haven't yet gone that route.

I have flown Flying Blue (AF/KLM) into Italy, so I would recommend looking at those routes. I'm seeing a few dates May 22 and 23 which have fares at 61k miles from Rome-Chicago. You can try other cities as well to see if you come up with those favorable fares.

One last piece of advice- if you see something that works, I recommend jumping on it. Good luck!

1694119463926.png

I did the same, credited my IcelandAir flights to Alaska and had a similar glitch. I haven't seen any mileage credit. How soon after your IcelandAir flight did your points post to Alaska, if you recall?

Was this for the Norwegian Prima cruise? I'd love to hear all the details when you get around to it. I would have loved to do that itinerary.

I think it took awhile to credit. But now it's backdated so I can't tell when it happened. We've been back for 2 months. I remember checking sometime after we were back (month later maybe?) and only the short PDX-SJC segment that was on Alaska (bought as one tix through Icelandair) was credited.

It was for our return flight after the NCL Prima cruise. We enjoyed it - nice new ship and great itinerary. I'll put together a write-up. :)

My impatience and fear the CIP won't get here in time. Instant approval on the BoA premier rewards. I called and they are expediting. It has a $100 airline credit, I will use that to upgrade to comfort plus on our Disney trip in a couple of weeks. Of course my one spend will meet the MSR on this card, and I will still be without an MSR for all other current charges, since I met my Ink already.
So come on Chase, let's get that CIP done soon!

My impatience and fear the CIP won't get here in time. Instant approval on the BoA premier rewards. I called and they are expediting. It has a $100 airline credit, I will use that to upgrade to comfort plus on our Disney trip in a couple of weeks. Of course my one spend will meet the MSR on this card, and I will still be without an MSR for all other current charges, since I met my Ink already.
And I am now 5/24 until 11/9. So that kinda stinks but whatever. P2 is only 3/24, with his next falling off in January.

Never looked into any BoA cards. Do their points transfer to any partners, or is the best use of those to cash out?
When was the last time you did AA Citi Biz?
Next month will be 48 months for me.
How strict are Citi on "business" cards? Are they like Inks? I could always use more AA miles... never had a biz card with them though.

Never looked into any BoA cards. Do their points transfer to any partners, or is the best use of those to cash out?

How strict are Citi on "business" cards? Are they like Inks? I could always use more AA miles... never had a biz card with them though.
From what I can tell, cash out. But that's fine at this point, $660 cash out, for my $4k spend, that I have no choice but to make. Plus the $100 air credit.

I wanted to update on all the cancellations from our Norway/Iceland cruise and land trip due to my son's accident.

AA flights with miles no problem (just rebooked today for next August)
Icelandair - non-refundable tickets but CSR trip cancellation came through and they approved the refund! Easy, organized process.
Norwegian - got the 25% back we were due for canceling and they extended a credit for the rest we had paid. Very grateful for this and we've booked the same cruise for next year.
AirBnB, car rental, Tour 1 and 2 - full refund
Tour 3 - they wouldn't refund the $372 paid (the policies are unclear at best, I thought I was due a refund with 6 weeks to spare) but I will file with Cap1X insurance.

All in all, we are out very little money. My son is hopefully close to back to normal although he still needs more physical therapy for pelvic mobility. He started school in a wheelchair but will be able to weight bear on Friday and use crutches or a cane. He has some hearing loss in one ear - I guess, the "but I didn't hear you" excuse is now the truth :) and hopefully time or surgery will heal it.

Back to credit cards - how long does it take for the Hilton FNC certificate to show up? The Amex email from 8/12 says I will receive an email from Hilton but no email and no certificate in my Hilton account.
Glad your DS is on the mend.
crutches are SO, SO tiring, especially when walking hallways, changing classes,
This is true. Last knee surgery I had I wasn't allowed back to work on crutches. They are considered a fall/slip risk and I had to be able to walk or use a wheelchair. For foot injuries, they allow the knee scooter things but no crutches.

My youngest DD just graduated from Bama this May. Roll Tide!

The nicer hotels in Tuscaloosa were $$$$$ for game weekends, parents weekends, move in, move out, and graduation.

Even the Super Motels motels were a few hundred a night. I could never bring myself to pay $500/night for a Days Inn. Many of the motels are not nice either. They would have been $69/night motels elsewhere.

My DH and I after trying a myriad of hotels in Tuscaloosa, some nice (Embassy, Hampton, Capstone), some passable (DaysInn, Wyndham), decided NONE were worth the upcharge in $$.

We decided we like staying at Hoover, AL instead. We prefer the Hampton there but started staying at the Hyatt Place on points after starting the points game. That Hyatt use to be 5K a night but I think it was adjusted upwards after the last program update.

We always go to the Costco in Hoover which is just across the road from the hotel of John Hawkins Pkway, to stock DD up for the school year. There are a lot of restaurants in that area and we never had to fight the crowds in Tuscaloosa after the first few years.

The drive is under an hour from Hoover but the highway super easy and fast drive. ALWAYS leave extra time for traffic and accidents.

In Tuscaloosa itself, we always enjoyed dinner at Half Shell Oyster House. There was another restaurant that we liked that was in the old railway station bu I think it closed, not sure if it reopened.

HTH. Have fun!
Thanks! We are staying at the Home2Suites since it was available on points. I am debating whether we walk from there (which seems long especially after the game since it doesn’t start until 6 pm) or try and find closer parking.

I had dinner the Half Shell in July and I am looking forward to taking DS there on Sat for lunch for some Royal Reds before the game.

OK, not sure I can wait for P2 CIP approval. I have a $4k spend in about 12 days. I hate to use a personal spot, but think I might have to. Thoughts on the BoA travel cards? I have never had a BoA card before.
Or a Cap One Biz card? Are they hard to get with a "business"?
BoA is awful to deal with customer service wise, but the premium travel card is an easy bonus. You cannot product change it later (in my experience) to a no fee card.

Good for you! Those are some really, really solid balances! 350kAA is crazy valuable. I didn't realize until this year what a gold mine AA points are, so I would use those wisely.

There is a Chase to British Airways transfer bonus going on right now- maybe 25% or 30%. But BA also has high taxes/fees, so I haven't yet gone that route.

I have flown Flying Blue (AF/KLM) into Italy, so I would recommend looking at those routes. I'm seeing a few dates May 22 and 23 which have fares at 61k miles from Rome-Chicago. You can try other cities as well to see if you come up with those favorable fares.

One last piece of advice- if you see something that works, I recommend jumping on it. Good luck!

View attachment 791961
I just booked 6 OW flights in econ on AA from MIA to LHR for next year for the cruise redo. My husband had 370k - why do you find them so valuable, if you don't mind sharing? The business class seems to be ridiculous amounts of points even 11 months out to the day.
Glad your DS is on the mend.

This is true. Last knee surgery I had I wasn't allowed back to work on crutches. They are considered a fall/slip risk and I had to be able to walk or use a wheelchair. For foot injuries, they allow the knee scooter things but no crutches.
He prefers the wheelchair as he says he immediately is drenched in sweat if he tries to get around campus on crutches. He can start weight bearing tomorrow but he's not sure how it will feel to use his leg again - he's thinking of a cane or an umbrella!! if at all possible. He seems to think he will look sophisticated :-)

I just booked 6 OW flights in econ on AA from MIA to LHR for next year for the cruise redo. My husband had 370k - why do you find them so valuable, if you don't mind sharing? The business class seems to be ridiculous amounts of points even 11 months out to the day.
Might be that you're bumping up against dynamic pricing. I think AA still uses an award chart for partner redemptions, so 70k in business class to Asia, India, the middle east and Africa. Plus I think the taxes and fees are much, much lower booking through AA. I also found some 10k OW flights to the Cayman Islands over Easter break, whereas they were 25-50k on other airlines.

I wanted to update on all the cancellations from our Norway/Iceland cruise and land trip due to my son's accident.

AA flights with miles no problem (just rebooked today for next August)
Icelandair - non-refundable tickets but CSR trip cancellation came through and they approved the refund! Easy, organized process.
Norwegian - got the 25% back we were due for canceling and they extended a credit for the rest we had paid. Very grateful for this and we've booked the same cruise for next year.
AirBnB, car rental, Tour 1 and 2 - full refund
Tour 3 - they wouldn't refund the $372 paid (the policies are unclear at best, I thought I was due a refund with 6 weeks to spare) but I will file with Cap1X insurance.

All in all, we are out very little money. My son is hopefully close to back to normal although he still needs more physical therapy for pelvic mobility. He started school in a wheelchair but will be able to weight bear on Friday and use crutches or a cane. He has some hearing loss in one ear - I guess, the "but I didn't hear you" excuse is now the truth :) and hopefully time or surgery will heal it.

Back to credit cards - how long does it take for the Hilton FNC certificate to show up? The Amex email from 8/12 says I will receive an email from Hilton but no email and no certificate in my Hilton account.
I'm glad your son is doing ok.... thanks for the DP's on the refunds, did you buy airfair thru the UR portal,or separately,and CSR refunded?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter